Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Footballers 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Surprisingly little comment on the goalkeeping situation for tomorrow. Eoin Carberry selected despite a series of significant errors for county and club over the past twelve months. His form for his club in championship was poor, the Killucan match in particular was a series of blunders, I was surprised he was named on the panel originally for 2020. I understand that Jordan Nugent is injured but surely Jason Daly from Lomans has shown consistently better form over the past two years. Hopefully Eoin will prove me wrong tomorrow but he certainly needs to eliminate the keeping errors or distribution mistakes that have regularly been a feature of his game.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 25/01/2020 15:59:14    2262180

Link

Really good football against Clare. Half forward line I thought were excellent - Kieran Maguire and half back line were tight and neat. Carberry made 3 excellent kickouts - but had three disasters which cost 3 points. Hopefully Carberry situation gets sorted.

Nice to get a win.

Maroon Heaven (Westmeath) - Posts: 23 - 26/01/2020 21:53:58    2262691

Link

Probably the better team overall with Ray Connellan the standout performer but we allowed Clare to get back into it in the last quarter and could easily have been a draw. Clare had alot of wides in 1st half. Heart in the mouth stuff with the short kickouts around the D. Obviously something they have been working on but high risk. Steady performances throughout I thought. Smith and McGivney took their goals well and Heslin once again showing importance of a reliable free take.
Seems to be strong squad with Stone, Loughlin, Mulligan, Holloway on the bench today with Egan, Martin and Gonoud hopefully back later in season.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 659 - 26/01/2020 22:50:36    2262719

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Probably the better team overall with Ray Connellan the standout performer but we allowed Clare to get back into it in the last quarter and could easily have been a draw. Clare had alot of wides in 1st half. Heart in the mouth stuff with the short kickouts around the D. Obviously something they have been working on but high risk. Steady performances throughout I thought. Smith and McGivney took their goals well and Heslin once again showing importance of a reliable free take.
Seems to be strong squad with Stone, Loughlin, Mulligan, Holloway on the bench today with Egan, Martin and Gonoud hopefully back later in season."
ray connellan will be a pivitol player for us going forward . he was very good on sunday and will improve with games
very impressive displays from jack smith and anthony mcgivney . overall a good win and a good start to the league

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1212 - 27/01/2020 12:18:25    2262846

Link

Ray Connellan was a big addition to the team. His accuracy and speed of foot passing was very good. O'Toole linked play well. Heslin quietly picked up some scores to keep us ticking over. The defense did alright. The ref gave soft frees to both teams which evened out in the end. Smyth I thought looked light in defense but took his goal excellently. Overall for a first outing of the year in a game we absolutely had to win I thought the lads did alright. Playing Cavan away with their confidence low after a hammering doesn't seem so bad now.
Considering the amount of close games over the weekend it's hard not to prefer the competitiveness of league football over the overly cautious "must not lose" football of Championship.

Juniorbleague (Westmeath) - Posts: 31 - 27/01/2020 13:05:09    2262864

Link

Wasn't overly happy with the teams performance yesterday and feel they have lots of improving to do, however a win is a win and 2 points on the table. Was very impressed with connellan, Smith, McGivney. Thought heslin had a quiet game from play but his frees were the difference in the end. Goalkeeping position needs to be looked at, some very dodgy and risky kickouts yesterday that on another day could have been punished more.
A big game next Saturday against a Cavan side who got a comprehensive beating Saturday and hopefully for our lads sake are lacking in confidence and with another win this Saturday night would be huge for Westmeath and give the lads lots of confidence to push further up the league table

Iarmhi04 (Westmeath) - Posts: 27 - 27/01/2020 15:43:27    2262936

Link

Anyone know when Egan and Martin will be back ?

JTB123 (Kildare) - Posts: 5 - 27/01/2020 15:43:40    2262937

Link

any team for this evening

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1212 - 01/02/2020 09:14:42    2264122

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "any team for this evening"
Same team named as last weekend. Wouldn't be surprised if there are some changes before thrown in; like Halligan coming in.

Matthew (None) - Posts: 916 - 01/02/2020 11:05:52    2264141

Link

Team released is the same as Clare game with Conor Slevin replacing suspended Killian Daly

Iarmhi04 (Westmeath) - Posts: 27 - 01/02/2020 11:06:52    2264142

Link

Very poor result yesterday evening.

Indiscipline costs us again. Decent first half but could/ should have been further ahead. Butchered goal chance and two black cards costs us two points. McGivney's (who otherwise played quite well) black stopped a promising attack and Coroon's meant a free in front of the posts was thrown in instead. But all in all 5 up a half time is good going.

In fairness to Cavan they kicked some fantastic scores in that 2nd half, it seemed everything they kicked went over, but the lack of challenges put in and lack of pressure on the shots was abysmal. I'm weary of not wanting to bash players too much but that 2nd half performance was the worst I've seen from a Westmeath team in years. To be up by 5, have that lead clawed back then push the lead out to 6 again, concede 1-14 in a half of football is criminal. Too many passengers in that team unfortunately!

Loughlin the only bright spark in the 2nd half, surely will start the next day.

Early in the year I know but hopefully it's not a sign of things to come. Hopefully only a blip. Onwards and upwards, come on Westmeath!

westmeathman99 (Westmeath) - Posts: 38 - 02/02/2020 09:51:47    2264390

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "Surprisingly little comment on the goalkeeping situation for tomorrow. Eoin Carberry selected despite a series of significant errors for county and club over the past twelve months. His form for his club in championship was poor, the Killucan match in particular was a series of blunders, I was surprised he was named on the panel originally for 2020. I understand that Jordan Nugent is injured but surely Jason Daly from Lomans has shown consistently better form over the past two years. Hopefully Eoin will prove me wrong tomorrow but he certainly needs to eliminate the keeping errors or distribution mistakes that have regularly been a feature of his game."
Criminal losing that game last night after having a 6 point lead in the second half. Luke was outstanding when we came on. I don't want to criticise any player but I really feel we need to try out another goalkeeper next weekend. A few very costly mistakes last night. A similar story against Clare but we got away with it. Holloway had a very good game and will only get better. Smith has really nailed down the corner back position also. Vital that we pick up 2 points next weekend now.

Matthew (None) - Posts: 916 - 02/02/2020 12:25:06    2264423

Link

Loughlin the only bright spark in the 2nd half, surely will start the next day.

But he still wont train and will still let us down when it counts. Fantastic footballer but was thrown off the panel twice last year. Didnt think jack would be walked over like that

the21yardline (Westmeath) - Posts: 119 - 02/02/2020 19:22:18    2264593

Link

Indiscipline a major issue now. We seem to have various coaches but none of them addressing the critical issue of tackling. Three black cards and various yellows and one red are proving significant obstacles. Results today didn't help our cause. Division looks like it's the most competitive one

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 02/02/2020 19:33:14    2264603

Link

Replying To the21yardline:  "Loughlin the only bright spark in the 2nd half, surely will start the next day.

But he still wont train and will still let us down when it counts. Fantastic footballer but was thrown off the panel twice last year. Didnt think jack would be walked over like that"
Don't agree with his antics over the last couple of years. But the fact is he is arguably the best footballer in the county and has made himself available. If he is trusted to be brought on and do as well as he did yesterday he has to start next round.

Absurd to suggest he shouldn't. I'm open to correction on this but I heard he has started to pull his act together and shown good commitment thus far. I could be way off the mark with that.

21yardline you may have better sources than me.

westmeathman99 (Westmeath) - Posts: 38 - 02/02/2020 20:34:44    2264638

Link

Loughlin in the army in Galway and has limited availability until training completed. No doubt we will be seeing more of him.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 659 - 02/02/2020 22:55:25    2264699

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "Indiscipline a major issue now. We seem to have various coaches but none of them addressing the critical issue of tackling. Three black cards and various yellows and one red are proving significant obstacles. Results today didn't help our cause. Division looks like it's the most competitive one"
Agree with you re the tackling situation but lack of discipline was not the only reason we lost Saturday night. The amount of unforced turn overs was cruel. Players in possession kicking it down the field straight to the opposition particularly in the second half and Cavan came straight back up and took their scores. We seem to be very uncomfortable with holding the ball up and creating openings. Booting the ball forward in the hopes that Heslin might win a mark or one of the pacier forwards might get on the end of it shows a lack in real game plans or strategies.

The_Fonz (Westmeath) - Posts: 130 - 03/02/2020 20:01:50    2264937

Link

Replying To The_Fonz:  "Agree with you re the tackling situation but lack of discipline was not the only reason we lost Saturday night. The amount of unforced turn overs was cruel. Players in possession kicking it down the field straight to the opposition particularly in the second half and Cavan came straight back up and took their scores. We seem to be very uncomfortable with holding the ball up and creating openings. Booting the ball forward in the hopes that Heslin might win a mark or one of the pacier forwards might get on the end of it shows a lack in real game plans or strategies."
I think that's just the calibre of players we have in the team that they kick 50/50 balls and hope for the best, but the problem is fire power in the forwards. Ger Egan and kieran Martin are obviously two huge loses. Luke hasn't been starting and he is probably the best forward in the county. No garrycastle involvement in the forwards even though gardener was one of the best players in the county championship and eoghan Monaghan provided lots of scores too during their run to becoming county champions. We need our best players playing and unfortunately we don't seem to have the best players in the county opting into the panel.

Iarmhi04 (Westmeath) - Posts: 27 - 03/02/2020 23:58:17    2264985

Link

Replying To Iarmhi04:  "I think that's just the calibre of players we have in the team that they kick 50/50 balls and hope for the best, but the problem is fire power in the forwards. Ger Egan and kieran Martin are obviously two huge loses. Luke hasn't been starting and he is probably the best forward in the county. No garrycastle involvement in the forwards even though gardener was one of the best players in the county championship and eoghan Monaghan provided lots of scores too during their run to becoming county champions. We need our best players playing and unfortunately we don't seem to have the best players in the county opting into the panel."
Agree about the forward situation. It's as if Cooney is reading too much into getting his 15 'best' players on the field rather than 6 best forwards. The half forward line of O' Toole, Lynch and McGivney can all do a job but they're never going to get more than a couple of scores between them. I'd rather see a couple of forwards who are scorers in chief for their clubs play either side of O Toole and get a chance for the county.

Just to note I'm not saying the Lynch and McGivney aren't good enough to start I'd just prefer to see out and out forwards play there.

westmeathman99 (Westmeath) - Posts: 38 - 04/02/2020 10:46:50    2265028

Link

people here were looing for Jack Cooney to get the job- now he has it and again nothing only criticism. It was the same when Tom Cribbin was there and he got us to two Leinster finals.

finnyfifs (Westmeath) - Posts: 34 - 04/02/2020 11:24:21    2265045

Link