Monaghan Forum

NFL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Darren Hughes black card, I don't think it was for arguing with the ref over the 45. The ref spoke to the linesman who I think drew his attention back to a "bump" near the canal end goals on a Dublin lad. He probably cited Hughes for a body check. It probably happened a minute or two before the play stopped. (I could be wrong though)

Tim_NicebutDim (Monaghan) - Posts: 317 - 11/02/2020 09:36:52    2266984

Link

Replying To Tim_NicebutDim:  "Darren Hughes black card, I don't think it was for arguing with the ref over the 45. The ref spoke to the linesman who I think drew his attention back to a "bump" near the canal end goals on a Dublin lad. He probably cited Hughes for a body check. It probably happened a minute or two before the play stopped. (I could be wrong though)"
Yes, it was most definitely for the body check. Darren would want to be careful picking up all of these black cards. Does 3 still equal a one game suspension?

monman246 (Monaghan) - Posts: 40 - 11/02/2020 10:56:32    2267004

Link

Replying To Tim_NicebutDim:  "Darren Hughes black card, I don't think it was for arguing with the ref over the 45. The ref spoke to the linesman who I think drew his attention back to a "bump" near the canal end goals on a Dublin lad. He probably cited Hughes for a body check. It probably happened a minute or two before the play stopped. (I could be wrong though)"
Oh, I missed that - it looked liked it was for remonstrating with the referee. My mistake!

OrielPower (Monaghan) - Posts: 99 - 11/02/2020 13:26:51    2267054

Link

Replying To hardcore:  "Replying To hardcore: "Pick our battles...................Go to Croke Park try something new, stay within 5 to 7 points of them even closer,hopefully no injuries and no stupid sending off's.

Mayo at home in two weeks is a must and winable game that should be targeted."
Makes no sense. Go to Croke Park and try to win. Why would you want to throw a game? It's probably one of the most important games of the year.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1064 - 08/02/2020 11:50:02

Where did i say we should throw the game...............................i said try something new and see were that gets us,New Positions for a few players and different tactics.............but its clear now this management team is sticking with this plan as we went flat out in the last 3 games with nearly our full team,bar Fintan Kelly,Colin Walshe.............maybe Killian Lavelle.............

A great effort but how did we not see it out,theres enough of them around now to know what to do!!!

Now if anyone on here has no complaints with what the Ref done lastnight then we may lie down and let every team and officials in the country walk all over us.It was an outrageous act of making sure we didnt win the game, and it is not the first time this Ref has made sure he made live hard for us...........even when he is doing the line he makes sure he gets involved.

Why blow for the game to finish when Dublin kicked the equliser???? thats the give away,why stop there.

Did he say to players or anyone he was adding an extra 4 minutes???

Nothing will be done about it RTE so called pundits had no problem with it and either will the GAA.......but you will be dragged up in front of a commitee if you step out of line in a match but the Ref walks away happy he did his against a team he clearly has it in for........................shamefull from the top down!!"
The referee was actually correct to add the extra time onto the 6 minutes. We got screwed over with a referee not doing that before (Omagh 2011)

However, the reason he added the extra 3/4 minutes was becasue he was running around giving players pointless yellow cards. I'm pretty sure he wasted around 2 minutes giving out 4 yellows when there was no need for it whatsoever.

Adler (Monaghan) - Posts: 744 - 11/02/2020 18:50:46    2267125

Link

Replying To Adler:  "The referee was actually correct to add the extra time onto the 6 minutes. We got screwed over with a referee not doing that before (Omagh 2011)

However, the reason he added the extra 3/4 minutes was becasue he was running around giving players pointless yellow cards. I'm pretty sure he wasted around 2 minutes giving out 4 yellows when there was no need for it whatsoever."
Pat McEneaney was on the GAA Hour and he confirmed that time spent for issuing yellow cards and for free kicks being taken do not warrant more time being added one as this is "playing time". If time wasting over free kicks is occurring, it's a throw up. So the extra 3 and a half minutes after the original 6 minutes of additional time was incorrect. It should have been maybe 2 or 2 and a half at most. Anyway, Monaghan made enough mistakes and still got a draw. Valuable lessons to be learned and hopefully those will benefit them later in the season.

The team is playing a lovely style of football. Surging from all over the pitch, plenty of support runs and incisiveness. The focus is no longer getting the ball to Mansy for every attack and that has removed a predictability from us. Still issues around some of Banty's main problems regarding player subs and the squad use in general - Kieran Hughes off and then on......we shouldn't be surprised - deja Vu of how Rory Woods was used. It wasn't good back then and it isn't good now.

sleater (Monaghan) - Posts: 110 - 12/02/2020 09:39:19    2267214

Link

Well before Saturday most of us would have taken a point back from Croke Park so despite all the ups and downs lets go with that.

There are no easy game left for us in this league (including Meath) so it will go down to the wire in all of the games including Kerry in Inniskeen where I wouldn't rule out our chances.

You would think with the experience this team and these players has built up over the past 5 or 6 years allied to Banty's never say die attitude and new back room team we will have enough quality to scrape through for another year.

And then there's the Ulster Championship..........................

Vofster (Monaghan) - Posts: 5 - 12/02/2020 21:59:16    2267421

Link

Question from a Meath man?
Am I right in thinking Rory Beggan scored from a similar distance in Croke Park a few years ago???

GenderNeutral (Meath) - Posts: 26 - 12/02/2020 22:24:42    2267427

Link

Replying To GenderNeutral:  "Question from a Meath man?
Am I right in thinking Rory Beggan scored from a similar distance in Croke Park a few years ago???"
He did and it was also in a league game v Dublin. Semi final as I recall. We lost by a point. Difference was it was a glorious spring afternoon as opposed to what he had to contend with on Saturday night. Also don't underestimate the injury being treated while he kicked. That was in his eyeline. When I took frees, a sweet paper could throw me off!

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 411 - 13/02/2020 00:27:10    2267439

Link

Replying To GenderNeutral:  "Question from a Meath man?
Am I right in thinking Rory Beggan scored from a similar distance in Croke Park a few years ago???"
https://youtu.be/NuGVSukD6So

This is the score. Watch till the end to get a better angle. Nothing surprises me with the man anymore, must have scored more 65's than some hurlers. Seen him do it twice before for Scotstown in club championship a few years back in Clontibret

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 673 - 13/02/2020 10:14:37    2267459

Link

Replying To MonaghanGlory:  "https://youtu.be/NuGVSukD6So

This is the score. Watch till the end to get a better angle. Nothing surprises me with the man anymore, must have scored more 65's than some hurlers. Seen him do it twice before for Scotstown in club championship a few years back in Clontibret"
He's brilliant. He's the heartbeat of the team. Rarely makes a mistake and is solid. We are so lucky to have him and he is an inspiration to young footballers within the county that the role of a goalkeeper is so important. Any young lad wishing to be a goalie only has to look at rory and what he does. Brilliant Rory and keep it up.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 165 - 13/02/2020 11:08:38    2267476

Link

Replying To monaghanmad:  "He's brilliant. He's the heartbeat of the team. Rarely makes a mistake and is solid. We are so lucky to have him and he is an inspiration to young footballers within the county that the role of a goalkeeper is so important. Any young lad wishing to be a goalie only has to look at rory and what he does. Brilliant Rory and keep it up."
No question of Rory Beggan's importance to the team in kicking balls off the ground.
There seems to be a problem in regard to who controls the square for incoming free kicks. I mention this only because it is this problem that cost us victory over Kerry in 2018 when Clifford scored the equalizer in the last few minutes with only Beggan and one other on our goal line.

This was followed in Croke Park when Tyrone scored the winning goal in the last few minutes. Peter Harte's run was pursued by the entire Monaghan defence that was caught up -field leaving Darren Hughes on the goal line to defend.

There are signs of similar problems this year. we lost in Galway by allowing a Galway players to receive ball behind our defence and score two points. This was repeated in Croker against Dublin. Incoming free flicked to Mc Manamon standing behind the Monaghan defence and stuck into the back of our net.

We were fortunate to get the draw.

Normally good goalies organize the backs for incoming frees. The "mark" now probably will lead to more of this aerial bombardment. Rory is the biggest of our defenders and In my view should attack high balls floating into the square with 4 of our team stationed on the goal line.

We are not defending the goals. and are open to conceding scores in the final stages of the game. Tyrone, on the other hand, when they are leading in the final stages of a game, have a barrier of men standing on the goal line.

Highcatch (Monaghan) - Posts: 22 - 13/02/2020 16:26:39    2267542

Link

Replying To sleater:  "Pat McEneaney was on the GAA Hour and he confirmed that time spent for issuing yellow cards and for free kicks being taken do not warrant more time being added one as this is "playing time". If time wasting over free kicks is occurring, it's a throw up. So the extra 3 and a half minutes after the original 6 minutes of additional time was incorrect. It should have been maybe 2 or 2 and a half at most. Anyway, Monaghan made enough mistakes and still got a draw. Valuable lessons to be learned and hopefully those will benefit them later in the season.

The team is playing a lovely style of football. Surging from all over the pitch, plenty of support runs and incisiveness. The focus is no longer getting the ball to Mansy for every attack and that has removed a predictability from us. Still issues around some of Banty's main problems regarding player subs and the squad use in general - Kieran Hughes off and then on......we shouldn't be surprised - deja Vu of how Rory Woods was used. It wasn't good back then and it isn't good now."
And David Gough completey contradicted Pat McEnaney on 2fm saying he actually does stop his watch for such occurences. As they say in the US, go figure.

Adler (Monaghan) - Posts: 744 - 13/02/2020 17:52:58    2267556

Link

Replying To Highcatch:  "No question of Rory Beggan's importance to the team in kicking balls off the ground.
There seems to be a problem in regard to who controls the square for incoming free kicks. I mention this only because it is this problem that cost us victory over Kerry in 2018 when Clifford scored the equalizer in the last few minutes with only Beggan and one other on our goal line.

This was followed in Croke Park when Tyrone scored the winning goal in the last few minutes. Peter Harte's run was pursued by the entire Monaghan defence that was caught up -field leaving Darren Hughes on the goal line to defend.

There are signs of similar problems this year. we lost in Galway by allowing a Galway players to receive ball behind our defence and score two points. This was repeated in Croker against Dublin. Incoming free flicked to Mc Manamon standing behind the Monaghan defence and stuck into the back of our net.

Normally good goalies organize the backs for incoming frees. The "mark" now probably will lead to more of this aerial bombardment. Rory is the biggest of our defenders and In my view should attack high balls floating into the square with 4 of our team stationed on the goal line.

We are not defending the goals. and are open to conceding scores in the final stages of the game. Tyrone, on the other hand, when they are leading in the final stages of a game, have a barrier of men standing on the goal line."
mcmenimen followed a very poorly miskicked ball (hit by himself) and just kept going. he ran in and made his own luck. i don't think anyone could've foreseen that ball plummeting through 4 monaghan defenders only to bounce favorably for the other dublin player to slap it into space...u could almost call it a freak goal. just like vrs. tyrone and kerry...but i take your point - we're definitely susceptible to goals and particularly late ones.

Rotation at the rear is important - will definitely be easier when a fully fit walsh and finty come back...those lads at the back put in a serious shift vrs dublin. it's not sustainable for an entire game.

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 93 - 14/02/2020 09:15:14    2267612

Link

Replying To MalsBalls:  "
Replying To Highcatch:  "No question of Rory Beggan's importance to the team in kicking balls off the ground.

We are not defending the goals. and are open to conceding scores in the final stages of the game. Tyrone, on the other hand, when they are leading in the final stages of a game, have a barrier of men standing on the goal line."
mcmenimen followed a very poorly miskicked ball (hit by himself) and just kept going. he ran in and made his own luck. i don't think anyone could've foreseen that ball plummeting through 4 monaghan defenders only to bounce favorably for the other dublin player to slap it into space...u could almost call it a freak goal. just like vrs. tyrone and kerry...but i take your point - we're definitely susceptible to goals and particularly late ones.

Rotation at the rear is important - will definitely be easier when a fully fit walsh and finty come back...those lads at the back put in a serious shift vrs dublin. it's not sustainable for an entire game."
Wasn't a freak goal. Very poor defending. Ball should never have been allowed to bounce in there. When you defend badly forwards will get goals.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1067 - 14/02/2020 11:05:31    2267634

Link

Replying To supermon:  "
Replying To MalsBalls:  "[quote=Highcatch:  "No question of Rory Beggan's importance to the team in kicking balls off the ground.

Rotation at the rear is important - will definitely be easier when a fully fit walsh and finty come back...those lads at the back put in a serious shift vrs dublin. it's not sustainable for an entire game."
Wasn't a freak goal. Very poor defending. Ball should never have been allowed to bounce in there. When you defend badly forwards will get goals."]That's what i said - I said "u could almost call it a freak goal"...and acknowledged the poor defending - just worded it differently...but i wouldn't put anyone down in the 69th minute of a game. my main point was the need for fresh legs at the back at that stage.

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 93 - 14/02/2020 11:44:37    2267639

Link

The goal was so easily avoidable too - I've no idea why lads were trying to catch it in a crowded area in front of the goals, just put a fist to it and get it out of the danger area. Do that and we see out the game with relative comfort imo, the goal was obviously a huge momentum swing.

As I said before, lessons learned hopefully. I'd rather it happen here than in the summer, but hopefully if a similar situation arises later in the year, we'll deal with it right.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 841 - 14/02/2020 17:22:42    2267720

Link