Monaghan Forum

NFL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To jim88:  "Ya must have seen a different panel to everyone else."
Apart from Kerr and o Hanlon who else should be on it ?

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1435 - 16/12/2019 06:17:04    2255079

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "Apart from Kerr and o Hanlon who else should be on it ?"
Where is Ryan McAnespie one of our best players the last couple of years, i would also have David Garland in the squad better than some of the forwards that are there.

Totalballer (Monaghan) - Posts: 6 - 16/12/2019 11:53:48    2255121

Link

Replying To Totalballer:  "Where is Ryan McAnespie one of our best players the last couple of years, i would also have David Garland in the squad better than some of the forwards that are there."
Ryan is on it. Garland opted out last year and is probably too small for inter county level.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1435 - 16/12/2019 12:16:49    2255125

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "Ryan is on it. Garland opted out last year and is probably too small for inter county level."
My mistake missed his name on the list.
If your skillful enough size shouldn't matter that much, same goes for Donal Meegan from Inniskeen another small but very skillful player that knows were the target is.
Both players are not much smaller than Bannigan who is on the panel, but for me are much better players.
But that's just my opinion, this is the panel that banty has picked so i'll get behind them and hope that we can have a successful year

Totalballer (Monaghan) - Posts: 6 - 16/12/2019 15:19:18    2255162

Link

Replying To Totalballer:  "My mistake missed his name on the list.
If your skillful enough size shouldn't matter that much, same goes for Donal Meegan from Inniskeen another small but very skillful player that knows were the target is.
Both players are not much smaller than Bannigan who is on the panel, but for me are much better players.
But that's just my opinion, this is the panel that banty has picked so i'll get behind them and hope that we can have a successful year"
Imagine garland in the heat of battle in the all ireland semi final against Tyrone. Size goes a long way in the big games especially now with the mark rule being introduced.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 167 - 16/12/2019 16:51:04    2255175

Link

Replying To Totalballer:  "My mistake missed his name on the list.
But that's just my opinion, this is the panel that banty has picked so i'll get behind them and hope that we can have a successful year"
Agreed hopefully. Just dont see garland making a difference at this level. Banty needs to find a 15-21 to get us back to an ulster final which is achievable later next year with the draw way it is. Am just glad the other players over 30 after the few retirements we have had have not walked away also as we will need the experience of Darren hughes drew wylie and Karl o Connell along with McManus for year ahead. Banty adding lavelle and getting Chris McGuinness back involved are good moves. We really could be doing with lads like Jack and Conor mc stepping up this year and taking the mantle on as Mansy should not be flogged to death in the league. Finally great to see niall Kearns and Kieran Hughes two of our best players named on the first panel this year. They were v badly missed last year's league when we were v fortunate to stay up.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1435 - 16/12/2019 17:40:54    2255182

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "Agreed hopefully. Just dont see garland making a difference at this level. Banty needs to find a 15-21 to get us back to an ulster final which is achievable later next year with the draw way it is. Am just glad the other players over 30 after the few retirements we have had have not walked away also as we will need the experience of Darren hughes drew wylie and Karl o Connell along with McManus for year ahead. Banty adding lavelle and getting Chris McGuinness back involved are good moves. We really could be doing with lads like Jack and Conor mc stepping up this year and taking the mantle on as Mansy should not be flogged to death in the league. Finally great to see niall Kearns and Kieran Hughes two of our best players named on the first panel this year. They were v badly missed last year's league when we were v fortunate to stay up."
That's a good squad. Most obvious omissions are Garland, Stephen O'Hanlon and Barry Kerr but if they don't want to commit then not much you can do about it. Some are there for experience for U-20's such as Irwin (a superb prospect if he continues progressing the way he has to date). Having McGuiness back sort of balances that out though. Still hands down the best goalscorer in the county and you'd hope coaching from Laverty would boost his

Good to see Lavelle there as we need extra midfield options and the squad is top heavy with attacking players which obviously looks like the biggest area for improvement. Hopefully the same old reliables aren't flogged til death during the league and that these new lads are given enough game time to prove themselves. I think the likes of Donnelly, Woods, Mulligan and Lavelle have much to give.

Mickey Geehan I believe is training with U-20's

sleater (Monaghan) - Posts: 110 - 17/12/2019 09:40:30    2255287

Link

Replying To sleater:  "That's a good squad. Most obvious omissions are Garland, Stephen O'Hanlon and Barry Kerr but if they don't want to commit then not much you can do about it. Some are there for experience for U-20's such as Irwin (a superb prospect if he continues progressing the way he has to date). Having McGuiness back sort of balances that out though. Still hands down the best goalscorer in the county and you'd hope coaching from Laverty would boost his

Good to see Lavelle there as we need extra midfield options and the squad is top heavy with attacking players which obviously looks like the biggest area for improvement. Hopefully the same old reliables aren't flogged til death during the league and that these new lads are given enough game time to prove themselves. I think the likes of Donnelly, Woods, Mulligan and Lavelle have much to give.

Mickey Geehan I believe is training with U-20's"
Lavelle picked up a nasty injury during the Ulster Club semi final. Doubt we'll see too much of him for a while. He was arguably the best player in the entire Monaghan club championship, was consistently brilliant.
Kevin Loughran could easily slot in at corner back this year, would not be surprised if he gets a place in the team. Serious player.

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 73 - 17/12/2019 11:02:28    2255308

Link

I'd heard Lavelle looked in bad shape after the Ulster game, but didn't know it was that bad - what is the extent of his injury? It would be great if he could get back in time to get some game time through the league, he's a great prospect at midfield.

I was a little surprised his Clontibret midfield partner Hughes wasn't called up too. Probably a bit more raw, but he's a big strong lad and only 21 I believe, he also had a good year. We've often lacked a bit of size in midfield, so I wouldn't have minded him at least being introduced to the setup and given a run in the McKenna cup anyway.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 847 - 17/12/2019 12:39:19    2255326

Link

Surely this panel has to be open to change when the clubs are finished with there all Ireland prospects. Should be at least another r2 if not 3 magheracloone players on it. Banty is picking a few favorites too also. Namely his clubmen. is it a 2020 panel or just McKenna cup and league??

detruth (Monaghan) - Posts: 192 - 17/12/2019 14:37:13    2255354

Link

How is darren Freeman not in the panel? Best player in junior all year!

Monaghanmad99 (Monaghan) - Posts: 19 - 17/12/2019 19:29:53    2255404

Link

Will the lads from Blackhill and Magheracloone on the panel see much gametime in the McKenna cup with them preparing for all-Ireland semi-finals?

monaghanman99 (Monaghan) - Posts: 26 - 20/12/2019 09:58:36    2255668

Link

Replying To monaghanman99:  "Will the lads from Blackhill and Magheracloone on the panel see much gametime in the McKenna cup with them preparing for all-Ireland semi-finals?"
Like there's so many of them... Very little analysis of the squad done on here. You can't accuse SMcE if being biased in favour of South Monaghan clubs. If you were to pick a team from South Monaghan would the the two Corduff lads get in it??

Anyway the propaganda machine is alive and well, let there be no doubt that only one (Corey) of the 4 retirees from last season played an intermittent part in last year, the other three Doogan (injured), Mone and Duffy were not used to any affect really. Their retirement cannot be used as any excuse. This is not a team in need of rebuilding, it's in need of a better attacking dimension, we are a top 8 team

The truth is this a seasoned team that should be good enough to stay in Division 1 given the draw we have. Only Dublin, Kerry and Mayo have more experience in Div 1

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 751 - 21/12/2019 18:36:51    2255817

Link

Replying To HB245:  "Lavelle picked up a nasty injury during the Ulster Club semi final. Doubt we'll see too much of him for a while. He was arguably the best player in the entire Monaghan club championship, was consistently brilliant.
Kevin Loughran could easily slot in at corner back this year, would not be surprised if he gets a place in the team. Serious player."
Loughran was a top minor in 2013 when we won Ulster but saw him against Cork in under 21 2 years later and seriously beaten for pace at half back. Hope I'm wrong but Malachy obviously didn't rate him. Unless he can slot in at corner back !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 165 - 23/12/2019 00:02:52    2255933

Link

I think 2020 will be a non-event for us unfortunately. A change of manager in Q4 & rebuilding for 21.

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 735 - 27/12/2019 19:49:30    2256259

Link

Adding the fixtures for the coming League, Galway and Donegal being the furthest trip this year.
I miss the alternating trips to Kerry\Cork each year.

Sunday 26 January
FL Division 1 round 1
Galway v Monaghan, Pearse Stadium, 2.30pm

Sunday 2 February
FL Division 1 round 2
Monaghan v Tyrone, Castleblayney, 2pm

Saturday 8 February
FL Division 1 round 3
Dublin v Monaghan, Croke Park, 7pm

Sunday 23 February
FL Division 1 round 4
Monaghan v Mayo, Clones, 2pm

Sunday 1 March
FL Division 1 round 5
Donegal v Monaghan, Ballyshannon, 2pm

Sunday 15 March
FL Division 1 round 6
Monaghan v Kerry, Inniskeen, 2pm

Sunday 22 March
FL Division 1 round 7
Monaghan v Meath, Clones, 2pm

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 727 - 09/01/2020 10:30:39    2258352

Link

Whatever anyone thinks of the McKenna cup, its done & dusted now, so on to the league & hopefully upwards.
Galway will be tough, but by all means beatable. Living in Galway, they are bit like ourselves, they d'ont know whats coming.
Comer seems to be back to his form of 2 years, strong running & hard to stop. Shane Walshe is in top form, can score of either foot, a class act ...... If we can contain these two, then we have a massive chance.

Despite some people being negative on this forum, I've no doubt our brilliant supporters will rally around the boy's again.
Our win in the Super8 in Salthill is still talked about in Galway, especially the unbelievable support Monaghan had.

Lovely memories, here's hoping for more next Sunday!... hon the Farney!

Monaghan Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 388 - 19/01/2020 12:36:08    2260734

Link

Don't want to be negative - just realistic. My concern about Galway is that Joyce wants to play a more attacking running game with them this year - and what better opponents could they have than a Monaghan team not too sure of themselves or what their game plan is! Could be a very difficult day to start off our campaign.

Hopefully the Corofin boys will be given a break and not come back in with the County next weekend.

Vofster (Monaghan) - Posts: 5 - 19/01/2020 13:59:58    2260749

Link

We have to beat Tyrone and Meath at home and pick up something somewhere else if we are going to stay up. This game being the opener could go either way as first games aren't really good indicators of season ahead remember last year? So might be our best bet to get that other result. Either way Tyrone in blayney is a must win if we are going to stay up.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1435 - 19/01/2020 14:06:54    2260754

Link

Replying To Monaghan Exile:  "Whatever anyone thinks of the McKenna cup, its done & dusted now, so on to the league & hopefully upwards.
Galway will be tough, but by all means beatable. Living in Galway, they are bit like ourselves, they d'ont know whats coming.
Comer seems to be back to his form of 2 years, strong running & hard to stop. Shane Walshe is in top form, can score of either foot, a class act ...... If we can contain these two, then we have a massive chance.

Despite some people being negative on this forum, I've no doubt our brilliant supporters will rally around the boy's again.
Our win in the Super8 in Salthill is still talked about in Galway, especially the unbelievable support Monaghan had.

Lovely memories, here's hoping for more next Sunday!... hon the Farney!"
Unfortunately travelling numbers will be reduced significantly, there is a lot of factors the poor performances last year. I think the management is the main reason attendances will drop, from talking to lot of genuine gael in the county, they have lost interested in the county team over the managerial appointment. Their is an anger amongst supporters in Monaghan over the appointment. Ta

Hopefully he proves a lot of people wrong for the players sake.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1834 - 19/01/2020 14:25:53    2260757

Link