Antrim Forum

Junior Hurling

(Oldest Posts First)

So gort hammered rasharkin in the junior semi and done the same to glenravel in the quarters. What good does it do anyone that gort and playing junior, themselves included. Walked div 3 and about to walk junior hurling too.

cuchullan (Antrim) - Posts: 20 - 19/09/2019 13:56:38    2237553

Link

Replying To cuchullan:  "So gort hammered rasharkin in the junior semi and done the same to glenravel in the quarters. What good does it do anyone that gort and playing junior, themselves included. Walked div 3 and about to walk junior hurling too."
This isn't always a bad thing for clubs depending on the club though. We seen it with St Endas last year, playing division 1 but opted for intermediate championship. This done them wonders as they strolled through Antrim pretty untouched and the went the whole way to an AI final in croker, getting great publicity and rightfully so a great backing from the rest of county in terms of support.

There is a thread on the main page for Club Championships, I would like to know your opinions on who you think will do the damage if you want to take a look?

boman11 (Antrim) - Posts: 123 - 19/09/2019 18:16:50    2237643

Link

Replying To boman11:  "This isn't always a bad thing for clubs depending on the club though. We seen it with St Endas last year, playing division 1 but opted for intermediate championship. This done them wonders as they strolled through Antrim pretty untouched and the went the whole way to an AI final in croker, getting great publicity and rightfully so a great backing from the rest of county in terms of support.

There is a thread on the main page for Club Championships, I would like to know your opinions on who you think will do the damage if you want to take a look?"
Strolling through Antrim untouched is exactly the point I am making. A division one club playing intermediate shouldn't be allowed.

cuchullan (Antrim) - Posts: 20 - 28/09/2019 17:17:01    2239851

Link

Replying To cuchullan:  "Strolling through Antrim untouched is exactly the point I am making. A division one club playing intermediate shouldn't be allowed."
well somebody has to win it so inevitably someone will have to go throw untouched but always seems to be complaints when a weaker division 1 team would enter intermediate or weaker division 2 entering Junior. Look at St Pats in Junior this year. played division 2 all year and opted for Junior which was a good call as they wouldn't have stood much a chance in Intermediate. Don't see anything wrong with it in my opinion

boman11 (Antrim) - Posts: 123 - 04/10/2019 09:19:34    2241276

Link

Someone has to win it ?
Nonsense- Its a cop-out and its not fair on the lower league club.
Basically its a club saying we are not prepared to put in the work to take the next step and instead we will stay in our wee comfort zone when it comes to championship, despite the fact that we are getting more competitive and higher standard of games in the higher division.
Some clubs should be embarrassed in my opinion.

Finsceal (None) - Posts: 549 - 07/10/2019 10:21:53    2241738

Link

Not a fan of it myself to be honest and would like to see the leagues and Championships aligned so that if Div 1 you play Senior, Div 2 Intermediate and Div 3 Junior. I would even let the winners of the Junior and Intermediate play in the same competition the following year - provided they haven't been promoted as well to the next Division up, and not like it currently is where the winner of each have to automatically play up a Grade the next year.

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 3890 - 08/10/2019 15:15:40    2242071

Link

Would like you opinion on this situation.. my club, aldergrove just won intermediate football playing division 2 and will play division 2 next year. As we are still division 2 do you think we should be able to play intermediate championship again next year? I Don't.

This is why leagues and championships are separate.

boman11 (Antrim) - Posts: 123 - 11/10/2019 08:47:26    2242730

Link

Replying To boman11:  "Would like you opinion on this situation.. my club, aldergrove just won intermediate football playing division 2 and will play division 2 next year. As we are still division 2 do you think we should be able to play intermediate championship again next year? I Don't.

This is why leagues and championships are separate."
If you are aligning leagues and Championship then Aldergrove would still be an Intermediate team in that respect so I would let them play again but I would also have it that, in the situation you are in, you could play up a Grade if you wanted.

Personally speaking if I was in your situation in the above setup I would prob look and see where at, see that finished in bottom half of Div 2 and have a 2 year Ulster/AI plan. Go as far as possible this year then try to retain the Intermediate title and then have the experience to go again. But you know your club better than me and what realistic potential there is to get a run going in the Senior next year.

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 3890 - 11/10/2019 21:12:39    2242909

Link