Kerry Forum

Kerry V Dublin

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Alright lads - at this stage this argument is going around like a goldfish in his bowl.
Everyone knows the outstanding contribution that's been made to our great GAA tradition by famous nursery schools and legendary players and people who devoted a career to teaching and as a former pupil of Jacko in the Green I have first hand experience.
But our great history is not the preserve of the schoolyards alone as the likes of Dr Eamon, Dwyer, and now PK have shown.

Can we get back to talking about the match and the replay?
If ye were Gavin and the Dublin brain trust what would ye be planning for the final.
And what can or should Kerry do differently?

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5195 - 04/09/2019 19:12:29    2232846

Link

Replying To GreenAndGold74:  "Question. Have the media brainwashed everybody into believing that Dublin were/are unbeatable?. There is no disputing they are a formidable team."
Think that's pretty obviously been the case judging by the previews of these well paid "experts", you'd swear they had never seen Seanie or Clifford in action, let alone Moran!!
The problem with some much of the world today, not just journalism, is there is no time for nuance or context.
You're either the greatest thing ever or a bottler and overrated.
No one ever doubted they are a formidable bunch of young men with a shrewd creature prowling their sideline.
But when you come up against forwards like Kerry's and hunger and history you can falter and they almost did on Sunday and they may well do so again in two weeks.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5195 - 04/09/2019 19:21:13    2232850

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Alright lads - at this stage this argument is going around like a goldfish in his bowl.
Everyone knows the outstanding contribution that's been made to our great GAA tradition by famous nursery schools and legendary players and people who devoted a career to teaching and as a former pupil of Jacko in the Green I have first hand experience.
But our great history is not the preserve of the schoolyards alone as the likes of Dr Eamon, Dwyer, and now PK have shown.

If ye were Gavin and the Dublin brain trust what would ye be planning for the final.
And what can or should Kerry do differently?"
Kerry do exactly as they did for 68 mins one change Sherwood in for Gavin White who adds to your speedster option as Dublin legs get tired around 50th minute Maybe start Tommy Walsh and do a Canavan off and on again but basically more of same They will have belief Dublin will have doubt I think Kerry are in a very happy position But Dublin are still formidable it won't be over until the fat lady sings. Molly Malone

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 04/09/2019 19:36:29    2232853

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Alright lads - at this stage this argument is going around like a goldfish in his bowl.

And what can or should Kerry do differently?"
Galvin will revert to type. Firstly he will reintroduce his sweeper as in Cian O'Sullivan, second and he has done this on numerous occasions, he will reinstate Howard to midfield with DMC dropping to the bench.

The plus for Dublin is this will firstly introduce serious pace to the middle sector a commodity both Barry and Moran do not possess. He will drop Cian deep as usual to mark space and where they had to resort to fouling they will now try bottle and hurt us physically in 2 or 3 vs 1 tackles.

This can work in our favour by pulling or corner men wide wide as in hugging the sideline, this full stretch is impossible to cover unless they deploy more than two sweepers, secondly I would put Seanie and DC inside and bring Geaney deeper. People are bemoaning his misses but Jesus watch the game again, his ball winning and passing is sublime. Secondly inside both DC and Sean are big men, Dublin even with Cian Sullivan will not cope here. I would also put Stephen directly on Cian and run at him. He hasn't man marked in four years and carrying a leg and aging. If we manage to break the tackle and with our Conner men and markers wide scores should come unapproved.

I think they will try expose Foley more and feel they might try bring Con Callaghan deeper. There plan here is to both get him on the ball more and actually to tempt Tom Sullivan into attacking therefore leaving a gaping hole for the counter, it's a gamble I can see them chancing.

You'll see a different different bench too, Brogan will be added for experience and I think Connolly May start.

That too regarding Connolly would be a bonus for us. He is not a team player and doesn't play to their system and game plan. He is rogue and disruptive. Don't get me wrong extremely dangerous and can hurt us but not playing to script which may unsettle.

So for what it's worth that's what I think Galvin will do and how we should counter act.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4342 - 04/09/2019 20:38:43    2232868

Link

Replying To GreenAndGold74:  "Question. Have the media brainwashed everybody into believing that Dublin were/are unbeatable?. There is no disputing they are a formidable team."
I never considered them unbeatable but I didn't think Kerry would be able for them physically and in terms of big game experience this year. While they are clearly vulnerable I think the replay is probably 60/40 in their favour still.

I'm not sure the current 2019 Dublin is as good as they were from 2013-16/17 when they peaked imo and were one of the best sides ever, if not the best. If they win the replay next Saturday I think that's where the run ends. I can't see them doing it again next year.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1685 - 04/09/2019 21:12:27    2232876

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "I never considered them unbeatable but I didn't think Kerry would be able for them physically and in terms of big game experience this year. While they are clearly vulnerable I think the replay is probably 60/40 in their favour still.

I'm not sure the current 2019 Dublin is as good as they were from 2013-16/17 when they peaked imo and were one of the best sides ever, if not the best. If they win the replay next Saturday I think that's where the run ends. I can't see them doing it again next year."
Let's hope they don't, says you. From our mouths to God's ears.

plike (Kerry) - Posts: 541 - 04/09/2019 21:31:03    2232880

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Galvin will revert to type. Firstly he will reintroduce his sweeper as in Cian O'Sullivan, second and he has done this on numerous occasions, he will reinstate Howard to midfield with DMC dropping to the bench.

The plus for Dublin is this will firstly introduce serious pace to the middle sector a commodity both Barry and Moran do not possess. He will drop Cian deep as usual to mark space and where they had to resort to fouling they will now try bottle and hurt us physically in 2 or 3 vs 1 tackles.

This can work in our favour by pulling or corner men wide wide as in hugging the sideline, this full stretch is impossible to cover unless they deploy more than two sweepers, secondly I would put Seanie and DC inside and bring Geaney deeper. People are bemoaning his misses but Jesus watch the game again, his ball winning and passing is sublime. Secondly inside both DC and Sean are big men, Dublin even with Cian Sullivan will not cope here. I would also put Stephen directly on Cian and run at him. He hasn't man marked in four years and carrying a leg and aging. If we manage to break the tackle and with our Conner men and markers wide scores should come unapproved.

I think they will try expose Foley more and feel they might try bring Con Callaghan deeper. There plan here is to both get him on the ball more and actually to tempt Tom Sullivan into attacking therefore leaving a gaping hole for the counter, it's a gamble I can see them chancing.

You'll see a different different bench too, Brogan will be added for experience and I think Connolly May start.

That too regarding Connolly would be a bonus for us. He is not a team player and doesn't play to their system and game plan. He is rogue and disruptive. Don't get me wrong extremely dangerous and can hurt us but not playing to script which may unsettle.

So for what it's worth that's what I think Galvin will do and how we should counter act."
But if Cian is not available through injury as maybe is the case who will play as their sweeper then?
They are running out of options in their backline.
Midfield is again crucial, we need to try and break something close to even to get the ball into our forwards - do that and they should make hay.
Something I forgot to mention earlier is that I think Ryan's kickouts need more work.
We should not have lost so many of our own when we had a free man for all the second half.
Conversely, echoing Darragh in today's Times, you just have to stand back in awe of Cluxton. Still managed to find players to catch clean ball even down to 14 and some excellent saves too, even if he was way of his line for the peno.
Probably never see his like again once he finishes up.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5195 - 04/09/2019 22:32:43    2232898

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Galvin will revert to type. Firstly he will reintroduce his sweeper as in Cian O'Sullivan, second and he has done this on numerous occasions, he will reinstate Howard to midfield with DMC dropping to the bench.

So for what it's worth that's what I think Galvin will do and how we should counter act."
Who's Galvin ? -:)

superbluedub (Dublin) - Posts: 1931 - 05/09/2019 00:34:40    2232912

Link

Replying To 37sowhat:  "Kerry do exactly as they did for 68 mins one change Sherwood in for Gavin White who adds to your speedster option as Dublin legs get tired around 50th minute Maybe start Tommy Walsh and do a Canavan off and on again but basically more of same They will have belief Dublin will have doubt I think Kerry are in a very happy position But Dublin are still formidable it won't be over until the fat lady sings. Molly Malone"
Are we being a little hard on Gavin White? Looking back 1-1 of Mcaffreys scores came directly after kick outs where Kerry were operating a full zonal press, meaning White couldn't stay with him. It was very risky to keep doing this once Dublin got their tails up when you think about it. I think for his final point White had been subbed.

There must be a reason Sherwood is not starting games. Are they worried that he doesn't have the engine for 70-80 minutes?
If he can do what we have seen in his cameo roles for a full game it makes no sense at all to leave him on the sideline. If he is to start I'd put him on Howard rather than McCaffery though.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1685 - 05/09/2019 01:25:31    2232914

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "But if Cian is not available through injury as maybe is the case who will play as their sweeper then?
They are running out of options in their backline.
Midfield is again crucial, we need to try and break something close to even to get the ball into our forwards - do that and they should make hay.
Something I forgot to mention earlier is that I think Ryan's kickouts need more work.
We should not have lost so many of our own when we had a free man for all the second half.
Conversely, echoing Darragh in today's Times, you just have to stand back in awe of Cluxton. Still managed to find players to catch clean ball even down to 14 and some excellent saves too, even if he was way of his line for the peno.
Probably never see his like again once he finishes up."
Anyone any opinion on the kerry, maor uisce/sub/official who squirted water at the dublin player at the sideline

pjmccabe01 (Kilkenny) - Posts: 2 - 05/09/2019 08:31:03    2232922

Link

Now that the dust has settled here are my observations.
First off what a display by Kerry and what a game.
Coming out of Croke Park I felt Kerry had blown it but having looked back I feel we were lucky in the end not to lose! Dublin had a couple of chances in those last few minutes to win it.
The last thing Dublin wanted was a replay and I would say our lads can't wait to go again.
Our backs are a better unit than Dubs and on another day when it was 15 v 15 we kicked some uncharacteristic wides and you could argue that we left 3 goal chances behind.
I fancy our chances the next day if we show the same commitment and play for each other.
Well done to all last Sunday and also to our supporters who gave them every encouragement.

traleeexile (Kerry) - Posts: 732 - 05/09/2019 09:45:17    2232940

Link

I'm convinced Cian will start, could be a straight swop with James McCarthy going to midfield too with DMcC losing out. A few things are certain, allowing the opposition 3 clear goal chances will be addressed, being beaten at mid field will be addressed and their failings or lack of options off the bench. His team will be seriously bolstered by experience but for us thst does include older legs we may be able to expose.

Another thing too is the usual tackling/fouling by their backs was picked up on. This avenue is also now closed t o Cooper, Byrnes, Fitzsimons and will def rule out Philly.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4342 - 05/09/2019 10:10:04    2232951

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "Are we being a little hard on Gavin White? Looking back 1-1 of Mcaffreys scores came directly after kick outs where Kerry were operating a full zonal press, meaning White couldn't stay with him. It was very risky to keep doing this once Dublin got their tails up when you think about it. I think for his final point White had been subbed.

There must be a reason Sherwood is not starting games. Are they worried that he doesn't have the engine for 70-80 minutes?
If he can do what we have seen in his cameo roles for a full game it makes no sense at all to leave him on the sideline. If he is to start I'd put him on Howard rather than McCaffery though."
Start him let him give his all, a la Donnacha Walsh ,and then bring in Gavin White to take up where he let off . someone HAS to be on McCaffrey' s shoulder for the duration of game no let up . Nullify him as he is playing at minute and you are half way to nullifying Dublin . Only flaw in Jack Sherwood re full game he suffer real or imaginary hamstring problems Kerry have the bit between their teeth now it can be done ✅

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 05/09/2019 10:54:33    2232966

Link

Replying To pjmccabe01:  "Anyone any opinion on the kerry, maor uisce/sub/official who squirted water at the dublin player at the sideline"
A bit of a daft thing to do, but also what harm did it or could it possibly do??

A childish act but if people are grasping at that and trying to portray it as some cynical, dirty trick by Kerry - esp considering everything that Kerry players have been dealing with from opponents all year - than its just another example of the obsession so many people around this website seem to have with painting us in the worst possible light and ignoring what their own teams regulalrly indulge in.

Give me someone spattering my ar$e with water any day over being choke-holed or wrestled to the ground off the ball!!!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5195 - 05/09/2019 12:11:43    2232990

Link

Replying To pjmccabe01:  "Anyone any opinion on the kerry, maor uisce/sub/official who squirted water at the dublin player at the sideline"
That specific incident you refer to was an attempt to disrupt the Dublin player on the field of play as he had the ball. A very bad attempt at cheating and also very unsporting. What ever about stuff happening on the field in 15 v 15 (or in this instance 14) that on field "off the ball stuff" happens at every game be it intercounty or club but when the sidelines get involved it is disgraceful. Kerry will not have any luck resulting from it. And what harm twas their final to lose against 14 subs for 40mins

luimneachboy (Limerick) - Posts: 239 - 05/09/2019 13:36:26    2233025

Link

Replying To luimneachboy:  "That specific incident you refer to was an attempt to disrupt the Dublin player on the field of play as he had the ball. A very bad attempt at cheating and also very unsporting. What ever about stuff happening on the field in 15 v 15 (or in this instance 14) that on field "off the ball stuff" happens at every game be it intercounty or club but when the sidelines get involved it is disgraceful. Kerry will not have any luck resulting from it. And what harm twas their final to lose against 14 subs for 40mins"
You are being negative and I genuinely believe Kerry will take more POSITIVES out of drawn game.
No doubt you will be full square behind your neighbours the next day.

traleeexile (Kerry) - Posts: 732 - 05/09/2019 14:48:18    2233054

Link

Replying To traleeexile:  "You are being negative and I genuinely believe Kerry will take more POSITIVES out of drawn game.
No doubt you will be full square behind your neighbours the next day."
Just to clarify I would have liked to see kerry stop Dublin as it isn't any good in football or hurling for one team to dominate.... But I was replying to the question posed about "Watergate". If it was the other way around ye would be tearing the place down giving out about a sideline mentor from opposing team doing same. In relation to replay for what it is worth but some here will just think I'm having a go., I think kerry missed their chance. While kerry possibly can improve slightly, there's massive potential for Dublin improvement. I was more hopeful before final that kerry could catch the dubs but going on what I saw I can see Dublin winning replay by 4+ pts. 14 men v 15men for 40mins????and Dublin still cud have sneaked it and everyone must agree Dublin were very poor be that not allowed to play or just caught on the hop and over cocky. Ask this question, if kerry had managed to pull a draw all those years ago in the drive for 5 v offaly, who would have won replay?? You can be sure and certain kerry would have

luimneachboy (Limerick) - Posts: 239 - 05/09/2019 15:08:05    2233062

Link

Our Limerick boy is back I see :)
Must check out the Limerick Forum myself.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5195 - 05/09/2019 15:49:30    2233074

Link

for replay going with

1.Ryan
2.Foley
3.Morley
4.Sullivan
5.Murphy
6.Crowley
7.White
8.Moran
9.Barry
10.Moynihan
11.Shea
12.O'Brien
13.Clifford
14.(P)Geaney
15.K.Spillane

Tom Welsh, O'Beaglach, Enright, Donoghue(if fit), Sherwood and Lyne coming off the bench.

kerryforsam19 (Kerry) - Posts: 95 - 05/09/2019 15:57:27    2233077

Link

Pete Crowley was only squirting a bit of uisce, no harm :)

kerryforsam19 (Kerry) - Posts: 95 - 05/09/2019 16:06:17    2233082

Link