Kerry Forum

Kerry V Dublin

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To traleegerry:  "I never lost the faith as they say. I am so proud to night and I feel vindicated the rubbish that was spouted on this by so called masters and expert analysis that they came out with. We are kerry a rare and proud breed and we will finish the job the next day"
Well said TraleeGerry

traleeexile (Kerry) - Posts: 732 - 02/09/2019 23:01:36    2232147

Link

Lads I may be this should be under a different thread. Let encourage every body young and old and in between to get to Dublin and support these guys who have done so proud. All modes of transport need to be utilised. First of all if you drive nominate a driver and a driver down and fill every seat in your car I left out the word up.. Let us all get on to kerry radio and kerry county board to put pressure on irish rail to put on special trains out of Dublin after the game. Let put pressure on irish bus to put on special buses and let pressure the independent bus companies to put on more buses the buses and the drivers could be hired in from other counties. Finally our magnificent kerry supporters club try to put on more buses I will be asking them this my self. I know hotels in Dublin are a very big price and not every body can afford so if you have family or friends in Dublin share a room share a bed share your home for the sake of our great county as Paul galvin said some years ago our heritage our pride in our great home county and the game we love so much is at stake here. We will beat Dublin in the replay and Sam will rest easy in kerry for the winter with some of our great men who gone to there eternal rest. Paudie.. Tim.. John and many more. We have trusted our youth again as we have done in the past. Up the kingdom.. Ciarrai abu

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 499 - 03/09/2019 09:41:09    2232231

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "Lads I may be this should be under a different thread. Let encourage every body young and old and in between to get to Dublin and support these guys who have done so proud. All modes of transport need to be utilised. First of all if you drive nominate a driver and a driver down and fill every seat in your car I left out the word up.. Let us all get on to kerry radio and kerry county board to put pressure on irish rail to put on special trains out of Dublin after the game. Let put pressure on irish bus to put on special buses and let pressure the independent bus companies to put on more buses the buses and the drivers could be hired in from other counties. Finally our magnificent kerry supporters club try to put on more buses I will be asking them this my self. I know hotels in Dublin are a very big price and not every body can afford so if you have family or friends in Dublin share a room share a bed share your home for the sake of our great county as Paul galvin said some years ago our heritage our pride in our great home county and the game we love so much is at stake here. We will beat Dublin in the replay and Sam will rest easy in kerry for the winter with some of our great men who gone to there eternal rest. Paudie.. Tim.. John and many more. We have trusted our youth again as we have done in the past. Up the kingdom.. Ciarrai abu"
You would just as well contact your local politician and lobby them to get on to government ministers for the extra trains.
Healy Rae would be your man... i met him on Sunday in the lower hogan..

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 63 - 03/09/2019 11:10:52    2232284

Link

Only after seeing the positioning of Tommy Walsh and David Moran for the last free. Tommy had a hold of Moran's shorts and was going to hoist him up over the crossbar if the free was going to drop. it would have been amazing if it panned out.. i would love to know who thought of that and was it pre-planned?

Also a video surfaced of Peter Crowley allegedly squirting water towards a Dublin player during the match.... silly silly stuff. We should be better than that. A lot of silly stuff is creeping into the game which a lot of people defend by saying that every little thing counts etc. It's silly and what does it achieve, if a Dublin Maor Uisce did it there would be war on this forum.

Lastly, this Captaincy Issue may cause hassle for the replay if indeed Gavin White gets the curly finger, who do Crokes nominate? Normally the nearest club gets the shout, i dont think they should give it to Clifford then next nearest is Paul Murphy / Shane Ryan. Common sense would dictate giving it to David Moran or if you knew that it would G up Paul Geaney, give it to Paul. But i think if Gavin doesnt start, David Moran should be given the honour and if and when we win it let White go up and collect it with Moran. What do ye boys think?

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 63 - 03/09/2019 11:19:37    2232291

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "Only after seeing the positioning of Tommy Walsh and David Moran for the last free. Tommy had a hold of Moran's shorts and was going to hoist him up over the crossbar if the free was going to drop. it would have been amazing if it panned out.. i would love to know who thought of that and was it pre-planned?

Also a video surfaced of Peter Crowley allegedly squirting water towards a Dublin player during the match.... silly silly stuff. We should be better than that. A lot of silly stuff is creeping into the game which a lot of people defend by saying that every little thing counts etc. It's silly and what does it achieve, if a Dublin Maor Uisce did it there would be war on this forum.

Lastly, this Captaincy Issue may cause hassle for the replay if indeed Gavin White gets the curly finger, who do Crokes nominate? Normally the nearest club gets the shout, i dont think they should give it to Clifford then next nearest is Paul Murphy / Shane Ryan. Common sense would dictate giving it to David Moran or if you knew that it would G up Paul Geaney, give it to Paul. But i think if Gavin doesnt start, David Moran should be given the honour and if and when we win it let White go up and collect it with Moran. What do ye boys think?"
Technically, Kerry can be better. The accuracy early on was shocking.

Strategically, Kerry need to be adaptable. Allowing McCaffrey to go on a Waltzing Matilda run was awful.

Mentally, Kerry must take their chances, think on their feet AND finish stronger.

Slowing the game down near the end if leading is advisable. Getting the old heads to show leadership is a given. Making meaningful switches and substitutions then is key to avoiding the slow of foot and ponderous of thought jitters that have often cost teams playing Dublin... at the death.

plike (Kerry) - Posts: 541 - 03/09/2019 12:35:17    2232345

Link

Well everyone just about still alive but seriously thought the heart would stop beating there at the end of that game!
Haven't seen it back and it was so chaotic and there was so much going on I'm not sure I can make sense of it at all even at this remove!
Hope everyone got home ok anyway.
Just some thoughts:
McCaffery kept Dublin in it with a great display but he needs to be shackled now next day.
Could not for the life of me figure out how we were behind at half time, we need to take every opportunity we get in two weeks.
How in God's name was there 7 MINUTES of extra time!
After Killian's wonderful goal we should have drove on and over-whelmed them. Once we were a point up at the end why oh why didn't we look to get another score and another instead of becoming cautious, trying to keep ball and run down the clock. That simply won't work against Dublin, you have to play the game from the front foot.
Did we leave it behind us - yes. But will this give these young guys huge confidence, belief and prove to them they have the beating of Dublin - I believe the answer is yes as well!
I think we've huge potential to improve and Dublin no know we can beat them and maybe, just maybe, the pressure of the 5 starts to become unbearable!
How am I going to sort tickets again?
But finally can I just say the Kerry support on Sunday was outstanding, They kept cheering this wonderful group on, completely drowned out the Dubs and all you could hear most of the time was shouts of 'Kerry' 'Kerry'. We need the same again and more now in two weeks.

Let's go back up there and finish this job!
All the fools that didn't give us a chance, spoofers that haven't a clue about anything and least of all the history, tradition and self-belief of Kerry men when they get to run out on their natural stage!
An Riocht Abu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5136 - 03/09/2019 12:55:34    2232358

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Well everyone just about still alive but seriously thought the heart would stop beating there at the end of that game!
Haven't seen it back and it was so chaotic and there was so much going on I'm not sure I can make sense of it at all even at this remove!
Hope everyone got home ok anyway.
Just some thoughts:
McCaffery kept Dublin in it with a great display but he needs to be shackled now next day.
Could not for the life of me figure out how we were behind at half time, we need to take every opportunity we get in two weeks.
How in God's name was there 7 MINUTES of extra time!
After Killian's wonderful goal we should have drove on and over-whelmed them. Once we were a point up at the end why oh why didn't we look to get another score and another instead of becoming cautious, trying to keep ball and run down the clock. That simply won't work against Dublin, you have to play the game from the front foot.
Did we leave it behind us - yes. But will this give these young guys huge confidence, belief and prove to them they have the beating of Dublin - I believe the answer is yes as well!
I think we've huge potential to improve and Dublin no know we can beat them and maybe, just maybe, the pressure of the 5 starts to become unbearable!
How am I going to sort tickets again?
But finally can I just say the Kerry support on Sunday was outstanding, They kept cheering this wonderful group on, completely drowned out the Dubs and all you could hear most of the time was shouts of 'Kerry' 'Kerry'. We need the same again and more now in two weeks.

Let's go back up there and finish this job!
All the fools that didn't give us a chance, spoofers that haven't a clue about anything and least of all the history, tradition and self-belief of Kerry men when they get to run out on their natural stage!
An Riocht Abu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Well said The Hermit. It was sheer drama at it's best. Roll on Saturday week.

GreenAndGold74 (Kerry) - Posts: 94 - 03/09/2019 13:13:03    2232371

Link

You know it just never crossed my mind it would end in a draw and we'd be back again scrambling for tickets and places to stay and everything else. After having 4 of them in the end on Sunday morning, I'll be lucky to find 1 probably now!!!
Two days later and I'm still emotionally drained from it and walking around a bit like a zombie, my heart-felt sympathy to anyone that had to get up and go to work yesterday after it all!
I'll try and watch it back tonight I think.
There's been so much written already about the game and the hundreds of posts even in the main forum you'd feel swamped trying to make sense of what happened.
If anyone wants to give they're post-match analysis on the game in 500 words or less you might help the rest of us make sense of it all ;D

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5136 - 03/09/2019 16:28:38    2232465

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "Only after seeing the positioning of Tommy Walsh and David Moran for the last free. Tommy had a hold of Moran's shorts and was going to hoist him up over the crossbar if the free was going to drop. it would have been amazing if it panned out.. i would love to know who thought of that and was it pre-planned?

Lastly, this Captaincy Issue may cause hassle for the replay if indeed Gavin White gets the curly finger, who do Crokes nominate? Normally the nearest club gets the shout, i dont think they should give it to Clifford then next nearest is Paul Murphy / Shane Ryan. Common sense would dictate giving it to David Moran or if you knew that it would G up Paul Geaney, give it to Paul. But i think if Gavin doesnt start, David Moran should be given the honour and if and when we win it let White go up and collect it with Moran. What do ye boys think?"
"Only after seeing the positioning of Tommy Walsh and David Moran for the last free. Tommy had a hold of Moran's shorts and was going to hoist him up over the crossbar if the free was going to drop. it would have been amazing if it panned out.. i would love to know who thought of that and was it pre-planned?"

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry)

Contrary to the rules. It would have been a free out.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 497 - 03/09/2019 17:23:53    2232478

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "You know it just never crossed my mind it would end in a draw and we'd be back again scrambling for tickets and places to stay and everything else. After having 4 of them in the end on Sunday morning, I'll be lucky to find 1 probably now!!!
Two days later and I'm still emotionally drained from it and walking around a bit like a zombie, my heart-felt sympathy to anyone that had to get up and go to work yesterday after it all!
I'll try and watch it back tonight I think.
There's been so much written already about the game and the hundreds of posts even in the main forum you'd feel swamped trying to make sense of what happened.
If anyone wants to give they're post-match analysis on the game in 500 words or less you might help the rest of us make sense of it all ;D"
There should be more tickets available this time around the hermit considering there is no minor game.

I remember for the replay in 00 we had no bother getting tickets, then again it was too country teams and the dubs will probably hover them up big time.

Someone on the main forum said jim Gavin looked awful rattled in his interview after the game, supposedly stuttering and very red in the face, he probably wasn't expecting us to make a game of it.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9994 - 03/09/2019 17:43:29    2232486

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "There should be more tickets available this time around the hermit considering there is no minor game.

I remember for the replay in 00 we had no bother getting tickets, then again it was too country teams and the dubs will probably hover them up big time.

Someone on the main forum said jim Gavin looked awful rattled in his interview after the game, supposedly stuttering and very red in the face, he probably wasn't expecting us to make a game of it."
10,000 extra minor tickets available, second of all the high volume of tickets that go over seas to USA and the Uk will also be available they say that's another 5,000. Typed out my thoughts on the game but lost it so will sit down to rant and rave later on if I can stomach it. I did watch the full game again last night though - still emotional

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4257 - 03/09/2019 18:29:10    2232507

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "It was mighty stuff. I think Peter Keane would love to have that second half back, we didn't make the extra man work for us at all until we abandoned the sweeper and went for it. If we had done that earlier I'm sure we'd have tacked on enough scores and won. Immaterial now of course.

I have no clue what will happen in the replay, none. Kerry have been improving at a remarkable rate all year and last Sunday will have given them belief that they can stand toe to toe with Dublin. At the same time Dublin would surely have won but for Coopers foolishness we won't get a gift like that again. Dublin will rightly be confident next time."
Just like you I've no idea what's going to happen. I think we should just let this game develop its own story, its gonna be a million miles an hour whatever the result!

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 03/09/2019 19:13:42    2232521

Link

Real dub you have got humble but I say as well a few of of our own namely sligo 37 have disappeared off this page 37 with all his words of wisdom coming from his education back ground. Again it was the ordinary guy who was the true man of kerry football. Ciarrai abu

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 499 - 03/09/2019 20:02:24    2232538

Link

From the outset I have to commend the support and belief last weekend, I had a gut feeling and couldn't understand the bookies and pundits, the more fans I encountered over the weekend the more confident I became and boy did the panel of players repay in spades.

Our defensive shape, the revolving and protecting arc around the 'D' the movement and cover and the closing of the door through the middle at pace and in unison was impressive. From my view on the 45 I could see directly the high and aggressive live we were deploying for Cluxton's kickouts, ok twice we were caught and conceded 1-01 but by in large it was a success and laid down an unexpected marker.

Keane and his backroom team got all the match ups and play spot on bar one. Defensively Morley, Tom Sull and Crowley got the better of their men. Foley struggled initially but Sunday will stand to him.

Of course the foundations were laid from centre field. I was reading the player ratings and Michael Darragh got 5/10 and Fenton the man the Dublin Media rated better than Jacko (don't make me laugh) got 5.5/10 so we kept their foundation to 10.5 out of 20. Big call in starting Barry and again it was justified.

Our forwards scored 1-16 but missed another 3-04. Ok break this down they say the Dublin marquee forwards failed to function. Clifford 0-02, Geaney 0, Stephen 0-01 but this will stand to them. The zero reflection is misleading on Geaney as he was involved on a pile of ball as was O'Brien. I too thought Adrian had a good first half, one big hit on Cooper and I counted three turnovers and several carry's. As ye are aware at this stage I highly rate the Templenoe man and this he offers us something needed in the middle.

We need to work on a few things kick outs, tracking and the trump card for us engaging the man. We had several chances to take on the Dublin backs on a one to one, we need to back ourselves and engage, go for it.

What I took most from this was the negativity from Galvin, Cooper was destroyed and rightly so walked. Galvin didn't trust his bench neither Philly or Cian but instead moved Howard back. He didn't have belief in his defenders on the bench, secondly when he wanted changes for the forwards he looked to Connolly a man that is only just back and not up to speed. I watched him closely his first two runs were towards the ball carrier instead of the loop around as a result he bottled up his own man and resulted in Dublin having to recycle or back track. He isn't match sharp as in intercounty match sharp.

A hell of a lot of positives from our side, I don't think we have missed the boat, quite the opposite. I think this will bring on our crew a pile and give them the belief they can match the 'great' team and prevail.

A bit more composure, a killer instinct to go for the jugular but by in large a great display and spectacle.

Our bench Killian, Tommy and again Sherwood were game changers - again no panic. 55 minutes in and we are 5 down, score the next 1-03 and go a point up. This is were we should have gone for it but didn't. You can't defend a Gaa lead and def not for ten minutes.

I would make one selling switch for the replay, I think our captain was exposed by Dublin he needs to have his back to goals not the other way round, I think too Dublin had no answer to Clifford, Stephen with both backs getting noted by the ref. I said last week we would benefit from 50/50 calls we did but again Dublin can't complain if the ref catches you fouling.

The scramble starts again but lads what an occasion, one of the best games I've ever attended and some atmosphere.

Bring on Sat week - would ye make many changes to the starting XV?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4257 - 03/09/2019 20:58:30    2232548

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "Real dub you have got humble but I say as well a few of of our own namely sligo 37 have disappeared off this page 37 with all his words of wisdom coming from his education back ground. Again it was the ordinary guy who was the true man of kerry football. Ciarrai abu"
Thought I was always humble :D

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 03/09/2019 20:59:56    2232550

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "Real dub you have got humble but I say as well a few of of our own namely sligo 37 have disappeared off this page 37 with all his words of wisdom coming from his education back ground. Again it was the ordinary guy who was the true man of kerry football. Ciarrai abu"
Lads I have to commend every single Dublin supporter I encountered Sunday. Genuine banter and discussions and debates, it was a pleasure to chat and mingle with ye. Really added to the occasion.

I would slightly restructure for the replay, I feel Gavin White didn't give a true account of his capabilities and as a result we conceded 1-03 to a wing back from play. We have options, put Stephen on him, swop Beagleach and Gavin White, bring in a speedster from the off someone like Dara Moynihan to go toe to toe but then again can he defend,

All three subs Tommy, Killian and again Sherwood all made telling contributions is there a option of starting Sherwood in a reshuffle. We have options the key again is getting the balance of starting and finishing XV right, have to give a word of praise too to Seanie, some accuracy.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4257 - 03/09/2019 21:06:45    2232552

Link

Yeh O'Shea is a serious free taker for a kid. Rock should have kicked from the hand, steal a couple of metres in the process to narrow the angle. But I suppose it was kind of a free shot, fair result.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 03/09/2019 21:20:23    2232555

Link

From the outset I have to commend the support and belief last weekend, I had a gut feeling and couldn't understand the bookies and pundits, the more fans I encountered over the weekend the more confident I became and boy did the panel of players repay in spades.

Our defensive shape, the revolving and protecting arc around the 'D' the movement and cover and the closing of the door through the middle at pace and in unison was impressive. From my view on the 45 I could see directly the high and aggressive live we were deploying for Cluxton's kickouts, ok twice we were caught and conceded 1-01 but by in large it was a success and laid down an unexpected marker.

Keane and his backroom team got all the match ups and play spot on bar one. Defensively Morley, Tom Sull and Crowley got the better of their men. Foley struggled initially but Sunday will stand to him.

Of course the foundations were laid from centre field. I was reading the player ratings and Michael Darragh got 5/10 and Fenton the man the Dublin Media rated better than Jacko (don't make me laugh) got 5.5/10 so we kept their foundation to 10.5 out of 20. Big call in starting Barry and again it was justified.

Our forwards scored 1-16 but missed another 3-04. Ok break this down they say the Dublin marquee forwards failed to function. Clifford 0-02, Geaney 0, Stephen 0-01 but this will stand to them. The zero reflection is misleading on Geaney as he was involved on a pile of ball as was O'Brien. I too thought Adrian had a good first half, one big hit on Cooper and I counted three turnovers and several carry's. As ye are aware at this stage I highly rate the Templenoe man and this he offers us something needed in the middle.

We need to work on a few things kick outs, tracking and the trump card for us engaging the man. We had several chances to take on the Dublin backs on a one to one, we need to back ourselves and engage, go for it.

What I took most from this was the negativity from Galvin, Cooper was destroyed and rightly so walked. Galvin didn't trust his bench neither Philly or Cian but instead moved Howard back. He didn't have belief in his defenders on the bench, secondly when he wanted changes for the forwards he looked to Connolly a man that is only just back and not up to speed. I watched him closely his first two runs were towards the ball carrier instead of the loop around as a result he bottled up his own man and resulted in Dublin having to recycle or back track. He isn't match sharp as in intercounty match sharp.

A hell of a lot of positives from our side, I don't think we have missed the boat, quite the opposite. I think this will bring on our crew a pile and give them the belief they can match the 'great' team and prevail.

A bit more composure, a killer instinct to go for the jugular but by in large a great display and spectacle.

Our bench Killian, Tommy and again Sherwood were game changers - again no panic. 55 minutes in and we are 5 down, score the next 1-03 and go a point up. This is were we should have gone for it but didn't. You can't defend a Gaa lead and def not for ten minutes.

I would make one selling switch for the replay, I think our captain was exposed by Dublin he needs to have his back to goals not the other way round, I think too Dublin had no answer to Clifford, Stephen with both backs getting noted by the ref. I said last week we would benefit from 50/50 calls we did but again Dublin can't complain if the ref catches you fouling.

The scramble starts again but lads what an occasion, one of the best games I've ever attended and some atmosphere.

Bring on Sat week - would ye make many changes to the starting XV?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4257 - 03/09/2019 21:24:18    2232556

Link

Lads have ye seen the 'dublinlive' link about the Kerry vs Dublin fans on the Luas...

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4257 - 03/09/2019 21:39:57    2232562

Link

I would drop White, Start Tommy Walsh inside with Geaney and Clifford and put Stephen o brien on McCafferry. Spring Killian again at the 40-45 min mark. If you drop White you open up the problem about crokes nominating a new captain...

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 63 - 03/09/2019 21:41:56    2232563

Link