Kerry Forum

Kerry V Dublin

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Ya killians one was pure craic and very well delivered, he'll surely be on up for the match tonight.

How're the nerves now the hermit? What's the story up in the big smoke?"
I'm looking into the past for inspiration as you can see, reading songs and stories of battles old and what they can show about the battle to come!

The butterflies are swarming the stomach - is it trepidation or thrill I can't diagnose it yet!

I see one of the usual gombeens has put up another thesis on the main page, in truth I've been stuck up here since Monday and I've seen no evidence of any build-up at all from the Dubs.
I'm heading into town now this evening to meet my county friends and a few foes and maybe we'll see some signs about then that an All-Ireland is actually being played tomorrow!!

When are you coming up Kingdomboy, is it a straight shot up and down or are you staying around for a night?
I wish I had your confidence, but I remember in 2009 after days of fretting I woke up the morning of that game and knew we'd win. I'm hoping that feeling comes again tomorrow!

But remember, we've never lost a final in a year ending 9, we've haven't lost 2 All-Ireland's consecutively since 1968 AND Dublin have always lost the final when a Limerick girl has sat as Rose of Tralee!!
Perhaps the stars are allinging :)

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5138 - 31/08/2019 12:59:37    2230969

Link

On the road- the butterflies have well started, I see on the m ain forum old posters are resurfacing which is encouraging.

I'm very confident just stopped at the bookies and put €50 at 8/1 for us to lead at HT and win the game.

Here's having ya, come on ta feck

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4261 - 31/08/2019 13:13:13    2230973

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Ya killians one was pure craic and very well delivered, he'll surely be on up for the match tonight.

How're the nerves now the hermit? What's the story up in the big smoke?"
Odd atmosphere in the build-up to this. No pundit is giving it to Kerry. Dublin fans do seem a bit edgy mind. What I like, if I'm honest, is the talk from Fitz in the Examiner. Park the emotion. Engage the brain. Give it your best shot on the day.

I very much doubt they will fail to put up a fight. I doubt even more that they will be out thought. A bit of luck wouldn't hurt. And then... who knows? The longer it goes on and the closer we are, the more likely that history will come to haunt them. They are not accustomed to being made to play on anyone's terms but their own. They are a great team. Probably even the best ever. Forgive me if I expect our men in green and gold to make them work Sam hard to prove It!

plike (Kerry) - Posts: 541 - 31/08/2019 13:22:45    2230974

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "I'm looking into the past for inspiration as you can see, reading songs and stories of battles old and what they can show about the battle to come!

The butterflies are swarming the stomach - is it trepidation or thrill I can't diagnose it yet!

I see one of the usual gombeens has put up another thesis on the main page, in truth I've been stuck up here since Monday and I've seen no evidence of any build-up at all from the Dubs.
I'm heading into town now this evening to meet my county friends and a few foes and maybe we'll see some signs about then that an All-Ireland is actually being played tomorrow!!

When are you coming up Kingdomboy, is it a straight shot up and down or are you staying around for a night?
I wish I had your confidence, but I remember in 2009 after days of fretting I woke up the morning of that game and knew we'd win. I'm hoping that feeling comes again tomorrow!

But remember, we've never lost a final in a year ending 9, we've haven't lost 2 All-Ireland's consecutively since 1968 AND Dublin have always lost the final when a Limerick girl has sat as Rose of Tralee!!
Perhaps the stars are allinging :)"
You're looking to the past and I'm planning on watching the kingdoms green and gold documentary later on :-)

I'm heading off at 7 in the morning bud, when I had friends and family in college in Dublin we'd always head up the Saturday and make a weekend of it but now it's day trips only with the family as it's too expensive, especially when we go to all the games , but it's no burden these days with the motorway from Adare, can't eai till JP by passes that place.

I'm still not a bit nervous in fact Iv just woken up from a nap on the chair and I feel great, I'm going to walk back the land now do a few jobs go visit the uncle and head to Mass , then sit down watch my documentary have a couple of beers and sleep easy knowing that PK and the lads will have the work done for tomorrow which they will.

There is nothing anyone can do now as the game is set and the pieces are on the move .

An Riocht Abu and keep the faith.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 10007 - 31/08/2019 15:13:16    2230997

Link

In Shakespeare's Henry 1V Falstaff who was not known for bravery declared on the morning of the battle "would it were evening and All well" a bit like that now . The die is cast . But as a veteran of many of Kerry's battles over the years let me say I ever only saw two kinds of Kerry footballer, good and better and every man woman and child whoever contributed to the cause should be thanked on a day such as this As I pen this the peerless John O Keefe is being honoured with a lifetime achievement award by GPA in Croke Park I would give great credit to Johnno ,Mickey Ned and Eamonn Fitz behind the scenes they did mammoth work putting in place the structures that contribute so much to where Kerry are today The advent of Cian O Neill and his pupil Mc Gahan was a master stroke the return of Donie Buckley from exile , the fresh approach of Peter Keane and backroom team has made a difference . So all who " sweated the gansey" take a bow . Something tells me Sam will winter under the shadow of the Reeks Beidh fáilte Uí Cheallaigh roimhe .

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 31/08/2019 15:51:12    2231004

Link

Replying To plike:  "Odd atmosphere in the build-up to this. No pundit is giving it to Kerry. Dublin fans do seem a bit edgy mind. What I like, if I'm honest, is the talk from Fitz in the Examiner. Park the emotion. Engage the brain. Give it your best shot on the day.

I very much doubt they will fail to put up a fight. I doubt even more that they will be out thought. A bit of luck wouldn't hurt. And then... who knows? The longer it goes on and the closer we are, the more likely that history will come to haunt them. They are not accustomed to being made to play on anyone's terms but their own. They are a great team. Probably even the best ever. Forgive me if I expect our men in green and gold to make them work Sam hard to prove It!"
It's not what you'd call an enjoyable build up plike it's a bit meh to be honest , kinda like we're just going through the motions as a county, a win tomorrow would revitalize both ourselves and the country as whole outside the pale as it would show people that this team can be bate.

If we don't bate then nobody will and that's not me being cocky but thats a fact and that will be detrimental to Gaelic football.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 10007 - 31/08/2019 15:54:07    2231006

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "You're looking to the past and I'm planning on watching the kingdoms green and gold documentary later on :-)

I'm heading off at 7 in the morning bud, when I had friends and family in college in Dublin we'd always head up the Saturday and make a weekend of it but now it's day trips only with the family as it's too expensive, especially when we go to all the games , but it's no burden these days with the motorway from Adare, can't eai till JP by passes that place.

I'm still not a bit nervous in fact Iv just woken up from a nap on the chair and I feel great, I'm going to walk back the land now do a few jobs go visit the uncle and head to Mass , then sit down watch my documentary have a couple of beers and sleep easy knowing that PK and the lads will have the work done for tomorrow which they will.

There is nothing anyone can do now as the game is set and the pieces are on the move .

An Riocht Abu and keep the faith."
Well I think it's about time now I stopped working myself - spruce up, amble into town to meet the Kerry boys up for the weekend and enjoy a bit of All-Ireland eve craic and banter!
Sure we'll make a good night out of it anyway tonight, whatever comes on the morrow!

As you said the team have their work and plans all done now - like my mother always said about baking, you get your ingredients, you put them together and then you stick it in the oven. The cake will either rise or it doesn't then - there's not a damn thing you can do about it at that stage so why worry!

Win or lose, I'll probably give this place a miss for the next couple of days. I've Monday and Tuesday booked off as regardless of the result I'd say I'll be in a bad way Monday morning and if the improbably happens I can follow the team down to the homecoming.

So lads and lassies I wish everyone a safe trip up. Wear the Green and Gold with immense pride, bring the noise and colour tomorrow and shout till your tonsils burst for these fine young men that keep alive our awesome tradition and forge another link in its golden chain.

As Liam MacGabhann wrote:

"Listen, asthore, for those old eyes are sealed
Tell me once more when the Kerrymen take the field
Tell an old man who is feeble, grey and old
Do they walk proudly still wearing the Green and Gold?"

Listen, asthore, when Kerry take the field,
Tell me when they attack and when they yield;
Say if they fail; asthore, I'm blind and old,
Tell me they'll not dishonour the green and gold'.

Please God in 25 hours time we are celebrating title number 38!

Always and forever An Riocht Abu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5138 - 31/08/2019 16:02:25    2231008

Link

Gavin White The Kerry captain steps onward to Croke Park
With steady step and head erect
These words he will impart
Now today we boys says he a story will be told
as we raise above the Dublin blue
our Kingdoms Green and Gold
Jim Gavin sits dejected
Like a drone within the hive
Some one has reminded him
The clock has just past FIVE

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 31/08/2019 17:04:02    2231019

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Well I think it's about time now I stopped working myself - spruce up, amble into town to meet the Kerry boys up for the weekend and enjoy a bit of All-Ireland eve craic and banter!
Sure we'll make a good night out of it anyway tonight, whatever comes on the morrow!

As you said the team have their work and plans all done now - like my mother always said about baking, you get your ingredients, you put them together and then you stick it in the oven. The cake will either rise or it doesn't then - there's not a damn thing you can do about it at that stage so why worry!

Win or lose, I'll probably give this place a miss for the next couple of days. I've Monday and Tuesday booked off as regardless of the result I'd say I'll be in a bad way Monday morning and if the improbably happens I can follow the team down to the homecoming.

So lads and lassies I wish everyone a safe trip up. Wear the Green and Gold with immense pride, bring the noise and colour tomorrow and shout till your tonsils burst for these fine young men that keep alive our awesome tradition and forge another link in its golden chain.

As Liam MacGabhann wrote:

"Listen, asthore, for those old eyes are sealed
Tell me once more when the Kerrymen take the field
Tell an old man who is feeble, grey and old
Do they walk proudly still wearing the Green and Gold?"

Listen, asthore, when Kerry take the field,
Tell me when they attack and when they yield;
Say if they fail; asthore, I'm blind and old,
Tell me they'll not dishonour the green and gold'.

Please God in 25 hours time we are celebrating title number 38!

Always and forever An Riocht Abu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
Town is nice and lovely good few green and gold tops about, sitting down now to a nice few social pints and ease into the weekend.

Still amazed that one pundit is giving us even half a fighting chance. Will this be the biggest upset since another 'great' Dublin team who were also raging favourites against Donegal in 92.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4261 - 31/08/2019 19:20:38    2231046

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Town is nice and lovely good few green and gold tops about, sitting down now to a nice few social pints and ease into the weekend.

Still amazed that one pundit is giving us even half a fighting chance. Will this be the biggest upset since another 'great' Dublin team who were also raging favourites against Donegal in 92."
Now seriously out of curiosity why the thumbs down- innocent comment about 92 and the hospitality of our capital city- sad some people

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4261 - 31/08/2019 19:59:22    2231050

Link

Just want to wish all Kerry fans a safe journey up to Dublin. Hope ye all enjoy the game.

avonali (Dublin) - Posts: 1230 - 31/08/2019 20:54:57    2231065

Link

Looking forward to the game now, come on the kingdom we can do it.

Themall1916 (Kerry) - Posts: 83 - 31/08/2019 22:22:38    2231082

Link

All that remains for me to say at this stage is to wish Kerry Squad and Management every Good Wishes tomorrow and to let you know there will be great support for you tomorrow in your quest to win Sam.
Going to bed now and ready for 8.30 train in the morning and after that the day takes on its own twists and turns.
I feel as excited as when I was a child many many many years ago,
Lets support them like never before and keep encouraging them every second of the match.
Ciarrai Abu.

traleeexile (Kerry) - Posts: 732 - 31/08/2019 22:23:00    2231083

Link

Best of luck to our Kerry team tomorrow afternoon. bring the canister home lads.

gallarus14 (Kerry) - Posts: 102 - 31/08/2019 22:28:39    2231084

Link

Laochra Chiarraí go neirí libh inniu As Fionn used to pray for his Fianna "go mbeadh neart i bhur ngèag ,gíle i bhùr gcroí agus beart do rèir bhur briathar"
Strength in your limbs joy in your hearts and deeds to match your words Sam come home Cíarraí Abù

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 01/09/2019 07:02:38    2231108

Link

All previews, opinions and talk will mean for nothing now. Time to go forward and be immortalised in sport. Best of luck to Pk, Tommy, Donie, James and Mossie I hope the plsyers play out your game plan and best of luck to the plsyers themselves - you've one proud and passionate county behind you.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4261 - 01/09/2019 09:43:08    2231118

Link

Very nearly, couldn't beat 14 dubs and yee should have. David Moran let yee down big time, he had 3 big possessions and didn't MIND the ball and it resulted in 3 points all when yee where up. After Morans display I hope the dubs win, massive chance and he literally handed it back to dubs

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 103 - 01/09/2019 17:12:02    2231260

Link

To some on here, if its ok to give my opinion??!!
Turning pt, the sending off. I think kerry will be more disappointed than dub this eve, dub got out of jail. Now to be fair, Dublin were uncharacteristically poor today from decisions to shooting... On the other hand, kerry brought huge intensity and also brought the unknown to Dublin.
For replay u would have to say Dublin would actually look forward to it rather than kerry as they want to show how to redeem themselves. Basically speaking Dublin have much more room for improvement compare to kerry so dublin will itching for this replay I think. Now so will kerry look forward but they must be asking themselves now what do they have to do to stop the drive for 5

luimneachboy (Limerick) - Posts: 237 - 01/09/2019 17:55:31    2231338

Link

An amazing game I thought Kerry were going to be opened up when the Cluxton/ Haworth / Mc Caffrey axis opened them up with that goal but a dogged approach kept them there and any one of the four gilt edged goal chances if taken would have Sam on his way south It was a marvellous performance there will be no,9/2 on offer for replay the experience of today the 'birth' of Killian Spillane as a stellar forward and Gavin Crowley's performance must give great hope for next day We'll done to all involved yes the future is bright and getting brighter . Hats off to everyone There will always be Kerry !

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 01/09/2019 18:17:06    2231369

Link

Replying To mise87:  "Very nearly, couldn't beat 14 dubs and yee should have. David Moran let yee down big time, he had 3 big possessions and didn't MIND the ball and it resulted in 3 points all when yee where up. After Morans display I hope the dubs win, massive chance and he literally handed it back to dubs"
I don't see the logic of your assumptions . Wait and see . The game will have brought those young Kerry boys on a ton .Less hype next day will suit them. Kerry must feel jilted in the U 17 how that Galway tam beat them is a mystery Cork beaten twice by Kerry in Munster

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 01/09/2019 18:22:20    2231376

Link