Derry Forum

New Derry Senior Manager

(Oldest Posts First)

Who shall be the chosen one to lift the poisoned chalice and attempt to lift our county out of this sad mess ?

Jim McGuiness.
Seamus Downey.
Kieran McKeever.

IssacBall (Derry) - Posts: 22 - 10/08/2019 16:37:18    2223418

Link

None of those 3 have been mentioned as being in the frame.

RoverTin (Derry) - Posts: 207 - 16/08/2019 11:31:03    2226326

Link

Rory Gallagher! Please, please - NO. Do we really want to watch the worst football in the country, as dictated by a 'tactical genius' who will drain away any joy left in playing for the county, players being mere implementers of systems. And, all this will come at considerable expense for our county.

doiregael2 (Derry) - Posts: 334 - 29/08/2019 18:57:17    2230513

Link

Just one question ,what happened in Fermanagh , left under a bit of a cloud.

smiler (Fermanagh) - Posts: 82 - 03/09/2019 17:45:25    2232489

Link

Just saw the news. We got the man whom Fermanagh got rid of and Monaghan didn't want, with the great Enda Muldoon as PR cover. The heart and beauty with which Enda played ball will certainly not be allowed any more. We now have a 'leader' in charge, a 'professional', a 'modern' coach - lucky us! Damian McErlain may have made mistakes at times but he is a good coach and a good man and was learning and progressing steadily with a bunch of good young footballers who trusted and liked him. To panic and have such lack of self-belief as to appoint a 'celebrity' manager to succeed him is a real low-point for Derry football, especially as we seem to be his last and only option in the intercounty manager marketplace at present.

doiregael2 (Derry) - Posts: 334 - 04/09/2019 00:12:55    2232598

Link

Derry football, I really am sorry for your troubles, a very sad day.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 765 - 05/09/2019 00:03:03    2232908

Link

Replying To doiregael2:  "Just saw the news. We got the man whom Fermanagh got rid of and Monaghan didn't want, with the great Enda Muldoon as PR cover. The heart and beauty with which Enda played ball will certainly not be allowed any more. We now have a 'leader' in charge, a 'professional', a 'modern' coach - lucky us! Damian McErlain may have made mistakes at times but he is a good coach and a good man and was learning and progressing steadily with a bunch of good young footballers who trusted and liked him. To panic and have such lack of self-belief as to appoint a 'celebrity' manager to succeed him is a real low-point for Derry football, especially as we seem to be his last and only option in the intercounty manager marketplace at present."
Such a load of tosh. McErlean brought us to Division Four 4, inept is word that springs to mind when I think of him as a senior county manager. Did well with the underage but that's his limit. Derry need a serious manager and Gallagher falls into this bracket. Our defence has been v poor structurally and a few years under Gallagher will develop this under standing. It will be another 2/3 years before our young players are at the age to push at intercounty and this step up in professional approach is whats needed.

MickeyMouse (Derry) - Posts: 174 - 09/09/2019 10:05:57    2233757

Link

Replying To MickeyMouse:  "Such a load of tosh. McErlean brought us to Division Four 4, inept is word that springs to mind when I think of him as a senior county manager. Did well with the underage but that's his limit. Derry need a serious manager and Gallagher falls into this bracket. Our defence has been v poor structurally and a few years under Gallagher will develop this under standing. It will be another 2/3 years before our young players are at the age to push at intercounty and this step up in professional approach is whats needed."
Professional approach!!!

ryan (Donegal) - Posts: 438 - 09/09/2019 17:38:22    2233915

Link

We wouldn't have been in Division 4 (or even Division 3) if the Slaughtneil men hadn't been unavailable for the vast majority of those two campaigns. Admittedly, the defence was very leaky for those two relegation years but there were an awful lot of very young backs playing without the McKaigues and Rogers to help bed them into senior intercounty football. This year, the defence performed well throughout the league and in the championship. The biggest problem as I saw it was an inability to secure possession off our own kick-outs if forced to go anyway long with them - hence we were penned into our own half when a limited enough but physically strong Laois team pushed up in the second half. This has been a problem for a number of years with Derry. With Fergal Doherty and Patsy Bradley gone we lack presence around the middle of the park and revert all the time to short kick-outs and trying to run everything the length of the park. I really don't believe there was an awful lot wrong with Derry's defending this year and I do believe that a number of those younger players have gained experience and are getting stronger year by year. There are plenty of skilful, improving footballers on the Derry panel.

doiregael2 (Derry) - Posts: 334 - 09/09/2019 21:32:43    2233974

Link

Gallagher had his day as a number 2, 7 years ago. The theory of him being the real genius, not Jimmy McGuiness, is well busted at this stage - ask anyone in Fermanagh or Donegal.

doiregael2 (Derry) - Posts: 334 - 10/09/2019 01:06:10    2234013

Link

Replying To doiregael2:  "Gallagher had his day as a number 2, 7 years ago. The theory of him being the real genius, not Jimmy McGuiness, is well busted at this stage - ask anyone in Fermanagh or Donegal."
First time I've heard that theory tbh. McGuinness was the tactician, Gallagher the coach. Gallagher took a very limited Fermanagh team to an Ulster Final and has been involved in 6 out of the last 8 Ulster Finals.

If you believed our County Board at the last club meeting, they contacted the Fermanagh Co Board who said they were very keen to keep Gallagher on. It was Gallagher's decision to leave.

For what it's worth, I wasn't keen on Gallagher, but having spoken to some players, I'm warming to the idea.

Seamy_Hendrix (Derry) - Posts: 47 - 11/09/2019 11:08:57    2234350

Link

Replying To Seamy_Hendrix:  "First time I've heard that theory tbh. McGuinness was the tactician, Gallagher the coach. Gallagher took a very limited Fermanagh team to an Ulster Final and has been involved in 6 out of the last 8 Ulster Finals.

If you believed our County Board at the last club meeting, they contacted the Fermanagh Co Board who said they were very keen to keep Gallagher on. It was Gallagher's decision to leave.

For what it's worth, I wasn't keen on Gallagher, but having spoken to some players, I'm warming to the idea."
McGuinness was the tactician and the coach. In 2013 Rory tried to undermine mcGuinness. He got rid of him.

ryan (Donegal) - Posts: 438 - 12/09/2019 22:11:49    2234892

Link

Replying To ryan:  "McGuinness was the tactician and the coach. In 2013 Rory tried to undermine mcGuinness. He got rid of him."
So what was Gallagher's role?

Seamy_Hendrix (Derry) - Posts: 47 - 13/09/2019 10:05:13    2234952

Link