Wexford Forum

Strengthening Panel 2020

(Oldest Posts First)

With the upcoming club championship matches is there any players that we feel would improve the hurling panel for next year by joining or rejoining the panel.

Podge Doran? Guiney? Andrew Shore? Andrew Kenny? Will Jack Cullen commit next year? Any of the minors old enough?

I think it's better form if we avoid ( my opinion) saying who should be dropped- as all the lads do their best

Yellow (Wexford) - Posts: 211 - 09/08/2019 14:46:50    2223051

Link

Maybe rather than talking about who should be involved we talk about those who WANT to be involved?
The above all have reasons they can't/won't commit - forget about them.

StoreysTash (Wexford) - Posts: 551 - 09/08/2019 15:14:27    2223072

Link

Replying To Yellow:  "With the upcoming club championship matches is there any players that we feel would improve the hurling panel for next year by joining or rejoining the panel.

Podge Doran? Guiney? Andrew Shore? Andrew Kenny? Will Jack Cullen commit next year? Any of the minors old enough?

I think it's better form if we avoid ( my opinion) saying who should be dropped- as all the lads do their best"
None of the above

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1170 - 09/08/2019 15:29:14    2223077

Link

Replying To Yellow:  "With the upcoming club championship matches is there any players that we feel would improve the hurling panel for next year by joining or rejoining the panel.

I think it's better form if we avoid ( my opinion) saying who should be dropped- as all the lads do their best"
Dont think they want or are able to commit. Not even sure if any of them would be fit enough for the squad the way it has evolved.

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 773 - 09/08/2019 16:15:13    2223104

Link

No offence but why are people still going on about the likes of jack guiney for one thing but Andrew shore!!

It's forwards not backwards we want the team to go.

tearintom (Wexford) - Posts: 810 - 09/08/2019 16:26:17    2223114

Link

Replying To Viking66:  "Dont think they want or are able to commit. Not even sure if any of them would be fit enough for the squad the way it has evolved."
If we are wondering if Andrew Shore / Podge Doran and Jack Guiney are committing we might as well wonder if Paul Codd is available too!!

MyOhMi (Wexford) - Posts: 45 - 09/08/2019 16:28:38    2223116

Link

I don't think we are in a position to forget about some of the aforementioned players....we desperately need new blood on the panel as I don't think we have the strength in depth to win an all Ireland with the current squad as good as that is. Some of these lads may not start games but they would certainly strengthen what is a poor bench. It's a pity Podge Doran didn't commit this year, maybe he'll still come back...he's a big goal threat. And Andrew shore would be a big boost too. Is he still living in Spain? Lads like Rory Higgins and Ross Donohoe got no game time this year...is Davy going to do the same thing next year and just use pretty much the same panel of players again or will he experiment for a change??

Purpleandgold72 (Wexford) - Posts: 18 - 09/08/2019 16:42:42    2223122

Link

I think there are good lads on the panel, but it is a step up to senior championship, and there hasn't been too much opportunity to rotate players. I'd like to see Ian Byrne, Darren Byrne, James Breen and Seamus Casey all get more game time in the league next year so they'll be well up to speed come championship to add to the lads most often used this year. Hopefully a couple of guys will put their hands up too from this years under 20 team and the club championships. I think there's a good panel there, just one or two additions and a bit more game time for the guys we haven't seen much of this year.

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts: 2385 - 09/08/2019 18:10:17    2223145

Link

I think we need to forget about guiney and shore for a start... What I would do is try to get the likes of Aodhán Doyle and Jack Cullen on board as I think they have something to offer especially Aodhán Doyle as his running game suits the way we play for wexford... Padge Doran could be persuaded to come back id say for all the critics he gets i think he physical presence could be a asset for wexford... Also think shane tomkins is another one who I would like to see back.. Most importantly we need to get game time to the likes of Ross donohoe Darren bryne Conal flood Eoin molloy as they have been talked of having big futures.. Walsh cup and league need to be about a mix of experience and i experience next year in my opinion

gannett83 (Wexford) - Posts: 219 - 09/08/2019 21:32:43    2223207

Link

Replying To gannett83:  "I think we need to forget about guiney and shore for a start... What I would do is try to get the likes of Aodhán Doyle and Jack Cullen on board as I think they have something to offer especially Aodhán Doyle as his running game suits the way we play for wexford... Padge Doran could be persuaded to come back id say for all the critics he gets i think he physical presence could be a asset for wexford... Also think shane tomkins is another one who I would like to see back.. Most importantly we need to get game time to the likes of Ross donohoe Darren bryne Conal flood Eoin molloy as they have been talked of having big futures.. Walsh cup and league need to be about a mix of experience and i experience next year in my opinion"
I agree with everything you say in respect of the younger players. I too would love to see Podge rejoining the panel. I think he got pee'd off being double marked, on his own, at full forward against Waterford two years ago in Cork, even after they had a man sent off. I hope he has a rethink and if Davy is back as manager, he'll give him a chance.
I also agree Shane Tomkins would add a lot to the present panel. He's had a great year so far with Askamore.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 477 - 09/08/2019 22:41:31    2223234

Link

Every team needs to be shaken up a bit at the start of a new season. If not players on the first 15 can get into a comfort zone. Competition for places is vital and lads on the panel must be tried. Guys sitting on the bench all the time will run out of patience and maybe leave the set up. Not using our subs in the league probably cost us an all Ireland appearance. I think Davy knows this and will give them and a few new lads some gametime in 2020.

Blockandhook (Wexford) - Posts: 347 - 10/08/2019 09:41:39    2223278

Link

Replying To gannett83:  "I think we need to forget about guiney and shore for a start... What I would do is try to get the likes of Aodhán Doyle and Jack Cullen on board as I think they have something to offer especially Aodhán Doyle as his running game suits the way we play for wexford... Padge Doran could be persuaded to come back id say for all the critics he gets i think he physical presence could be a asset for wexford... Also think shane tomkins is another one who I would like to see back.. Most importantly we need to get game time to the likes of Ross donohoe Darren bryne Conal flood Eoin molloy as they have been talked of having big futures.. Walsh cup and league need to be about a mix of experience and i experience next year in my opinion"
if a lad wont even commit to u20 i doubt he will be worth worrying about for the senior panel

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3454 - 10/08/2019 13:19:22    2223353

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "if a lad wont even commit to u20 i doubt he will be worth worrying about for the senior panel"
Correct perfect10. We can't keep going after lads who keep saying no. OK if he's doing exams or working far away from home that's understandable but otherwise if he refuses to join the panel then forget about them. Best to consentrate on players who are prepared to graft and give everything to wexford, hurling and football.

Blockandhook (Wexford) - Posts: 347 - 10/08/2019 13:52:59    2223369

Link

Replying To gminor:  "I agree with everything you say in respect of the younger players. I too would love to see Podge rejoining the panel. I think he got pee'd off being double marked, on his own, at full forward against Waterford two years ago in Cork, even after they had a man sent off. I hope he has a rethink and if Davy is back as manager, he'll give him a chance.
I also agree Shane Tomkins would add a lot to the present panel. He's had a great year so far with Askamore."
Kevin sheridan is another one who I think is a fine hurler for oulart and has been playing very well as has Billy dunne liams son... Eoin Moore could offer something still if he can put injury nightmare behind him...i think our bench needs to strengthen more for me

gannett83 (Wexford) - Posts: 219 - 10/08/2019 21:10:33    2223647

Link

For me though I have Been saying it for last 5 years about des mythen his the best non intercounty hurler in wexford for me it's a pity he wasn't 10 years younger... I remember him when he played intercounty back in 2005 was last time I think had to quit or retire due to injury

gannett83 (Wexford) - Posts: 219 - 13/08/2019 20:10:09    2225258

Link

Replying To gannett83:  "For me though I have Been saying it for last 5 years about des mythen his the best non intercounty hurler in wexford for me it's a pity he wasn't 10 years younger... I remember him when he played intercounty back in 2005 was last time I think had to quit or retire due to injury"
There was a lot more to it than that.

StoreysTash (Wexford) - Posts: 551 - 16/08/2019 16:22:07    2226477

Link

Replying To StoreysTash:  "There was a lot more to it than that."
???

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts: 2385 - 20/08/2019 07:19:46    2227750

Link

Replying To icehonesty:  "???"
Go ask anyone in Oulart why Des Mythen didn't hurl in that period.

StoreysTash (Wexford) - Posts: 551 - 20/08/2019 13:42:07    2227883

Link

Replying To StoreysTash:  "Go ask anyone in Oulart why Des Mythen didn't hurl in that period."
You seem to know, why don't you say? I don't know anyone from Oulart.

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts: 2385 - 20/08/2019 15:54:28    2227930

Link