Donegal Forum

Donegal Club Championship,S

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Donegal007:  "You're comments a few months ago demonstrated your disliking to I don't know the town itself or that group of players .Someone from around there must've wronged you before .whatever about them they play a positive brand of football and yes they are nieve at times but they are highly entertaining and are rarely in a bad game of football win or lose"
I seem to have hit a nerve with you are you sure you're not a fully paid member of aodh ruadh??

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 463 - 12/10/2019 21:48:32    2243066

Link

Replying To totalrecall:  "I seem to have hit a nerve with you are you sure you're not a fully paid member of aodh ruadh??"
Not at all just they are a good team nice to watch and thought your comments regarding them were over the top.I don't you're far from that neck of the woods by the looks of things

Donegal007 (Donegal) - Posts: 5 - 13/10/2019 17:01:16    2243173

Link

Chatting to a Naomh Conaill member today, told me a few of the Naomh Conaill management travelled down to watch the Cavan final yesterday. The winners this Sunday play the Cavan winners in Ulster quarter.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 414 - 14/10/2019 19:42:47    2243524

Link

Replying To AudiMan:  "Chatting to a Naomh Conaill member today, told me a few of the Naomh Conaill management travelled down to watch the Cavan final yesterday. The winners this Sunday play the Cavan winners in Ulster quarter."
I imagine Gweedore did too. It is smart ambitious management but I am sure they are more than well aware of the big task at hand at the weekend.

On another note congrats to St Nauls and commiserations to Cloughaneely after yesterday's intermediate final. The winners were probably just about the best team. A poor first half was followed by an exciting end to end second half in horrible conditions. The introduction of Cloughaneely substitutes after the first half gave them more impetus. However a couple of bad decisions turned the tide and a couple of top drawer scores sealed it for St Nauls at the end. I fully expect Cloughaneely to put yesterday behind them in the next year or 2. They will need a fully fit and firing Jason McGee and John Fitzgerald to do so.

In terms of county watch Jason McGee had a reasonable afternoon but definitely tired as the game went on which to be expected as not 100% since his injury. Peader Mogan was at his best when the pressure was at its highest in the second half very similar to the U-20 game against Fermanagh back in June. Physically he is ready for senior football after putting in serious work. He is very hard to stop when running at full flow and has all the hallmarks of playing a sweeper role. Expect he will see game time in the league but has to continue to develop to make an impact.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2184 - 14/10/2019 22:40:00    2243572

Link

Short and sweet prediction for the weekend- Gweedore have to much firepower all over the pitch and know their gameplan. Glenties will be caught between a rock and a hard place of not wanting to replicate their last 2 final performances (negative) and the natural inclination to play that way again as the most obvious way to try and frustrate Gweedore. They simply dont have the depth of scorers to take Gweedore on in a shoot out.

I see Gweedore winning this with 5 or 6pts to spare.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 232 - 15/10/2019 11:55:37    2243659

Link

I think Glenties will need goals. But that will be easier said than done. I was very impressed by how good Gaoth Dobhair were tactically against Kilcar. They were very disciplined in not committing too many men to attack, because we all know how lethal Kilcar can be on the counter with their pace. Gaoth Dobhair kept them at arms' length and crucially were very clinical when it came to their own goal chances.

I see a similar game unfolding this weekend. Gaoth Dobhair to start cautiously to see what Glenties have to offer, but as the game develops they will have too much physicality and scoring threats for the Glenties men to deal with.

Can see a 4 or 5 point win for Gaoth Dobhair.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 6573 - 15/10/2019 13:22:02    2243684

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "I think Glenties will need goals. But that will be easier said than done. I was very impressed by how good Gaoth Dobhair were tactically against Kilcar. They were very disciplined in not committing too many men to attack, because we all know how lethal Kilcar can be on the counter with their pace. Gaoth Dobhair kept them at arms' length and crucially were very clinical when it came to their own goal chances.

I see a similar game unfolding this weekend. Gaoth Dobhair to start cautiously to see what Glenties have to offer, but as the game develops they will have too much physicality and scoring threats for the Glenties men to deal with.

Can see a 4 or 5 point win for Gaoth Dobhair."
What makes u think that

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 151 - 15/10/2019 15:37:59    2243733

Link

Replying To gaanervous:  "What makes u think that"
Thought I had explained it in the post no? Just my opinion. Glenties could very well prove me wrong. The hurt of losing the last two finals will be a huge motivating factor and if they get their attacking game plan right then who knows?

But I just think Gaoth Dobhair are a very mature team now who know how to manage games extremely well. It will take a massive Glenties performance to beat them.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 6573 - 15/10/2019 16:16:35    2243746

Link

Conventional wisdom points to a gaoth dobhair victory this Sunday especially given their display last week. Can an underachieving team like naomh conaill step up and cause a shock this weekend?? I think they are capable, and gaoth dobhair will need similar performance levels to the last day to prevail.

I am looking forward to going to a good contest and I think it will be a narrow win for the magheragallon men

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 463 - 15/10/2019 17:50:43    2243770

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Thought I had explained it in the post no? Just my opinion. Glenties could very well prove me wrong. The hurt of losing the last two finals will be a huge motivating factor and if they get their attacking game plan right then who knows?

But I just think Gaoth Dobhair are a very mature team now who know how to manage games extremely well. It will take a massive Glenties performance to beat them."
We're u at the game between them and Eunan,s some game ,some team at home I might add .
Hi

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 151 - 15/10/2019 18:23:02    2243777

Link

Replying To gaanervous:  "We're u at the game between them and Eunan,s some game ,some team at home I might add .
Hi"
You're speaking in riddles now. No idea what point you're attempting to arrive at.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 6573 - 15/10/2019 18:51:08    2243788

Link

Replying To totalrecall:  "Conventional wisdom points to a gaoth dobhair victory this Sunday especially given their display last week. Can an underachieving team like naomh conaill step up and cause a shock this weekend?? I think they are capable, and gaoth dobhair will need similar performance levels to the last day to prevail.

I am looking forward to going to a good contest and I think it will be a narrow win for the magheragallon men"
Underachieving???? How many clubs in donegal would love to have had the success we have had over the last 15 years? Don't get me wrong we could and probably should have won more but you can't say we underachieved considering we had only been in 1 final before 05 to then being in 8 until present day and winning three of them. Not to forget we were the first club in 19 years to make an ulster final. Would you not say that Eunans underachieved then considering that they never made an ulster final even after their dominance in Donegal?

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 308 - 16/10/2019 08:56:04    2243872

Link

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "Underachieving???? How many clubs in donegal would love to have had the success we have had over the last 15 years? Don't get me wrong we could and probably should have won more but you can't say we underachieved considering we had only been in 1 final before 05 to then being in 8 until present day and winning three of them. Not to forget we were the first club in 19 years to make an ulster final. Would you not say that Eunans underachieved then considering that they never made an ulster final even after their dominance in Donegal?"
Naomh Conaill have underachieved at senior level relative to the their underage success, taking into their success at minor and u-21 level in particular, i think 3 senior championships in in 13 years represents underachievement for this group

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 463 - 16/10/2019 12:54:54    2243914

Link

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "Underachieving???? How many clubs in donegal would love to have had the success we have had over the last 15 years? Don't get me wrong we could and probably should have won more but you can't say we underachieved considering we had only been in 1 final before 05 to then being in 8 until present day and winning three of them. Not to forget we were the first club in 19 years to make an ulster final. Would you not say that Eunans underachieved then considering that they never made an ulster final even after their dominance in Donegal?"
We have won 5 from last 11 championships - only lost one.

Won numerous leagues

Won reserves and junior champ

Did the clean sweep at adult level winning senior , reserve, junior

Won senior c this year

About to do back to back league and champ doubles in reserves

Current u21 champ - prob win again this year

Dominated at underage

Won ulster at underage

But yea we are defo underachieving

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1139 - 16/10/2019 12:56:23    2243915

Link

Replying To eunans4ever:  "We have won 5 from last 11 championships - only lost one.

Won numerous leagues

Won senior c this year

Dominated at underage

Won ulster at underage

But yea we are defo underachieving"
Good for u well done

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 151 - 16/10/2019 14:18:56    2243935

Link

Replying To eunans4ever:  "We have won 5 from last 11 championships - only lost one.

Won numerous leagues

Won senior c this year

Dominated at underage

Won ulster at underage

Eunans are to Donegal football what Dublin are to inter-county football. Eunans should be winning the vast majority of of competitions at all levels and going into Ulster and doing well. They have never done anything in Ulster.

Eunan's should be be gauging success against the best 'big town' clubs like Portlaoise and Dr. Crokes, not against Glenties or Kilcar

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 216 - 16/10/2019 14:22:46    2243937

Link

Won numerous leagues

Won senior c this year

Dominated at underage

Won ulster at underage

Eunan's the DUBLIN of donegal club football, massive pick, deep pockets and all the arrogance you could want to boot ;-)

With all the long list of honours you mentioned in your post you should really be embarrassed by not winning 11 in a row and 4 or 5 uslter titles also ;-)

ulsterrules (Donegal) - Posts: 154 - 16/10/2019 14:23:06    2243938

Link

Won numerous leagues

Won senior c this year

Dominated at underage

Won ulster at underage

A lot of the "achievements" you list are at reserve, junior senior c, not to mention cheap talk about what you are going to do.

As things stand Eunan's are a mid table outfit and are a big only because of the truly enormous pick they have.

As a club they are practically non functional in that they attract practically no support of any description. Take the Mammies & Daddies out of it & there would be hardly anyone at their games with no need for anyone to spend their day getting cold at the gate.

There is a lot more to being a club than winning trophies.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4949 - 16/10/2019 20:18:11    2243978

Link

How do we see teams setting-up on Sunday. If anyone has watched Gaothdobhair they play a very defensive, counter-attacking game. How will the Glenties men approach the game do people think? If they can stop Gaothdobhair from scoring goals, they will have a chance.

ryan (Donegal) - Posts: 446 - 16/10/2019 21:27:13    2243988

Link

Going to be a great game hard hitting with some of the greatest Donegal players of the generation on show Leo Mc, 2 McGee's, Cassidy, Ordhan whats not to get excited about.

On paper it has to be Gweedore but you have to love the smart way Glenties set up and the heart they play with, 3rd final in a row shows their class and ability.

ulsterrules (Donegal) - Posts: 154 - 17/10/2019 09:36:37    2244024

Link