Donegal Forum

Donegal Club Championship,S

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "Rory Kavanagh got a red so he is out & I hear that Rory Carr picked up a serious injury. If there is to be an upset this will be it."
No chance - more hope of Leitrim 4 Sam 2020

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1139 - 26/09/2019 14:11:03    2239390

Link

Replying To ryan:  "Milford to teach the boys from the town a lesson on Saturday evening."
And what lesson might that be ??

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1139 - 26/09/2019 14:11:24    2239391

Link

Replying To HEREBENJI:  "Feel sorry for Rory Carr, the lad has no luck. As a minor he looked exceptional."
There was nothing in the challenge also - concerning how the shoulder injury keeps happening

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1139 - 26/09/2019 14:12:27    2239392

Link

He's not in the team for his running, we have plenty of young fellas for that. He is there for his intelligence, leadership, & ability to read the game.

You would give your back teeth to have him.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4949 - 26/09/2019 17:20:54    2239426

Link

Replying To eunans4ever:  "So what did you make of the Game at the bridge ?"
Very enjoyable game and could have gone either way. St Eunans were more comfortable in possession and looked the more balanced team but had to dig deep being a point and man down against the breeze in injury time. Their defenders brought a greater scoring threat whenever they attacked. Great to watch the accuracy of S. Patton's kick outs, N. O'Donnell's pace /finishing and seeing C. Toye lead St Michael's comeback.
Hope St Eunan's full forward was made comfortable by medics soon after unfortunately picking up that horrific injury from minimum contact, looked to be in agony and we feared he would pass out from the acute pain. Highlighted once again why we should have zero tolerance against personal attacks by pundits on amateur players who are still expected to report for work on Monday morning.
Did a lot of walking and exploring scenic areas in your county but still managed to see three club games (and IRL v SCO Sun am). Looking forward to seeing the two quarter finals live on RTE2 Saturday. Hard to disagree with Manus about the big 4 reaching the semis but you never know.

Curlew66 (Roscommon) - Posts: 353 - 26/09/2019 22:44:48    2239515

Link

Replying To Curlew66:  "Very enjoyable game and could have gone either way. St Eunans were more comfortable in possession and looked the more balanced team but had to dig deep being a point and man down against the breeze in injury time. Their defenders brought a greater scoring threat whenever they attacked. Great to watch the accuracy of S. Patton's kick outs, N. O'Donnell's pace /finishing and seeing C. Toye lead St Michael's comeback.
Hope St Eunan's full forward was made comfortable by medics soon after unfortunately picking up that horrific injury from minimum contact, looked to be in agony and we feared he would pass out from the acute pain. Highlighted once again why we should have zero tolerance against personal attacks by pundits on amateur players who are still expected to report for work on Monday morning.
Did a lot of walking and exploring scenic areas in your county but still managed to see three club games (and IRL v SCO Sun am). Looking forward to seeing the two quarter finals live on RTE2 Saturday. Hard to disagree with Manus about the big 4 reaching the semis but you never know."
What other games did you see? Any players stand out bar who you mentioned. Glad u enjoyed the game. Apologies as I misinformed u about the red hughs naomh brid game. Red Hughs had already qualified forgot it was 3 groups.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2185 - 27/09/2019 15:30:59    2239664

Link

Great post Curlew, would love to hear your thoughts on the other two games too! Hope you enjoyed yourself!

Goitse (Donegal) - Posts: 43 - 28/09/2019 16:01:55    2239841

Link

Eunans looked good this evening, disappointing from Milford but they played well at times,just outclassed, I don't think KIlcar are going to win the championship anyway, they looked a bit lost when Killybegs tightened up the defence, Gaoth Dobhair are the team to beat.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 783 - 28/09/2019 23:06:33    2239917

Link

Eunans looked very impressive against an admittedly poor Milford while Kilcar had a poor third quarter against Killybegs.

It was the introduction of Michael Hegarty that steadied the ship after Killybegs has scored 5 points in a row to narrow the gap to 4 but a tiring Killybegs ran out of steam & lost the last quarter 06 - 01.

Patrick played well within himself & Kilcar missed at least 5 good goal chances so there is plenty of room for improvement.

All to play for.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4949 - 29/09/2019 02:12:56    2239933

Link

Replying To culmore:  "Milford could cause an unset , Eunans have only one scoring forward O Donnell , if he is marked or has an off day then I cant see where they will get enough scores to win game. Milford have some serious young players coming through and were badly hindered during the League with injuries."
That worked out well

5-22 and all bar 1 from play with 11 different scorers

Dunno where this rubbish comes from about our scoring

Been shooting lights out all year in the league and lots of Games without Niall O D

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1139 - 29/09/2019 09:17:15    2239949

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "Rory Kavanagh got a red so he is out & I hear that Rory Carr picked up a serious injury. If there is to be an upset this will be it."
Great call

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1139 - 29/09/2019 09:17:46    2239950

Link

Replying To ryan:  "Milford to teach the boys from the town a lesson on Saturday evening."
Ouch - that must have been painful for you to watch an absolute out and out mauling

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1139 - 29/09/2019 09:18:43    2239951

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "He's not in the team for his running, we have plenty of young fellas for that. He is there for his intelligence, leadership, & ability to read the game.

You would give your back teeth to have him."
Nope wouldn't swap him for hens teeth

Decent player 10 years ago -

Would much rather a player with leadership , ability to read the Game , intelligence and actually be able to motor up and down the park - and we have plenty of those

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1139 - 29/09/2019 09:21:25    2239953

Link

Great to see the county board giving the live streaming a go today for Glenties & Glenfin. There are a dozen or so counties already providing similar services and, while no replacement for actually being there, it's a fantastic development. Quite a few of the counties had some teething problems at the start so I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same here but worth persevering with. Well done all.

Goitse (Donegal) - Posts: 43 - 29/09/2019 10:33:50    2239973

Link

The stream was very successful and, with the commentary borrowed in from highland, excellent coverage all round.

Goitse (Donegal) - Posts: 43 - 29/09/2019 17:30:21    2240065

Link

For all the games that were on tv or being streamed the most exciting one wasn't in letterkenny

crnm (Donegal) - Posts: 79 - 29/09/2019 20:48:24    2240111

Link

Replying To eunans4ever:  "Ouch - that must have been painful for you to watch an absolute out and out mauling"
Reverse psychology, I'm a eunans man at heart. Killybegs, Glenfin and Bundoran all put up a good show. Unfortunately Milford have a big opinion of themselves and have been badly exposed. Some good footballers but no organization or game plan whatsoever. Sure the hurlers taught them a lesson a few years ago in the 'B' championship.

ryan (Donegal) - Posts: 446 - 30/09/2019 00:31:48    2240176

Link

Replying To ryan:  "Reverse psychology, I'm a eunans man at heart. Killybegs, Glenfin and Bundoran all put up a good show. Unfortunately Milford have a big opinion of themselves and have been badly exposed. Some good footballers but no organization or game plan whatsoever. Sure the hurlers taught them a lesson a few years ago in the 'B' championship."
I c the gloating from the Eunon,s supporters ,when it should be encouraging them on the progress they have made from nowhere really ,and it's understandable how excited they r with that ,don't criticise when some one is on the way down ,for one day u may meet them on their way back up ,I don't come from Milford ,but I don't like bragging about one's self ,
It

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 151 - 30/09/2019 09:44:21    2240200

Link

Well that was an interesting weekend to say the least. Lets take the action in Ballybofey to begin with. My initial feeling is that it was a poor choice for live TV. Poor crowd and winning margins of 26 and 9 ( the latter looking relatively tight in comparison to the first)- put in the context of 2 humdinging ties in store this coming weekend in the Semi Final and you just feel the trigger was pulled too early.

I dont know where to start with the Milford St Eunans game. This was built up during the week as a tight contest, Milford getting a result in O'Donnell Park recently cited as evidence. A 26pt defeat actually flattered Milford- it should have been 40. I have never in my life saw such a gulf in ability, conditioning and tactics at a quarter final stage like it. The space afforded to St Eunans attackers was staggering- not a glove laid all day long- 10 goal chances conceded. I've seen it mentioned online that maybe the Live TV coverage spooked them, but surely when the ball is thrown in you forget all about that and get on with the game?regardless of that- Live TV wasnt the reason that almost to a man, Milford were overweight and out of condition in comparison to their direct man from St Eunans. When that is happening x 15 you are in for a long afternoon and on that note lets move on.

The 2nd game was a more enjoyable contest with Killybegs showing great heart and resolve to give it their all till the final whistle and not go under the way Milford did without a fight. Kilcar were awesome at times and the pace they transitioned from defence to attack was at times something more akin to the Dubs in full flow than a club side. Kilcar will wonder what went on between half time (+9) and a spell the in the 2nd half where the lead was cut to 4. Has to be noted within this period that Kilcar had 2 or 3 nailed on goal chances and kicked a number of poor wides. If even afew of those had registered a score the gap may well have been up nearer 20pts by the end.

Out in the Glen on Sunday morning we got the tight nip and tuck encounter that was predicted in the small confines of Pairc Naomh Columba. Stellar stuff from Glenfin in their first season back in the senior championship and for Glenties, they will very much see it as job done. The aim would have been to get back to the final 4 and possibly they have been keeping their powder dry for a rap at the big guns- next week will tell if Naomh Conaill have a new strategy worth taking seriously or will it be a return to type when the pressure comes on.

Finally, what a rattle Bundoran gave it in O'Donnell Park, a staggering come back from the dead to shake the Ulster Champions to their foundations.Something is not right with Gweedore and they are some way off the swashbuckling side we saw this time last year, Heavy lies the crown perhaps? If they dont get their house in order sharpish in the next 7 days they will have no crown left to worry about. Single most significant thing about this game- any Gaels who have a 4 fold bet on the big 4 all winning the QFs would have been absolutely shattered by that come back-as technically in betting terms the game ended a draw and would have ruined the bet!

The supposed formalities are over, the big 4 are at the party, let battle commence.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 232 - 30/09/2019 09:47:00    2240201

Link

Replying To eunans4ever:  "Great call"
Right enough, Eunan's that was some performance against a really classy Milford outfit.

Hard to see anyone stopping the city boys now.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4949 - 30/09/2019 10:02:34    2240210

Link