Donegal Forum

Donegal Club Championship,S

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To AudiMan:  "Hi ManusFromHeaven:. Very true, the Ulster club champions seemed fear struck. St Eunans came with the Rory G plan, I thought everyone had that well sussed by now, seems not. Easy victory for Naomh Conaill but appear to have a few injuries in the camp. Nothing observed from those 3 teams in first round to even trouble Kilcar in the slightest. In other news, spare a thought for poor Dungloe, they knew about Gallen since March and still couldn't stop him scoring 2-8 from play. Jesus wept!"
Wouldn't read too much into one game audiman.

St Eunan's have tipped their hand & I can't see them pulling that trick again & getting away with it

I fully expect Gaoith Dobhair to come good after a wake up call like that & as for Kilcar, yes they are going very well but they are not really being challenged by anyone & you often don't really know where you are in that situation. I wouldn't like our first tough game to be against Gaoith Dobhair!

All to play for yet.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4949 - 10/09/2019 09:19:43    2234027

Link

Replying To AudiMan:  "Hi ManusFromHeaven:. Very true, the Ulster club champions seemed fear struck. St Eunans came with the Rory G plan, I thought everyone had that well sussed by now, seems not. Easy victory for Naomh Conaill but appear to have a few injuries in the camp. Nothing observed from those 3 teams in first round to even trouble Kilcar in the slightest. In other news, spare a thought for poor Dungloe, they knew about Gallen since March and still couldn't stop him scoring 2-8 from play. Jesus wept!"
Lets call a spade a spade about poor Dungloe- they are hanging on to the very coattails of even being in the Senior Championship and IMO would be far better suited to afew years in the intermediate where a young team might actually win the odd game and develop a winning habit. Harsh as that may seem, when you have a team totally devoid of county senior players, and only 1 or 2 in an around Minor/U21 squads in recent years... how are you going to win senior championship games? Whos going to stop the likes of Gallen and O'Reilly who are going to be light years ahead in sharpness and fitness before ability is even considered? Asking some lad from Dungloe to stop Oisin Gallen who has troubled the likes of Kerry in Croke Park, is no different to asking someone who plays in League 2 to put the stoppers on Mo Salah in soccer- its a non starter owing to the levels involved.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 232 - 10/09/2019 11:10:00    2234075

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "Wouldn't read too much into one game audiman.

St Eunan's have tipped their hand & I can't see them pulling that trick again & getting away with it

I fully expect Gaoith Dobhair to come good after a wake up call like that & as for Kilcar, yes they are going very well but they are not really being challenged by anyone & you often don't really know where you are in that situation. I wouldn't like our first tough game to be against Gaoith Dobhair!

All to play for yet."
Which trick exactly might that be ?

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1139 - 10/09/2019 12:40:05    2234102

Link

I see Brendan devenney wasn't too impressed with the natch. The problem is that blanket defence can work especially in trying kicking conditions. It's hard not be be disappointed though. You have the two most successful clubs in donegal championship history with two decent teams at present and the best they can muster between then in 6 points to 1-3. They both should have much higher aspirations than that. The county team have definitely changed its philosophy and club scene seems to have improved. Does anyone want to a see a repeat of the county final of two years ago.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 223 - 10/09/2019 13:13:31    2234113

Link

Replying To eunans4ever:  "Which trick exactly might that be ?"
Ah my old friend eunans4ever, back for another few weeks of belligerence until his beloved Eunans get dumped out of the championship despite his prophecies of glory for the cathedral town.

The trick is to resurrect the old "park the bus" routine which most of us had thought/hoped had disappeared forever from the playing fields of Donegal.

Gaoith Dobhair clearly weren't expecting such a timid approach from the superstars of our largest club and, surprisingly, failed to adapt.

However others , including teams from small villages like Kilcar, are now forewarned & forearmed.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4949 - 10/09/2019 13:37:35    2234116

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Lets call a spade a spade about poor Dungloe- they are hanging on to the very coattails of even being in the Senior Championship and IMO would be far better suited to afew years in the intermediate where a young team might actually win the odd game and develop a winning habit. Harsh as that may seem, when you have a team totally devoid of county senior players, and only 1 or 2 in an around Minor/U21 squads in recent years... how are you going to win senior championship games? Whos going to stop the likes of Gallen and O'Reilly who are going to be light years ahead in sharpness and fitness before ability is even considered? Asking some lad from Dungloe to stop Oisin Gallen who has troubled the likes of Kerry in Croke Park, is no different to asking someone who plays in League 2 to put the stoppers on Mo Salah in soccer- its a non starter owing to the levels involved."
Hi ManusFromHeaven:. Dungloe knew about Gallen, they had plenty time to plan for him but ultimately failed. Don't blame the players for that.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 414 - 10/09/2019 14:45:55    2234130

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "Ah my old friend eunans4ever, back for another few weeks of belligerence until his beloved Eunans get dumped out of the championship despite his prophecies of glory for the cathedral town.

The trick is to resurrect the old "park the bus" routine which most of us had thought/hoped had disappeared forever from the playing fields of Donegal.

Gaoith Dobhair clearly weren't expecting such a timid approach from the superstars of our largest club and, surprisingly, failed to adapt.

However others , including teams from small villages like Kilcar, are now forewarned & forearmed."
So u attended the game ????

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1139 - 10/09/2019 15:00:30    2234134

Link

Replying To AudiMan:  "Hi ManusFromHeaven:. Dungloe knew about Gallen, they had plenty time to plan for him but ultimately failed. Don't blame the players for that."
There is no plan where ordinary players nearer to Intermediate level- stop a top intercounty forward- none.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 232 - 10/09/2019 15:33:41    2234144

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "There is no plan where ordinary players nearer to Intermediate level- stop a top intercounty forward- none."
Manus remember what Roy said fail to prepare etc

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 414 - 10/09/2019 20:19:04    2234189

Link

Or how about young Gallen just being an exceptional talent........

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 463 - 10/09/2019 20:40:37    2234196

Link

Replying To eunans4ever:  "So u attended the game ????"
No,I wasn't there, thanks be to God. I am relying on myriad reports from people whose judgement I would rely on including HS posters.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4949 - 10/09/2019 22:04:57    2234237

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "No,I wasn't there, thanks be to God. I am relying on myriad reports from people whose judgement I would rely on including HS posters."
If u weren't there - how do u figure it was one team played a particular way??

Both teams played exactly the same - in fact the same as most teams will play all year.

Horrific conditions did have a major impact on the game

Both teams will be in the last 8 and I wouldn't rule either out

How many champ have kilcar won in last 20 years to justify the noise ??

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1139 - 10/09/2019 22:17:33    2234238

Link

Replying To AudiMan:  "Manus remember what Roy said fail to prepare etc"
....yawn

Are you to suggest that the most experienced manager in the senior championship, and a Glenfin man at that, does not know all that there is to know about Farrah? Give over.

You're talking about a club that had 3 men aged 25 or over on the matchday squad. They can only work with what they have.

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 80 - 11/09/2019 13:39:16    2234405

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "No,I wasn't there, thanks be to God. I am relying on myriad reports from people whose judgement I would rely on including HS posters."
As a neutral and from being at the game. I Wudnt blame one team for the way the way the match turned out. Both were as guilty. In my mind and in most people's mind both teams knew this was a game which neither could afford to lose. . Hence the cagey game. In my mind these are two of the top four teams in donegal. You would expect both to beat ardara so the games against st michaels is crucial to both teams. This gweedore team can play attacking football as they proved last year and st Eunans are another team with huge potential . I feel both will get better and could even meet again. Kilcar I feel need a test but won't get it unless the semi that's if they avoid the runners up in gweedores group in quarter final. Not great preparation in my mind. No denying there potential some fantastic players. But will the easy draw work against them.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 693 - 11/09/2019 14:18:09    2234421

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "As a neutral and from being at the game. I Wudnt blame one team for the way the way the match turned out. Both were as guilty. In my mind and in most people's mind both teams knew this was a game which neither could afford to lose. . Hence the cagey game. In my mind these are two of the top four teams in donegal. You would expect both to beat ardara so the games against st michaels is crucial to both teams. This gweedore team can play attacking football as they proved last year and st Eunans are another team with huge potential . I feel both will get better and could even meet again. Kilcar I feel need a test but won't get it unless the semi that's if they avoid the runners up in gweedores group in quarter final. Not great preparation in my mind. No denying there potential some fantastic players. But will the easy draw work against them."
Was at the game too and agree both teams contributed to making it a stinker to watch. Conditions weren't great, but they were not that bad either, so I don't think that can be used as a reason. Not sure why the teams felt the need to be so negative in a first round group game. Surely both will be heavy favorites to beat Ardara and Michaels anyway so should have seen this game as a chance to have a go and take control of the group.

I think Gweedore have the players to play a few different ways and will as the season goes on. I'd be worried for Eunan's that its the only way they can play now

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 216 - 11/09/2019 16:25:01    2234491

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "As a neutral and from being at the game. I Wudnt blame one team for the way the way the match turned out. Both were as guilty. In my mind and in most people's mind both teams knew this was a game which neither could afford to lose. . Hence the cagey game. In my mind these are two of the top four teams in donegal. You would expect both to beat ardara so the games against st michaels is crucial to both teams. This gweedore team can play attacking football as they proved last year and st Eunans are another team with huge potential . I feel both will get better and could even meet again. Kilcar I feel need a test but won't get it unless the semi that's if they avoid the runners up in gweedores group in quarter final. Not great preparation in my mind. No denying there potential some fantastic players. But will the easy draw work against them."
Spot on

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1139 - 11/09/2019 18:59:28    2234531

Link

Replying To himachechy:  "Was at the game too and agree both teams contributed to making it a stinker to watch. Conditions weren't great, but they were not that bad either, so I don't think that can be used as a reason. Not sure why the teams felt the need to be so negative in a first round group game. Surely both will be heavy favorites to beat Ardara and Michaels anyway so should have seen this game as a chance to have a go and take control of the group.

I think Gweedore have the players to play a few different ways and will as the season goes on. I'd be worried for Eunan's that its the only way they can play now"
Only way we can play ??

No need to be worried - the future is bright

We have built a completely new team from the team that had been the most successful in our history

This young outfit will blossom in the coming years

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1139 - 11/09/2019 19:01:27    2234532

Link

Replying To eunans4ever:  "If u weren't there - how do u figure it was one team played a particular way??

Both teams played exactly the same - in fact the same as most teams will play all year.

Horrific conditions did have a major impact on the game

Both teams will be in the last 8 and I wouldn't rule either out

How many champ have kilcar won in last 20 years to justify the noise ??"
I can only go by the reports I have seen, & I never said that only one team played negatively, I just think Gaoith Dobhair got suckered into it & couldn't find a way out. Fair play to Eunans for getting away with it but I stand by what I said, that's a stunt you can pull only once as the surprise element is gone.

As for your assertion that most teams play that way, I have to disagree. I haven't seen many games recently that managed only 10 scores in total & the conditions weren't that bad.

I wouldn't be so sure that both will reach the last 8. Yes, they are favourites but St Michaels are back in this group big time if they manage a result against either.

As to the number of championships Kilcar have won in the past 20 years, I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, All I said was that on current form both themselves & Gaoith Dobhair are strong favourites & the bookies back this up.

All to play for.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4949 - 11/09/2019 19:03:25    2234533

Link

Replying To AudiMan:  "Hi Ryan: Can't see Dungloe or Milford doing much now that the soccer season is upon us."
Quarter final of the senior Championship for Milford, AudiMan.

Soccer season doesn't seem to have affected them too much. Good shout though.

ballboy101 (Donegal) - Posts: 130 - 14/09/2019 21:54:11    2235341

Link

Replying To ballboy101:  "Quarter final of the senior Championship for Milford, AudiMan.

Soccer season doesn't seem to have affected them too much. Good shout though."
Hi ballboy101:. Aye fair play to Milford. Credit where credits due.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 414 - 14/09/2019 22:25:22    2235362

Link