Donegal Forum

Donegal Club Championship,S

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To gaanervous:  "U and gunman r talking a load of rubbish ,I would say like the rest u were both wrong about the quality of Naomh Conaill and r trying to hide from that fact and as far as Cloughaneely r concerned weren't they in Division I or am I wrong on that ."
What are u on about quality? Or what has the league got to do with anything? And rubbish? What I stated is actual facts. On one hand you dismissed Cloughaneely's fixture pile up even though completely comparable and if anything worse. I agreed that the Glentie's fixture should be moved but used Cloghaneely as an example why it would not given the actual little regard the powers that be have for player welfare unless when used to be undermine a certain underage competition. The Donegal U-21's had something similar a couple of years ago leaving them at a serious disadvantage with fixture pile ups but again highlighted that the GAA don't do common sense with fixtures. You seem to got in your head I have an agenda against Glentie's which far from the case and I will be supporting them in Ulster.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2184 - 02/11/2019 10:37:48    2247194

Link

Congrats to NC today in getting to an Ulster club semi final and with it getting a deserved break before the semi final. Did not really matter how they done it today as was all about getting the win. Similar sentiments to St Nauls and Buncrana on wins representing the county. However it has come at a cost for St Nauls and Daniel Brennan who will be out of their next game after receiving a red card. Absolutely massive loss for them.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2184 - 03/11/2019 18:03:21    2247455

Link

Cracking set of results with all three winning.

Goitse (Donegal) - Posts: 43 - 03/11/2019 19:02:12    2247474

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Bit dramatic there with the hoping and praying. Especially when you dismissed Cloughsnaneely's plight which was plain to see. A serious injury can happen anytime it is more fatigue the issue. Yes I read what the doctor said and completely agree the fixture should be moved. But there is little chance of this happening given the recent history of both the Donegal CC and the Ulster Council. Gunman was absolutely correct in that there should have been extra time the first day and winner whatever way it concludes the second day. However while I have empathy for the players the club refused the option of a winner by any means if it came to it last Wednesday."
Tbf he's got a point. The risk of a player doing his ACL and other serious injuries is much higher when he is tired because the nerve pathways between the brain and body slow down leaving players more exposed to injury.

Lk22 (Donegal) - Posts: 4 - 03/11/2019 19:39:29    2247488

Link

Replying To Lk22:  "Tbf he's got a point. The risk of a player doing his ACL and other serious injuries is much higher when he is tired because the nerve pathways between the brain and body slow down leaving players more exposed to injury."
But also dismissed Cloughaneely's schedule. If you actually read what I said I agreed that the schedule was unfair. My points were in relation to the Donegal CC and the Ulster Council and their recent history in such matters. Plus the ammunition they had in that NC turned down the opportunity to finish it last Wednesday one way or another if it came to it.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2184 - 03/11/2019 20:57:52    2247516

Link

What a great weekend for Donegal club football, maith sibh!

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 959 - 04/11/2019 11:45:40    2247621

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "But also dismissed Cloughaneely's schedule. If you actually read what I said I agreed that the schedule was unfair. My points were in relation to the Donegal CC and the Ulster Council and their recent history in such matters. Plus the ammunition they had in that NC turned down the opportunity to finish it last Wednesday one way or another if it came to it."
They did finish it last wed,and they didn't need extra time either And I have nothing against Cloughaneely what-so-ever or any Donegal team the very best of luck to them all ,three Donegal teams have done us proud Sunday ,what gets me is this treatment we get from our County board and the Ulster Council and this is not the first instance ,remember County semi final a few years ago ,an illegal player was allowed on and scored a winning point,and when we r supposed to get neutral venues for County semi finals and indeed finals our opponents only have to fall out of bed ,while we have to travel miles ,especially for our underage teams ,just so unfair .

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 151 - 04/11/2019 12:41:30    2247639

Link

Replying To gaanervous:  "They did finish it last wed,and they didn't need extra time either And I have nothing against Cloughaneely what-so-ever or any Donegal team the very best of luck to them all ,three Donegal teams have done us proud Sunday ,what gets me is this treatment we get from our County board and the Ulster Council and this is not the first instance ,remember County semi final a few years ago ,an illegal player was allowed on and scored a winning point,and when we r supposed to get neutral venues for County semi finals and indeed finals our opponents only have to fall out of bed ,while we have to travel miles ,especially for our underage teams ,just so unfair ."
I cannot comment on the underage fixtures, venues and the legality of players. However essentially my points were about the county board and the Ulster Council. Of course the fixtures should be rescheduled with common sense in mind but they don't do common sense which was my main point using Cloughaneely as an example. Gunman was correct by pointing out extra time should have been played the first day which would have given the option to finish it whatever way during the replay. Anyways NC got the job done so hopefully they can give Ulster a good rattle where they will have my full support. Possibly in person too depending where semi final is played.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2184 - 04/11/2019 16:53:49    2247707

Link

Yeah, thankfully no harm done but lots of lessons learned for the future. Generally been a great couple of years of senior fixture setting since the new regime came in but they'd do well to follow Gunman's suggestion in future.

Goitse (Donegal) - Posts: 43 - 04/11/2019 17:03:58    2247711

Link

Well done to the 3 Donegal teams progressing. Great to see.

Any idea where the Naomh Conaill and Clontibrit game will be played?

FootballGuy (Donegal) - Posts: 91 - 04/11/2019 17:24:55    2247715

Link

Replying To FootballGuy:  "Well done to the 3 Donegal teams progressing. Great to see.

Any idea where the Naomh Conaill and Clontibrit game will be played?"
Hi Football Guy. Hopefully Omagh. Last year's 2 semis were a double header in Omagh.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 414 - 04/11/2019 21:01:49    2247764

Link

Agree. It'll probably be Omagh but could be Brewster too. Well done to the lads yesterday, out on their feet towards the end but still kept going. The next 2 weeks will be a welcome break.

tidytownman (Donegal) - Posts: 223 - 04/11/2019 21:15:04    2247767

Link

Well done to Naomh Chonail, that was a great result considering the short turnaround. Also well done to Buncrana and St Nauls in progressing. Its good see Donegal clubs doing well in the past few years.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1561 - 04/11/2019 22:53:12    2247801

Link

Replying To tidytownman:  "Agree. It'll probably be Omagh but could be Brewster too. Well done to the lads yesterday, out on their feet towards the end but still kept going. The next 2 weeks will be a welcome break."
Yes watched the highlights there and very obvious the energy levels were running on empty towards the end. Interesting that a third quarter push was what won it. Plus the excellent defensive structure and tenacity not just yesterday but in the titanic games with Gweedore.......those traits bring a certain famous son of Glenties to mind that is for sure. Suppose Cavan could be a runner for a venue too. I imagine the game will be covered either live or deferred given the protagonists involved esp McManus on the other side. Nobody will fancy playing this Glentie's side. Defensively so strong, very physical esp around the middle with plenty of smart ball players. Plus they are very confident in possession. Playing Gweedore and managing MacNialais will be good prep for McManus even if they different players. Expecting another tight tussle with hopefully NC coming out the right side. Be very exciting to have another Donegal side in an Ulster final and potentially beyond. My one fear is maybe a lack of x factor in the attacking third but maybe they have it in McGettigan if he changes his role from the Gweedore games.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2184 - 04/11/2019 23:35:34    2247809

Link

Replying To AudiMan:  "Hi Football Guy. Hopefully Omagh. Last year's 2 semis were a double header in Omagh."
Buncrana are also playing a Monaghan club in the Ulster Junior final

Should put both games on as double header in Omagh.

Al_Maguire (Donegal) - Posts: 188 - 05/11/2019 09:27:11    2247826

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Yes watched the highlights there and very obvious the energy levels were running on empty towards the end. Interesting that a third quarter push was what won it. Plus the excellent defensive structure and tenacity not just yesterday but in the titanic games with Gweedore.......those traits bring a certain famous son of Glenties to mind that is for sure. Suppose Cavan could be a runner for a venue too. I imagine the game will be covered either live or deferred given the protagonists involved esp McManus on the other side. Nobody will fancy playing this Glentie's side. Defensively so strong, very physical esp around the middle with plenty of smart ball players. Plus they are very confident in possession. Playing Gweedore and managing MacNialais will be good prep for McManus even if they different players. Expecting another tight tussle with hopefully NC coming out the right side. Be very exciting to have another Donegal side in an Ulster final and potentially beyond. My one fear is maybe a lack of x factor in the attacking third but maybe they have it in McGettigan if he changes his role from the Gweedore games."
Would agree the defence has been exceptional all year. Think we've only conceeded 1 goal all year in the championship. Some of the Clontibret men including McManus standing behind me at the game on Sunday. Don't think they would have picked up a lot though. McGettigan has been well marshalled all championship but you're right, he can be a game changer.

tidytownman (Donegal) - Posts: 223 - 05/11/2019 20:41:47    2247982

Link

Replying To tidytownman:  "Would agree the defence has been exceptional all year. Think we've only conceeded 1 goal all year in the championship. Some of the Clontibret men including McManus standing behind me at the game on Sunday. Don't think they would have picked up a lot though. McGettigan has been well marshalled all championship but you're right, he can be a game changer."
From what I have seen of McGettigan in the championship (which is limited to the Gweedore games) he has been stationed on the half forward line rather than inside. As for the Clontibret lads I am sure they will know they are in for a very tough game in the semi final.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2184 - 05/11/2019 21:22:47    2247999

Link

Replying To AudiMan:  "Hi Football Guy. Hopefully Omagh. Last year's 2 semis were a double header in Omagh."
Thanks AudiMan, you were right. Great to be able to see 2 of the Donegal teams play on same day.

FootballGuy (Donegal) - Posts: 91 - 06/11/2019 09:26:03    2248051

Link

Hearing gweedore held a meeting about the insults that came from glenties players during the games. I understand there does be a bit of slagging in games but from what I heard what was said was unacceptable! Let's say one was about something that happened in England recently with a lorry and one of gweedores players should of been there as well! Also telling a player his kids aren't his etc. Also golf balls throwing onto the pitch by the glenties supporters behind the goals putting off the gweedore goalkeeper! The more I write the more I hope it's not true!

Anyway glenties should be good odds to win Ulster and hopefully they can do it!

Inside92 (Donegal) - Posts: 8 - 07/11/2019 15:39:52    2248339

Link

Replying To Inside92:  "Hearing gweedore held a meeting about the insults that came from glenties players during the games. I understand there does be a bit of slagging in games but from what I heard what was said was unacceptable! Let's say one was about something that happened in England recently with a lorry and one of gweedores players should of been there as well! Also telling a player his kids aren't his etc. Also golf balls throwing onto the pitch by the glenties supporters behind the goals putting off the gweedore goalkeeper! The more I write the more I hope it's not true!

Anyway glenties should be good odds to win Ulster and hopefully they can do it!"
If there were golf balls thrown on to the field behind the goals surely the umpires would have picked it up ,such nonsense ,who came up with that .

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 151 - 07/11/2019 16:50:00    2248361

Link