Donegal Forum

Donegal Club Championship,S

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Does anybody know when the club championship,s r due to start ,now that Donegal r no longer involved in the County scene ,the sooner the better and not be waiting till the wet and windy and probably Frost and snow .

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 151 - 05/08/2019 16:55:00    2221218

Link

Replying To gaanervous:  "Does anybody know when the club championship,s r due to start ,now that Donegal r no longer involved in the County scene ,the sooner the better and not be waiting till the wet and windy and probably Frost and snow ."
I'm pretty sure that the leagues will finish out on August, the fixtures are already laid out for these matches. Group stages will take place in September and knock outs stages in October with final at the end of October. They will play final two weeks in advance of ulster club quarter final. I think it worked ok last year.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 223 - 05/08/2019 17:35:08    2221232

Link

They're finishing the leagues first, and the revised remaining fixtures are on the county site, running until the 31st. Championship after.

Draw here, as per Highland.

Goitse (Donegal) - Posts: 42 - 05/08/2019 18:03:24    2221240

Link

Replying To gaanervous:  "Does anybody know when the club championship,s r due to start ,now that Donegal r no longer involved in the County scene ,the sooner the better and not be waiting till the wet and windy and probably Frost and snow ."
Hi gaanervous:. Think it's the weekend of 7/8th September. How do you see it going? Kilcar the team to beat, plenty talent and just after winning league. Eunans seem to be hitting form this past few weeks and can never be ruled out. Gweedore might struggle to reach the dizzy heights of last year, especially with Mc Gee and Gillespie struggling to get back into it and some others who's commitment/desire/whatever could be questioned. Naomh Conaill going more offensive but could take them a year to bed in a new system. Any dark horses out there, don't see any yet.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 414 - 05/08/2019 18:19:10    2221245

Link

Replying To AudiMan:  "Hi gaanervous:. Think it's the weekend of 7/8th September. How do you see it going? Kilcar the team to beat, plenty talent and just after winning league. Eunans seem to be hitting form this past few weeks and can never be ruled out. Gweedore might struggle to reach the dizzy heights of last year, especially with Mc Gee and Gillespie struggling to get back into it and some others who's commitment/desire/whatever could be questioned. Naomh Conaill going more offensive but could take them a year to bed in a new system. Any dark horses out there, don't see any yet."
We're very lucky to have such good radio coverage of games in Donegal (Highland, RnaG, Ocean) and coverage across multiple papers both in print and online, however for the emigrants among it's very easy to be jealous of the coverage that several county boards in Ulster provide of their games. Armagh, Down, Derry, Tyrone & Fermanagh have all given streaming a go, largely successfully, as has the Ulster Council for some provincial hurling rounds. Some paid, some free. I wonder will it ever be taken up in Donegal? Might be reasons that I'm not aware of why it hasn't be tried in fairness.

Goitse (Donegal) - Posts: 42 - 05/08/2019 23:21:22    2221385

Link

Kilcar would look best placed at this point in time. I think they have unfinished business in so far as Ulster is concerned. They were unlucky two years ago against Slaughtneill. Last year they were missing Ryan and Paddy and will have looked on enviously at what the Gaoth Dobhair men achieved. A lot of football to be played before thoughts can tunr to Ulster however.

If Gaoth Dobhair have everyone they'll still be a formidable nut to crack. I get the impression they've been tipping along in the league just, with the eye on the bigger prize in the Autumn.

Of the remaining teams I don't really see a viable contender. Eunans are a bit too young and Glenties are still a bit away.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 6572 - 06/08/2019 12:00:33    2221525

Link

I think it will be too much for Gaoth Dobhair this year unless MacNiallis comes back. With McGee seemingly struggling with niggly injuries it's a lot to ask them to repeat. Gillespie should be firing though you would think, he was in and around the Donegal panel for the summer and word was he was very close to full fitness. That's a big boost for them.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 959 - 06/08/2019 12:19:50    2221547

Link

Interestingly I asked Paddy Power for a price on Kilcar to win Ulster and they wouldn't give me one. Not just yet anyway!

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 6572 - 06/08/2019 14:30:40    2221614

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Interestingly I asked Paddy Power for a price on Kilcar to win Ulster and they wouldn't give me one. Not just yet anyway!"
I have backed them at 6/4. They have been 6/4 all year. What clowns are you dealing with?

IamDonegal (Donegal) - Posts: 134 - 06/08/2019 15:32:11    2221662

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Interestingly I asked Paddy Power for a price on Kilcar to win Ulster and they wouldn't give me one. Not just yet anyway!"
My apologies lockjaw.

I thought you meant Donegal. Hand up.

Please forgive me. I'm still very ratty after Saturday lol

IamDonegal (Donegal) - Posts: 134 - 06/08/2019 15:33:34    2221663

Link

Scratch that. They just got back to me with a price of 15/2.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 6572 - 06/08/2019 15:33:55    2221664

Link

Replying To IamDonegal:  "My apologies lockjaw.

I thought you meant Donegal. Hand up.

Please forgive me. I'm still very ratty after Saturday lol"
No worries. I had a work colleague from Mayo approach me in the queue in the canteen at lunch time. I told him to f*** off before he'd even opened his mouth! Lol

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 6572 - 06/08/2019 16:32:28    2221693

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "No worries. I had a work colleague from Mayo approach me in the queue in the canteen at lunch time. I told him to f*** off before he'd even opened his mouth! Lol"
Ha brilliant. It takes a few weeks.

I know there are worse things in life but relatively speaking I am physically I'll after our result.

IamDonegal (Donegal) - Posts: 134 - 06/08/2019 18:10:16    2221777

Link

Big congrats to Kilcar on winning the league. Its a great achievement considering they were without Ryan, Paddy and Eoin.

I think its a great credit to all the clubs who had players on the county panel that they just got on with playing their games and no complaining. It cant be easy for the likes of Kilcar, Eunans, Gweedore and Glenties lining out without their county players.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1561 - 06/08/2019 20:45:09    2221876

Link

In my opinion kilcar have to be the favorites serious outfit,and will rattle ulster if not more
Intermediate championship is very difficult one to call

longball33 (Donegal) - Posts: 23 - 06/08/2019 20:45:43    2221877

Link

My only concern for Kilcar would be that as the championship progresses into Autumn and the pitches get heavier that a more physical team could grind out a win against them. But if all available to them they'll take some stopping.

Gaoth Dobhair will have something to say about that though. Neil McGee will have a few weeks to recover and Gillespie might not be far away either.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 6572 - 07/08/2019 10:38:41    2222090

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "My only concern for Kilcar would be that as the championship progresses into Autumn and the pitches get heavier that a more physical team could grind out a win against them. But if all available to them they'll take some stopping.

Gaoth Dobhair will have something to say about that though. Neil McGee will have a few weeks to recover and Gillespie might not be far away either."
Good point against glenswilly in the county final prime example that's their only downfall bad conditions don't suit them

longball33 (Donegal) - Posts: 23 - 07/08/2019 11:25:09    2222111

Link

Ros man involved with a few teams in Dub. Understand Hugh McFadden is moving to a Dublin club next year. Rumors he had a falling out with Killybegs and isn't playing in their crunch league game this weekend against Dungloe. I know when he was in college up here he trained with Na Fianna. But Lucan Sarsfields has been an attraction for a few Doengal club players in the last couple of years.

oranforsam89 (Roscommon) - Posts: 12 - 07/08/2019 19:12:59    2222337

Link

Replying To oranforsam89:  "Ros man involved with a few teams in Dub. Understand Hugh McFadden is moving to a Dublin club next year. Rumors he had a falling out with Killybegs and isn't playing in their crunch league game this weekend against Dungloe. I know when he was in college up here he trained with Na Fianna. But Lucan Sarsfields has been an attraction for a few Doengal club players in the last couple of years."
Where you hear this?

Hes a massive Killybegs man ?

Never misses a training, as in he is there.

Is he moving teaching jobs too?

Sounds like absolute rubbish to me

IamDonegal (Donegal) - Posts: 134 - 08/08/2019 08:06:38    2222551

Link

Replying To oranforsam89:  "Ros man involved with a few teams in Dub. Understand Hugh McFadden is moving to a Dublin club next year. Rumors he had a falling out with Killybegs and isn't playing in their crunch league game this weekend against Dungloe. I know when he was in college up here he trained with Na Fianna. But Lucan Sarsfields has been an attraction for a few Doengal club players in the last couple of years."
Cannot see that happening unless he is moving to work in Dublin.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 6572 - 08/08/2019 09:39:49    2222569

Link