Mayo Forum

Mayo V Dublin

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Lots well earned praise for a warrior team. Not enough questioning of management decisions and the attitude of the players group over the last decade.This is a group of players who publicly got rid of Holmes and Connolly.Furtively and slyly saw Rochford out.Gave hom no support when he wanted to stay on. Sought out James to return. Question.What thinking inspired the selection of Dermot O C,Vaughan,and Ruane last Saturday? A totally farcical decision frankly. The halo on Hennelleys head for the "trajectory" of his kick out was burned to ashes last Saturday.Who coaches the keeper. By the same token the minor keeper was a shambles on Saturday. Poor decision making on and off the pitch has also been part and parcel of the set up. The so called playing on the edge has led to costly dismissals and even more costly fees. The players as a group over the years were ruthlessly decisive in their choice of management. Sadly that ruthless decisiveness didn't unfold in big games. Discipline has been very poor too often.

Brinsley Swartz (Mayo) - Posts: 2221 - 12/08/2019 23:31:50    2224965

Link

People were brainwashed into believing Clarke was injured, there was feck all wrong with him in the warm up before the game, the breaffy mob wanted their man in goals instead and again made a mess of things, it is the managers job to manage and the players job to play. If I were Clarke I'd retire and let them sort out their mess, as for our forwards 3 inexperienced players 1 of those just back from a long injury, another player just back from long injury and as for the remaining 2 1 of them his knees are banjaxed the other is past his best, we were set up to hold out as ling as we could until Andy Moran and McLoughlin came on to close out the game, a stupid decision especially when you had the likes of Regan, Loftus etc on the bench, McLoughlin should have started when we knew Doherty was out, time to get more younger players a chance.
Again I'll ask where are our 2013 minor team and our 2016 U21 team, they would be in their mid 20s by now and should be in the panel and starting games, without youth we have nothing

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1387 - 13/08/2019 17:34:41    2225203

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "People were brainwashed into believing Clarke was injured, there was feck all wrong with him in the warm up before the game, the breaffy mob wanted their man in goals instead and again made a mess of things, it is the managers job to manage and the players job to play. If I were Clarke I'd retire and let them sort out their mess, as for our forwards 3 inexperienced players 1 of those just back from a long injury, another player just back from long injury and as for the remaining 2 1 of them his knees are banjaxed the other is past his best, we were set up to hold out as ling as we could until Andy Moran and McLoughlin came on to close out the game, a stupid decision especially when you had the likes of Regan, Loftus etc on the bench, McLoughlin should have started when we knew Doherty was out, time to get more younger players a chance.
Again I'll ask where are our 2013 minor team and our 2016 U21 team, they would be in their mid 20s by now and should be in the panel and starting games, without youth we have nothing"
Clarke has been treated scandalously IMO, messed about by a succession of management teams. He is the GOAT in terms of Mayo goalies.

Word on the 2013 side is that they were overtrained and few have played senior as a result. In terms of 2016, D O'Connor, Harrison, Conor Loftus, Ruane have come through, a few more on the development panel such as Akram.

The youth question as far as I know is being addressed by plans for the Mayo Academy, will probably take several years to come to fruition though.

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 1676 - 13/08/2019 17:58:03    2225220

Link

I agree with some previous posters the goalie situ needs to be sorted, we see how important gaining possession is from your own kick outs it gives you such a foothold in the game. Patton for Donegal has been class cluxton and comeford both class and Morgan for Tyrone. There has to be a new young keeper in mayo to develop. No doubt there will be a few retirements but I hope not to many, for me Colm Boyle is top class yes he may not have the legs he once had but so experienced and plays the sweeper role as good as anyone. Keegan, Durcan, A O Shea and COC still have a few years in them and you need the blend of youth and experience so there is fresh blood needed. It amazes me that there is no top class young forwards breaking through but hopefully there will be next year. The Dubs still have a place for cluxton, brogan, MD Mcauley and they are getting on in years too but you need the mix.
Mayo must win connaught next year because the road taken this year is too much for any team, 7 games in 8 weeks is disgraceful and would have had some impact last weekend. They have been very close to beating this Dublin team a few times and I do think they can Win an all ireland but the dubs need to be beaten first and I think Kerry might just do it this year.
On the bright side Mayo give so much to the GAA and the neutral supporter and we need a team like them otherwise it would be dead on its feet, also you could be from leitrim like me, the spice girls have played more in croke park this year than we have the last 10 years sad but true. Mayo 4 Sam 2020

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 284 - 14/08/2019 00:17:22    2225359

Link

Replying To Brinsley Swartz:  "They have been brave and skillfull. Veterans should now retire quietly over the winter without having to be told. Heads held high with pride and dignity.
Top class goalkeeping coach needed in Mayo. Minor and senior keepers less than assured. Going forward no more players outing managements please. In the words of Kenneth Wolstenholme "the think it's all over it is now"."
what does the quote even mean? I have more degrees than a thermometer and I don't get it?

maroondiesel (Mayo) - Posts: 956 - 14/08/2019 13:54:08    2225581

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "People were brainwashed into believing Clarke was injured, there was feck all wrong with him in the warm up before the game, the breaffy mob wanted their man in goals instead and again made a mess of things, it is the managers job to manage and the players job to play. If I were Clarke I'd retire and let them sort out their mess, as for our forwards 3 inexperienced players 1 of those just back from a long injury, another player just back from long injury and as for the remaining 2 1 of them his knees are banjaxed the other is past his best, we were set up to hold out as ling as we could until Andy Moran and McLoughlin came on to close out the game, a stupid decision especially when you had the likes of Regan, Loftus etc on the bench, McLoughlin should have started when we knew Doherty was out, time to get more younger players a chance.
Again I'll ask where are our 2013 minor team and our 2016 U21 team, they would be in their mid 20s by now and should be in the panel and starting games, without youth we have nothing"
riverboys
Again I'll ask where are our 2013 minor team and our 2016 U21 team, they would be in their mid 20s by now and should be in the panel and starting games, without youth we have nothing.

I'd imagine a good few aren't good enough, more of them don't want to be involved and a fair few like the ould beer and the women, plus the craic, a few emigrated as well. Of the remainder? They've been involved at various stages.
Love your huge insight into the goings on in the Mayo team squad. We lost against Dublin by 10 points, most of the teams in Ireland would suffer the same result, it's where we are with what we have. But good to know you're on top of things. You're some man for wan man.

davittsman (Mayo) - Posts: 321 - 14/08/2019 14:19:43    2225600

Link

Aye but we never had a panel that ever played from the same hymn sheet, from the divisional battles to the north mayo issue in 96 and more issues in the late 90s and early 2000s and the players idea to ignore Mickey Moran and warm up in front of the hill in 2006 then the military coup in 2015 by the midlanders and their plan in 2016 to change goalie for the replay. This year management picked a poor forward line, they weren't planning to win with this, it was to contain and grind it down until sub's come on to hopefully if still in with a shout to win but you won't hear this from the players, they won't be calling for heads to roll. They got the manager they wanted when the coup happened in 2015 and the goalie they wanted in 2016 and both fd up

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1387 - 14/08/2019 16:31:22    2225691

Link

Replying To Gleebo:  "Clarke has been treated scandalously IMO, messed about by a succession of management teams. He is the GOAT in terms of Mayo goalies.

Word on the 2013 side is that they were overtrained and few have played senior as a result. In terms of 2016, D O'Connor, Harrison, Conor Loftus, Ruane have come through, a few more on the development panel such as Akram.

The youth question as far as I know is being addressed by plans for the Mayo Academy, will probably take several years to come to fruition though."
The Harrison on 2016 panel was Kieran, the younger brother of Brendan.

ponga (Mayo) - Posts: 477 - 14/08/2019 19:27:52    2225775

Link

Replying To maroondiesel:  "what does the quote even mean? I have more degrees than a thermometer and I don't get it?"
maroondiesel ....Kenneth Wolsteholme commentating on last seconds of World Cup Final 1966. Geoff Hurst runs through to score Englands 4th and decisive goal........."there are people on the pitch,they think it's all over,it is now"

Brinsley Swartz (Mayo) - Posts: 2221 - 17/08/2019 21:17:48    2226844

Link

Replying To maroondiesel:  "what does the quote even mean? I have more degrees than a thermometer and I don't get it?"
link

Fair play Maroon, you must be young to have those degrees and not heard of this commentary. It was before my time too but only by a couple of years!

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 5498 - 19/08/2019 18:55:47    2227649

Link

Replying To Brinsley Swartz:  "maroondiesel ....Kenneth Wolsteholme commentating on last seconds of World Cup Final 1966. Geoff Hurst runs through to score Englands 4th and decisive goal........."there are people on the pitch,they think it's all over,it is now""
Thank you lads, I had no idea I'm just a G ah ah man from the bogs of Galway, looking forward to more battles in the new year, that's what keeps us going.

maroondiesel (Mayo) - Posts: 956 - 20/08/2019 13:15:04    2227869

Link