Louth Forum

Young Lads Playing In The Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Seems a lot of teams throughout all grades are really investing in their youth, with some very exciting talents on show surely this has to be taken as a positive for the future?

Joey87 (Louth) - Posts: 41 - 29/07/2019 11:09:43    2218050

Link

some great young talent on display
john gallagher for the mitchels, dan corcoran for gers, garland brothers from mochtas, ciaran mcmahon for mochtas, conor morgan and callo from jocks, sean marry from brides, shane byrne of roche, alan connor blues, daire nally blues to name but a few.

More young guns we see competing at the highest level of club football in louth, the more this will benefit the louth team in years to come. Great to see it.

bobby22 (Louth) - Posts: 14 - 29/07/2019 11:33:23    2218073

Link

Replying To bobby22:  "some great young talent on display
john gallagher for the mitchels, dan corcoran for gers, garland brothers from mochtas, ciaran mcmahon for mochtas, conor morgan and callo from jocks, sean marry from brides, shane byrne of roche, alan connor blues, daire nally blues to name but a few.

More young guns we see competing at the highest level of club football in louth, the more this will benefit the louth team in years to come. Great to see it."
That's 11 lads already. Good start. Great to see positive stuff.
St.Pats started 9 lads v SOM who never played in a senior final . Pats were in 8 of the last 16. Paddy and Dessie played in all and are still going strong. Paddy gave another masterclass on Saturday night despite all the abuse. Refs seem to believe he is really made of iron.

19616609 (Louth) - Posts: 1362 - 29/07/2019 12:50:17    2218144

Link

Replying To 19616609:  "That's 11 lads already. Good start. Great to see positive stuff.
St.Pats started 9 lads v SOM who never played in a senior final . Pats were in 8 of the last 16. Paddy and Dessie played in all and are still going strong. Paddy gave another masterclass on Saturday night despite all the abuse. Refs seem to believe he is really made of iron."
I'm going to say Pats were fully deserved of their win, good start and good finish, omahonys were chasing the whole time. Wouldn't call it a master class just because he is Paddy Keenan, didnt score from play but he is still the drive of the team, take him out and they would be struggling.
But dunno what your talking about regards refs, Pats are always on the edge with their tackling, constant pulling and dragging that went unpunished.

PointRoad (Louth) - Posts: 91 - 29/07/2019 20:15:37    2218437

Link

Replying To PointRoad:  "I'm going to say Pats were fully deserved of their win, good start and good finish, omahonys were chasing the whole time. Wouldn't call it a master class just because he is Paddy Keenan, didnt score from play but he is still the drive of the team, take him out and they would be struggling.
But dunno what your talking about regards refs, Pats are always on the edge with their tackling, constant pulling and dragging that went unpunished."
This is spot with regards the Pats. Whilst PK gets a lot of special attention they can have no complaints (he can) as they are notorious for targeting players and dishing it out.

Young players who have impressed, Alan Connor has been the Blues' best player so far. I'm sure Wayne knows him well so would be no surprise to see him in the county fold next season. Conor Morgan would be in a similar position to Alan.

Itsme (Louth) - Posts: 398 - 29/07/2019 20:48:34    2218465

Link

Paddy Keenan still the main man for the Pats going by Saturday evening. He might get more attention as does most county players but he dishes it out too. He was very lucky not to receive his marching orders on Saturday evening. Then again what ref is gonna line Saint Paddy from the Pats, the poor ref might be right but he might not get another match for about 2 years. Sad but that's the truth in this county.

Hoolahoop (Louth) - Posts: 39 - 30/07/2019 21:18:46    2218888

Link

This post started off about young lads playing and now moved to old lads still playing. I agree fully, the amount of young players in the Championship is great to see. It's only when you study the team sheets in the paper you realise how many there is.
This is a credit to the clubs. What I noticed most is the amount of players playing for their clubs who are still playing minor Football. This can only bode well for the future. It seems the clubs are developing them well.
Some probably have no interest in playing for the County

Here is some of the players I listed that are still playing minor

Blues: Daire Nally
Dreadnots: Jay Hughes, Conor Clarke
Marys: Tom Jackson and Johnny Commins
Mochtas: Craig and Andy Lennon
St Pat's: Marty McEneaney
Cooley: Joe Mee
Kevins: Tj Doheny and Finbar Lynch
Mattock; Cathal Fleming and Ben Quaile
Hunterstown; Dean Burns and E Woodlock
Roche: Glen Stewart
Stabannon: Bobby Butterly
St Bride; Neil Thornton
St Josephs: Gabriel Bell

If you know of any more please list them but for now that's 19 players playing adult Championship football and still playing minor.
Great to see

Northlouth (Louth) - Posts: 93 - 31/07/2019 23:49:39    2219294

Link

Replying To Hoolahoop:  "Paddy Keenan still the main man for the Pats going by Saturday evening. He might get more attention as does most county players but he dishes it out too. He was very lucky not to receive his marching orders on Saturday evening. Then again what ref is gonna line Saint Paddy from the Pats, the poor ref might be right but he might not get another match for about 2 years. Sad but that's the truth in this county."
Oh someone has sour grapes hardluck

Anlubuchaill (Louth) - Posts: 77 - 01/08/2019 08:37:40    2219316

Link

Replying To Northlouth:  "This post started off about young lads playing and now moved to old lads still playing. I agree fully, the amount of young players in the Championship is great to see. It's only when you study the team sheets in the paper you realise how many there is.
This is a credit to the clubs. What I noticed most is the amount of players playing for their clubs who are still playing minor Football. This can only bode well for the future. It seems the clubs are developing them well.
Some probably have no interest in playing for the County

Here is some of the players I listed that are still playing minor

Blues: Daire Nally
Dreadnots: Jay Hughes, Conor Clarke
Marys: Tom Jackson and Johnny Commins
Mochtas: Craig and Andy Lennon
St Pat's: Marty McEneaney
Cooley: Joe Mee
Kevins: Tj Doheny and Finbar Lynch
Mattock; Cathal Fleming and Ben Quaile
Hunterstown; Dean Burns and E Woodlock
Roche: Glen Stewart
Stabannon: Bobby Butterly
St Bride; Neil Thornton
St Josephs: Gabriel Bell

If you know of any more please list them but for now that's 19 players playing adult Championship football and still playing minor.
Great to see"
In fairness to all the above it must ne noted its harder to break through on teams like the Mary's , jocks and the blues.

Chubby (Louth) - Posts: 69 - 01/08/2019 11:50:18    2219385

Link

Replying To Chubby:  "In fairness to all the above it must ne noted its harder to break through on teams like the Mary's , jocks and the blues."
Not sure if I agree with that as if you are good enough you will break into the team no matter what club your with.

Northlouth (Louth) - Posts: 93 - 01/08/2019 12:10:43    2219391

Link

Replying To Hoolahoop:  "Paddy Keenan still the main man for the Pats going by Saturday evening. He might get more attention as does most county players but he dishes it out too. He was very lucky not to receive his marching orders on Saturday evening. Then again what ref is gonna line Saint Paddy from the Pats, the poor ref might be right but he might not get another match for about 2 years. Sad but that's the truth in this county."
Was Paddy Keenan ever send off for the Pats or Louth?

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12110 - 01/08/2019 12:57:30    2219411

Link

Replying To Northlouth:  "Not sure if I agree with that as if you are good enough you will break into the team no matter what club your with."
Well that doesn't make sense, put it this way or would be easier for an 18 year old to break into say Roche, or the Westerns than break into a team playing senior championship.

PointRoad (Louth) - Posts: 91 - 01/08/2019 13:00:20    2219413

Link

Two 18 year old lads with us that played all year league and championship, must be said injuries to lads probably paved their way but they did very well all year, a joy to watch Terence Kelly and Kian mcEvoy

PointRoad (Louth) - Posts: 91 - 01/08/2019 13:02:21    2219415

Link

Replying To PointRoad:  "Well that doesn't make sense, put it this way or would be easier for an 18 year old to break into say Roche, or the Westerns than break into a team playing senior championship."
I say you would break into the O Connells team no probs now. They are missing a load of players.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12110 - 01/08/2019 13:16:16    2219419

Link

Never mind St Paddy there is a St Andy also and he gets away with everything but you touch him and your done, refs treat him like royalty

Redzer_Brown (Louth) - Posts: 148 - 01/08/2019 14:34:04    2219455

Link

Replying To OLLIE:  "Was Paddy Keenan ever send off for the Pats or Louth?"
Yes Ollie. He was sent off against Sligo in Dowdallshill in a league game

Greengrass (Louth) - Posts: 5004 - 01/08/2019 17:33:28    2219530

Link

Replying To Greengrass:  "Yes Ollie. He was sent off against Sligo in Dowdallshill in a league game"
Was that around 2008? Louth scored two quick goals and won by a point I think. Judgie scored one of the goals.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12110 - 01/08/2019 19:14:22    2219545

Link

Replying To Redzer_Brown:  "Never mind St Paddy there is a St Andy also and he gets away with everything but you touch him and your done, refs treat him like royalty"
That's a bitter statement. Andy has left the field with serious injuries multiple times due to being targeted, I highly doubt anyone left the field as a result of Andy as I've never seen that in him.

Itsme (Louth) - Posts: 398 - 01/08/2019 21:55:50    2219584

Link

Replying To PointRoad:  "Two 18 year old lads with us that played all year league and championship, must be said injuries to lads probably paved their way but they did very well all year, a joy to watch Terence Kelly and Kian mcEvoy"
So two young lads did break into your team. Talking a bit gibberish then if you said it was easier to break in Roche or westerns
Look at the list and a lot of these young lads broke into Div 1 and 2 teams and I would say there is many more

Northlouth (Louth) - Posts: 93 - 02/08/2019 07:19:39    2219633

Link

Replying To OLLIE:  "Was that around 2008? Louth scored two quick goals and won by a point I think. Judgie scored one of the goals."
That's the game Ollie . I think it was in 2007.

Greengrass (Louth) - Posts: 5004 - 02/08/2019 15:02:06    2219793

Link