Roscommon Forum

The Super 8S

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To endgame:  "We've sat down and watched Dublin v Kerry twice over the last 2 weeks.The best team in the country and the second best team in the country both by some distance.Can Roscommon get to that level and that standard over the next couple of years.? That is the question.Our players are young enough.Are they good enough and is the coaching/management structure good enough.? Can we be in Croke Park in late August and early September or is winning Connacht (just brilliant this year) as good as it gets for us."
I stood up and watched it in a bar. Dublin by some distance yes but Kerry i'm not so sure. 15 man Dublin would have beaten Kerry by at least 6 points the first day IMO and they could easily have won by a lot more yesterday but decided to play keep ball late on. Kerry's younger players still have a lot of learning to do and their old heads made some amount silly errors in both AI finals something the Dublin players don't do under Jim Gavin. Little difference between Tyrone,Donegal and Kerry at the moment. Dublin will win the next few All Ireland because their challengers simply aren't good not to beat them anytime soon.

For Roscommon the question should be if they get back there can they stay up in Div 1 long term and reach AI semi final, Monaghan have done this and if Roscommon manage that then maybe one can start thinking and talking about the next level.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2453 - 15/09/2019 21:38:03    2235822

Link

The 45 All Stars nominations are made public tomorrow morning. About 25 of them will go to Dublin and Kerry the remaining 20 spread among the rest. I think we'll get at least two Niall Daly and Conor Cox but i think we deserve 4 or 5. Ronan Daly,David Murray for example had very good league and championship.

Will be another year without an all star though for us, Looks like we'll have to reach AI semi final to earn one of those. Gone are the days when you won Connacht and it guaranteed at least one.

ispeakwisdom (Roscommon) - Posts: 2277 - 26/09/2019 21:11:01    2239480

Link

Replying To ispeakwisdom:  "The 45 All Stars nominations are made public tomorrow morning. About 25 of them will go to Dublin and Kerry the remaining 20 spread among the rest. I think we'll get at least two Niall Daly and Conor Cox but i think we deserve 4 or 5. Ronan Daly,David Murray for example had very good league and championship.

Will be another year without an all star though for us, Looks like we'll have to reach AI semi final to earn one of those. Gone are the days when you won Connacht and it guaranteed at least one."
All stars are a load of bol*** its a popularity contest. Lads on main forum saying the likes of Boyle and McHugh deserving one. Niall daly was better than both this year. Likewise Keoghan who had a good year when Meath beat offaly laois and clare ffs.

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 267 - 26/09/2019 22:09:20    2239496

Link

Replying To sourmilk93:  "All stars are a load of bol*** its a popularity contest. Lads on main forum saying the likes of Boyle and McHugh deserving one. Niall daly was better than both this year. Likewise Keoghan who had a good year when Meath beat offaly laois and clare ffs."
Yes its become more a popularity contest than awards for merit. Two for us as i expected. I thought we deserved a few more. Not sure how the likes of McGill,Moynagh,Menton,Malone got in there? well done to Conor and Niall.

ispeakwisdom (Roscommon) - Posts: 2277 - 27/09/2019 18:07:31    2239695

Link

Unfortunately we haven't a hope of getting an actual award but well done on the nominations for the two players involved. Durcan will most probably get one and that's primarily for getting to a semi and his overall consistently through our the year. Roscommon will need to reach semis on order to get all star awards in the future. But with plenty of young players before their peak it's well well possibly.

moros (Roscommon) - Posts: 928 - 27/09/2019 22:07:27    2239744

Link

Replying To moros:  "Unfortunately we haven't a hope of getting an actual award but well done on the nominations for the two players involved. Durcan will most probably get one and that's primarily for getting to a semi and his overall consistently through our the year. Roscommon will need to reach semis on order to get all star awards in the future. But with plenty of young players before their peak it's well well possibly."
Would you swap 1 or 2 Roscommon all stars with the Connacht title won back in June? A quarter finalists won All star last year and the same could happen this year as at least 1 of Donegal's 6 nominations will likely get 1 and the Keogan lad at Meath is well talked up by the media also.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2453 - 27/09/2019 22:34:10    2239748

Link

Take the provincial title any day.

moros (Roscommon) - Posts: 928 - 28/09/2019 11:33:34    2239805

Link

I'm looking forward to reading Kevin McStay's book 'The Pressure game'. I've heard him give a couple of interviews about the book.I think Kevin McStay can hold his head high as an ex Roscommon Manager.He managed us to a precious Connacht title in Salthill in 2017 .I think we hadn't beaten Galway in Salthill since 1978 and hadn't beaten them at all in the championship since 2001.I am struck however listening to Kevin McStay that he has a limited view of Roscommon's potential.He doesn't see us as a Mayo or Galway getting to an All-Ireland Final.He thinks we're doing well winning Connacht or Division 2 in the League and being the 7th or 8th best team in the country.I don't agree with him and I hope he's wrong.This is a talented group of Roscommon footballers who contested All -Ireland U 21 Finals in 2012 and 2014 against many of the Dublin players who have now done 5 in a row.Roscommon do need to get to another level next year but I think they're well capable of doing it.We haven't been there since 1980 but I think Roscommon can contest an All -Ireland senior Final over the next few years.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1167 - 03/11/2019 15:03:49    2247399

Link

Replying To endgame:  "I'm looking forward to reading Kevin McStay's book 'The Pressure game'. I've heard him give a couple of interviews about the book.I think Kevin McStay can hold his head high as an ex Roscommon Manager.He managed us to a precious Connacht title in Salthill in 2017 .I think we hadn't beaten Galway in Salthill since 1978 and hadn't beaten them at all in the championship since 2001.I am struck however listening to Kevin McStay that he has a limited view of Roscommon's potential.He doesn't see us as a Mayo or Galway getting to an All-Ireland Final.He thinks we're doing well winning Connacht or Division 2 in the League and being the 7th or 8th best team in the country.I don't agree with him and I hope he's wrong.This is a talented group of Roscommon footballers who contested All -Ireland U 21 Finals in 2012 and 2014 against many of the Dublin players who have now done 5 in a row.Roscommon do need to get to another level next year but I think they're well capable of doing it.We haven't been there since 1980 but I think Roscommon can contest an All -Ireland senior Final over the next few years."
I like your post and hope that we can get to a final some year but another glaring reality is the lack of a Centre of Excellence and lack of resources. After Leitrim GAA opening their Centre of Excellence in Annaghduff we are the only county without a Centre of Excellence. ( I maybe wrong in this) .

moros (Roscommon) - Posts: 928 - 13/11/2019 18:54:28    2249515

Link

Replying To moros:  "I like your post and hope that we can get to a final some year but another glaring reality is the lack of a Centre of Excellence and lack of resources. After Leitrim GAA opening their Centre of Excellence in Annaghduff we are the only county without a Centre of Excellence. ( I maybe wrong in this) ."
Connacht gaa centre is situated in Mayo but they don't have one of their own hence trying to build one in Castlebar. Dublin use Abbotstown and its mean to be a national training facility.

Cork still don't have one but it didn't stop them winning both the u17 and U20 All Irelands this year. Tyrone won more before they got one and Donegal are currently building one.

Yondu (UK) - Posts: 273 - 13/11/2019 21:13:04    2249540

Link

Do Roscommon use facilities in Athlone institute of technology.I think Anthony Cunningham works there.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1167 - 14/11/2019 13:12:00    2249600

Link

Replying To endgame:  "Do Roscommon use facilities in Athlone institute of technology.I think Anthony Cunningham works there."
Yes on occasion they use AIT,Kiltoom mostly and then Hyde during the summer months.
A lot of the preseason stuff is done in AIT as they have the running track indoor and outdoor, Gym and football fields all on campus.

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 267 - 14/11/2019 14:58:35    2249619

Link