Westmeath Forum

Club Championships - Football 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

A couple of huge games down for decision in Groups 1&2 of Senior Csp this weekend.Lomans/ Garrycastle very hard to call, I think loss to Shamrocks at weekend may have put doubt in their minds now,so I would opt for the Castle. A must win for Rosemount in group 2 and I think they will do it. At the bottom looks like Athlone and Tpass drop to 2 while the Bridge go in group 2

Baldy1 (Westmeath) - Posts: 51 - 14/08/2019 16:48:55    2225703

Link

Tubberclair go junior. Not long since they were senior.
St Mary's go intermediate

Mattyreilly (Westmeath) - Posts: 85 - 17/08/2019 21:40:25    2226854

Link

Comfortable win for Rosemount tonight. Shandonagh very disappointing on the night but can be very satisfied with their first season in senior with wins over Rochfortbridge, Killucan and Castledaly. Don't know what happened with the 'Bridge - I believe they had a lot of injuries.
All to play for in group 1 of the senior, amazing that all teams are still in contention for the knockout stages.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 614 - 17/08/2019 23:39:52    2226881

Link

Now that was an interesting weekend of games.
Senior quarters are:
Shamrocks v Kinnegad and the winners play Garycastle. Garycastle to beat Shamrocks in Semi.
The Downs V Rosemount and the winners to play St Lomans. St Lomans to beat Rosemount the Downs in the semi final.
I can see a Garycastle V Lomans final which will be very close.

Intermediate Quarter finals are:
Moate v Multy and the winners play Milltownpass in Semi final. Multy to beat Moate and Milltownpass to beat Multy.
Bunbrosna V Tang and the winners play Caulry in Semi Final. Tang to beat Bunbrosna and Tang to beat Caulry.
I can see a Milltownpass V Tang Final.

gti (Westmeath) - Posts: 174 - 19/08/2019 09:18:16    2227352

Link

Was in tubberclair last night, Caulry were very good they have a very very young team with I'd say kev McGuire the only player over 24 years of age but they look like serious contenders.
As in the Senior game Lomans just showed how good they can be when they turn it on. I'd say they only kicked about 4 wides in the whole game. They scored goals at crucial times just before half time and after half time and that was the difference. I can see these two teams meeting again in a serious county final.
On another note was anybody at the Miltown/Moate game? That result really surprised me as I had Miltown down as a serious contender.

Temple56 (Westmeath) - Posts: 10 - 19/08/2019 09:58:59    2227376

Link

The intermediate looked like it was Tang's for the taking with Miltown or Miltownpass their opponents in the final. However, someone forgot to tell Caulry and Moate both seemed to be heading for the second tier midway through the championship.
But I still Tang will have a big say in October. What's the betting on a Caulry and Moate final? Both clubs have invested a lot in their underage structure in recent years and it seems to be paying dividends.

I believe that in the Caulry V Maryland game the ref did not have to issue any cards. A credit to both teams.

Icehouse (Westmeath) - Posts: 31 - 19/08/2019 14:24:45    2227510

Link

Replying To Icehouse:  "The intermediate looked like it was Tang's for the taking with Miltown or Miltownpass their opponents in the final. However, someone forgot to tell Caulry and Moate both seemed to be heading for the second tier midway through the championship.
But I still Tang will have a big say in October. What's the betting on a Caulry and Moate final? Both clubs have invested a lot in their underage structure in recent years and it seems to be paying dividends.

I believe that in the Caulry V Maryland game the ref did not have to issue any cards. A credit to both teams."
Martin got a card early in the first half but didn't foul much after that, but as you say it certainly wasn't a dirty game. I agree with the other poster that Caulry seem to have quite a number of young players, keeping them together might be their biggest challenge.
Before the championship started I would have thought Tang were favourites, but it seems to be wide open now, although they're still definitely in the running. It'll be interesting to see what Bunbrosna and Multy can do coming from group 2.
In the senior Loman's looked very impressive, Cox was a livewire inside and Heslin kicked some lovely score from both left and right. Hard to tell who will win it out at the moment though, Shamrocks always seem to have their number. It's between these 2 and Garrycastle to win it out.
Rosemount looked good in the other group against Shandonagh, creating plenty of goal chances. Remains to be seen how they will fare against stronger opposition. I do think they will take The Downs in the quarter final though.

iarmhi_an_mhaith (Westmeath) - Posts: 205 - 19/08/2019 15:14:38    2227536

Link

The final round of championship games on Sunday was a great end to the intermediate championship group stages. All teams had a chance to qualify. I believe the championship is still wide open with any one of the teams capable of winning it. Does anyone know what happened Milltown Rathconrath? The word coming from them at the start of the championship was it was between them and Tang ?

Moorehead (Westmeath) - Posts: 94 - 20/08/2019 01:17:34    2227743

Link

Replying To Moorehead:  "The final round of championship games on Sunday was a great end to the intermediate championship group stages. All teams had a chance to qualify. I believe the championship is still wide open with any one of the teams capable of winning it. Does anyone know what happened Milltown Rathconrath? The word coming from them at the start of the championship was it was between them and Tang ?"
Ballynacargy flying junior although they had one minor blip against last night but what sort of team had they out, big shock with St. Paul's teaching semi final ahead of CFCW, ballycomoyle and joes came through the relatively easy group but you'd imagine the step up in 1/4 final standard of football will be to much, does anyone know anything about the senior 2nd teams?

westmeathgaa11 (Westmeath) - Posts: 19 - 20/08/2019 09:32:21    2227773

Link