Westmeath Forum

Club Championships - Football 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Bellewest:  "What's population got to do with it? Combining two clubs is fine as it gives lads games. Four clubs is ridiculous. They beat killucan in semi final, you'll suggest next that killucan have a huge population!!"
But you want to deprive lads of games These four clubs have serious population issues. Your problem is you can't hack small rural clubs getting together and actually challengeing the big urban clubs.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 696 - 16/10/2019 08:25:27    2243867

Link

Replying To abitpeevedoff:  "St Martins is not four clubs, Millmore Gaels is a club in itself, with its own committee and stands on its own. Maryland/Tang I believe is the same but I stand to be corrected on that. There were 5 amalgamation teams in the competition so most people would be under the understanding that this was done to allow lads Under 17 to complete.... but some seem to think it was done to 'just to win'. Kinnegad were good enough to win that game on Sunday but just could not push on and close it out."
My view on amalgamations is that they should be used for clubs struggling to field. They should be temporary. Should be in place until clubs involved are able to stand alone and field on their own. I know some may disagree and say well lads involved will play at a higher standard which in some regard is fair enough. But a lot of lads will stop playing because of amalgamations like these. I know of young lads who have chosen not to play for this amalgamation because they'd rather not play at all than to not be given a jersey and sit on the bench and be number 35/36 on the programme!

westmeathman99 (Westmeath) - Posts: 26 - 16/10/2019 10:42:53    2243889

Link

Replying To jobber:  "But you want to deprive lads of games These four clubs have serious population issues. Your problem is you can't hack small rural clubs getting together and actually challengeing the big urban clubs."
It wouldn't be depriving lads of games though. Milmore and Maryland/ Tang would both have fielded regardless of the amalgamation. If anything it would have made for healthier competition as it would mean more teams in the tournament

westmeathman99 (Westmeath) - Posts: 26 - 16/10/2019 10:46:47    2243891

Link

Killucan a big urban club now!!! Heard it all.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 95 - 16/10/2019 11:27:02    2243898

Link