Westmeath Forum

Club Championships - Football 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Temple56:  "Weather will suit Garrycastle tomorrow and feel like they can really put it up to Ballyboden. They beat them 10 years ago in similar weather. If Garrycastle start well and get a lead I feel it will take a very good team to beat them as they have serious subs coming off the bench Cosgrove, Heneghan, Mannion and O'Halloran they are 4 serious forwards who didn't start the last day.
I will be in Cusack Park tomorrow supporting them I hope fellow Westmeath supporters will also!!!"
Ballyboden come into this as strong favourites, I feel Garrycastle can really put it up to them, as Temple already said they have a very good bench and the starting 15 are strong in all positions, If they don't get a good start they are able to put the head down pull it back, We should be putting on our Westmeath caps and getting into the park to support our County representatives and hopefully be talking about a Leinster Final tomorrow evening. it would be a shame to see us outnumbered by the travelling supporters in a home match !!
very little encouragement from our County social media platforms to get behind Garrycastle as fly the flag for Westmeath GAA in Leinster!!

Westmeathgeal (Westmeath) - Posts: 37 - 23/11/2019 20:01:59    2251020

Link

Can anybody explain the totally unfair distribution of tv transmission of games by both RTE and TG4. Garycastle have reached a provincial semifinal without even getting even a highlights appearance on TG4 or RTE.. And their provincial semi final against Bodenstown tomorrow isn't even getting a a deferred transmission....As another poster pointed out, up to last week, here RTE and TG4 this season have transmitted 10 football games involving only 2 counties, Dublin of course and Kerry ! What a disgrace by our NATIONAL TV channels !!!

michael (Cork) - Posts: 341 - 23/11/2019 21:02:29    2251030

Link

Why do we need encouragement from social media platforms to support Garrycastle? Any half knowledgeable Gaa supporter knows what fixtures are on at this time of year. Hopefully Garrycastle bring a decent crowd of their own supporters and that other Westmeath clubs get behind them too.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 115 - 23/11/2019 21:42:28    2251040

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "Why do we need encouragement from social media platforms to support Garrycastle? Any half knowledgeable Gaa supporter knows what fixtures are on at this time of year. Hopefully Garrycastle bring a decent crowd of their own supporters and that other Westmeath clubs get behind them too."
to support out County representative in a Senior Leinster Semi Final and advertise that U16s get in free and maybe some of the less knowledgeable GAA supporters might come out and support our Football or Hurling representatives, give the build-up to the fixture a bit more exposure than "copy and paste" off the Leinster GAA page, have look at the westmeath website and see if there is anything about any of the recent Leinster games at any grade representing our County !!
Don't mean to get side tracked just stating the obvious!!
Best of Luck to Gary Dolan,John Keane and the team

Westmeathgeal (Westmeath) - Posts: 37 - 23/11/2019 22:20:24    2251044

Link

Replying To michael:  "Can anybody explain the totally unfair distribution of tv transmission of games by both RTE and TG4. Garycastle have reached a provincial semifinal without even getting even a highlights appearance on TG4 or RTE.. And their provincial semi final against Bodenstown tomorrow isn't even getting a a deferred transmission....As another poster pointed out, up to last week, here RTE and TG4 this season have transmitted 10 football games involving only 2 counties, Dublin of course and Kerry ! What a disgrace by our NATIONAL TV channels !!!"
Its complete bias toward Dublin and Kerry. They definately had 10 games shown if not more and I think they were all live coverage as opposed to deferred and of course each game got a highlight reel on tg4 later on. I think it was RTE that showed those games, wasn't it? Maybe that was the deal.

I think TG4 are probably under a bit of pressure to stay away from the Dublin/kerry football champions due to both already getting so much coverage on RTE. I could be wrong but i think TG4 have shown more football from ulster and connacht including a couple of county finals, Ive def seen corofin and donegal champs at least twice and corofin are on again today. Had RTE shown 10 county finals from different counties (say top 10 ranked counties) then I think TG4 might have more options.

I know that it's impossible to show every county but its hard to believe that today Garrycastle will have played 3 provincial matches without a minutes coverage while Ballyboden had 3 full matches shown live before they ever played a provincial game.

borisdblade (Westmeath) - Posts: 116 - 24/11/2019 13:34:45    2251101

Link

Replying To michael:  "Can anybody explain the totally unfair distribution of tv transmission of games by both RTE and TG4. Garycastle have reached a provincial semifinal without even getting even a highlights appearance on TG4 or RTE.. And their provincial semi final against Bodenstown tomorrow isn't even getting a a deferred transmission....As another poster pointed out, up to last week, here RTE and TG4 this season have transmitted 10 football games involving only 2 counties, Dublin of course and Kerry ! What a disgrace by our NATIONAL TV channels !!!"
Why would Tg4 pick a semi final over a Munster and Connacht final?

Wmeath2 (Westmeath) - Posts: 94 - 24/11/2019 13:46:32    2251104

Link

Replying To Wmeath2:  "Why would Tg4 pick a semi final over a Munster and Connacht final?"
Its hard argue that but using that analagy why did tg4 pick Galway and Donegal county finals over numerous provincial games OR why did RTE cover Dublin Sfc quarter finals/semi finals over numerous other County finals being played out the same weekends.
It just means that the same club/county are getting coverage over and over, and then over again if they progress to a provincial semi final or final.

There was a missed opportunity for Rte to cover 10 county finals which could have included both Dublin and Kerry. Straight away you will have covered 10counties/20clubs as opposed to 2counties/12clubs..I'm sure the viewings overall would have been much higher and higher again had they picked say 6 football finals and 4 hurling finals. I'm sure for example the Kilkenny, Tipp, Limerick and cork hurling finals would have a lot more people tuned in compared to the Dublin football quarter finals. Then Tg4 could cover provincial games. Its no big surprise when you hear how they are millions in debt.

Anyway it's over now. Hard luck to Garrycastle. Super club

borisdblade (Westmeath) - Posts: 116 - 24/11/2019 15:51:17    2251120

Link

Hard luck garrycastle - up against a serious side today who may go all the way.

Captainfantastic (Westmeath) - Posts: 4 - 24/11/2019 17:46:53    2251142

Link

Replying To borisdblade:  "Its hard argue that but using that analagy why did tg4 pick Galway and Donegal county finals over numerous provincial games OR why did RTE cover Dublin Sfc quarter finals/semi finals over numerous other County finals being played out the same weekends.
It just means that the same club/county are getting coverage over and over, and then over again if they progress to a provincial semi final or final.

There was a missed opportunity for Rte to cover 10 county finals which could have included both Dublin and Kerry. Straight away you will have covered 10counties/20clubs as opposed to 2counties/12clubs..I'm sure the viewings overall would have been much higher and higher again had they picked say 6 football finals and 4 hurling finals. I'm sure for example the Kilkenny, Tipp, Limerick and cork hurling finals would have a lot more people tuned in compared to the Dublin football quarter finals. Then Tg4 could cover provincial games. Its no big surprise when you hear how they are millions in debt.

Anyway it's over now. Hard luck to Garrycastle. Super club"
Tg4 show the Galway and Donegal county finals because there are Irish speaking areas in both those countys and a large proportion of their regular viewers are from those counties

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 199 - 25/11/2019 09:54:52    2251252

Link

Replying To sourmilk93:  "Tg4 show the Galway and Donegal county finals because there are Irish speaking areas in both those countys and a large proportion of their regular viewers are from those counties"
I was just going to post the same. I was at the Leinster semi final yesterday so was interested to see what people thought. Like you say tg4 shows favour to Donegal, Galway and Kerry as they are the main Irish speaking parts of the country.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2185 - 25/11/2019 10:32:39    2251264

Link

Replying To sourmilk93:  "Tg4 show the Galway and Donegal county finals because there are Irish speaking areas in both those countys and a large proportion of their regular viewers are from those counties"
Yes but TG4 is a national broadcast and non Irish speaking gaa counties are well aware of GAA beo and would tune in to watch a local team. Corofin are probably favourites for the all Ireland or close to it and if they go on and win it out every game since their county semi final will have been televised. The county team wouldnt get that coverage.
There maybe some logic in TG4 favouring Gaelteacht regions but there is no explaining RTE covering 7 Dublin and 3 kerry club matches in favour of county finals going on everywhere else.
The GAA are constantly having to defend themselves against being bias toward Dublin when it comes to funding etc. RTE covering 7 games isn't helping their cause.
It irks me a bit and I'm only a casual GAA supporter from westmeath.

borisdblade (Westmeath) - Posts: 116 - 25/11/2019 16:01:17    2251361

Link

Leinster gaa might not have wanted the game shown live as it would affect the gate.

That is often the reason

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1684 - 25/11/2019 19:36:39    2251396

Link

Replying To borisdblade:  "Yes but TG4 is a national broadcast and non Irish speaking gaa counties are well aware of GAA beo and would tune in to watch a local team. Corofin are probably favourites for the all Ireland or close to it and if they go on and win it out every game since their county semi final will have been televised. The county team wouldnt get that coverage.
There maybe some logic in TG4 favouring Gaelteacht regions but there is no explaining RTE covering 7 Dublin and 3 kerry club matches in favour of county finals going on everywhere else.
The GAA are constantly having to defend themselves against being bias toward Dublin when it comes to funding etc. RTE covering 7 games isn't helping their cause.
It irks me a bit and I'm only a casual GAA supporter from westmeath."
As far as I know, RTE had the rights for the Saturday evening slots and didn't show any live games on Sundays. Hence they showed no county finals. They showed double headers of two of the four Dublin and Donegal QFs, Kerry and Dublin SFs and then the game on Saturday night just gone. They showed some hurling games too.

I'm not sure given the Saturday evening time slots they had to broadcast that RTE could have shown any of Garrycastle's games, as there's no lights in Cusack Park.

I did think that there should have been highlights of them on the Monday night TG4 shows though. It annoys me when stations just show highlights of games they have already had live.

anon (None) - Posts: 323 - 25/11/2019 21:11:03    2251423

Link