Galway Forum

Junior Football Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To gaa190:  "Was at both games

Relegation appears to be the best thing that could have happened to Glenn - gave them a chance to rebuild a new young team which is top of Division 4 and and really peaking heading towards the business end of the year.

St. Brendans gave good fight against Athenry. They kept Flynn out of the game for long stretches and I was amazed at how good their kickouts were - keeper deserves huge plaudits for his performance.

Athenry appear to have many outstanding individual players, but really struggled to put scores together going forward. It is hard to see how they clocked up 4-18 against Ballinasloe. They were lucky not to go down to 14 men in the first half v Brendans & I expect discipline to cost them in the final."
You expect discipline to cost them in the final....based on what exactly? From my view the game on Sunday wasn't exactly a dirty game from either side so for you to suggest that discipline will cost them in the final is quite baffling??

mkeary5 (Galway) - Posts: 26 - 11/09/2019 20:34:57    2234564

Link

Replying To gaa190:  "Was at both games

Relegation appears to be the best thing that could have happened to Glenn - gave them a chance to rebuild a new young team which is top of Division 4 and and really peaking heading towards the business end of the year.

St. Brendans gave good fight against Athenry. They kept Flynn out of the game for long stretches and I was amazed at how good their kickouts were - keeper deserves huge plaudits for his performance.

Athenry appear to have many outstanding individual players, but really struggled to put scores together going forward. It is hard to see how they clocked up 4-18 against Ballinasloe. They were lucky not to go down to 14 men in the first half v Brendans & I expect discipline to cost them in the final."
Saw both games also, Glen are very young team , lots of nice footballers , but feel Athenry may have the physical edge on them.
Glen let Mountbellew back at them twice in the game when they had comfortable leads , but in fairness were always that little bit ahead. would wonder why a few lads on the M/M team not in with their seniors?
second game was a tighter affair , and could be argued Brendans should have won, but they didnt, Athenry produced enough to win without ever being spectacular.

The final could be a cracker, and could go either way , will be down to who holds their nerve best on the day.
Regarding discipline , will depend on who's reffing , thought the performance of ref, particularly in Glen /M/M was shocking , with decisions made that were likely to cause rows rather than stop them.

juniorblegend (Kerry) - Posts: 58 - 19/09/2019 19:22:07    2237656

Link

Have Renvyle ever been Intermediate does anyone know. They've been junior as long as I remember. Great people out there to keep it going through the hard times. Would love to see them win something

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 297 - 20/09/2019 09:53:42    2237765

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "Have Renvyle ever been Intermediate does anyone know. They've been junior as long as I remember. Great people out there to keep it going through the hard times. Would love to see them win something"
Yea they were intermediate back in 80s. Never senior though.

jj19 (Galway) - Posts: 431 - 20/09/2019 17:47:16    2237877

Link

West final to be one side with salthill winning by 8+
North final to be a really close battle with Athenry winning by 2.

A real pity both games aren't on at the same venue.

mkeary5 (Galway) - Posts: 26 - 20/09/2019 19:23:19    2237902

Link

So it's to be Glan and Salthill in the county final.
In truth Glan were blessed today , a very nervous performance in lots of ways , will have to put away their goal chances next day out.
Hopefully this win will stand to them, they are a very young team overall.
Athenry will feel they should have won it , if they had a free taker they might have. Missed a lot of what seemed easily kickable frees. Glan were much better playing into the strong wind in the second half when they ran at Athenry. It looked bleak for us going in level at halftime.
While the lads will enjoy the win , I hope they know it's really a semi today , having said that they've won a trophy , and this may help them in terms of confidence next day out.
Refereeing was shocking today , for both sides.
Well done to the Glenamaddy Williamstown Ladies who won their county final today.
Glan will be rocking tonight.

Glanfan2 (Galway) - Posts: 17 - 22/09/2019 02:11:12    2238163

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "Have Renvyle ever been Intermediate does anyone know. They've been junior as long as I remember. Great people out there to keep it going through the hard times. Would love to see them win something"
They lost unfortunately but you'd love to see them in a junior final. Must be very hard to keep a club going out there.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1659 - 22/09/2019 02:43:58    2238164

Link

Replying To Marooned:  "They lost unfortunately but you'd love to see them in a junior final. Must be very hard to keep a club going out there."
I think this adds to the argument of having a junior, intermediate & senior championship comprising of first teams only and perhaps a senior reserve for the strong second teams. Would be much better to see Renvyle battling for a spot in the intermediate championship than SK B. Very tough to keep football going in any small rural area like theirs so fair play to Renvyle.

Donaldtrump (Galway) - Posts: 76 - 22/09/2019 08:49:22    2238185

Link

Replying To Glanfan2:  "So it's to be Glan and Salthill in the county final.
In truth Glan were blessed today , a very nervous performance in lots of ways , will have to put away their goal chances next day out.
Hopefully this win will stand to them, they are a very young team overall.
Athenry will feel they should have won it , if they had a free taker they might have. Missed a lot of what seemed easily kickable frees. Glan were much better playing into the strong wind in the second half when they ran at Athenry. It looked bleak for us going in level at halftime.
While the lads will enjoy the win , I hope they know it's really a semi today , having said that they've won a trophy , and this may help them in terms of confidence next day out.
Refereeing was shocking today , for both sides.
Well done to the Glenamaddy Williamstown Ladies who won their county final today.
Glan will be rocking tonight."
Agree 100%. Athenry kicked themselves out of it. A very tight game with alot of mistakes. Would be great to see Glan go on an win it now. There a young team that will only grow from here. Athenry will be hurting badly after that. They never really turned up but that's sport.

mkeary5 (Galway) - Posts: 26 - 22/09/2019 09:12:00    2238190

Link

Yeah , Glen v Athenry was a tight game. Agreed with previous posters regarding Athenrys freetaking, they missed 3 what I would consider easy frees. Having said that Glenamaddy had 3 good goal opportunities that they didn't take. Fair result in the end I feel, as glenamaddy controlled the possession and created more scoring opportunities.

galwaygael (Galway) - Posts: 55 - 22/09/2019 15:43:51    2238272

Link

Well done to Glan today on a thoroughly deserved victory. Once they settled into game after 20 minutes then they looked the better side. Absolutely unbelievable refereeing to send two Glan players off midway through second half . But down to 13 was when they kicked on. , Two great team goals , held possession well, and looked like they could overrun Salthill from then on.
A great performance and good game . Well done to all involved.

Glanfan2 (Galway) - Posts: 17 - 05/10/2019 20:31:22    2241532

Link

Replying To jj19:  "Yea they were intermediate back in 80s. Never senior though."
Yeah everybody is lovely when they are loosing, but when they start winning a different story!

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1618 - 06/10/2019 02:43:45    2241560

Link

Glan definitely the better team on the day. The captain mentioned in his speech that that match was their 106th meeting they've had this year between trainings and matches. Some achievement and dedication for a Junior team. Hopefully they can give Connacht a right good go now.
Salthill were missing their captain and best player Barry Kelly in midfield who was a huge loss but they can have no complaints about the match. With 2 extra men they failed to push on and the sendings off probably hurted them more than benefited them as it rallied Glan on.

KerryBlood (Galway) - Posts: 7 - 07/10/2019 12:03:46    2241770

Link

Glenamaddy were by far the better side, even with 13 men. Some great young players coming through there. Brought a great support too, especially for a small parish.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 139 - 07/10/2019 14:44:18    2241846

Link