Westmeath Forum

Championship Team

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Read my post I never mentioned tactics once

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1145 - 30/06/2019 04:08:27    2202667

Link

The loss of John,ger,and Ronan was allways going to be an uphill struggle as we had nobody to take the vital frees and scores our bench also is very light wonder why Frank Boyle was not brought in as we needed a bit of weight against a more physical Clare team
Clare was allowed to win the kick out and attack us and we sat back as we needed to push up in second half. The goal was the difference in the end which came from a bad mistake.

nearlymadeit (Westmeath) - Posts: 69 - 30/06/2019 08:34:09    2202691

Link

Another one left behind us unfortunately. Like most mid ranking teams we really need all our best players on the pitch. Some of that yesterday was self inflicted too which is even more unfortunate. Ronan O'Toole has been super for us since he made the step up to county ball so I'll give him a pass on the black. A real shame for us and for Ger Egan himslef that injury has been hampering him. Our marquee player hasn't done a whole lot this year and when needed yesterday he earned himslef an early exit. I'm sure nobody more dissappointed about it than the man himslef. Such a pity we hadn't him on the pitch keeping Gary Brennan down. And one more who seems to have taken himslef out of the running for whatever reason is Luke loughlin... another player who would make a big difference to us on the pitch. I think jack and co have done a very good job this year all in all and I look forward to div 2 next year. I only hope we can get all our best players on the pitch because that squad is good enough to give anybody a real rattle. Just a pity yesterday wasn't our day but as usual with the weaker counties a little bit of our misfortune was self inflicted.

d7h (Westmeath) - Posts: 27 - 30/06/2019 10:34:55    2202745

Link

Sorry regarding my post above. The marquee player I'm referring to is John heslin and not ger egan. Ger has been super and its a real shame for him and for us that he's been carrying an injury. Apologies for any confusion above and I'll stop posting now. Just yesterday was gutting.

d7h (Westmeath) - Posts: 27 - 30/06/2019 10:48:19    2202755

Link

Terrible tactics by management in second half especially, not to push up on the clare kick outs until 5 mins left, continuing with sweeper with the strong wind behind them, continuing with kick outs towards brennan at midfield, this is a game we would have won if management were more clued in!! Promotion to division 2 was a big bonus but championship was a disaster, 2 half decent teams we played laois and clare we lost.

dec (None) - Posts: 215 - 30/06/2019 11:04:00    2202768

Link

Replying To d7h:  "Sorry regarding my post above. The marquee player I'm referring to is John heslin and not ger egan. Ger has been super and its a real shame for him and for us that he's been carrying an injury. Apologies for any confusion above and I'll stop posting now. Just yesterday was gutting."
The marquee player you mention was the most over rated player in the country 4 or 5 yrs ago. Yes he had some great performances early on but he was never consistant even against average teams. Yes he scored a record 2 : 16 (14 from frees) in a club match but thats how many years ago? Ive been to a few club matches where he has struggled to have any influence. His only consistancy is his lack of discipline. Its 2019, time to get off the hypetrain.

borisdblade (Westmeath) - Posts: 101 - 30/06/2019 21:26:41    2203135

Link

Looking at game on tv John heslins sending off was very harsh was nothing in it officials got it wrong and probably cost us the game as well

nearlymadeit (Westmeath) - Posts: 69 - 30/06/2019 23:11:24    2203177

Link

Replying To borisdblade:  "The marquee player you mention was the most over rated player in the country 4 or 5 yrs ago. Yes he had some great performances early on but he was never consistant even against average teams. Yes he scored a record 2 : 16 (14 from frees) in a club match but thats how many years ago? Ive been to a few club matches where he has struggled to have any influence. His only consistancy is his lack of discipline. Its 2019, time to get off the hypetrain."
we're great fans at slagging our own players...grown up FFS...Heslin has been a great player for us over the years at all levels...never a black card yesterday..Roll on next season

Dessie15 (Westmeath) - Posts: 209 - 01/07/2019 00:16:40    2203204

Link

Bounce of the ball didn't go our way on the day, to lose our 3 best forwards all in the first half was a killer blow. Ronan O'Toole in particular i thought has been immense all year, as has Ger Egan. You can question tactics and you dont have to agree with them, but all Jack and his mgt team were trying to do was to win the match. In saying that they got it wrong not to push up on kick outs. If the 3 lads had been on the pitch we would of won by 3-4 points i think, and the tactics would not of even been mentioned - it would be one win away from the super 8's so lets go. Clare have Meath up next, so best of luck to them - Gary Brennan a real stalwart. Bring on the club championships!

winghalf10 (Westmeath) - Posts: 21 - 01/07/2019 08:49:16    2203233

Link

Replying To Dessie15:  "we're great fans at slagging our own players...grown up FFS...Heslin has been a great player for us over the years at all levels...never a black card yesterday..Roll on next season"
U done it enough yourself over the years.We were bet fair and square. We had those so called best players against Laois and it made no difference. Championship this year was a farce.

Paddyfla19 (Westmeath) - Posts: 105 - 01/07/2019 12:35:03    2203483

Link

Replying To Dessie15:  "we're great fans at slagging our own players...grown up FFS...Heslin has been a great player for us over the years at all levels...never a black card yesterday..Roll on next season"
You're wearing rose tinted glasses. Heslin is good, not great. For every good display he gave there is probably as many bad, then throw in his black yellow and red cards on top of that.
Pinning westmeaths loss down to his black card is just a poor excuse. His replacement scored 3 points.
They were fortunate and got promoted to div2. They got the luckiest draws in qualifiers and they reached their limit.
No excuses..

borisdblade (Westmeath) - Posts: 101 - 01/07/2019 14:17:59    2203595

Link

Hard to say it was not a good performance given the loss of 3 of our best players. The black cards seemed harsh but players have been forewarned. Kieran Martin was outstanding and did not deserve to be on losing side. Gary Brennan rated one of best midfielders in country so no surprising we struggled against him. Our record in qualifiers has been awful so 3rd round is progress. Hopefully Ger Egan can recover over Summer we missed him badly.

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 450 - 02/07/2019 07:48:58    2204099

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "How do we feel about the draw lads . It could be worse but clare are a solid division 2 team and in gary brennan they have one of the best midfielders I'm the country . At this stage it's all hands on deck so John Heslin has to start at midfield . We can win but in my opinion we have to play above anything we have shown already . Good luck to all"
just referring to a post i made prior to the game . gary brennan stood up and was counted when clare needed him . lads
can anyone pinpoint a current club player in the county who could be a dominant midfielder. we dont seem to have a player of that status . while i greatly admire the hardwork of dennis corroon i would love to see a high fielding midfielder making the grade . any ideas lads

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1145 - 02/07/2019 10:19:07    2204158

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "just referring to a post i made prior to the game . gary brennan stood up and was counted when clare needed him . lads
can anyone pinpoint a current club player in the county who could be a dominant midfielder. we dont seem to have a player of that status . while i greatly admire the hardwork of dennis corroon i would love to see a high fielding midfielder making the grade . any ideas lads"
John Heslin?? Obviously if his work rate went up. Best fielder of a ball we have..

Paddyfla19 (Westmeath) - Posts: 105 - 02/07/2019 11:17:52    2204210

Link

Replying To Paddyfla19:  "U done it enough yourself over the years.We were bet fair and square. We had those so called best players against Laois and it made no difference. Championship this year was a farce."
ha ha, not sure what you mean by that comment

Over the years i've witnessed some of our top players getting dogs abuse off their own fans....Willie Lowery, Rory Fahy, Noel Lynch, Ger Heavin, Des Dolan, Denis Glennon and now Heslin

disgraceful in my opinion

Dessie15 (Westmeath) - Posts: 209 - 02/07/2019 23:50:34    2204701

Link

Replying To Dessie15:  "ha ha, not sure what you mean by that comment

Over the years i've witnessed some of our top players getting dogs abuse off their own fans....Willie Lowery, Rory Fahy, Noel Lynch, Ger Heavin, Des Dolan, Denis Glennon and now Heslin

disgraceful in my opinion"
Rory Fahy ??

Meridian (Westmeath) - Posts: 482 - 05/07/2019 11:59:54    2205850

Link

Rory fahy why would he have got abuse . Rory oconnell was the recipient of most fan abuse but he took it with his usual good grace

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1145 - 05/07/2019 13:39:02    2205901

Link

Abuse? Seriously? You need to take off the bubble wrap and grow yourself some thicker skin. I criticised him.
He was being used as an excuse to sugar coat westmeath championship loss.

borisdblade (Westmeath) - Posts: 101 - 05/07/2019 23:36:21    2206077

Link

What the experts here don't realise is that Heslin for a long time has been carrying a hip injury which has limited his training. He has been playing through the pain, and probably causing himself long term damage for the entertainment of these experts.

The_Biler (Westmeath) - Posts: 84 - 08/07/2019 20:59:25    2208151

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "just referring to a post i made prior to the game . gary brennan stood up and was counted when clare needed him . lads
can anyone pinpoint a current club player in the county who could be a dominant midfielder. we dont seem to have a player of that status . while i greatly admire the hardwork of dennis corroon i would love to see a high fielding midfielder making the grade . any ideas lads"
I don't see the point of picking one player on the team who dosent make the grade. There isn't anyone better in the county pickings for the midfield job in my opinion. The team lost the game-not the midfielder, same as the Clare midfielder didn't win the game for Clare. Heslin is better placed up front to recieve ball I reckon. It was the best year for Westmeath football in a long time too, huge amount of passion and determination in our footballers and hurlers this year. Roll on division 2. Iarmhi Abu!

Wmeathboyo (Westmeath) - Posts: 5 - 09/07/2019 00:03:25    2208258

Link