Galway Forum

Intermediate Hurling Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Same old story when it comes to the county board and fixtures, always favour certain clubs. With so many possible outcomes all games should be on at the same time absolute disgrace.

TheBuckfastBadger (Galway) - Posts: 4 - 30/09/2019 13:28:01    2240292

Link

Carnmore have got away light. If they only finished level on points with one team only (Kinvara or Turloughmore), they wouldn't be able qualify as it goes down to head to head. Turlough and Kinvara both bet Carnmore.

Relegation won't go ahead if Kilbacenty are in it. They don't like fielding teams two weeks in a row as its against player welfare

dapoormansson (Galway) - Posts: 36 - 30/09/2019 13:47:38    2240302

Link

Replying To Stool Pigeon:  "Carnmore win by 2+, they finish 4th and Turloughmore are out

Carnmore win by 6+, they finish third with Kinvara in 4th.

There will be little sentiment for Turloughmore but they (and Kinvara before them) have been treated poorly here, all of the final group games should have thrown in simultaneously.

At least we can expect Kilbeacanty to be competitive as they can avoid the relegation playoffs with a win themselves.

But it's still wrong and hugely unfair imo. The playing field is simply not level for all teams as it should have been and it wouldnt have taken much to ensure it was. But clearly the will wasn't there from the fixtures committee."
I totally agree with you..all 3 games should have been played same time but if Turlough or Kinvara had won their last Group games then Carnmore would be knocked out.
Before those games were played Carnmore's destiny was out of their hands but now after those results..Carnmore's destiny is firmly in their hands!
Also if they finish 3rd and avoid Quarter Final v M/Eyrecourt I'd fancy them to end up in a Semi Final because they would beat Rahoon-Newcastle in the Quarter Final.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 752 - 30/09/2019 14:04:43    2240313

Link

My predictions in the 1/4finals:

Moycullen v Annaghdown Moycullen
Kinvara v Rahoon Kinvara
Eyrecourt v Carnmore Eyrecourt
Kilcon v Kilimor Kilcon

CillTormoir (Galway) - Posts: 97 - 30/09/2019 14:43:10    2240333

Link

Replying To katser:  "I totally agree with you..all 3 games should have been played same time but if Turlough or Kinvara had won their last Group games then Carnmore would be knocked out.
Before those games were played Carnmore's destiny was out of their hands but now after those results..Carnmore's destiny is firmly in their hands!
Also if they finish 3rd and avoid Quarter Final v M/Eyrecourt I'd fancy them to end up in a Semi Final because they would beat Rahoon-Newcastle in the Quarter Final."
I wouldn't give Carnmore a great chance of beating Rahoon/Newcastle tbh, but time will tell, maybe they'll make a balls of it against Kilbeacanty the next day though

Stool Pigeon (Galway) - Posts: 451 - 30/09/2019 19:00:10    2240429

Link

Fixtures for the quarter finals:

Saturday (12th)

Moycullen V Annaghdown…………….Pearse Stadium 4:30pm

Sunday (13th)

Rahoon v Turlough/Carnmore/Kinvara………..Pearse Stadium 1:45pm

M/E v Turlough/Carnmore/Kinvara…………...Kenny Park 1:45pm

Kilconieron v Killimor……………….Duggan Park 3:45pm

getitouuut (Galway) - Posts: 17 - 01/10/2019 10:34:53    2240547

Link

Turlough have no one to blame but themselves for not guaranteeing a q final spot hammered against kilconeiron who carnmore bet. Are kinvara through either way because of scoring diff? Carnmore look to be gathering a bit of momentum now so who knows what'l happen in the quarters with them. #pumpitout

Pumpitinlow (Galway) - Posts: 576 - 02/10/2019 10:57:08    2240884

Link

Replying To Pumpitinlow:  "Turlough have no one to blame but themselves for not guaranteeing a q final spot hammered against kilconeiron who carnmore bet. Are kinvara through either way because of scoring diff? Carnmore look to be gathering a bit of momentum now so who knows what'l happen in the quarters with them. #pumpitout"
Kinvara, Moycullen, Kilconieron guaranteed 1/4 finals. last spot is between Carnmore & Turlough. Carnmore win v Kilbeacanty, Carnmore are the 4th team to qualify. Carnmore lose, Turlough qualify. we could get into score difference and were each team finishes, but that is the bones of it.

CillTormoir (Galway) - Posts: 97 - 02/10/2019 11:56:34    2240904

Link

Games will hardly go ahead this weekend pitches bound to be flooded can the intermediate game be put back or does if have to be played this weekend?

Pumpitinlow (Galway) - Posts: 576 - 03/10/2019 20:22:45    2241225

Link

Replying To CillTormoir:  "Kinvara, Moycullen, Kilconieron guaranteed 1/4 finals. last spot is between Carnmore & Turlough. Carnmore win v Kilbeacanty, Carnmore are the 4th team to qualify. Carnmore lose, Turlough qualify. we could get into score difference and were each team finishes, but that is the bones of it."
S/D is pretty simple

Carnmore win by 2+ guaranteed 4th

Carnmore win by 6+ finish 3rd

Any other result Carnmore fail to qualify

Kilbeacanty get any kind of result they finish 6th

Stool Pigeon (Galway) - Posts: 451 - 04/10/2019 08:30:46    2241273

Link

Replying To Pumpitinlow:  "Games will hardly go ahead this weekend pitches bound to be flooded can the intermediate game be put back or does if have to be played this weekend?"
Play it in Kinvara. Pitch there is playable nearly every day of the year.

fearruanua (Galway) - Posts: 297 - 04/10/2019 09:29:02    2241279

Link

Carnmore draw with Kilbeacanty so miss out on the QF, Turloughmore to play R/N, Kinvara v M/E

Stool Pigeon (Galway) - Posts: 451 - 05/10/2019 18:00:22    2241498

Link

Replying To Pumpitinlow:  "Turlough have no one to blame but themselves for not guaranteeing a q final spot hammered against kilconeiron who carnmore bet. Are kinvara through either way because of scoring diff? Carnmore look to be gathering a bit of momentum now so who knows what'l happen in the quarters with them. #pumpitout"
Did carnmore make quater final??

Tubeyou (Galway) - Posts: 6 - 06/10/2019 05:01:14    2241561

Link

Replying To Tubeyou:  "Did carnmore make quater final??"
No they are out. Was at the game one of the most atrocious refereeing displays I seen in a long time

Galway1979 (Galway) - Posts: 8 - 06/10/2019 11:18:39    2241580

Link

The quarter finals are now set and there should be good games.

M/E vs Kinvara
M/E are probably the current favourites to win the championship outright given the level of consistency they showed throughout the group. They concede little and seem to find a way to get over the line. Kinvara on the other hand have been inconsistent, but have shown on a good day they can be more than a match for any team. This could be a step too far tho. Verdict M/E.

Rahoon vs Turloughmore
Rahoon were on a great run of form until a surprise loss to Annaghdown, followed up by another loss from M/E. They have proven to be very capable when on song and can put up good scores. Turlough got through after Carnmore's failure to beat Kilbeacanty, but to come third in that group was good going. Verdict Rahoon.

Kilconieron vs Killimor
Kilconieron and Killimor is the hardest game to call. Both have the same points from the groups and in their losses there was very little in them. They are hard teams to put away and I think this could go either way. Verdict On The Fence

Moycullen v Annaghdown
Moycullen score goals and lots of them. They are prob second favourites to win intermedieate. Annaghdown from what I have heard have been flying lately and will not be there to make up the numbers whatsoever, they could surprise Moycullen but I think Moycullen will get over the line Verdict Moycullen.

Thoughts on how the matches will go?

getitouuut (Galway) - Posts: 17 - 06/10/2019 14:30:26    2241598

Link

Was at the Carnmore v Kilbeacanty game on Saturday. Without a doubt, it was the most horrific refereeing display i have ever seen in my life. It genuinely beggars belief how bad he was. Carnmore down through they years can have no complaints regarding a lot of results but on Saturday i feel their refereeing complaints are fully justified. Kilbeacanty have a midfielder who is box office but apart from that are very limited.

RicoSuave (Galway) - Posts: 14 - 07/10/2019 10:52:03    2241749

Link

Replying To RicoSuave:  "Was at the Carnmore v Kilbeacanty game on Saturday. Without a doubt, it was the most horrific refereeing display i have ever seen in my life. It genuinely beggars belief how bad he was. Carnmore down through they years can have no complaints regarding a lot of results but on Saturday i feel their refereeing complaints are fully justified. Kilbeacanty have a midfielder who is box office but apart from that are very limited."
I've been to a few games this year, mostly moycullen and rahoon, it's clearly obvious that once games aren't in pearse the standard of ref seems to drop, not sure why.
I was at one game where the ref landed with no umpires or linesmen, for a championship game!!! No respect for intermediate grade in Galway because there are too many senior teams, but that's not the clubs fault.
Was genuinely concerned with 1 ref, very unhealthy looking and chasing a game, calling frees 60m away some eyesight lol

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 102 - 07/10/2019 11:29:43    2241759

Link

Replying To PineappleExpres:  "I heard from a hurling board member that there wouldn't be any relegation this year they were just going to relegate Castlegar that they don't want stay in intermediate as they are struggling to field and are nowhere near competitive.

I thought it was a bit weird but not to demeen Cashel but it makes sense they are struggling with it and that they weren't developing players as they would like i imagine."
Anymore word on this?!

Tubeyou (Galway) - Posts: 6 - 10/10/2019 07:38:43    2242486

Link

Intermediate Quarter Finals
Moycullen v Annaghdown..................Moycullen
Rahoon-Newcastle v Turloughmore......Rahoon
Kilconiron v Killimor...............................Kilconiron
Meelick-Eyrecourt v Kinvara...............M/Eyrecourt

Should be straight forward wins for Moycullen, Rahoon and Kilconiron (Killimor always seem to bottle it at this stage every year)
But M/Eyrecourt and Kinvara should be a good match and a right aul battle but I'm going for my favourites for the Cup this year Eyrecourt.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 752 - 10/10/2019 19:32:04    2242647

Link

The inter championship is a farce as it is, far too many senior clubs who are no where near the standard of senior should be dropping down would make the inter chmpship a lot more competitive could have a 2 up and 2 down situation every year meaning every game would nearly be a cup final The way it is now you prob have 3 teams that can maybe win it.

Pumpitinlow (Galway) - Posts: 576 - 10/10/2019 19:35:39    2242648

Link