Galway Forum

Senior Club Hurling Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Galwayspur:  "Would be nice to not have any more injuries and to see K Cooney and Cianan Fahy have a couple of good games. We might need them."
I don't think either will cut it just yet at senior. Albeit would be nice to get game time under there belt I think hurlers like Jarlaith Mannion would offer a lot more than Cooney or Fahy. It will be interesting to see how Shane Maloney's club form goes - with recent injuries he could get a call back in and indeed push for a starting position. After that i cannot see much more breaking through just yet.

pullhard96 (Galway) - Posts: 49 - 02/04/2019 14:56:21    2177295

Link

Replying To pullhard96:  "I don't think either will cut it just yet at senior. Albeit would be nice to get game time under there belt I think hurlers like Jarlaith Mannion would offer a lot more than Cooney or Fahy. It will be interesting to see how Shane Maloney's club form goes - with recent injuries he could get a call back in and indeed push for a starting position. After that i cannot see much more breaking through just yet."
I would agree at this stage, Fahy was the best u21 forward last year but I think he was injured for most of the league. Cooney was very good as well and has pace but is a bit light, I'd agree re him, might be too early but he'd be a good option of the bench for 10 minutes when defenders are tiring.

Surprised guys like Haran and Ja Mannion didn't get more game time during the league.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 127 - 02/04/2019 15:35:31    2177307

Link

Replying To katser:  "Senior A Round 1
Turloughmore v Portumna... North Galway men v the East Galway men
St.Thomas' v Liam Mellows. ..South Galway men v the City Club
Tommie Larkins v Castlegar. .. East Galway men v the City Club
Cappataggle v Sarsfields. .. East Galway derby
Kilnadeemna/Leitrim v Gort. .. East Galway men v South Galway men
Loughrea v Tynagh/Abbey-Duniry. ... East Galway derby

Senior B Round 1
Craughwell v Oranmore-Maree. .. South Galway men v City Club
Athenry v Beagh...North Galway men v South Galway men
Ahascragh/Foenagh v Padraig Pearses. ... East Galway derby
Mullagh v Clairnbridge. ...East Galway men v South Galway men
Killimordaly v Ballindereen. ..East Galway men v South Galway men
Abbeyknockmoy v Ardrahan. ...North Galway men v South Galway men."
Very interesting and some hard games to call!!!!
Turloughmore v Portumna. ...Turlough
St. Thomas' v Liam Mellows. .. Thomas'
Castlegar v Tommie Larkins. .. Cashel'
Cappataggle v Sarsfields. ... Cappy
Gort v Kilnadeemna/Leitrim. ... Gort
Loughrea v Tynagh/Abbey-Duniry.... Loughrea

Craughwell v Oranmore-Maree. .. Oranmore-Maree
Athenry v Beagh. ..Athenry
Ahascragh/Foenagh v Padraig Pearses. ..Ahascragh/Foenagh
Mullagh v Clairnbridge. ..Mullagh
Ballindereen v Killimordaly. ..Ballindereen
Ardrahan v Abbeyknockmoy. ..Ardrahan

katser (Galway) - Posts: 660 - 02/04/2019 22:37:27    2177392

Link

It's brilliant to see young talent coming through but the system in Galway is not working. Sean Loftus and Brian Concannon have been part of the panel for last two years or so but they are not stepping up. Very light and physically at sea. We talk about Cillian Fahy and Kevin Cooney again this will be the same story. Fahy did ok u21 v Wexford last year but not against Tipp where the challenge was at its highest and he was lost as were the rest. Kevin Cooney was replaced in most u21 games so how all of a sudden are they good enough for senior. Where are the other good young players Jack Coyne, Fitzpatrick, Monaghan etc. none of them are breaking through. As a supporter you have to be concerned I know I am.
Kevin Hussey is the only one who looks to have something to offer.
Are any of our young players like the Limerick young players? You have to ask the questions why.........

fireball88 (Galway) - Posts: 54 - 03/04/2019 10:15:35    2177446

Link

Replying To fireball88:  "It's brilliant to see young talent coming through but the system in Galway is not working. Sean Loftus and Brian Concannon have been part of the panel for last two years or so but they are not stepping up. Very light and physically at sea. We talk about Cillian Fahy and Kevin Cooney again this will be the same story. Fahy did ok u21 v Wexford last year but not against Tipp where the challenge was at its highest and he was lost as were the rest. Kevin Cooney was replaced in most u21 games so how all of a sudden are they good enough for senior. Where are the other good young players Jack Coyne, Fitzpatrick, Monaghan etc. none of them are breaking through. As a supporter you have to be concerned I know I am.
Kevin Hussey is the only one who looks to have something to offer.
Are any of our young players like the Limerick young players? You have to ask the questions why........."
That's a very harsh assessment on both Cianan Fahy and Kevin Cooney, Fahy did ok against wexford, he did a lot better than ok, likewise Cooney has a lot of pace, only saw him in Waterford for the seniors the 1st day, that was never doing to suit him, like to see him in summer with the ball in his hand, he will could cause teams problems.

Monaghan did well at midfield for the u21's, why is he now being asked to play corner forward, hard enough for guys to break into senior in their own position.

Agree re Loftus, needs to add intensity to his game, likewise Concannon blows very hot and cold, needs to up the ante a bit.

Hussey and Grealish should def be pushing for starting place.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 127 - 03/04/2019 13:03:00    2177474

Link

Replying To Galwayspur:  "That's a very harsh assessment on both Cianan Fahy and Kevin Cooney, Fahy did ok against wexford, he did a lot better than ok, likewise Cooney has a lot of pace, only saw him in Waterford for the seniors the 1st day, that was never doing to suit him, like to see him in summer with the ball in his hand, he will could cause teams problems.

Monaghan did well at midfield for the u21's, why is he now being asked to play corner forward, hard enough for guys to break into senior in their own position.

Agree re Loftus, needs to add intensity to his game, likewise Concannon blows very hot and cold, needs to up the ante a bit.

Hussey and Grealish should def be pushing for starting place."
Yes forgot Grealish he has done well but management are going for Morrissey ahead of him. Cianan Fahy will struggle with pace at senior club level he struggles. Thomas Monaghan is not a corner forward and agree its midfield or know where. We need players and sorry I cant see any....

fireball88 (Galway) - Posts: 54 - 03/04/2019 14:53:42    2177504

Link

Replying To fireball88:  "Yes forgot Grealish he has done well but management are going for Morrissey ahead of him. Cianan Fahy will struggle with pace at senior club level he struggles. Thomas Monaghan is not a corner forward and agree its midfield or know where. We need players and sorry I cant see any...."
In my opinion Monaghan will not cut it at midfield for Galway. You put him out there beside O'Donovan and Lynch who are arguable two of the most inform midfielders right now and he wont get a sniff of it. Physically he is just not strong enough. I know he has a good engine but its dirty ball and strong running we need out of our midfielders.

pullhard96 (Galway) - Posts: 49 - 03/04/2019 15:36:54    2177518

Link

Replying To pullhard96:  "In my opinion Monaghan will not cut it at midfield for Galway. You put him out there beside O'Donovan and Lynch who are arguable two of the most inform midfielders right now and he wont get a sniff of it. Physically he is just not strong enough. I know he has a good engine but its dirty ball and strong running we need out of our midfielders."
You can't be comparing him to Lynch, Lynch is going to be the hurler of his generation, just like Joe was.

Watching Monaghan at the U21's last year in midfield, he won plenty of dirty ball and used it fairly well, has a great engine, is a good hurler and will look to find someone, can pop it over from distance although he did miss a few last year as well. It is another step up, give him time.

I actually thought Kilduff did well in midfield when he played this year, won dirty ball, gave it to someone who can use it.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 127 - 04/04/2019 09:40:38    2177627

Link

Replying To Galwayspur:  "You can't be comparing him to Lynch, Lynch is going to be the hurler of his generation, just like Joe was.

Watching Monaghan at the U21's last year in midfield, he won plenty of dirty ball and used it fairly well, has a great engine, is a good hurler and will look to find someone, can pop it over from distance although he did miss a few last year as well. It is another step up, give him time.

I actually thought Kilduff did well in midfield when he played this year, won dirty ball, gave it to someone who can use it."
In fairness we have had plenty of midfielders over the past few years that are capable of the same. I like Monaghan and the way he applies himself but i just don't see what makes him more special than other players - especially when his physical presence is nearly non existent. These are my own views and i still think he is a lovely hurler but in the bigger scheme of things i cannot see him at 8 or 9 for Galway.

pullhard96 (Galway) - Posts: 49 - 04/04/2019 11:22:17    2177648

Link

Kilduff will get every chance being from Donoghue's own club but a very average club hurler. Thomas Monaghan will not get involved in any dirty ball he runs into green patches of the field and looks for the ball to be passed out to get an uncontested shot . A midfielder is a link and has to use the ball well like Lynch did last Sunday where there was an easy point on but he passed it and created a goal. If were saying Monaghan cant be compared to him well that's the opposition he would meet

fireball88 (Galway) - Posts: 54 - 04/04/2019 16:02:15    2177718

Link

Replying To fireball88:  "Kilduff will get every chance being from Donoghue's own club but a very average club hurler. Thomas Monaghan will not get involved in any dirty ball he runs into green patches of the field and looks for the ball to be passed out to get an uncontested shot . A midfielder is a link and has to use the ball well like Lynch did last Sunday where there was an easy point on but he passed it and created a goal. If were saying Monaghan cant be compared to him well that's the opposition he would meet"
I think thats very harsh on young Kilduff. Him and his brother Jack have been fantastic club hurlers for Clarinbridge in the past few years!

Getitdonehai (Galway) - Posts: 11 - 05/04/2019 08:38:03    2177777

Link

Replying To fireball88:  "Kilduff will get every chance being from Donoghue's own club but a very average club hurler. Thomas Monaghan will not get involved in any dirty ball he runs into green patches of the field and looks for the ball to be passed out to get an uncontested shot . A midfielder is a link and has to use the ball well like Lynch did last Sunday where there was an easy point on but he passed it and created a goal. If were saying Monaghan cant be compared to him well that's the opposition he would meet"
Fair enough, but he only has to be the best for galway in that position, not saying it's ideal, just think he'll do a better job than some, we aren't going to find a Cian Lynch, unless Mannion plays in midfield, with Joe out he's probably going to be needed in the forwards.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 127 - 05/04/2019 10:06:20    2177786

Link

Turloughmore in serious form we are reaping the benifits from the amount of lads we have in the Galway senior panel. Might not be working for Galway but we are seeing results at club level. We're in with a serious chance of lifting Tom Callanan this year thanks to Franny having so many training at a higher level. This is our year....

fireball88 (Galway) - Posts: 54 - 06/04/2019 17:07:14    2177917

Link

Saturday Results Round 1
Senior A
Turloughmore 4-18 Portumna 1-12
Gort 3-12 Kilnadeemna/Leitrim 0-14
Tommy Larkins 2-15 Castlegar 0-16
Senior B
Oranmore-Maree 1-18 Craughwell 1-16
Ardrahan 2-16 Abbeyknockmoy 1-09
Athenry 1-19 Beagh 0-18.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 660 - 06/04/2019 19:49:46    2177924

Link

Great result for oranmore against Craughwell . Turloughmore big win against Portuma. Can see turloughmore going far this year. Early goals did it for gort. Big win also for ardrahan puts alot of pressure on Abbey now. Athreny won the game in injury time i believe. Looking forward to the games tomorrow too.

plentyofstick (Galway) - Posts: 22 - 06/04/2019 20:20:51    2177928

Link

Replying To fireball88:  "Turloughmore in serious form we are reaping the benifits from the amount of lads we have in the Galway senior panel. Might not be working for Galway but we are seeing results at club level. We're in with a serious chance of lifting Tom Callanan this year thanks to Franny having so many training at a higher level. This is our year...."
Turlough have been 'fancied' for some years now, and then it gets to semi-final stage next October!, and you usually find that they're nowhere to be found.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2271 - 07/04/2019 12:12:56    2177958

Link

Sunday's Results Round 1
Senior A
Sarsfields 1-17 Cappataggle 1-14
Liam Mellows 1-17 St Thomas' 0-14
Loughrea 3-17 Tynagh/Abbey-Duniry 0-16

Senior B
Clairnbridge 0-20 Mullagh 1-12
Killimordaly 2-22 Ballindereen 2-15
Padraig Pearses 0-18 Ahasragh/Foenagh 0-11.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 660 - 07/04/2019 20:52:32    2177991

Link

With conor Cooney injuryed yesterday did anyone stand out in the club games that should be on the Galway team or panel!?

plentyofstick (Galway) - Posts: 22 - 08/04/2019 05:56:14    2178002

Link

Replying To plentyofstick:  "With conor Cooney injuryed yesterday did anyone stand out in the club games that should be on the Galway team or panel!?"
Evan Niland cant be far away from getting a call up. Exceptional skill level makes up for lack of size and he has unbelievable wrists. 13 points yesterday, machine on the frees. He was excellent in the u21 county final in dreadful conditions and was a stand out for NUIG against a lot of the Limerick lads playing for Mary I in Fitzgibbon semi final.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 43 - 08/04/2019 09:54:04    2178014

Link

Replying To plentyofstick:  "With conor Cooney injuryed yesterday did anyone stand out in the club games that should be on the Galway team or panel!?"
From what I've heard, Tadhg Haran had a great game v Thomas's.

Even Niland scored 4 from play and 5 frees.

Jason had a good game on frees.

Ahascaragh lost but both the Mannions did well.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 127 - 08/04/2019 09:59:03    2178015

Link