Galway Forum

Monaghan V Galway

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Couldn't travel this weekend because of family occasion. I'm a fan of the stability Kevin has brought and believe everyone goes out with the intention of trying their best even though my patience was tested in Croke Park last week.
Have to say the game is alot more boring on TV than live and it was very hard watch the first 25mins .(Didn't feel 2 bad when Kevin almost agreed in his after match interview) .Great result and to be honest I was hoping for damage limitation yesterday and to push on when all the panel back.
Some real positives in that we may have found cover for Sean Andy and competition should sharpen up Sean Andy as he has been coasting through the last few games. O'Laoi looks lively and Cunningham has pace but his handling lets him down. Wouldn't be too hard on Cooke as he has had a horrendous schedule the last 6 weeks playing full games mid week for NUIG and 50mins for Galway on a Sunday. he's bound to be tired as pitches heavier this time of year and harder on the body. One final point we probably lost 9 or 10 games(and probably more) by a point in the 7/8 years before Kevin took over.His teams appear to be able get over the line and with exception of Dublin,have been competitive in every game they played.

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 280 - 11/02/2019 15:40:33    2164584

Link

Congrats on the win yesterday lads. Fully deserved, much better team, we were frustratingly poor. Hopefully we'll meet again in the Summer.

Farney1234 (Monaghan) - Posts: 2 - 11/02/2019 16:04:09    2164592

Link

Great result one I didn't think possible with amount players missing in fairness in last 18 months in League football only 1 county Dublin have beaten Galway that's a great achievement and I for one am sick of Brolly constantly running Galway down in last years lwague Galway average score was I think 14 points Dublin's was 16 I know we not near same level as Dublin ,still we beat Kerry twice last year Mayo twice Tyrone once Donegal once not bad for a team no one rates ,,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 279 - 11/02/2019 17:00:19    2164615

Link

Replying To Rocky.Road:  "You must feel pretty silly today.."
Dont feel silly at all my friend.I based my comments on Galway v Dublin which was an awful performance. Monaghan were abysmal yesterday and even so Galway were hanging on at the end. Its all or nothing with Monaghan and yesterday it was nothing. A welcome win for Galway but the jury is very much out in relation to this team. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to send Kerry home pointless.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 106 - 11/02/2019 18:56:30    2164648

Link

Very impressed with Duane yesterday he is a lot more mobile than SAC, we need that it's the modern day full back and SAC is too slow.
Flynn very solid in the middle.
Dalys impressed me, like to see brothers fighting for each other, GAA is family and community.
Up front very impressed with o laoi, he showed great work rate in first half, scored a point and set up 1-1 when it was in the melting pot, what about his brother fintan, is he involved still?

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 44 - 11/02/2019 19:13:19    2164654

Link

Replying To mise87:  "Very impressed with Duane yesterday he is a lot more mobile than SAC, we need that it's the modern day full back and SAC is too slow.
Dalys impressed me, like to see brothers fighting for each other, GAA is family and community.
Up front very impressed with o laoi, he showed great work rate in first half, scored a point and set up 1-1 when it was in the melting pot, what about his brother fintan, is he involved still?"
Duane played centre forward.... not sure that would be a wise position for SAC...

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 272 - 11/02/2019 21:15:57    2164687

Link

Replying To crafty:  "Dont feel silly at all my friend.I based my comments on Galway v Dublin which was an awful performance. Monaghan were abysmal yesterday and even so Galway were hanging on at the end. Its all or nothing with Monaghan and yesterday it was nothing. A welcome win for Galway but the jury is very much out in relation to this team. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to send Kerry home pointless."
You based your comments on Galway v Dublin. Thats fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion.The point you were missing is that come championship only about 5 or 6 of that team have a realistic chance of starting.

You failed to take into account that galway were missing the 2 daly's, silke, Molloy, wall, Conroy, comer, ian burke and Mcdaid went off injured after causing all sorts of problems. All of those lads should start come championship if they are fit. Judge the team and manager when they are at full strength not when we field our second team against the 4 time all ireland champions and arguably one of the greatest teams of all time.

If those guys listed above had played against Dublin and we were beaten out the gate (which wouldnt happen imo), you would be entitled to your views then. For what it's worth, if Kevin picks those guys in the championship and drops the hand brake a little, we certainly won't be found wanting by Dublin or any other team imo.

The jury may well be out in relation to the system of play but you cannot question the bottle displayed by this particular bunch. They passed that test last Sunday and have done so on many other occasions in the past. Kevin deserves credit for getting the win also. He certainly doesn't lack bottle and never lacked it as a player either. The question is have they convinced you that they dont lack bottle anymore. If so, you should say it and admit you got it wrong and move on .

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 86 - 11/02/2019 21:21:49    2164691

Link

i started this post off - and on an extremely negative note.

Well done Galway - Outstanding second half.

Duane took me by suprise - has real leadership qualities which were badly needed.

Cunningham was poor but with more games he will get better - I think he will be a big player for us.

Sean Kelly and Shane Walsh were good - but how TG4 & Galway Bay gave them MOTM ahead of Flynn is beyond me - Really turning into the man for the big moments

gaa190 (Galway) - Posts: 90 - 11/02/2019 23:15:29    2164716

Link

Replying To mise87:  "Very impressed with Duane yesterday he is a lot more mobile than SAC, we need that it's the modern day full back and SAC is too slow.
Up front very impressed with o laoi, he showed great work rate in first half, scored a point and set up 1-1 when it was in the melting pot, what about his brother fintan, is he involved still?"
Duane didn't spend one minute of the game playing fullback though.
He was named there but didn't play there.
He also lacks pace for the fb line - pace is not one of his strengths.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 538 - 12/02/2019 06:29:12    2164738

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "You based your comments on Galway v Dublin. Thats fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion.The point you were missing is that come championship only about 5 or 6 of that team have a realistic chance of starting.

You failed to take into account that galway were missing the 2 daly's, silke, Molloy, wall, Conroy, comer, ian burke and Mcdaid went off injured after causing all sorts of problems. All of those lads should start come championship if they are fit. Judge the team and manager when they are at full strength not when we field our second team against the 4 time all ireland champions and arguably one of the greatest teams of all time.

If those guys listed above had played against Dublin and we were beaten out the gate (which wouldnt happen imo), you would be entitled to your views then. For what it's worth, if Kevin picks those guys in the championship and drops the hand brake a little, we certainly won't be found wanting by Dublin or any other team imo.

The jury may well be out in relation to the system of play but you cannot question the bottle displayed by this particular bunch. They passed that test last Sunday and have done so on many other occasions in the past. Kevin deserves credit for getting the win also. He certainly doesn't lack bottle and never lacked it as a player either. The question is have they convinced you that they dont lack bottle anymore. If so, you should say it and admit you got it wrong and move on ."
Good and honest post Reversepass1. People should not forget where we were at even 3 years ago. Look at the great wins along the way in these last 3 years or so.
Countless wins over Mayo home and away in all competitions in challenging circumstances, 2 wins last year against the mighty Kerry unheard of in our times and both played outside of Galway, unbeaten in League last year in Div 1.
Yes, it was hard to see such heavy defeats to Dublin in Semi last summer and league last week but to go up to Monaghan last Sunday with so many absentees and Injuries and come away with 2 points was magnifcient. Hats of to all involved, players and management alike. A lesser team of individuals would have given in.
Tom Flynn is beginning to become a clear No.1 at midfield and a leader. Very important for the season ahead. We need a more consistent free taker and our goal ratio to shots at goal HAS to improve otherwise we won't make the step up required
If we get even half of the players back from Injury or otherwise we will be well in the melting pot for honours this season.
Kerry and Mayo are not world beaters just because they have one more victory than Galway so it's up to the lads and management to go at these 2 teams from the get go over the next few weeks and put them back in their box.

Killanninabu (Galway) - Posts: 10 - 12/02/2019 09:45:29    2164754

Link

The team we beat is always described as performing below par, be it Kerry, Monaghan, Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal. Maybe it is because Galway do not allow them to play i.e. It is because Galway out perform them. It is always negative towards the opposition rather than positive towards Galway.

Tom Flynn is turning into one of the best midfielders in the country. It has taken him a few years to fulfill his potential but he certainly is now......... and he will only get better.

O'Laoi looked lively, good option.

Great heart and bottle shown which was important because they gave up against Dublin and the is NEVER acceptable.

Good to see the Dalys coming back.

Duane is an important panel member and is also an option but not first choice when everyone is available IMO.

Only tuned into last 20 minutes. Who was covering FB? Nice to look reasonable secure without SA. SA looks like he needs a few laps of the pitch and to stay away from our sponsor! He was reasonable quick last year so I'd be hoping that in a few weeks he will be back flying again.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 828 - 12/02/2019 10:55:45    2164768

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "You based your comments on Galway v Dublin. Thats fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion.The point you were missing is that come championship only about 5 or 6 of that team have a realistic chance of starting.

The jury may well be out in relation to the system of play but you cannot question the bottle displayed by this particular bunch. They passed that test last Sunday and have done so on many other occasions in the past. Kevin deserves credit for getting the win also. He certainly doesn't lack bottle and never lacked it as a player either. The question is have they convinced you that they dont lack bottle anymore. If so, you should say it and admit you got it wrong and move on ."
A good proportion of them were beaten out the gate last year against Dublin.

Walsh has been in the job long enough to be judged on what he has done. Its great he has made up competitive, however we play a terrible brand of football with Shane Walsh occasionally making us worth watching.

how often have we said when Kevin lets them play they will be great. He clearly has no interest in letting them play. Possibly I'm a great romantic but would much rather support a team that trys to win as opposed to one trying not to loose.

Not questioning the players bottle or commitment, but seriously questioning the managers style and ambition.

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 170 - 12/02/2019 11:03:31    2164771

Link

Replying To WunderBar:  "A good proportion of them were beaten out the gate last year against Dublin.

Walsh has been in the job long enough to be judged on what he has done. Its great he has made up competitive, however we play a terrible brand of football with Shane Walsh occasionally making us worth watching.

how often have we said when Kevin lets them play they will be great. He clearly has no interest in letting them play. Possibly I'm a great romantic but would much rather support a team that trys to win as opposed to one trying not to loose.

Not questioning the players bottle or commitment, but seriously questioning the managers style and ambition."
For match against Kerry, I hope Big Kevin shows players article Brolly wrote. It should provide motivation.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1437 - 12/02/2019 11:59:14    2164793

Link

Replying To WunderBar:  "A good proportion of them were beaten out the gate last year against Dublin.

Not questioning the players bottle or commitment, but seriously questioning the managers style and ambition."
I agree, we were well beaten last year against Dublin. Good post. Kevin spoke after that game about chances we failed to convert. Missing penalty and another simple goal chance when comer intercepted a cluxton kick out. This contributed to the heavy defeat but the biggest reason was our rigid defensive system.

What Kevin failed to see or indeed recognise was that Dublin wiped out our half back line in the second half. That's no disrespect to the lads who lined out on the half back line but we were totally outclassed in.that department and Dublin ran at us in waves. That issue has to be addressed above everything else.

Molloy sat on the bench that day and was brought on for the last 10 minutrs. It was bizarre stuff. Our full back line was totally exposed Only Sean Andy and kerins should hold there places at the back. This year If you throw in silke, wall, Daly and Molloy then it's a whole different ball game.

As defenders these guys are in a different league completely. Each of these guys have to start or the same collapse will occur again. Kevin has to learn that lesson.

I am no fan of the system of play at present. It appears that no matter who we are playing or even if we are playing with a hurricane at our backs, the defensive system remains in place and we park the bus. Again, Kevin needs to address that and let the handbrake go when we have teams on the rack and wind at our backs.

Winning the all ireland will come down to the system of play adopted, trusting the players to let them express themselves and crucially putting our best 15 out on the pitch.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 86 - 12/02/2019 17:07:20    2164916

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "Duane played centre forward.... not sure that would be a wise position for SAC..."
I actually thought he was playing full back as well until i spoke to someone who was at the game. Brolly made the comment that highlights distort a game .I would argue that judging a game by TV or an individuals performance by tv is futile and unless Brolly/O'Rourke/Dolan are at the game ,their comments should be taken with a pinch of salt..I thought Johnny was full back and there is no way watching it on TV you would have been any the wiser.

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 280 - 12/02/2019 17:34:31    2164921

Link

Sean Kelly spent a fair bit of time in at fullback to the above poster.

Where's the poster who reckons Kerin wasn't up to it? We all know his limitations in possession but as a tight marking corner back there's not to many better in the country. He kept McManus very quiet and was very unlucky to give away one free near the end, McManus bought it. He also made a couple of brilliant interceptions in front of McManus.

A brilliant result considering all the lads we had missing. In my book SA Kelly, Silke, Comer & Burke are 4 of Galways best players and potential all stars this year whilst McDaid will be considered a top footballer by the end of the year and then we only got to see Michael Daly for the last 15 minutes. Then when you add in missing Conroy, Kyne & Brannigan all good div 1 players along with the Wall & Molloy who look like they have the tools to become good Galways players.

O'Laoi showed up very well too, did far better than expected by anyone.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 181 - 12/02/2019 17:35:18    2164922

Link

Sean Kelly was full back at the throw in start of the second half, saw Wynne manning the position and J Daly at different stages.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 180 - 12/02/2019 18:12:54    2164934

Link