Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Hurling 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Flash27:  "Living close to the border and going to club matches in both counties I think ye both have some good points. As regards clubs I think kiltale would prob be very close to the level of the top 3 in Westmeath but just not quite a there level bit would definitely be ahead of LLg. Its prob after kiltale that things get a bit closer. The next 4 or 5 clubs in Meath would prob be about the gales level ie. Trim Kildalkey Ratoath Killyon and Longwood. Maybe some of these might be closer to Pollard level but in or around that I would say. Its prob after that that the level in Meath might get ahead of Westmeath. So to say most clubs in meath would beat Westmeath is not really right I don't think. Also I think there is plenty of challenge matches between teams on both side as someone said Kiltale regularly do also know Trim, Kildalkey, Killyon definitely do and prob a couple of others."
Evidence speaks for itself
Meath have beaten Westmeath at underage hurling at every level almost for past 4/5 years.
Clubs in Meath get twice as many underage hurling games and their underage squads are run very well. Same cannot be said for our own county
Most senior clubs in Westmeath would not get near the Leinster intermediate club title.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1654 - 02/10/2019 16:45:15    2240979

Link

Replying To Flash27:  "Living close to the border and going to club matches in both counties I think ye both have some good points. As regards clubs I think kiltale would prob be very close to the level of the top 3 in Westmeath but just not quite a there level bit would definitely be ahead of LLg. Its prob after kiltale that things get a bit closer. The next 4 or 5 clubs in Meath would prob be about the gales level ie. Trim Kildalkey Ratoath Killyon and Longwood. Maybe some of these might be closer to Pollard level but in or around that I would say. Its prob after that that the level in Meath might get ahead of Westmeath. So to say most clubs in meath would beat Westmeath is not really right I don't think. Also I think there is plenty of challenge matches between teams on both side as someone said Kiltale regularly do also know Trim, Kildalkey, Killyon definitely do and prob a couple of others."
I'd say that's a fair assessment. Crookedwood were soundly beaten by Na Fianna in the Leinster junior junior championship last year despite Crookedwood being Westmeath intermediate champions.

35OLT (USA) - Posts: 23 - 02/10/2019 17:31:46    2240993

Link

Gaels beat them teams regularly

westmeathgaa11 (Westmeath) - Posts: 22 - 02/10/2019 19:47:52    2241016

Link

Replying To westmeathgaa11:  "Gaels beat them teams regularly"
Don't know where u get your info from Kiltale beat gaels well enough the last time they played they also beat Raharney last year just before semi final now I'm not saying they as good as raharney just saying that's what happened. I'm involved with a different club who wouldn't be at Kiltales level and they beat the Gaels and pollard last year so if you goin to come out with something at least let it be the truth.

Flash27 (Meath) - Posts: 54 - 02/10/2019 20:48:48    2241041

Link

Replying To 35OLT:  "I'd say that's a fair assessment. Crookedwood were soundly beaten by Na Fianna in the Leinster junior junior championship last year despite Crookedwood being Westmeath intermediate champions."
Yes that's true but in fairness Na Fianna are quite a good side and have proved that this year by making the quarter finals in their first year but I agree with you the teams from 6-12 in Meath would be ahead of these in Westmeath but top 3 in Westmeath ahead of those in Meath

Flash27 (Meath) - Posts: 54 - 02/10/2019 20:53:24    2241044

Link

Replying To valley84:  "Evidence speaks for itself
Meath have beaten Westmeath at underage hurling at every level almost for past 4/5 years.
Clubs in Meath get twice as many underage hurling games and their underage squads are run very well. Same cannot be said for our own county
Most senior clubs in Westmeath would not get near the Leinster intermediate club title."
Meath have the edge at the younger age groups from u14 up to minor at the minute but Westmeath still well ahead at u 20 and senior. Was at u20 game in trim last year and Westmeath hammered Meath

Flash27 (Meath) - Posts: 54 - 02/10/2019 20:55:31    2241046

Link

Replying To Flash27:  "Meath have the edge at the younger age groups from u14 up to minor at the minute but Westmeath still well ahead at u 20 and senior. Was at u20 game in trim last year and Westmeath hammered Meath"
Any predictions for senior hurling final?

Any word on the rest of the backroom team for the senior hurlers?

Who would ye like to see added to panel? The wing back for Raharney was very good, light pacey lad. Clonkill corner forward good aswel.

LockLeanGayl (Westmeath) - Posts: 16 - 09/10/2019 00:17:10    2242231

Link

Replying To LockLeanGayl:  "Any predictions for senior hurling final?

Any word on the rest of the backroom team for the senior hurlers?

Who would ye like to see added to panel? The wing back for Raharney was very good, light pacey lad. Clonkill corner forward good aswel."
New players for county I would say McCarthy and Rabbite from Pollard,Murphy from Delvin,Cuneen from Brownstown, Kenny,Anthony Price,Loughlin,and Jordi Smith from Clonkill,Kane, Mcdermott and Maxwell Castletown.
As for Sunday it's hard to call Clonkill were very good against Raharney and have to be slight favourites.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 698 - 14/10/2019 12:36:03    2243374

Link