Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Hurling 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

What is the rule regarding lying or shielding the ball on the ground ? Watching Wexford vs Kilkenny last night, it was a throw ball given for a Wexford player lying on the ball that ultimately resulted in a free for Wexford to level.

Obviously it mattered little in the Westmeath Laois game but still, I'm curious.

dakid (Australia) - Posts: 172 - 16/06/2019 22:24:12    2196102

Link

Replying To dakid:  "What is the rule regarding lying or shielding the ball on the ground ? Watching Wexford vs Kilkenny last night, it was a throw ball given for a Wexford player lying on the ball that ultimately resulted in a free for Wexford to level.

Obviously it mattered little in the Westmeath Laois game but still, I'm curious."
I'm not certain on the actual rule but can only draw on my own experiences. I've seen players fall on top of the ball and refs have quickly given throw ins to avoid the player being accidentally (or otherwise) struck by a stray hurley. Same goes for rucks forming with no sign of the ball coming out.

gedupoutofit (Westmeath) - Posts: 60 - 17/06/2019 09:40:00    2196245

Link

The club secretary just told me that the football league finals have been put back a week to "give the teams involved the best opportunity of having all players available to them". But the hurling Division 1 and 2 league finals have been fixed for 28th June, two days before the Joe McDonagh final, is this to make sure county hurlers can't play in these finals? Add to this that Clonkill are in the D1 final and are in a strong position to make the D2 final, as far as I know there is a overlap of 7 or 8 players on their teams. The Division 3A and 3B finals are on Sunday 23rd in Cusack Park, Brigid's are in the 3A final and could make the 3B final. Were these fixtures sent up from Craggy Island.

stonemadbeany (USA) - Posts: 371 - 17/06/2019 11:13:19    2196321

Link

Not sure how the draw breaks out for the McDonagh winner/loser vs 3rd placed teams in the Leinster/Munster championships, but I'd take Cork in Cusack Park before Dublin. Dublin have been consistent and depending on which Cork team shows up in Mullingar on the day, there's a chance of an upset there.
A good year so far for the hurlers even if they have been blowing a bit hot and cold, they've managed to grind out some good results.

35OLT (USA) - Posts: 20 - 17/06/2019 14:54:23    2196549

Link

Replying To 35OLT:  "Not sure how the draw breaks out for the McDonagh winner/loser vs 3rd placed teams in the Leinster/Munster championships, but I'd take Cork in Cusack Park before Dublin. Dublin have been consistent and depending on which Cork team shows up in Mullingar on the day, there's a chance of an upset there.
A good year so far for the hurlers even if they have been blowing a bit hot and cold, they've managed to grind out some good results."
Winners face Dublin, Losers face Cork on weekend 6th/7th July. Seems harsh to have the game the week after, winners cant fully celebrate winning

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 17/06/2019 15:51:24    2196601

Link

I'd fancy us to give the Dubs a rattle.
It's all structured for the top tier counties anyway

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1599 - 17/06/2019 16:17:21    2196622

Link

Replying To stonemadbeany:  "The club secretary just told me that the football league finals have been put back a week to "give the teams involved the best opportunity of having all players available to them". But the hurling Division 1 and 2 league finals have been fixed for 28th June, two days before the Joe McDonagh final, is this to make sure county hurlers can't play in these finals? Add to this that Clonkill are in the D1 final and are in a strong position to make the D2 final, as far as I know there is a overlap of 7 or 8 players on their teams. The Division 3A and 3B finals are on Sunday 23rd in Cusack Park, Brigid's are in the 3A final and could make the 3B final. Were these fixtures sent up from Craggy Island."
There's no pleasing some people. The leagues are A secondary completion to be played without cvounty players. So Yes, I assume the fixtures are to ensure the County players dont play. What about it. The championship is another league based competition and the club year starts in earnest when it starts.

midfield9 (Westmeath) - Posts: 14 - 17/06/2019 20:32:44    2196761

Link

dublin are a different animal now under mattie kenny compared to cunningham..if they had have been the same as when cunningham was in charge i would fancy an upset...but whoever westmeath will be playing now its going to be very tough

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 381 - 17/06/2019 23:01:53    2196854

Link

Replying To midfield9:  "There's no pleasing some people. The leagues are A secondary completion to be played without cvounty players. So Yes, I assume the fixtures are to ensure the County players dont play. What about it. The championship is another league based competition and the club year starts in earnest when it starts."
So why are the football league finals postponed? That's my point...

stonemadbeany (USA) - Posts: 371 - 17/06/2019 23:06:41    2196860

Link