Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Hurling 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

What is the rule regarding lying or shielding the ball on the ground ? Watching Wexford vs Kilkenny last night, it was a throw ball given for a Wexford player lying on the ball that ultimately resulted in a free for Wexford to level.

Obviously it mattered little in the Westmeath Laois game but still, I'm curious.

dakid (Australia) - Posts: 221 - 16/06/2019 22:24:12    2196102

Link

Replying To dakid:  "What is the rule regarding lying or shielding the ball on the ground ? Watching Wexford vs Kilkenny last night, it was a throw ball given for a Wexford player lying on the ball that ultimately resulted in a free for Wexford to level.

Obviously it mattered little in the Westmeath Laois game but still, I'm curious."
I'm not certain on the actual rule but can only draw on my own experiences. I've seen players fall on top of the ball and refs have quickly given throw ins to avoid the player being accidentally (or otherwise) struck by a stray hurley. Same goes for rucks forming with no sign of the ball coming out.

gedupoutofit (Westmeath) - Posts: 62 - 17/06/2019 09:40:00    2196245

Link

The club secretary just told me that the football league finals have been put back a week to "give the teams involved the best opportunity of having all players available to them". But the hurling Division 1 and 2 league finals have been fixed for 28th June, two days before the Joe McDonagh final, is this to make sure county hurlers can't play in these finals? Add to this that Clonkill are in the D1 final and are in a strong position to make the D2 final, as far as I know there is a overlap of 7 or 8 players on their teams. The Division 3A and 3B finals are on Sunday 23rd in Cusack Park, Brigid's are in the 3A final and could make the 3B final. Were these fixtures sent up from Craggy Island.

stonemadbeany (USA) - Posts: 375 - 17/06/2019 11:13:19    2196321

Link

Not sure how the draw breaks out for the McDonagh winner/loser vs 3rd placed teams in the Leinster/Munster championships, but I'd take Cork in Cusack Park before Dublin. Dublin have been consistent and depending on which Cork team shows up in Mullingar on the day, there's a chance of an upset there.
A good year so far for the hurlers even if they have been blowing a bit hot and cold, they've managed to grind out some good results.

35OLT (USA) - Posts: 22 - 17/06/2019 14:54:23    2196549

Link

Replying To 35OLT:  "Not sure how the draw breaks out for the McDonagh winner/loser vs 3rd placed teams in the Leinster/Munster championships, but I'd take Cork in Cusack Park before Dublin. Dublin have been consistent and depending on which Cork team shows up in Mullingar on the day, there's a chance of an upset there.
A good year so far for the hurlers even if they have been blowing a bit hot and cold, they've managed to grind out some good results."
Winners face Dublin, Losers face Cork on weekend 6th/7th July. Seems harsh to have the game the week after, winners cant fully celebrate winning

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 240 - 17/06/2019 15:51:24    2196601

Link

I'd fancy us to give the Dubs a rattle.
It's all structured for the top tier counties anyway

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1634 - 17/06/2019 16:17:21    2196622

Link

Replying To stonemadbeany:  "The club secretary just told me that the football league finals have been put back a week to "give the teams involved the best opportunity of having all players available to them". But the hurling Division 1 and 2 league finals have been fixed for 28th June, two days before the Joe McDonagh final, is this to make sure county hurlers can't play in these finals? Add to this that Clonkill are in the D1 final and are in a strong position to make the D2 final, as far as I know there is a overlap of 7 or 8 players on their teams. The Division 3A and 3B finals are on Sunday 23rd in Cusack Park, Brigid's are in the 3A final and could make the 3B final. Were these fixtures sent up from Craggy Island."
There's no pleasing some people. The leagues are A secondary completion to be played without cvounty players. So Yes, I assume the fixtures are to ensure the County players dont play. What about it. The championship is another league based competition and the club year starts in earnest when it starts.

midfield9 (Westmeath) - Posts: 20 - 17/06/2019 20:32:44    2196761

Link

dublin are a different animal now under mattie kenny compared to cunningham..if they had have been the same as when cunningham was in charge i would fancy an upset...but whoever westmeath will be playing now its going to be very tough

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 425 - 17/06/2019 23:01:53    2196854

Link

Replying To midfield9:  "There's no pleasing some people. The leagues are A secondary completion to be played without cvounty players. So Yes, I assume the fixtures are to ensure the County players dont play. What about it. The championship is another league based competition and the club year starts in earnest when it starts."
So why are the football league finals postponed? That's my point...

stonemadbeany (USA) - Posts: 375 - 17/06/2019 23:06:41    2196860

Link

Week to go, how to we see it turning out? Laois with a full strength team is a big ask. Quietly confident though

dakid (Australia) - Posts: 221 - 23/06/2019 10:00:23    2198856

Link

Depends on what westmeath team shows up really. Laois seem to be going well under Eddie Brennan. Last game was shadow boxing really. If they show up they could take them but Laois would have to start as favourites. More consistent in the group stages. Is Eoin price still on the panel? Was westmeaths best player in the final last year. Need the strongest team out.

overdabar (Westmeath) - Posts: 209 - 23/06/2019 12:13:15    2198903

Link

Laois hot favorites at 2 to 1 on Westmeath 11 to 5 with the bookies. We will have to play at the top of our game Laois look very strong in half forwards but this team when in the mood can win.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 679 - 24/06/2019 07:17:34    2199581

Link

Replying To jobber:  "Laois hot favorites at 2 to 1 on Westmeath 11 to 5 with the bookies. We will have to play at the top of our game Laois look very strong in half forwards but this team when in the mood can win."
I hope so.
When was the last game that they hurled well from start to finish?
Last year v Laois?

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1634 - 24/06/2019 21:05:30    2200274

Link

Replying To valley84:  "I hope so.
When was the last game that they hurled well from start to finish?
Last year v Laois?"
They hurled well that day no doubt I thought they did so in Dunloy as well. Its getting nervy now its a huge game for is let's do it Iar Mhi

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 679 - 28/06/2019 14:11:28    2202091

Link

Very best of luck to the hurlers today. It won't be east to beat a reinvigorated laois but it is definitely within their compass. Great to be playing in croke park and hopefully they can grab the promotion spot for next year's championship. Whether it's cork or Dublin after today's I'm sure the playes and management will give that game a real lash as well. You never know what can happen. We have a smashing group of players and with a bit of luck on the day we can pull off a shock. Today first though.. so lets see a good westmeath crowd in croker watching us put laois on their arse

d7h (Westmeath) - Posts: 27 - 30/06/2019 10:42:58    2202749

Link

Replying To d7h:  "Very best of luck to the hurlers today. It won't be east to beat a reinvigorated laois but it is definitely within their compass. Great to be playing in croke park and hopefully they can grab the promotion spot for next year's championship. Whether it's cork or Dublin after today's I'm sure the playes and management will give that game a real lash as well. You never know what can happen. We have a smashing group of players and with a bit of luck on the day we can pull off a shock. Today first though.. so lets see a good westmeath crowd in croker watching us put laois on their arse"
Awful performance didn't do ourselves any justice at all.Laois better apparently fitter and tactically better clued in.We lost our two goalkeepers from National League there needs to be serious questions asked about that.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 679 - 01/07/2019 09:41:39    2203290

Link

Why should there be questions re losing two keepers? Lynch has been excellent since taking over. Paddy Carroll was unhappy after being dropped for league final and left the squad. No big deal. Strange to focus on a keeper issue after being comprehensively beaten. Our starting forwards scored 1 point from play outside our only outstanding forward. Hardly championship winning material. Carlow last year and Laois this year have simply had better forwards. Watch club championship shortly and see what inter county material we have forwards wise. One of our selectors is still one of the best four forwards in the county but there's no future in playing 36 year olds. This squad has had a very good year, promotion and only lost McDonagh final.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 75 - 01/07/2019 11:05:08    2203399

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "Why should there be questions re losing two keepers? Lynch has been excellent since taking over. Paddy Carroll was unhappy after being dropped for league final and left the squad. No big deal. Strange to focus on a keeper issue after being comprehensively beaten. Our starting forwards scored 1 point from play outside our only outstanding forward. Hardly championship winning material. Carlow last year and Laois this year have simply had better forwards. Watch club championship shortly and see what inter county material we have forwards wise. One of our selectors is still one of the best four forwards in the county but there's no future in playing 36 year olds. This squad has had a very good year, promotion and only lost McDonagh final."
I am not denying we have had a decent year but the comparison on Rowlands puck outs in comparison to Lynchs was abismal.It was indeed a very big deal and made a huge difference.I hope Lynch can improve on that aspect of his game but losing Carroll and Mchugh in a small county like ours smacks of carelessness.i agree our forwards were very poor.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 679 - 01/07/2019 17:10:57    2203751

Link

We had problems all over the pitch. Laois won nearly every ruck and breaking ball. We weren't physical enough and couldn't win any ball in the air. Our goalie had no puck out options. If he went long then Laois gobbled it up and the short ones didn't go to plan. Lynch is young and will improve from the experience this year. Else where we are suffering from a lack of competition for places. Killian Doyle is the only player who's form has improved this year. Our captain is solid at number 6 and Dara Egerton will improve. The other 4 starting backs struggled at times in this competition.
Up front we are struggling to find forwards who can win their own ball. Mitchell was a huge loss to this team.
If you look around the county there aren't many players who could step in. Higgins from Castlepollard has the size and ability but isn't interested. Alan Clune from Delvin maybe. Apart from those 2 I can't think of any other player not involved who would be good enough to make a difference. We're stuck with trying to improve what we have.

midfield9 (Westmeath) - Posts: 20 - 01/07/2019 17:46:36    2203784

Link

Replying To jobber:  "I am not denying we have had a decent year but the comparison on Rowlands puck outs in comparison to Lynchs was abismal.It was indeed a very big deal and made a huge difference.I hope Lynch can improve on that aspect of his game but losing Carroll and Mchugh in a small county like ours smacks of carelessness.i agree our forwards were very poor."
It's amazing how the hurlers on the ditch always find ways to pick out the negatives of the game. Lynch's long puckouts in the first half found all there targets because the forwards were looking the ball, they wanted it. In the second half Laois stepped up there game at the back and got numbers in around the breaks and westmeaths forwards didn't want to know about the ball coming to them. Rowland's half forward line only stopped moving on the 75th minute when the game was over and that was the difference in the puckouts. And as regards to the two other keepers that were on the panel one left because he wasn't happy and the other was told to leave because of disciplinary reasons so unless you have a full insight into what's going on in the camp don't be looking for excuses here and there. Laois were the better team on the day far hungrier and they wanted it more.

Westmeathk (Westmeath) - Posts: 6 - 01/07/2019 19:16:51    2203858

Link