Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Hurling 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Offaly were shocking poor and they had little to no support, first touch was non exist and they made us look like tipp or Kilkenny allowing us to showboat but not In anyway taking away from our Lad's, but way tougher games ahead v antrim and laois but expect to be in the shake-up, Sunday game is a total joke with no coverage this second tier is just not recognised apart from cats and tribes munster is the money

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 20/05/2019 00:43:00    2185718

Link

Replying To midfield9:  "Great win today for minors. Showed great heart throughout."
Massive win keeps us in tier 2 next year. They have improved hugely over the past few months

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 678 - 20/05/2019 04:12:40    2185726

Link

Replying To rogerdodger:  "Offaly were shocking poor and they had little to no support, first touch was non exist and they made us look like tipp or Kilkenny allowing us to showboat but not In anyway taking away from our Lad's, but way tougher games ahead v antrim and laois but expect to be in the shake-up, Sunday game is a total joke with no coverage this second tier is just not recognised apart from cats and tribes munster is the money"
that's why we need to be up in the top tier.
I think we'd give Dublin a fair rattle

manfromdelmonte (UK) - Posts: 541 - 20/05/2019 11:15:04    2185826

Link

Replying To manfromdelmonte:  "that's why we need to be up in the top tier.
I think we'd give Dublin a fair rattle"
that's why we need to be up in the top tier.

I'd like to see this happen.

Congrats on the solid win and good luck for the rest of the competition.

UpOffaly (Offaly) - Posts: 54 - 20/05/2019 16:44:44    2185977

Link

Replying To UpOffaly:  "that's why we need to be up in the top tier.

I'd like to see this happen.

Congrats on the solid win and good luck for the rest of the competition."
Thanks the same to yourselves I see Joachim Kelly is taking over you guys.We have to think about nothing else but Kerry or we will land on our arse mighty quick.The winter is for dreaming

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 678 - 20/05/2019 23:11:17    2186124

Link

Jobber was right, we got ahead of ourselves, yet again, totally deserved victory for Kerry, Shane Conway was easily best player on field. We had one forward who could trouble them, our starting forward line scored 1 point from play outside Killian Doyle, strength of our bench found wanting again with the exception of Shane power and Darragh Clinton briefly. Strange managerial decisions at half time making three subs. We have it all to do now facing Antrim and Laois away.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 75 - 25/05/2019 18:24:16    2187319

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "Jobber was right, we got ahead of ourselves, yet again, totally deserved victory for Kerry, Shane Conway was easily best player on field. We had one forward who could trouble them, our starting forward line scored 1 point from play outside Killian Doyle, strength of our bench found wanting again with the exception of Shane power and Darragh Clinton briefly. Strange managerial decisions at half time making three subs. We have it all to do now facing Antrim and Laois away."
Yet again we fail to build on a big win. We are the most deluded county in Ireland. Yes we have high quality players but if we are not 100℅ focused on any game in Joe Mcdonagh we will lose. Kerry were like lunatics and their bench got away with murder but our performance didn't deserve to win. Antrim in the glens is now huge and if there is even a hint of not being totally focused it will be bye bye Croke Park

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 678 - 27/05/2019 07:36:19    2187939

Link

Forwards carried by Killian Doyle again. Offaly seem to just be poorer than expected.
Agree that subs at half time were strange and a bit drastic, although Clinton and Price played well when introduced.
Puck outs were an issue, strong breeze but still Lynchs puck outs were poor. Thought Lynch was good bar that.
Gary Greville should of been put on Shane Conway.
Antrim game is critical now. Expect to see some changes in the starting 15 with Price, Clinton and Power all likely to start IMO.

dakid (Australia) - Posts: 221 - 27/05/2019 11:12:24    2188038

Link

Against the wind we really struggled to get the ball up the pitch in the second half. Kerry turned over ball and then pinged some fine long range scores while uncontested. We also were asleep to several Kerry short puckouts in the 2nd half where again they pinged long range points uncontested. We lost our shape a bit at times and Doyle kept us in the game.

Despite all this it was a draw going into injury time. Even with an extra man for the bulk of the second half Westmeath couldn't get on top. Kerry were hungrier, sharper and more aggressive all round. They deserved to grind out a win.

Two huge games coming up. We're definitely capable of taking scalps in both games but our record away against Laois doesn't bode well.

gedupoutofit (Westmeath) - Posts: 62 - 27/05/2019 15:13:14    2188166

Link

Offaly U20s have brought us back to reality pretty quick.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1634 - 27/05/2019 22:14:52    2188350

Link

Simple as this . The team believed their own hype after the offaly game . They were as the footballers were way off the pace . I don't think they will make the final unless the intensity shown against offaly returns

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1151 - 28/05/2019 05:35:22    2188386

Link

I wasn't overly surprised with Kerry winning, let's not forget we only narrowly beat them in the league final,they needed to win and wanted it more. Three subs at halftime was severe but should some of these subs be starting the next day? It's a long trip up to wherever the Antrim game is but I believe we can get the win up there and then see where we stand. But serious analysis needs to be done on the Kerry game, some lads that wear blue club jersies were lucky to last the game imo.

stonemadbeany (USA) - Posts: 375 - 28/05/2019 13:23:24    2188494

Link

Replying To stonemadbeany:  "I wasn't overly surprised with Kerry winning, let's not forget we only narrowly beat them in the league final,they needed to win and wanted it more. Three subs at halftime was severe but should some of these subs be starting the next day? It's a long trip up to wherever the Antrim game is but I believe we can get the win up there and then see where we stand. But serious analysis needs to be done on the Kerry game, some lads that wear blue club jersies were lucky to last the game imo."
Look at the selectors and their clubs

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1634 - 28/05/2019 15:41:05    2188544

Link

Replying To valley84:  "Look at the selectors and their clubs"
Tell us more valley ? Who are they and where are they from ?

dakid (Australia) - Posts: 221 - 28/05/2019 18:55:24    2188586

Link

Big blow to our hopes with Niall Mitchell injured for remaining matches and apparently heading stateside for the summer. His form vs Offaly was outstanding and he will be hard replaced.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 75 - 30/05/2019 20:51:22    2189228

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "Big blow to our hopes with Niall Mitchell injured for remaining matches and apparently heading stateside for the summer. His form vs Offaly was outstanding and he will be hard replaced."
Extraordinary how players play all winter in Nhl and dissappear for the championship. Management and team mates must be very Dissapointed with that lack of team spirit.With that attitude in place it's easy to see why Carlow made the step up and in all probability Laois or Antrim will do this year.With Antrim win today it's very hard to see us winning in Dunloy.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 678 - 01/06/2019 23:58:22    2189702

Link

Replying To stonemadbeany:  "I wasn't overly surprised with Kerry winning, let's not forget we only narrowly beat them in the league final,they needed to win and wanted it more. Three subs at halftime was severe but should some of these subs be starting the next day? It's a long trip up to wherever the Antrim game is but I believe we can get the win up there and then see where we stand. But serious analysis needs to be done on the Kerry game, some lads that wear blue club jersies were lucky to last the game imo."
i was at the antrim v offaly game in o connor park . while offaly did improve they couldnt match antrim for skill or fitness . going on our display v kerry i wont be surprised if antrim beat us . with the hurlers its all about attitude and if they are not tuned in then antrim will win

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1151 - 02/06/2019 09:50:35    2189726

Link

People have lives to live outside hurling. You can't expect them to hang around all their lives just to play an amateur game. These players train hard, they sacrifice in other aspects of their life all year long so let them travel if they want. If they were professional it'd be different . Anyway all these Joe McDonagh teams are capable of beating each other on their day. It's gonna be a close game but hopefully Westmeath shade it.

RadioactiveTan (UK) - Posts: 10 - 02/06/2019 15:25:09    2189800

Link

Westmeath are definitely Good enough to beat Antrim but going up to the north of the county to a small club ground is going to be extremely hard....the team has the talent, its the attitude that needs to be addressed now,,,,there was obviously a lot of complacency in the Kerry game...teams like Antrim and Kerry should be beaten by half a dozen points or more at this stage.

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 425 - 03/06/2019 12:32:21    2190144

Link

Replying To preddan:  "Westmeath are definitely Good enough to beat Antrim but going up to the north of the county to a small club ground is going to be extremely hard....the team has the talent, its the attitude that needs to be addressed now,,,,there was obviously a lot of complacency in the Kerry game...teams like Antrim and Kerry should be beaten by half a dozen points or more at this stage."
Against Offaly and Kerry Doyle scored 2 23 where as the other starting forwards have only scored 2 5 between them
So you will beat nobody by half a dozen points with those stats

RAHKILL (Westmeath) - Posts: 385 - 03/06/2019 18:31:03    2190269

Link