Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Hurling 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To mickcunningham:  "no paddy carroll , jogger or doyle twins . all injured or a bit of disharmony in squad . anyone know"
I expect 3 of above to start! Jogger has been injured but I'd be surprised if he doesn't start.

I'm on the way to Ennis and hopefully the hurlers get the support they deserve which could be a historic day for hurling in Westmeath.

Matthew (None) - Posts: 894 - 10/03/2019 11:04:39    2171365

Link

Finally got up to division 1! Well done to all. Dogged out the result in atrocious conditions. Had a strong second half wind so I was reasonably confident at half time.

overdabar (Westmeath) - Posts: 208 - 10/03/2019 16:01:51    2171412

Link

Delighted that I made the long drive to Ennis! This team had to deliver today and they sure did. What a performance by Killian Doyle. It was very tough conditions for hurling. We were very lucky to have the wind in second half. This win is absolutely huge for hurling in the county and I'm delighted for the players. Fair play to Joe for getting them over the line today also!

Now it's the footballers turn to two games to get promoted also!!

Matthew (None) - Posts: 894 - 10/03/2019 16:49:08    2171431

Link

Well done, neighbours, now stay there for a few years if at all possible.

MillerX (Meath) - Posts: 548 - 10/03/2019 16:57:14    2171434

Link

Delighted that I made the long drive to Ennis! This team had to deliver today and they sure did. What a performance by Killian Doyle. It was very tough conditions for hurling. We were very lucky to have the wind in second half. This win is absolutely huge for hurling in the county and I'm delighted for the players. Fair play to Joe for getting them over the line today also!

Now it's the footballers turn to win two games to get promoted also!!

Matthew (None) - Posts: 894 - 10/03/2019 17:13:03    2171438

Link

Well done and much deserved after our 2 final wins over you last year.

Division 1 will bring on both Westmeath and Carlow and it's where both counties need to be.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 952 - 10/03/2019 20:28:26    2171498

Link

Congrats on finally reaching div 1 today.. No play offs thankfully and straight up westmeath go... Ye are probably 2 or 3 years late as I expected westmeath to have tasted 1b experience by now but better late than never, first time since 86/87 league which is massive for hurling in the county... Think of someone like Cork now coming to mullingar and having a go off them... Is Niall ó Brien still involved i don't seem to hear him mentioned much.. Team can still play better

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 389 - 10/03/2019 21:49:07    2171516

Link

Just fantastic that the hurlers have pushed on and finally gotten up to division 1. This current crop of lads might be the closest thing to a 'golden generation' of hurlers the we've ever had and formed greatly around the backbone of the very competitive minor and u21 teams of the past few years.
THey'll have a tough landing in 2020 with the way the new groups have been sorted out, but I imagine the lads will relish the chance to have a cut at the top teams in the country.
The other group contains carlow/laois/Dublin who would have been the mostly likely teams they could pick off.
All the best to the team looking forward and onwards to the McDonagh cup!

35OLT (USA) - Posts: 21 - 10/03/2019 22:22:26    2171530

Link

Replying To preddan:  "Congrats on finally reaching div 1 today.. No play offs thankfully and straight up westmeath go... Ye are probably 2 or 3 years late as I expected westmeath to have tasted 1b experience by now but better late than never, first time since 86/87 league which is massive for hurling in the county... Think of someone like Cork now coming to mullingar and having a go off them... Is Niall ó Brien still involved i don't seem to hear him mentioned much.. Team can still play better"
Niall O Brien is working abroad. Westmeath can play a lot better than today and hopefully they drive on in the McDonagh cup.

Matthew (None) - Posts: 894 - 10/03/2019 22:47:29    2171533

Link

Replying To MillerX:  "Well done, neighbours, now stay there for a few years if at all possible."
Thanks a great day for Westmeath hurling .Your fellas have been improveing as well and can lift Christy Ring .We finally came up with the goods in a final so roll on Joe Mconagh

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 642 - 11/03/2019 05:21:49    2171556

Link

Well done to all

The_Biler (Westmeath) - Posts: 82 - 11/03/2019 17:24:18    2171695

Link

Such a pity RTE didnt bother cover the game at all. Find it fairly frustrating that the media are all focus on the fall of Offaly rather than the progression of Westmeath and Carlow.

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 231 - 12/03/2019 09:27:08    2171796

Link

Replying To martyW:  "Such a pity RTE didnt bother cover the game at all. Find it fairly frustrating that the media are all focus on the fall of Offaly rather than the progression of Westmeath and Carlow."
Its a momentous task that lies ahead Limerick,Galway,Waterford,Tipperary and Cork.Lets hope we get three home games it will be some promotion for hurling.Fitness levels need to go up seriously.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 642 - 21/03/2019 10:00:49    2174127

Link

Replying To jobber:  "Its a momentous task that lies ahead Limerick,Galway,Waterford,Tipperary and Cork.Lets hope we get three home games it will be some promotion for hurling.Fitness levels need to go up seriously."
Why do people always home in on fitness levels as the difference between any divisions in any sport? What about skill levels? Team play levels? Tactical levels? Performance levels?

Croí na hÉirean (Westmeath) - Posts: 71 - 22/03/2019 15:28:25    2174390

Link

Replying To Croí na hÉirean:  "Why do people always home in on fitness levels as the difference between any divisions in any sport? What about skill levels? Team play levels? Tactical levels? Performance levels?"
you just have to look at the difference in conditioning of Westmeath players in comparison to the top county teams (no offence to our lads)
you really only notice this when you actually go to a few games in Munster or Leinster and see how well conditioned they are.
once you can match them in this area then other areas can be improved - eg speed of striking. lads get away with bad habits in club hurling and in Division 2 but will be found out very quickly in the top division

manfromdelmonte (UK) - Posts: 538 - 23/03/2019 09:49:10    2174486

Link

The fitness levels are good and can be improved more, but the conditioning cannot be sorted overnight, these lads need to be going to the gym all year round to bulk up. Height is our main problem, there are very few inter-county hurlers on the top teams under 6 foot (Richie Hogan apart), but the majority of our team is small, Jogger and Aaron Craig look small against the likes of Tipp, Limerick 2 years ago and even Carlow were bigger in most departments than us last year.

stonemadbeany (USA) - Posts: 371 - 23/03/2019 13:38:06    2174512

Link

Replying To stonemadbeany:  "The fitness levels are good and can be improved more, but the conditioning cannot be sorted overnight, these lads need to be going to the gym all year round to bulk up. Height is our main problem, there are very few inter-county hurlers on the top teams under 6 foot (Richie Hogan apart), but the majority of our team is small, Jogger and Aaron Craig look small against the likes of Tipp, Limerick 2 years ago and even Carlow were bigger in most departments than us last year."
We certainly could use the likes of Varley, Gallagher, Higgins, Niall O Brien for a bit of size and Eoin Price would be another addition. Anyone else?

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 642 - 27/03/2019 23:04:48    2175927

Link

I see the intermediate hurling championship started last night.
Without even a mention on the county board facebook or Twitter and the game was not even listed on the official Westmeath website.
And the result is not even available on any of them either!

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1608 - 17/04/2019 22:38:24    2179384

Link

Replying To valley84:  "I see the intermediate hurling championship started last night.
Without even a mention on the county board facebook or Twitter and the game was not even listed on the official Westmeath website.
And the result is not even available on any of them either!"
Very poor form for sure. Regardless of grade, championship is supposed to the highlight of a club's season. Alot of good work being done online and long may it continue but the lack of coverage is disappointing. I thought the day of having to rely on the local papers for fixtures was gone.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 611 - 18/04/2019 11:10:17    2179419

Link

Replying To valley84:  "I see the intermediate hurling championship started last night.
And the result is not even available on any of them either!"
For Turin bet Ringtown did they?

The_Biler (Westmeath) - Posts: 82 - 18/04/2019 16:20:19    2179464

Link