Louth Forum

New Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I've followed division 3 and junior championship very closely last year. Take the Westerns/Glyde/Sean's combination for example. How many Sean's or Westerns players are good enough to get on with Glyde?
Tommy Durnin and Peter Osbourne. After that I'm struggling if I'm honest. I think these lads would be hammered vs Blues, Clogher, Jocks.

I still can't see this competition be taking seriously.
The senior championship should never have lost its status as the main competition. Have this new championship instead of the winter leagues and see how it goes but don't just put the Joe Ward as second fiddle to a brand new competition.
Madness.

croker16 (Louth) - Posts: 331 - 17/01/2019 12:27:19    2157738

Link

What's happening here is wrong plain and simple. If a majority votes that should be respected, I can only compare it to say Roscommon who voted against same sex marriage we're not going to respect the national vote or something crazy like that. Respect the vote that is the democratic process.

westyboy (Louth) - Posts: 92 - 17/01/2019 12:44:43    2157744

Link

Replying To westyboy:  "What's happening here is wrong plain and simple. If a majority votes that should be respected, I can only compare it to say Roscommon who voted against same sex marriage we're not going to respect the national vote or something crazy like that. Respect the vote that is the democratic process."
People saying y is it happening in 2019? What's the difference from starting it now to 2020 r 2021, it's working well in other county's so why not start it in Louth?

Roversreturn (Louth) - Posts: 2 - 17/01/2019 13:04:21    2157750

Link

why didn't any senior club just ask to amend the motion at last Monday nights meeting?? all that was needed was a club to propose and second it that we leave it till 2020 season and plan for it or look at other options??? why didn't a senior club just propose and second it that we play it and not for the Joe ward cup ??? I know that the clubs that put forward the motion would have had no problem what so ever in doing this and were totally expecting this to be the outcome. the clubs gave a vision, they also have loads more details regarding this motion and structures but the motion would have been totally lost in the detail. it will be available to the county board first and then sent to clubs if county board see fit.
this wasn't and wont be hard to sort out, the shouting out of boycott this and boycott, the aiming of remarks at the westerns and tommy durnin are fairly harsh, i know for a fact there was a lot more shady stuff happening from certain clubs over the last 4 years trying to get tommy durnin to leave, than the 'shady' motion some people think the 3 clubs have proposed with the westerns name as the club that proposed it. there is defiantly a positive outcome to all this but people and clubs now only have tunnel vision from now to October, how about thinking between now and 2021 on the trial of this and removing the joe ward carrot from this competition, would senior clubs take it seriously then ??? id like to hear a response to that from all the junior club haters. is senior league actually that competitive ?? is there to many senior teams ?? could we cut senior clubs to 8 with a double league and there own senior championship and make this the elite holy grail of Louth GAA?? 10 clubs in inter made up of the weakness senior and strongest inter clubs and junior made up of the weakest inter and strongest junior and then create a new league called novice that would facilitate all the weaker clubs ?? senior inter junior and novice would be unbelievably competitive in both league and championship, with an all county championship to start in 2021 maybe 2022 between 8 top top senior clubs and 8 to 10 amalgamated teams the elite against the rest for a joe ward. would this work?? is this a dream. that's only an thought does anyone else have a solution?? and maybe quit worrying about all the faults??

junior14 (Louth) - Posts: 33 - 17/01/2019 13:21:39    2157758

Link

Replying To Roversreturn:  "People saying y is it happening in 2019? What's the difference from starting it now to 2020 r 2021, it's working well in other county's so why not start it in Louth?"
Common sense, good planning, people already have summer holidays booked, no dates, no dates, no dates. No amalgamtions sorted, have we enough refs, umpires etc etc.
The list goes on, if you want this in you have one chance to do it right, if it's a shambles this year it can be voted out next year....
I'm supprised someone asked that question but there ya go

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 17/01/2019 13:34:37    2157764

Link

Replying To Roversreturn:  "People saying y is it happening in 2019? What's the difference from starting it now to 2020 r 2021, it's working well in other county's so why not start it in Louth?"
Belt away with it but don't change the senior championship to suit. Play this new competition in March/April and give a cup to the winners.
Joe Ward should still be the pinnacle. Senior clubs have worked hard to get there and don't deserve this.

This is totally wrong!!

croker16 (Louth) - Posts: 331 - 17/01/2019 13:39:04    2157768

Link

Why not start it in 2019.

A. Senior Cluubs have been given an opt out. I know of at least 5 who wont be taking part.

Thats the reason!

DundalkGael (Louth) - Posts: 844 - 17/01/2019 13:43:56    2157770

Link

The only junior teams in favour of this are the mid Louth ones. I could safely say the Tones/Nicks/Cuclainn Gaels and other town teams are happy the way the current structure is. These clubs have lost serious talent over the years to senior clubs. The only way for that to stop is by BANNING ALL TRANSFERS.

Smallest county in Ireland and we have i would say one of the highest rates of transfers in the country.

This competition is going to harm the survival of Junior clubs in the county.

Well done Westerns

weehurler (Louth) - Posts: 9 - 17/01/2019 14:02:44    2157774

Link

Do you ever wonder why junior clubs are in disarray?? It's that mentality and attitude where no planning prior to something been implemented can just expect to be carried out with no issues. There is too many unknowns to start a brand new comp in the very same year it's been formed. I'm flabbergasted how you and westyboy can think this will just start and run with every single other competition still going. It's madness. Good luck to anybody planning holidays this year. I know it says the fixtures will go ahead even if Louth do well.... we have all heard that before. This is going to fail. Miserably. Something junior clubs are well used to.

kwiksilver (Louth) - Posts: 105 - 17/01/2019 14:04:55    2157775

Link

Replying To westyboy:  "What's happening here is wrong plain and simple. If a majority votes that should be respected, I can only compare it to say Roscommon who voted against same sex marriage we're not going to respect the national vote or something crazy like that. Respect the vote that is the democratic process."
If the majority of members want to vote again is that not also a democratic process?

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 17/01/2019 14:33:50    2157790

Link

I'm glad other have mentioned holidays. I know of a few lads on my team and rival teams who have organised holidays early to make sure they can focus on championship. As the new proposal reads, they will now likely miss key championship games. This is one of the most important reasons why it should be stalled until 2020. Players (especially lads like this who plan their lives around playing football) deserve better!

And someone else accused senior/intermediate clubs of looking inwardly? Can we just stop pretending that the betterment of Louth football was the primary motivation for this proposal? There is no evidence to suggest that the benefits outlined in the proposal will improve Louth football. That ceiling can only significantly improve by better coaching standards and higher participation levels at underage.

breakingball22 (Louth) - Posts: 393 - 17/01/2019 14:53:32    2157797

Link

Just wondering what the alternative is to this championship? and dont say leave it as it is cause it aint broken. Where talking about tradition, what tradition have wee got we are brutal at every level, Louth are one of the worst counties in Ireland and have been for 60 years, something needs to change. Yes this new proposal has its flaws but these can be fixed all it needs is everyone to buy in and it will work, example being sheelan cup be scrapped, league starts end of january, 2nd teams be allowed compete in division 2/3, players that dont make the all county teams allowed play in junior 2a championship. Maybe it should have been held back too 2020 to iron out these flaws but the westerns cant be blamed for this they put a motion foward and the majority of your clubs delegates voted for it, if there was something they were not sure of then they should have voted no until things where cleard up and brough to the table next year. lets face facts only 3/4 teams have are fit to win a senior championship, same with junior so the rest of the teams are lying idol as it is and have no chance. intermediate id a minefield and is a good standard. 4 of the top 5 sam maguire winners have this structure in place, Kerry,Cork Galway and Meath, theres 4 counties who have tradition and past success, if these can have this championship why will it not work for us? another statement i read why its not a good fit is the nefl and soccer, that should not even be mentioned in a context like this if a player picks soccer over gaelic then soccer is his first sport let him go play soccer, this is providing more quality games for players so it should keep players away from soccer

cameroosh (Louth) - Posts: 60 - 17/01/2019 15:36:37    2157808

Link

If this new championship was played for the joe ward cup would senior teams be happy? and get a new cup for the senior championship

cameroosh (Louth) - Posts: 60 - 17/01/2019 15:38:28    2157810

Link

Replying To cameroosh:  "Just wondering what the alternative is to this championship? and dont say leave it as it is cause it aint broken. Where talking about tradition, what tradition have wee got we are brutal at every level, Louth are one of the worst counties in Ireland and have been for 60 years, something needs to change. Yes this new proposal has its flaws but these can be fixed all it needs is everyone to buy in and it will work, example being sheelan cup be scrapped, league starts end of january, 2nd teams be allowed compete in division 2/3, players that dont make the all county teams allowed play in junior 2a championship. Maybe it should have been held back too 2020 to iron out these flaws but the westerns cant be blamed for this they put a motion foward and the majority of your clubs delegates voted for it, if there was something they were not sure of then they should have voted no until things where cleard up and brough to the table next year. lets face facts only 3/4 teams have are fit to win a senior championship, same with junior so the rest of the teams are lying idol as it is and have no chance. intermediate id a minefield and is a good standard. 4 of the top 5 sam maguire winners have this structure in place, Kerry,Cork Galway and Meath, theres 4 counties who have tradition and past success, if these can have this championship why will it not work for us? another statement i read why its not a good fit is the nefl and soccer, that should not even be mentioned in a context like this if a player picks soccer over gaelic then soccer is his first sport let him go play soccer, this is providing more quality games for players so it should keep players away from soccer"
"This new proposal has its flaws" - bit of an understatement there

"lets face facts only 3/4 teams have are fit to win a senior championship" - how many are fit to win in Kerry? Armagh? Galway? Dublin? Roscommon? Derry? Down? Laois? Westmeath?....how many championships (or sporting competitions for that matter) have more than 1/3rd of the field as legitimate contenders." in 2016 and 2017 most people felt that almost any team could have won senior. The Blues have taken a step ahead now of course but the point remains.

"4 of the top 5 sam maguire winners have this structure in place, Kerry,Cork Galway and Meath" - how can we compare with these counties...especially the first 3. They are way bigger with way more clubs. If success is the reason...why not look more recently, why aren't we mirroring Dublin or Mayo or Tyrone or Donegal. Tried to use a similar league model to Dublin and many junior teams had their nose out of joint...fair enough I suppose. Maybe we should model ourselves on a county with a small populatio who punshes above their weight...and we don't have to look to far. Monaghan have home and away league games...more games for players within their clubs. But many voted against even a watered down version of this. I wonder why?

"Maybe it should have been held back too 2020" - I agree with you on this. Realistically it has to as this new proposal just has not given enough time to iron out details and does not account for the notion that players may have already organised holidays and other commitments. Although, I ultimately think it will not work, I wouldn't be against something in 2020 where there has been time to reflect and produce a competition that complimented the other key competitions but there needs to be a solid plan otherwise its Mickey Mouse time again.

breakingball22 (Louth) - Posts: 393 - 17/01/2019 16:59:50    2157832

Link

Replying To cameroosh:  "If this new championship was played for the joe ward cup would senior teams be happy? and get a new cup for the senior championship"
Senior clubs want to play other senior clubs for the senior championship. You can't just come up with plans to change whole structures just because you haven't been successful. What's next, split the blues in two.
Senior clubs are organising a meeting so just because this was voted it means nothing, most of the people in the county never heard about this till other night. the club delegates if known about this for months should have been put out amongst the players and people that are actuality involved in the game, should have been discussed. If affects to many people not to have been properly debated.spoke to several guys today. 2 have holidays booked for June, thought they'd miss league game now could miss championship.
Is that fair? Fellas that train near all year round, make serious commitments.Catch a grip.
As a secondary competition yes, not the main senior one.

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 17/01/2019 17:16:26    2157834

Link

100 %Agree Gaa Dundalk.
Utter stupidity, not suprising though.

joej (Louth) - Posts: 1503 - 17/01/2019 20:07:16    2157880

Link

I do find it comical that some of the contributers here believe the issue is just a naming thing and that if the new comp was called the Joe Ward Cup all would be right with the world.

Do it correctly. Use this year as the beginning, next year as the formation with an agreed way how to proceed with this tournament. Not this carry on of throw it into the mix and let's see how it falls in 2019. How much of a joke is that? It's no wonder the Louth county board come across as clueless.

Your playing with young men's lives here. Their families, education , there own free social time. Like I have said before. There are too many unknowns to do it this year. Too many moving parts.

It's priceless hearing others say "there will be kinks to iron out" how about no kinks? Do it correctly first time round and people actually might buy into it.

kwiksilver (Louth) - Posts: 105 - 17/01/2019 21:01:11    2157893

Link

Replying To kwiksilver:  "I do find it comical that some of the contributers here believe the issue is just a naming thing and that if the new comp was called the Joe Ward Cup all would be right with the world.

Do it correctly. Use this year as the beginning, next year as the formation with an agreed way how to proceed with this tournament. Not this carry on of throw it into the mix and let's see how it falls in 2019. How much of a joke is that? It's no wonder the Louth county board come across as clueless.

Your playing with young men's lives here. Their families, education , there own free social time. Like I have said before. There are too many unknowns to do it this year. Too many moving parts.

It's priceless hearing others say "there will be kinks to iron out" how about no kinks? Do it correctly first time round and people actually might buy into it."
It's comical how many lads just don't know how the gaa works. People give out, blame, say how things should be without reading the official guide and understanding how it works.

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 17/01/2019 22:14:24    2157913

Link

Also a lot of people saying ah look only 3/4 teams can win senior, so let's change it up. I guarantee you that at least 7/8 senior teams believe they can win it and will do everything possible to do so.
Also the SOM boys showed that the trend can be bucked. They are a small club with little history of titles and they went on a run for 3 years in inter and senior, didn't have a particularly skillful team, just good old fashioned hard work.
Also around the country every year I see the same teams winning senior titles!!! Dr Crokes, Corriffin, Slaughneill there for near 4 years, small parish, Rhode from Offally 10 titles in 13 years tiny parish.
Scotstown, Ballintubber, Portlaoise, Kildare is 2 same clubs Moorefield and Sarsfields.
This is the same in majority of counties ok, didn't even mention Crossmaglen.
If the Blues win in for next 5 years so what? It's up to the 11 other club teams to beat them, just like Dublin the greatest team of all time possibly and people are crying about it, saying it's not fair etc etc. It would make ya cringe listening to it, if ya want your club to do better, get involved, get involved underage, come up with ideas. Don't cry about it and say it's not fair, I seen the Glyde twitter account on full flow today and it's embarrassing, saying clubs at adult happily want to Amalgamate to do better, get away out of that I never heard so much nonsense in my life

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 17/01/2019 22:27:17    2157918

Link

Replying To GAAdundalk:  "Also a lot of people saying ah look only 3/4 teams can win senior, so let's change it up. I guarantee you that at least 7/8 senior teams believe they can win it and will do everything possible to do so.
Also the SOM boys showed that the trend can be bucked. They are a small club with little history of titles and they went on a run for 3 years in inter and senior, didn't have a particularly skillful team, just good old fashioned hard work.
Also around the country every year I see the same teams winning senior titles!!! Dr Crokes, Corriffin, Slaughneill there for near 4 years, small parish, Rhode from Offally 10 titles in 13 years tiny parish.
Scotstown, Ballintubber, Portlaoise, Kildare is 2 same clubs Moorefield and Sarsfields.
This is the same in majority of counties ok, didn't even mention Crossmaglen.
If the Blues win in for next 5 years so what? It's up to the 11 other club teams to beat them, just like Dublin the greatest team of all time possibly and people are crying about it, saying it's not fair etc etc. It would make ya cringe listening to it, if ya want your club to do better, get involved, get involved underage, come up with ideas. Don't cry about it and say it's not fair, I seen the Glyde twitter account on full flow today and it's embarrassing, saying clubs at adult happily want to Amalgamate to do better, get away out of that I never heard so much nonsense in my life"
Well said

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 17/01/2019 23:32:16    2157929

Link