Louth Forum

New Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To woodenhead:  "Another note - for the club players that dont make the amalgamated squad for the all county championship - let these lads play in the respective Junior 2A, 2B, 2C championship with their club. This means they will have football, at the correct standard during the months of august, sept etc"
if they have represented their club already in the Junior, senior or Intermediate championship they will be ineligibile for these competitions so will face into between 5 and 7 months of having no football.

LemonySnickett (Louth) - Posts: 81 - 16/01/2019 12:22:50    2157549

Link

Replying To GAAdundalk:  "Woodenhead, was it you that proposed this? Seems like it, are the Westerns out training since before Christmas like most senior clubs? No I doubt there is a bit of hard work in those lads, this if it goes ahead will be voted out next year, waste of time.
It's like almagamating 3 counties to try and stop Dublin winning, downright embarrassing.
If you want to play senior football, earn your way up. They'll be handing out medals for taking part next, I'll call it like it is. Tommy Durnin wants to leave to go to Ardee and this is what the Westerns came up with.
The 12 senior teams should opt out as is their right and then play for the Joe Ward...problem solved"
You hit the nail on the head it's a club stepping over hundreds of years of values n traditions for one man not to leave there club and yeah all the senior clubs should refuse to play in it big mcgahon has to be stopped getting a championship medal at all costs you have to wonder what type of lads are clubs senting to these meetings that they voted yes on it

bennypoor (Louth) - Posts: 326 - 16/01/2019 12:52:52    2157558

Link

Joe Ward remains flagship c/ship winner represents Louth in Leinster .Scrap Sheelin cup start the league early and fit in the All county cship around Louth matches ,with county players exempt from playing gives the smaller clubs a taste of a higher grade without de-valuing the senior cship. Co Board to tighten up on allowing transfers from junior to bigger clubs.

N08CUTN (Mayo) - Posts: 90 - 16/01/2019 14:22:35    2157580

Link

LOOK LADS !!! This is a Democracy it was voted fairly by a Majority, the lads who are complaining seem to want some sort of Dictatorship run by the elitist Senior clubs, the day for the ordinary GAA man has returned and some feathers are going to be ruffled but if your going to make an omelette you have to break a few "bad" eggs in this case.

westyboy (Louth) - Posts: 92 - 16/01/2019 14:33:11    2157582

Link

Surely the easier solution would have been an official amalgamation between Glyde/Westerns/Sean McDermotts. Start off in junior championship and then work your way up. Competing for seniors within 3 years (if you are good enough)!

breakingball22 (Louth) - Posts: 393 - 16/01/2019 14:45:03    2157583

Link

Replying To westyboy:  "LOOK LADS !!! This is a Democracy it was voted fairly by a Majority, the lads who are complaining seem to want some sort of Dictatorship run by the elitist Senior clubs, the day for the ordinary GAA man has returned and some feathers are going to be ruffled but if your going to make an omelette you have to break a few "bad" eggs in this case."
Dictatorship run by elitist clubs...ha good one.
Look your having good fun trolling away, good luck with it.

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 16/01/2019 14:58:27    2157585

Link

Replying To woodenhead:  "Simple maths -

Based on current structure 4 senior teams, 4 intermdiate teams plus 5 junior teams no champo football after july = 273 players

Based on new structure all the 4 senior teams would get champo football (84 players), 7 players from each of the 4 intermediate teams (28 players) plus 7 players from each of the 5 junior teams (35 players) will get champo after july = 147 players that will get football

So of the 273 players that currently have no championship football in August / Sept, the new proposal will get 147 of them back into training and playing champo games. POSITIVE as it stops them going to other sports."
Wrong, more training, more competitions, more games, disaster scheduling as it is, gonna get worse, less time for holidays, more pressure.
See when you play intermediate there is serious pressure put on players to change holidays, cancel stags etc etc, and when it's senior multiply that by 2or3.

Handy option just go play a bit of soccer

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 16/01/2019 15:11:02    2157587

Link

Lads need to realize it's only going to be about an extra 4 games max you could easily scrap the shields early on and start the league earlier, it works well in Kerry, I seen an example where 2 Valentia players playing division 5 got put into the Kerry squad after winning the senior amalgamated competition a few years back. Would never have been noticed playing in their respected divisions but still get to play majority of games for their childhood clubs.

westyboy (Louth) - Posts: 92 - 16/01/2019 15:32:14    2157590

Link

Replying To westyboy:  "LOOK LADS !!! This is a Democracy it was voted fairly by a Majority, the lads who are complaining seem to want some sort of Dictatorship run by the elitist Senior clubs, the day for the ordinary GAA man has returned and some feathers are going to be ruffled but if your going to make an omelette you have to break a few "bad" eggs in this case."
Elitist! You mean successful clubs who have worked hard to gain their senior status. These amalgamations are already starting to ruin underage with clubs joining up just to chase success. How many senior clubs are amalgamated underage?

Drogexile (Louth) - Posts: 57 - 16/01/2019 15:47:40    2157593

Link

Never seen so much negativity without trying something first. Why not try it for 2 years.
The Junior & intermediate championship continue as normal so cant see a problem there and from what I read the as is senior championship also takes place ??
This set up works well in Kerry for Donkeys years and it gives many players from Junior-Intermediate clubs a chance to play in Kerry Senior final and improves these players to the Benefit of the county team.
It will be interesting to see the amalgamated teams & how many there is? In Kerry the championship is not group based but knockout
Would a Mid Louth team of Mattock/Kevins/Dunleer/Stabannon v Jocks not be an attractive round 1 fixture?

OpenStand (Limerick) - Posts: 179 - 16/01/2019 18:19:53    2157619

Link

Replying To bennypoor:  "Your to easy mate its all about what suits your club at the moment never mind anyone else"
Maybe because my club has done the hard work over the last 10 years along with a lot of the other senior clubs.
As someone else said I bet the westerns weren't training before Xmas not a chance only 4 lads turned up for training session on the Sunday morning the week before they played Roche in c'ship Cathal O Hanlon couldn't believe what he got himself into.

TopDog(lu) (Louth) - Posts: 141 - 16/01/2019 18:29:09    2157620

Link

StIck to hurling below In limerick let us do louth

bennypoor (Louth) - Posts: 326 - 16/01/2019 18:31:25    2157621

Link

Replying To OpenStand:  "Never seen so much negativity without trying something first. Why not try it for 2 years.
The Junior & intermediate championship continue as normal so cant see a problem there and from what I read the as is senior championship also takes place ??
This set up works well in Kerry for Donkeys years and it gives many players from Junior-Intermediate clubs a chance to play in Kerry Senior final and improves these players to the Benefit of the county team.
It will be interesting to see the amalgamated teams & how many there is? In Kerry the championship is not group based but knockout
Would a Mid Louth team of Mattock/Kevins/Dunleer/Stabannon v Jocks not be an attractive round 1 fixture?"
Oh yeah the 30 young lads St Kevins have would love to see 4 or 5 of their team mates play for some made up team. Sure isn't that what the gaa is all about winning megals.

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 16/01/2019 18:36:01    2157623

Link

Replying To OpenStand:  "Never seen so much negativity without trying something first. Why not try it for 2 years.
Would a Mid Louth team of Mattock/Kevins/Dunleer/Stabannon v Jocks not be an attractive round 1 fixture?"
There's not much between jocks & mattock anyway both top 4 teams in Div 1so adding another 3 teams to mattock doesn't put teams on a level playing field.
There's 5 intermediate teams in Div 1 & are well able to play v the other 7 senior teams in that Div
In Louth there is not that big of a gulf between some senior clubs & intermediate clubs.

TopDog(lu) (Louth) - Posts: 141 - 16/01/2019 18:40:26    2157625

Link

Replying To WheresDeBallBag:  "Correct me if I'm wrong top dog there was only two votes against and one vote abstained last year to the reformation of Division 3 League. Hardly the same. What would have made the Senior and inter clubs who made up the 26 vote yes do you think? I'm assuming the jocks weren't one of these?"
I believe every club would of found it's level in league football & improve the standard of football in Div 3. Far to many 1 sided games in Div 3 & it needs to be developed. But the embarrassment of Tommie Westerns & our neighbours Lannlaire losing to a second team was enough for them. They where happier hammering Cu Gaels Nicks Tones D'hill Mitchell's. The other senior clubs & the top intermediate clubs wouldn't know much about how bad Div 3 is because they would have no dealings with it like myself until I was involved in it in 2017.

TopDog(lu) (Louth) - Posts: 141 - 16/01/2019 19:02:41    2157627

Link

Replying To TopDog(lu):  "I believe every club would of found it's level in league football & improve the standard of football in Div 3. Far to many 1 sided games in Div 3 & it needs to be developed. But the embarrassment of Tommie Westerns & our neighbours Lannlaire losing to a second team was enough for them. They where happier hammering Cu Gaels Nicks Tones D'hill Mitchell's. The other senior clubs & the top intermediate clubs wouldn't know much about how bad Div 3 is because they would have no dealings with it like myself until I was involved in it in 2017."
Was it not Dunleer who proposed the split in the league for home and away matches, removing the hammerings and one sided games in Division 3? I think this is good, less in a division means less of a gap between top and bottom. I also remember the problem the junior clubs had was yous went out one week and bet a team by 20 points, usually a top end team, and then lost by 20 points the following week to a lower team. It wasn't who so much was playing it was the fact your second team had no consistency which is understandable as its always second to your first. It was that second teams completely distorted the outcome of the competition. If junior was as bad as you make out yous would have won every game. Yous didn't. Meath have followed suit removing second teams from primary champs. Anyway structure of the league is viable as is for 2019 and should see plenty of pro beyond suiting a player not to leave his home club but champ is no longer. I think you should represent the jocks in Darver some night be great.

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 16/01/2019 21:05:24    2157653

Link

Replying To westyboy:  "Lads need to realize it's only going to be about an extra 4 games max you could easily scrap the shields early on and start the league earlier, it works well in Kerry, I seen an example where 2 Valentia players playing division 5 got put into the Kerry squad after winning the senior amalgamated competition a few years back. Would never have been noticed playing in their respected divisions but still get to play majority of games for their childhood clubs."
I don't think you can just scrap a competition on the fly.

Yea sure Louth championship is great a player from a small club outside Ardee got noticed playing Junior and now plays midfield for Louth seniors. Which may I add is the highest standard and for the elite. Now we have brought this level into our club game in Louth. I believe we have lost the ethos of the gaa where the club serves the community. Not the club serves the best few footballers who should win medals.

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 16/01/2019 21:10:48    2157656

Link

Replying To woodenhead:  "Simple maths -

Based on current structure 4 senior teams, 4 intermdiate teams plus 5 junior teams no champo football after july = 273 players

Based on new structure all the 4 senior teams would get champo football (84 players), 7 players from each of the 4 intermediate teams (28 players) plus 7 players from each of the 5 junior teams (35 players) will get champo after july = 147 players that will get football

So of the 273 players that currently have no championship football in August / Sept, the new proposal will get 147 of them back into training and playing champo games. POSITIVE as it stops them going to other sports."
Yea like I said 50% of lads. I suppose why I can't accept this as a positive is that even on the positive side the 50% are made up of the few elite deemed to be good enough. I just think if you are splitting clubs and teams you are losing straight away.
What happens if the amalgamated teams just can't compete at all with the year long preparation and lifetime bonds of the Senior clubs who have achieved senior status the natural way. Are the likes of the Westerns saying they will need to amalgamate permenately? Is this where they are?

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 16/01/2019 21:18:59    2157657

Link

People giving out to the westerns because they suggested something in turn of all county championship? Does people not realise it was voted in be other clubs too? And the likes of judgy mouthing off on Twitter and calling it the "Joe durnin" cup now instead of joe ward, when Louth are playing he does be shouting for tommie durnin

Roversreturn (Louth) - Posts: 2 - 17/01/2019 10:16:45    2157703

Link

Replying To Roversreturn:  "People giving out to the westerns because they suggested something in turn of all county championship? Does people not realise it was voted in be other clubs too? And the likes of judgy mouthing off on Twitter and calling it the "Joe durnin" cup now instead of joe ward, when Louth are playing he does be shouting for tommie durnin"
Some call it mouthing off while others call it asking some very valid questions related to running this competition especially in 2019 without any siginifcant time to prepare for it.

breakingball22 (Louth) - Posts: 393 - 17/01/2019 11:48:08    2157728

Link