Louth Forum

New Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

A new championship got the green light tonight at County board meeting. meaning junior & intermediate teams can join together for c'ship.

TopDog(lu) (Louth) - Posts: 141 - 14/01/2019 22:17:18    2157172

Link

Replying To TopDog(lu):  "A new championship got the green light tonight at County board meeting. meaning junior & intermediate teams can join together for c'ship."
Aye join together for a new championship that runs after the junior/intermediate/senior championships have been run. It'll be great to see the likes of Tommy Durnin lining out to play at senior championship level with an amalgamated team in north louth, but am I right in saying that the winner of this new competition goes on to represent louth in the Leinster senior club championship? Does this not completely devalue the joe ward?

Mesut (Louth) - Posts: 41 - 15/01/2019 09:27:16    2157206

Link

Great idea for the Junior clubs will help stop transfers to the Senior clubs.

N08CUTN (Mayo) - Posts: 96 - 15/01/2019 09:41:28    2157210

Link

Rolling it out in 2019 would be sheer madness....so I expect that they will roll it out in 2019. So so many questions that need time to be answered before you go making it the flagship competition of the summer.

breakingball22 (Louth) - Posts: 393 - 15/01/2019 10:51:22    2157231

Link

Replying To breakingball22:  "Rolling it out in 2019 would be sheer madness....so I expect that they will roll it out in 2019. So so many questions that need time to be answered before you go making it the flagship competition of the summer."
Joe ward should be the flagship comp always . the execution of this is vital and 2019 is too soon there is a lot needs to be agreed before you run with this but the idea and the concept are positive.

N08CUTN (Mayo) - Posts: 96 - 15/01/2019 11:48:14    2157251

Link

Replying To N08CUTN:  "Great idea for the Junior clubs will help stop transfers to the Senior clubs."
so playing with players of a higher quality and mixing and training them will stop transfers rather than encourage them?

LemonySnickett (Louth) - Posts: 81 - 15/01/2019 14:07:06    2157303

Link

Just when I thought Louth Gaa got their act together...completely devalues Joe Ward. This should have been brought in as a secondary competition if it was for the reasons they said.
The 12 teams that are in senior got their on Merit.and they should battle it out against other senior teams for a county title and not by getting a handy draw against an amalgated team and winning a title.
Not surprised to hear a junior team proposed this. You need to earn the right through hard work, years of it maybe to play senior and have the chance to compete against the best in Lenister. Incredible that the team that wins this goes into Lenister

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 15/01/2019 15:10:40    2157326

Link

Replying To LemonySnickett:  "so playing with players of a higher quality and mixing and training them will stop transfers rather than encourage them?"
Put them on the show window more like it

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 15/01/2019 15:11:14    2157327

Link

Replying To Mesut:  "Aye join together for a new championship that runs after the junior/intermediate/senior championships have been run. It'll be great to see the likes of Tommy Durnin lining out to play at senior championship level with an amalgamated team in north louth, but am I right in saying that the winner of this new competition goes on to represent louth in the Leinster senior club championship? Does this not completely devalue the joe ward?"
If the winner is an Amalgamation they can't go through. Aye sure it's amazing what response a certain transfer request from an individual can stir up. Mickey Mouse competitions now

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 15/01/2019 15:13:19    2157329

Link

I have heard of some stunts in my time in Louth GAA but this is the worst. For years and years the clubs that are run correctly with forward minded people who develop their young talent through countless hours of coaching , improve their facilties yearly through fundraising etc. and maintain their pitch or pitches daily all with one goal in mind.... to reach the top table which is senior, stay there and then eventually win it. It is no fluke winning the Joe Ward. It's years and years in the making.

Now we have a situation, an outrageous situation were some junior clubs which lets be honest here are a bit backward have come up with a way so they can have their day in the sun.

If you think this will stop transfers you are conning yourselves.

As for 26 delegates that passed this....I'd love to see the clubs that would want this farcical set up, this year in 2019 with zero planning. It's just a bit like their clubs. A mess.

kwiksilver (Louth) - Posts: 105 - 15/01/2019 15:46:56    2157344

Link

I'm all for boosting competition, but this is the wrong way of going about it...Seems like a pathetic attempt by the junior clubs and county board to try and close the gap between all the clubs in Louth and the Blues/Martins (Clogher on their day) at the top! As tough as it is saying this as a Clogher man the work them two clubs have put into their underage systems has got them to where they are now, the facts back that up! The Blues and Martins both had 6 players under the age of 21 starting in the senior final, 3 of them being 19, clubs need to start looking at their juvenile systems and work with kids from a young age and keep them interested rather than complain years down the line when they can't field teams and then players are wanting to leave, seems mad that one individual requesting a transfer can lead to the whole championship being restructured!

Colin66 (Louth) - Posts: 40 - 15/01/2019 15:47:29    2157346

Link

why o why didnt they call the new championship Joe ward, then it was perfect. That was the whole idea of it, to give players from lesser clubs the chance to win a Joe ward.
The senior championship would be devalued, but so be it, if your good enough you'd beat a combination, at end of day, you can only put out 15. Blues would nearly beat Louth never mind a combo of couple of clubs, and the combo would never have chemistry.

There is no incentive to win this new championship as an amalgamation, its not a thing players would desire, you'll win it most likely with rivals, and only 2-3 of your good mates. Everyone wants a Joe ward, by hook or by crook, they wouldn't mind, hence the transfers to blues .Also this way, it still gives no chance to westerns players of a Joe ward, it gives them chance at this new thing which nobody will want, who wants to go into Leinster to get whooped.

It will become a farce, someone please reply to this post in 2-3 years and tell me i was right.

Baile Talun will win it the first year as they'll be only ones to take it seriously as it was their motion, prob have a squad picked already.

Frederick (Louth) - Posts: 474 - 15/01/2019 15:56:04    2157349

Link

A lot teams running scared now that lads from mid Louth are going to break up the joe ward monopoly won by coastal teams, it's about time the status quo was challenged. I can see Tommie Durnin putting teams like the blues and dreadnotts to the sword

westyboy (Louth) - Posts: 92 - 15/01/2019 16:24:00    2157358

Link

Yeah I can really see the Westerns/McDermotts and Glyde causing problems to the blues. Yeah right!!! These clubs are deluded Brendan McGahon will prob be playing on this team.

Tommy Durnin will be at St Mary's in two years time. This championship is a waste of time.

sadam (Louth) - Posts: 149 - 15/01/2019 17:29:03    2157370

Link

Hear sadam big mcgahon still has afew good year's left in him

bennypoor (Louth) - Posts: 327 - 15/01/2019 17:37:43    2157373

Link

Replying To westyboy:  "A lot teams running scared now that lads from mid Louth are going to break up the joe ward monopoly won by coastal teams, it's about time the status quo was challenged. I can see Tommie Durnin putting teams like the blues and dreadnotts to the sword"
Tommie Durnin didn't put the jocks 2nd team to the sword so I wouldn't be worried about that.
The status quo of the DIV 3 teams was asked last year & they couldn't hack it v clubs 2nd teams because they where afraid of fringe senior players & now because Tommie might move on to a senior team these Div 3 clubs come up with this idea to stop players transferring to bigger clubs. This has gone the full circle now. But not surprised the Div 3 clubs always get what they want ! I wonder why ??

TopDog(lu) (Louth) - Posts: 141 - 15/01/2019 17:39:11    2157374

Link

The jocks seem to have a chip on their shoulder they skittered there one chance to do it and now that the Westies/Sean's/Glyde team might be on the cards they see that last year might be their only chance they may ever get. No surprise Baile Talun dominated underage football for periods in the past, there's a real chance they can dominate Joe Ward for years to come.

westyboy (Louth) - Posts: 92 - 15/01/2019 17:50:48    2157379

Link

You still crying about the leagues big Fra it's 2019 now

bennypoor (Louth) - Posts: 327 - 15/01/2019 17:54:57    2157381

Link

Replying To westyboy:  "The jocks seem to have a chip on their shoulder they skittered there one chance to do it and now that the Westies/Sean's/Glyde team might be on the cards they see that last year might be their only chance they may ever get. No surprise Baile Talun dominated underage football for periods in the past, there's a real chance they can dominate Joe Ward for years to come."
Great! Good for Baile Talun. Sure why then could you not just amalgamated these clubs and leave everyone else alone. You'd walk junior,be favourite s for inter the next year and possibly have a shot at JW withing 3 years. Instead, put a proposal together that the majority of players do not want. Will Drogheda teams play together? Dundalk teams? What about lads left with no football after May (or very little). Ah sure to hell with them?

breakingball22 (Louth) - Posts: 393 - 15/01/2019 18:23:07    2157389

Link

Replying To westyboy:  "The jocks seem to have a chip on their shoulder they skittered there one chance to do it and now that the Westies/Sean's/Glyde team might be on the cards they see that last year might be their only chance they may ever get. No surprise Baile Talun dominated underage football for periods in the past, there's a real chance they can dominate Joe Ward for years to come."
Baile Talun is not competing for Joe Ward mate so get your facts right. There is no point dominating underage football as an amalgamation when it clearly didn't benefit any of the clubs adult teams as they are all still junior clubs.

TopDog(lu) (Louth) - Posts: 141 - 15/01/2019 18:35:10    2157393

Link