Limerick Forum

Under 20 Hurling

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Also other players such as Declan Hannon, Cian Lynch and Aaron Gillane attended Secondary School in the
City where their hurling was nurtured and won Harty Cup Medals with Ard Scoil Rís.

fainleog (Limerick) - Posts: 478 - 12/04/2019 16:55:17    2178602

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Well I certainly would not agree with you that Hurling in Galway is confined to a small area. Firstly, towns like Portumna, Gort, Loughrea and Athenry all have won Galway championships and contested All Ireland Club Finals in the past thirty years. By contrast none of our major towns have even a senior hurling team and once fine clubs like Adare and Drom have slid off the hurling orbit entirely. Rural clubs in Galway like Sarsfields, Meelick Eyrecourt, Killimer, Turloughmore and Clarinbridge have all won or contested All Ireland Finals. To add to that four members of last years Galway minor came from clubs like Sylane, Ballygar, and Knocknacurra, clubs never seen on a county hurling panel before. If only we could get players from such diverse backgrounds."
Don't come for a drink in Adare any time soon. Sure they've slipped back from winning the county 3 years in a row but Adare are still fielding a decent senior team. I'd say there ranked 5 in the county right now behind the Top 4 who're all high quality teams - any one that I reckon would win the Cork championship if they were in it.

Adare are providing captains to the county senior, minor and senior camogie teams in 2019 so less of the doom and gloom about Adare. The comparison with Drum is away off. Incidentally the vice captain of the minor team is from Crecora so that's diversity.

The big gap in coverage in Limerick is with the town of NCW. There is scope for significant improvement there and there is a precedent locally with NCW camogie which is one of the stronger clubs in the county.

The big focus in the city needs to be with Mungret in the southern suburbs. They have a massive population base although you've got to respect that rugby and soccer have deep routes in those area's. Monaleen also have the opportunity to be a super club similar to NAP.

There's definitely scope for more to be done to coordinate the development efforts of St Patricks, Old Christians, Treaty Sarsfields and Claughan in the heart of the city but I don't think the opportunity is as rich as that with NCW or Mungret given the strength and tradition of other sports in those parishes.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 656 - 12/04/2019 17:46:27    2178606

Link

Replying To Dealer:  "Don't come for a drink in Adare any time soon. Sure they've slipped back from winning the county 3 years in a row but Adare are still fielding a decent senior team. I'd say there ranked 5 in the county right now behind the Top 4 who're all high quality teams - any one that I reckon would win the Cork championship if they were in it.

Adare are providing captains to the county senior, minor and senior camogie teams in 2019 so less of the doom and gloom about Adare. The comparison with Drum is away off. Incidentally the vice captain of the minor team is from Crecora so that's diversity.

The big gap in coverage in Limerick is with the town of NCW. There is scope for significant improvement there and there is a precedent locally with NCW camogie which is one of the stronger clubs in the county.

The big focus in the city needs to be with Mungret in the southern suburbs. They have a massive population base although you've got to respect that rugby and soccer have deep routes in those area's. Monaleen also have the opportunity to be a super club similar to NAP.

There's definitely scope for more to be done to coordinate the development efforts of St Patricks, Old Christians, Treaty Sarsfields and Claughan in the heart of the city but I don't think the opportunity is as rich as that with NCW or Mungret given the strength and tradition of other sports in those parishes."
Well football was pratically unknown in Adare in my youth and now they are county champions and Drom Broadford were a novice football team thirty years ago. Drum was a serious hurling parish on its own right and contested a county senior final in the sixties and in Derry McCarthy produced one of the finest hurlers the county ever produced and Donie Broderick was another top class county player. In fact in 64 when Adare beat Ardagh in the West Junior Final (I cycled to Ballingarry from Tour to the game that day), Drum were contesting the Senior county final against Cappamore so the comparison is fairly valid. Broadford was the home of the Curtin brothers and Eugene Noonan among other fine county players and Broadford parish also provided fine hurlers like Donie Buckley and the recently deceased Patsy McLoughlin, who powered Meelin and Tullylease teams in Duhallow division. To day with all the Drum Broadford resources combined they play at a lower grade, so that is a serious decline. I utterly agree in relation to NCW, but people forget that Rathkeale and Croagh Kilfinny also produced players in the distant past.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 1858 - 12/04/2019 20:02:38    2178617

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Unfortunately theres a malaise underage in Limerick right now. It happened in 1974 aswell when Limerick failed to update structures and let a terrific opportunity to cement hurling structures into the fabric of the city especially. I'm not saying these exact things are happening now but there is a lack of intensity underage right now. The city centre is still a hurling wasteland..(please dont mention Na Piarsaigh and Monaleen ...suburbia ).
It took so long to get to this level..I'd hate tofall back into the.pack now. Seniors are doing all the right things but they are standalone in my opinion"
The boost to hurling in the city and county that last August gave won't suddenly transform these city clubs. The 12 to 21 year olds won't suddenly become better or improve overnight. The boost will come with extra numbers at u6s and u8s and this will take a decade to come through at minor level so patience will be required. In the meantime the academy will have to continue to produce players but it should be remembered the current senior team came of an exceptional group and we won't be producing the quality every year.

updwell (Limerick) - Posts: 319 - 12/04/2019 20:47:50    2178622

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Well I certainly would not agree with you that Hurling in Galway is confined to a small area. Firstly, towns like Portumna, Gort, Loughrea and Athenry all have won Galway championships and contested All Ireland Club Finals in the past thirty years. By contrast none of our major towns have even a senior hurling team and once fine clubs like Adare and Drom have slid off the hurling orbit entirely. Rural clubs in Galway like Sarsfields, Meelick Eyrecourt, Killimer, Turloughmore and Clarinbridge have all won or contested All Ireland Finals. To add to that four members of last years Galway minor came from clubs like Sylane, Ballygar, and Knocknacurra, clubs never seen on a county hurling panel before. If only we could get players from such diverse backgrounds."
Geographically, hurling is not as widespread in Galway is it would be in Kilkenny Tipp or Cork - I am not for a second denying the strength of the Galway clubs or their club championship, I am saying that hurling is not played in large parts of the county. On the diversity comment - I'm pretty sure over 20 clubs were represented on last years Limerick minor panel, not bad going in fairness..

McFan88 (Limerick) - Posts: 340 - 13/04/2019 21:53:01    2178712

Link

Replying To updwell:  "The boost to hurling in the city and county that last August gave won't suddenly transform these city clubs. The 12 to 21 year olds won't suddenly become better or improve overnight. The boost will come with extra numbers at u6s and u8s and this will take a decade to come through at minor level so patience will be required. In the meantime the academy will have to continue to produce players but it should be remembered the current senior team came of an exceptional group and we won't be producing the quality every year."
True but we need to be producing a few hurlers every year. That's what the likes of Kilkenny, Tipp and Galway do. Otherwise we won't be competitive and we'll be facing another gap

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 42 - 14/04/2019 09:09:27    2178728

Link

Replying To fainleog:  "The city is now making a huge contribution to Limerick hurling, whereas in the past, it was just the occasional
player. Last year Gearoid Hegarty, Shane Dowling, Mike Casey, Peter Casey, William O' Donoghue, David
Dempsey and Kevin Downes all hailed from the city. In addition Conor Boylan is a newcomer. That has been a
major boost to Limerick hurling."
The city is making a contribution but it isnt huge. It's got 100,000 people over half of the countys entire pick. Previously, like in 94 you had the Nash's and Galligan from Claughaun and you had Ger Hegarty from Old Christian's. Both city centre clubs. Then you had Damien Quigley from Na Piarsaigh starting. Last year you had Mike Casey from a Piarsaigh. The Casey's father is a Clareman and they live in Meelick so we are lucky hes not lining out for Clare. Downes is Meelick parish aswell. ( lucky that meelick are a junior Clare club) Dowling is city. Dempsey is a farmer so hes not really city either. You get where I'm going. An Piarsaigh are fantastic and Monaleen and Mungret are making great strides but theres another 50,000 people with junior inner city clubs that on the whole are badly enough run. At this moment in time they arent competing with their local rugby ir soccer clubs. The west of the county needs a taskforce. I had no idea that Drom Broadford used produce hurlers...or that Rathkeale even played much hurling in the past.
Galway has a big population and their big country towns produce hurlers. Galway is an awfully poor hurling city with not much tradition. I think they like the bodhran and busking, skinning tourists too much. But their hurling under age is improving in the city by all accounts.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 988 - 14/04/2019 09:30:09    2178729

Link

Replying To Mads:  "True but we need to be producing a few hurlers every year. That's what the likes of Kilkenny, Tipp and Galway do. Otherwise we won't be competitive and we'll be facing another gap"
I agree 100% we need to keep producing young players every year but to expect about 20 players of a high quality to come through over a period of about 3/4 years like our current panel is not realistic. If the current U20s give us 3/4 players next year then that's good enough and hopefully we will get another U20 win in the next 6-8 years and we get 8-10 players off that then we will continue to be competitive.

updwell (Limerick) - Posts: 319 - 14/04/2019 13:10:57    2178758

Link

Replying To updwell:  "I agree 100% we need to keep producing young players every year but to expect about 20 players of a high quality to come through over a period of about 3/4 years like our current panel is not realistic. If the current U20s give us 3/4 players next year then that's good enough and hopefully we will get another U20 win in the next 6-8 years and we get 8-10 players off that then we will continue to be competitive."
Totally agree with you. Hopefully that will happen.
We won't have success like this all the time, but at the very least hopefully we'd continue to be competitive. We were beaten well by Tipp the last couple of years at minor level in the Munster finals but at least we got there. Hopefully there will be a bunch soon again that can get 1 or 2 steps further.
For now it's a privilege to enjoy the seniors which are excellent products of the academy system. In Kilmallock today you Doon and The Well are playing. There are some stars on that pitch. Haven't even mentioned the na piarsaigh or Kilmallock boys.
Without doubt these are special times. Fingers crossed we'll have plenty more successful with these lads before we need a new young bunch

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 42 - 14/04/2019 14:32:27    2178771

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "The city is making a contribution but it isnt huge. It's got 100,000 people over half of the countys entire pick. Previously, like in 94 you had the Nash's and Galligan from Claughaun and you had Ger Hegarty from Old Christian's. Both city centre clubs. Then you had Damien Quigley from Na Piarsaigh starting. Last year you had Mike Casey from a Piarsaigh. The Casey's father is a Clareman and they live in Meelick so we are lucky hes not lining out for Clare. Downes is Meelick parish aswell. ( lucky that meelick are a junior Clare club) Dowling is city. Dempsey is a farmer so hes not really city either. You get where I'm going. An Piarsaigh are fantastic and Monaleen and Mungret are making great strides but theres another 50,000 people with junior inner city clubs that on the whole are badly enough run. At this moment in time they arent competing with their local rugby ir soccer clubs. The west of the county needs a taskforce. I had no idea that Drom Broadford used produce hurlers...or that Rathkeale even played much hurling in the past.
Galway has a big population and their big country towns produce hurlers. Galway is an awfully poor hurling city with not much tradition. I think they like the bodhran and busking, skinning tourists too much. But their hurling under age is improving in the city by all accounts."
Limerick are struggling to get players out of the bigger urban centers but that's not unique. For example, Cork have gotten minimal output from the town of Mallow - just Cormac Murphy very recently but very, very little historically. Same for Charleville (Fitzgibon is a historical anomaly), Fermoy etc. Cork have an enormous club base but they've struggled to maximize it - thankfully.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 656 - 14/04/2019 19:23:10    2178808

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "The city is making a contribution but it isnt huge. It's got 100,000 people over half of the countys entire pick. Previously, like in 94 you had the Nash's and Galligan from Claughaun and you had Ger Hegarty from Old Christian's. Both city centre clubs. Then you had Damien Quigley from Na Piarsaigh starting. Last year you had Mike Casey from a Piarsaigh. The Casey's father is a Clareman and they live in Meelick so we are lucky hes not lining out for Clare. Downes is Meelick parish aswell. ( lucky that meelick are a junior Clare club) Dowling is city. Dempsey is a farmer so hes not really city either. You get where I'm going. An Piarsaigh are fantastic and Monaleen and Mungret are making great strides but theres another 50,000 people with junior inner city clubs that on the whole are badly enough run. At this moment in time they arent competing with their local rugby ir soccer clubs. The west of the county needs a taskforce. I had no idea that Drom Broadford used produce hurlers...or that Rathkeale even played much hurling in the past.
Galway has a big population and their big country towns produce hurlers. Galway is an awfully poor hurling city with not much tradition. I think they like the bodhran and busking, skinning tourists too much. But their hurling under age is improving in the city by all accounts."
I met a couple before a match in Casement Park four or five years ago. They turned to be Kevin Downes's parents. They were adamant that they were not Clare people. I only asked them because some people were saying Kevin was a Clareman.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 1858 - 15/04/2019 10:36:45    2178896

Link

The Nashs were from South Liberties. I agree with you re much of the City and certainly the West needs urgent attention- something I have been banging on about for years

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 1858 - 15/04/2019 18:48:16    2179025

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "I met a couple before a match in Casement Park four or five years ago. They turned to be Kevin Downes's parents. They were adamant that they were not Clare people. I only asked them because some people were saying Kevin was a Clareman."
I certainly wouldn't doubt they are telling the truth. Coonagh is within the boundary of Limerick city after the new boundary extension. However Coonagh ,the whole village and area is ,and remains in Meelick Parish which is a Clare Parish in Kilaloe diocese. Many Coonagh people over the years played for Meelick in the Clare Championship,long before any Na Piarsaigh was ever set up. Half of Coonagh goes to mass in Meelick still even though Caherdavin and the Ennis road are closer. Luckily Meelick have never been powerhouses in hurling so when a well organised club in Na Piarsaigh came along the kids were funnelled in the direction of Caherdavin.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 988 - 16/04/2019 15:55:39    2179146

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "I certainly wouldn't doubt they are telling the truth. Coonagh is within the boundary of Limerick city after the new boundary extension. However Coonagh ,the whole village and area is ,and remains in Meelick Parish which is a Clare Parish in Kilaloe diocese. Many Coonagh people over the years played for Meelick in the Clare Championship,long before any Na Piarsaigh was ever set up. Half of Coonagh goes to mass in Meelick still even though Caherdavin and the Ennis road are closer. Luckily Meelick have never been powerhouses in hurling so when a well organised club in Na Piarsaigh came along the kids were funnelled in the direction of Caherdavin."
Thanks for the reply. This happens often where counties bounds. Most of Upper Broadford played for years with Tullylease or Meelin in Co Cork and the famous Curtin hurling clan, who were actually in Killeedy, conversely played with Broadford. A certain Co Cork family have also given fine players to my home parish, but I will not elaborate there.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 1858 - 16/04/2019 16:21:07    2179150

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "I certainly wouldn't doubt they are telling the truth. Coonagh is within the boundary of Limerick city after the new boundary extension. However Coonagh ,the whole village and area is ,and remains in Meelick Parish which is a Clare Parish in Kilaloe diocese. Many Coonagh people over the years played for Meelick in the Clare Championship,long before any Na Piarsaigh was ever set up. Half of Coonagh goes to mass in Meelick still even though Caherdavin and the Ennis road are closer. Luckily Meelick have never been powerhouses in hurling so when a well organised club in Na Piarsaigh came along the kids were funnelled in the direction of Caherdavin."
Border Snippets

Coonagh-Meelick-Parteen are all the one parish in the Diocese of Limerick with Meelick & Parteen in County Clare. Coonagh is in Co. Limerick. Limerick Diocese also takes in Cratloe Parish at its extreme westerly point.
Parish priest is Fr. Tom Carroll (Effin & Na Piarsaigh) and lifelong Limerick fan.

Lansdowne Rovers (Mayo colours) was the next club west of Treaty Sarsfields which served Coonagh and old Caherdavin areas before Na Piarsaigh was formed. It continued to field into the 90's as the football wing of Na Piarsaigh winning a co league title in football in mid 90's with many from Coonagh playing alongside Na Piarsaigh dual players. Yes for some reason, many in Coonagh considered themselves as Clare.

Na Piarsaigh brothers, Mike & Peter Casey grew up on farm in Meelick in Co. Clare but their house (not farm) is on Limerick side of border so they could have easily played with Clare. Their first cousin Claire Casey (neighbouring farm) is Na Piarsaigh Camogie full back and ardent Clare supporter !

Cathal King, All Ireland winning club captain 2016 also grew up in Meelick and went to school in Shannon.
Tommy Grimes & Kevin Downes are both Coonagh.
Dempsey brothers parents own farm in Coonagh as do parents of McNamara sisters of Limerick camogie fame.
Clare's Cathal McInerney's father, Ger played with Na Piarsaigh and his grand-father Tom RIP originally from Knocklong was first Na Piarsaigh secretary.
Clare's Diarmuid Ryan's father Phil also hurled with Na Piarsaigh before they also moved to Cratloe.
Clare's Podge Collins started hurling in Na Piarsiagh street leagues before they moved to Cratloe.
Na Piarsaigh's former manager, Shane O'Neill started his hurling with O'Callaghan's Mills before they moved into Limerick. His father, Mick originally from Kilkee and a vital cog of Na Piarsaigh underage success has moved back home 7-8 years back and is now creating headlines in the formation of the Kilkee-Bealaha Camogie-Hurling Club where hurling and camogie are begining to thrive in this football stronghold.
Clare Camogie senior star, Maire McGrath (Cratloe) sister of Conor, played camogie with Na Piarsaigh for a no. of years as Cratloe have no adult Camogie team She eventually transferred to Sixmilebridge as she has no Limerick connection.

Sky_Blue (Limerick) - Posts: 6 - 16/04/2019 17:23:15    2179163

Link

Replying To Sky_Blue:  "Border Snippets

Coonagh-Meelick-Parteen are all the one parish in the Diocese of Limerick with Meelick & Parteen in County Clare. Coonagh is in Co. Limerick. Limerick Diocese also takes in Cratloe Parish at its extreme westerly point.
Parish priest is Fr. Tom Carroll (Effin & Na Piarsaigh) and lifelong Limerick fan.

Lansdowne Rovers (Mayo colours) was the next club west of Treaty Sarsfields which served Coonagh and old Caherdavin areas before Na Piarsaigh was formed. It continued to field into the 90's as the football wing of Na Piarsaigh winning a co league title in football in mid 90's with many from Coonagh playing alongside Na Piarsaigh dual players. Yes for some reason, many in Coonagh considered themselves as Clare.

Na Piarsaigh brothers, Mike & Peter Casey grew up on farm in Meelick in Co. Clare but their house (not farm) is on Limerick side of border so they could have easily played with Clare. Their first cousin Claire Casey (neighbouring farm) is Na Piarsaigh Camogie full back and ardent Clare supporter !

Cathal King, All Ireland winning club captain 2016 also grew up in Meelick and went to school in Shannon.
Dempsey brothers parents own farm in Coonagh as do parents of McNamara sisters of Limerick camogie fame.
Clare's Cathal McInerney's father, Ger played with Na Piarsaigh and his grand-father Tom RIP originally from Knocklong was first Na Piarsaigh secretary.
Clare's Diarmuid Ryan's father Phil also hurled with Na Piarsaigh before they also moved to Cratloe.
Clare's Podge Collins started hurling in Na Piarsiagh street leagues before they moved to Cratloe.
Na Piarsaigh's former manager, Shane O'Neill started his hurling with O'Callaghan's Mills before they moved into Limerick. His father, Mick originally from Kilkee and a vital cog of Na Piarsaigh underage success has moved back home 7-8 years back and is now creating headlines in the formation of the Kilkee-Bealaha Camogie-Hurling Club where hurling and camogie are begining to thrive in this football stronghold.
Clare Camogie senior star, Maire McGrath (Cratloe) sister of Conor, played camogie with Na Piarsaigh for a no. of years as Cratloe have no adult Camogie team She eventually transferred to Sixmilebridge as she has no Limerick connection."
Great post. I enjoyed reading that.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 656 - 16/04/2019 17:57:58    2179169

Link

Replying To Dealer:  "Great post. I enjoyed reading that."
Thanks Dealer.
I Left out one !!! Shane Dowling (no Clare blood !) was mascot for St. Joseph's, Doora-Barefield when they won the All-Ireland Club hurling final in 1999. Ger Hoey (RIP) from St. Josephs lived in Caherdavin close to Dowling and regularly pucked around the green with young Dowling (c5-6 years old) at the time.

Sky_Blue (Limerick) - Posts: 6 - 17/04/2019 09:08:07    2179226

Link

To be fair , of the top ten sports clubs in Limerick City the GAA would fair highly enough with Na Piarsaigh ,Monaleen And Mungret definitely in the top ten .
It can be argued that all three are suburbs but all three have huge membership and playing numbers almost at Dublin super club levels. St patricks are the only other club in the city making a fair fist of things with reasonable growth in numbers. Claughaun unfortunately have a good club house but struggling on the field , OldChristians/Ballinacurra up against it also. Many of the whats classified as inner city has soccer clubs which are easy to run and fund like many cities even in the UK, Crime-Poverty is often an distraction/issue in some of these areas also which isn't conducive to vibrant sports clubs .
What are the top ten largest team sports clubs in Limerick City, my guess
Garryowen RFC
Na Piarsaigh GAA
Monaleen Gaa
Shannon RFC
Young Munster RFC
Mungret GAA
Pike Rovers FC
UL/Bohemians RFC
Aisling Annacotty FC
Regional FC

OpenStand (Limerick) - Posts: 136 - 17/04/2019 09:28:39    2179232

Link

Clare Camogie senior star, Maire McGrath (Cratloe) sister of Conor, played camogie with Na Piarsaigh for a no. of years as Cratloe have no adult Camogie team She eventually transferred to Sixmilebridge as she has no Limerick connection."
Great post. You've some great snippets in there. I knew Parteen,Coonagh were all Meelick Parish . Traditionally the whole limerick Clare border area wasnt very successful in hurling except for Ahane over around Castleconnell,but there was always a great interest and many supported both Clare and Limerick especially in Coonagh. The great Mick Mackey won a Clare minor medal with Clonlara. So there was never a bitter border rivalry. Now there is a serious rivalry but it's usually eejits far from the border that occasionally act the maggot.
Again thanks for correcting me on Meelick being in the diocese of Limerick.Another one on Cratloe is that it is in Limerick diocese and its parish goes right into the village of Sixmilebridge . The 'Olde House' pub and the little church in the village are actually in Cratloe parish . These days if you put a hurling team together from ten to 12 mile radius of the Gaelic grounds youd have some team. John Conlon and the Clonlara lads..Sixmilebridge, podge and the Cratloe lads...Na Piarsaigh..Patrickswell,Ahane ect...great times really.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 988 - 17/04/2019 15:42:49    2179305

Link

Great post !!

Mossy73 (Limerick) - Posts: 21 - 19/04/2019 08:01:43    2179533

Link