Down Forum

Down Senior Hurlers 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The Antrim CB left it up to the clubs to get it called off. We were meant to play Loughgiel but they had no problem rearranging the match. Obviously Dunloy and St Gall's didn't want to call the games off. Blame the clubs, not county boards.

cranfanatic (Down) - Posts: 69 - 19/06/2019 12:36:17    2197534

Link

Replying To In_da_ditch:  "I heard Sean Og & the county board had requested the games be called off & had even went to Croke park over it but Antrim refused to accommodate. But suppose that wouldn't suit some people's agenda to admit not everything that goes wrong is the county boards fault!"
Croke Park have a six day rule in place for things like this, so if Sean O'g went to Croke Park about it and Croke Park and Antrim did nothing then they need reminded of their own rules.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2333 - 19/06/2019 16:29:44    2197656

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "Croke Park have a six day rule in place for things like this, so if Sean O'g went to Croke Park about it and Croke Park and Antrim did nothing then they need reminded of their own rules."
So just to confirm.... Antrim refusing to change their league games is Sean Og's fault... ok... got it

In_da_ditch (UK) - Posts: 141 - 19/06/2019 20:37:04    2197736

Link

The 3 down teams games should of been off tonight not fair on the teams playing with weakened teams against full strength Antrim teams but hey ho we should be ok for top 5 but hopefully doesn't happen again

Awaywiththeferrys (Down) - Posts: 41 - 19/06/2019 20:58:06    2197747

Link

Replying To In_da_ditch:  "So just to confirm.... Antrim refusing to change their league games is Sean Og's fault... ok... got it"
yes, because he wasn't forceful enough in ensuring Croke Park and Antrim were made to enforce the six day rule irrespective of the jurisdiction of the games in question.

Anyhoo I see the galgets go their game moved and the Ports played without their county players which Paudie will be pleased about.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2333 - 20/06/2019 08:26:13    2197826

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "yes, because he wasn't forceful enough in ensuring Croke Park and Antrim were made to enforce the six day rule irrespective of the jurisdiction of the games in question.

Anyhoo I see the galgets go their game moved and the Ports played without their county players which Paudie will be pleased about."
Fair play to the ports they went up and got stuffed all I can say the ports manager must be a county man going up to play dunloy without 10/12 of your better players is nutts going up full strength your still In trouble stupid stupid man could cost them top 5

Therealnumer1 (Down) - Posts: 37 - 20/06/2019 12:36:34    2197924

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "yes, because he wasn't forceful enough in ensuring Croke Park and Antrim were made to enforce the six day rule irrespective of the jurisdiction of the games in question.

Anyhoo I see the galgets go their game moved and the Ports played without their county players which Paudie will be pleased about."
I haven't paid my car tax. Is that county boards fault for not being forceful enough to impose someone else's rules on to me too?

In_da_ditch (UK) - Posts: 141 - 20/06/2019 15:09:02    2198006

Link

Is this weeks finals not televised ? If not it's a joke the smaller teams deserve there time on tv

Awaywiththeferrys (Down) - Posts: 41 - 20/06/2019 17:50:21    2198061

Link

Replying To Awaywiththeferrys:  "Is this weeks finals not televised ? If not it's a joke the smaller teams deserve there time on tv"
Should be televised and should be the curtain raiser to a Liam McCarthy match! Someone told me it's being shown on YouTube, which is better than nothing, I suppose.

CarraigUladh71 (USA) - Posts: 4 - 20/06/2019 18:59:28    2198085

Link

Good luck to the County team tomorrow. It will be very tough but they can do it with a wee bit of luck.

Frank

Frank Mitchell (Down) - Posts: 1062 - 21/06/2019 14:49:52    2198311

Link

Serious effort tday lads,goals killed us but unlucky fellas galant effort

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 254 - 22/06/2019 16:25:49    2198599

Link

Unlucky Today lads gained some experience for a young team your time will come if it wasn't for viper score line would of looked worse everyone battled and done well to get within a point at ht

Awaywiththeferrys (Down) - Posts: 41 - 22/06/2019 18:03:35    2198625

Link

Looked nervous for first 20 minutes but hurled well when they settled. Goals were the difference and sending off harsh. Good experience for a young team. They will be back in Croke Park if they stick at it. Fair play to Ronan & his selecters for going with youth.

Seannie Og (Down) - Posts: 935 - 22/06/2019 18:28:49    2198633

Link

To many missed opportunities in the first 15 mins, done well to fight back in the 1st half. Corner backs tore apart for the goals. Thought taggart played well. Downs fielding was non existent, 2 Sandss put in a shift. What did Fisher get the line for?

cahill (None) - Posts: 2498 - 22/06/2019 20:12:32    2198666

Link

Replying To cahill:  "To many missed opportunities in the first 15 mins, done well to fight back in the 1st half. Corner backs tore apart for the goals. Thought taggart played well. Downs fielding was non existent, 2 Sandss put in a shift. What did Fisher get the line for?"
Sooner the better u get them Mccrickards there address in the ards get to get them on that team.?

Thekid14 (Down) - Posts: 191 - 22/06/2019 23:00:45    2198767

Link

Corner backs poor, no midfield line, half forward line poor Sheehan showed he's just a free taker, sands' tried their best. Now off Daithi goes to the big apple for a year and it will be a big miss for club and county.

RedDog68 (Down) - Posts: 167 - 22/06/2019 23:26:53    2198774

Link

Good performance yesterday.. If we had a good corner back, midfielder and forward to add to that team then they are real contenders.. Very impressed with the system they played to and especially that the players seemed to buy into it.. Also some long and direct striking yesterday by both teams .. Don't know if that is Sheehan or the rocks influence but major improvement on previous years, and also considering the number of players lost.. Taught Viper, Taggart, Fisher, Savage, Toner and D Sands best for Down.. Mallon also grew into the game at corner back.. The 3 McCrickards were missed especially when the bench was called on

dingle82 (Down) - Posts: 172 - 23/06/2019 11:13:41    2198885

Link

Replying To RedDog68:  "Corner backs poor, no midfield line, half forward line poor Sheehan showed he's just a free taker, sands' tried their best. Now off Daithi goes to the big apple for a year and it will be a big miss for club and county."
Some absolute cowards on this website , criticising lads u20 or only slightly older ...some heroes who won't even put their name s to their comments......those lads gave everything they had, have performed brilliantly all year including the guy who scored 16 Pts from play from half forward through NHL and Christy Ring but you refer to as only a free taker....just shows a lot of guys on this are simply moaners with a chip on their shoulder as they were never or could never be as good as the lads that took to the field yesterday.....some will say I shouldn't respond to nameless trolls on the internet but in an age of serious mental health concerns the constant badgering of some players and indeed lads just out of their teens can't go unchallenged ( do ye think the lads or their families don't see these personalised attacks).....if the likes of Red Dog, Cahill etc want they know who I am and i am more than happy to meet them f2f so they can give me the benefit of their 'wisdom' ...won't hold my breath for the cowards to turn up though....to all the genuine lads on here who have expressed their good wishes to the lads throughout the year thanks...people are entitled to their opinions but personalised abuse and singling out players to pursue petty agendas is against the very ethos of the GAA.

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 697 - 23/06/2019 20:06:33    2199308

Link

Well said Paudie both players and management were a credit to Down hurling this year.. You can have all the structures in place you like but the promotion hurling got over the last fortnight will go a long way to developing our game in Down

dingle82 (Down) - Posts: 172 - 23/06/2019 20:19:20    2199325

Link

Replying To PaudieSull1:  "Some absolute cowards on this website , criticising lads u20 or only slightly older ...some heroes who won't even put their name s to their comments......those lads gave everything they had, have performed brilliantly all year including the guy who scored 16 Pts from play from half forward through NHL and Christy Ring but you refer to as only a free taker....just shows a lot of guys on this are simply moaners with a chip on their shoulder as they were never or could never be as good as the lads that took to the field yesterday.....some will say I shouldn't respond to nameless trolls on the internet but in an age of serious mental health concerns the constant badgering of some players and indeed lads just out of their teens can't go unchallenged ( do ye think the lads or their families don't see these personalised attacks).....if the likes of Red Dog, Cahill etc want they know who I am and i am more than happy to meet them f2f so they can give me the benefit of their 'wisdom' ...won't hold my breath for the cowards to turn up though....to all the genuine lads on here who have expressed their good wishes to the lads throughout the year thanks...people are entitled to their opinions but personalised abuse and singling out players to pursue petty agendas is against the very ethos of the GAA."
Well done to the lads all year, good to get a bit of buzz about Down hurling again.
While I have you, what was the reasoning behind moving the Derry match to Portaferry? (It's been a bit of a bee in my bonnet)

cranfanatic (Down) - Posts: 69 - 23/06/2019 20:44:50    2199359

Link