Kildare Forum

(Oldest Posts First)

Wow, there's a lot going on already !
Two new selectors, a new coach, Johnny Byrne opting out, potentially Mick O'Grady too & Eoghan O'Flaherty potentially coming back. Hard to know what to make of all that !
And then there's Dan Flynn....no disrespect to any of the other players mentioned above but that would be some blow if he wasn't available.....

KildareKelly (Kildare) - Posts: 516 - 08/11/2018 13:53:10    2150203

Link

Replying To KildareKelly:  "Wow, there's a lot going on already !
Two new selectors, a new coach, Johnny Byrne opting out, potentially Mick O'Grady too & Eoghan O'Flaherty potentially coming back. Hard to know what to make of all that !
And then there's Dan Flynn....no disrespect to any of the other players mentioned above but that would be some blow if he wasn't available....."
Think O'Grady would be a huge loss. Lot of speculation around Dan. Heard he was undecided and also heard he might be back after Christmas.

Some talk too that Fogarty has also rejoined the panel. Adam Tyrell might also be in the running after a couple of man of the match displays with Moorefield.

Some decent players in from u20's as well. So overall I think we're still stronger than last year.

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1514 - 08/11/2018 18:18:43    2150266

Link

Kildare are probably the team with the most amount of potential to improve in the country in my opinion. You have a great spread of quality players to pick from before you even go near the this years U20's team. The spine of your team is one of the strongest around with Donnellan in goals and the U20 keeper pushing him, David Hyland full back, Eoin Doyle centre back, Feeley and Moolick at midfield, Paul Cribben at centre forward and the two Flynns up front! I think the U20 manager from last year should not have been let slip away so easy, I would have pushed hard for him to take over from O'Neill this year as he has a passion and enthusiasm about him that I haven't seen from many others, and he got the max out of that Kildare U20 team. No disrespect to O'Neill he did a fine job turning you guys around last year but from what I hear some players are reluctant to recommit because he is still there e.g. Daniel Flynn and Niall Kelly. Kildare have arguably a better overall squad than Mayo and Kerry even at this stage and should be pushing Dublin a lot closer in Leinster with the caliber of players available to you! I know in Meath we don't have anything near the quality of players Kildare have and the day Kildare steam rolled us in Tullamore proves this.

BigJoe14 (Meath) - Posts: 421 - 09/11/2018 12:03:44    2150365

Link

Agree on a lot of your points Bigjoe but from what I hear Niall Kelly is travelling for a year which was made known some time back. Niall had a poor year last year and Cian had no choice but to drop him from the starting 15. Still, Niall is only 24 and had a good club championship. Think the break will do him good.
We are fortunate to have guys coming through though and there will be serious competition for places. Cian has the players, it really is up to him to deliver.

Davy Burke is the new Sarsefields Manager and has made it known that he wants to be county manager.

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1514 - 10/11/2018 13:17:26    2150506

Link

Any news on Flynn lads

Caoimhog88 (Kildare) - Posts: 63 - 28/11/2018 09:06:51    2152682

Link

Replying To Caoimhog88:  "Any news on Flynn lads"
There's talk of the Masters as being his reason for dropping off but it's more than likely he's going to the US for a year. Big loss but looking at the current panel it was never stronger.

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1514 - 02/12/2018 15:49:10    2153070

Link

Disappointing news regarding Flynn, he will be a big loss but can't begrudge a man of his age the opportunity to travel. Good to see Adam Tyrell and Ben McCormack back in there. First game v Carlow on Saturday week, be interesting to see what team is fielded.

ShortGrass_1 (Kildare) - Posts: 220 - 03/12/2018 11:23:39    2153160

Link

Great to see Ben McCormack back. Natural scorer a nd should get his place.

kildare73 (Kildare) - Posts: 830 - 03/12/2018 23:26:30    2153256

Link

O'Grady back in January, that's a plus.

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1514 - 04/12/2018 21:24:33    2153345

Link

Replying To kildare73:  "Great to see Ben McCormack back. Natural scorer a nd should get his place."
Ben, Neil Flynn and Brian McLoughlin FF line in challenge v Maynooth, very impressive. Jimmy Hyland on as sub scored 1-2. Podge had a good game for Maynooth at FF. Looking forward to seeing the line up v Carlow.

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1514 - 12/12/2018 20:03:01    2154140

Link

Lots of positives from today, especially the full forward line and blooding Mark Barrett and Dempsey in the full back line.
Jimmy Hyland wouldn't have been the prime candidate for winning offensive marks if you were to have asked me but he scored from three, which says alot about the quality of ball that went into him in awful conditions

Sweetspot (Kildare) - Posts: 86 - 15/12/2018 17:51:44    2154365

Link

Replying To Sweetspot:  "Lots of positives from today, especially the full forward line and blooding Mark Barrett and Dempsey in the full back line.
Jimmy Hyland wouldn't have been the prime candidate for winning offensive marks if you were to have asked me but he scored from three, which says alot about the quality of ball that went into him in awful conditions"
Yeah, thought Jimmy was used well. Just shows you don't have to be 6ft to get a mark. The three scores he got were from chest high passes. Good to see Barrett playing, he really impressed me at u20. If he's not grabbed by the aussies I can see him making FB. Think he's still u20 this year.
Flats looked lively and sharp and along with 2 pints made a lot of tackles. 16 scores against a blanket in that weather was a good return.

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1514 - 16/12/2018 10:47:40    2154391

Link

Replying To St.Conleth:  "Yeah, thought Jimmy was used well. Just shows you don't have to be 6ft to get a mark. The three scores he got were from chest high passes. Good to see Barrett playing, he really impressed me at u20. If he's not grabbed by the aussies I can see him making FB. Think he's still u20 this year.
Flats looked lively and sharp and along with 2 pints made a lot of tackles. 16 scores against a blanket in that weather was a good return."
Barrett was born in '99 so still u20 for a fact, at the same time I do feel positionally he might be more important to the team this year than the u20/senior boys last year, as well as being capable of making that spot (if not taken by the Aussies as you say). Excited by Jimmy playing as any Kildare man and didn't know Flats was on the beer so that makes better his performance ;) Hartley looked good as well as those you'd expect to look good.

Sweetspot (Kildare) - Posts: 86 - 16/12/2018 11:19:51    2154393

Link

Encouraging signs so far even though it's only the OB Cup. Happy Christmas to all and may we get to see great Summer days with the Lilies in 2019 on the 100 anniversary of our second All Ireland victory.

lilywhite1 (Kildare) - Posts: 2881 - 21/12/2018 16:58:07    2154938

Link

Replying To lilywhite1:  "Encouraging signs so far even though it's only the OB Cup. Happy Christmas to all and may we get to see great Summer days with the Lilies in 2019 on the 100 anniversary of our second All Ireland victory."
As you say, only the OB cup but the appetite and work rate in both games, especially first halves has been unreal for this time of year. New guys are a joy to watch!

Happy Christmas to all and a much better new year:)

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1514 - 22/12/2018 11:13:44    2154987

Link