Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Would not go with Clare beating Tipp in Ennis, been to our advantage at all. If Tipp win in Ennis they are home and hosed for the Munster final and they may not be that motivated the last day, against us, as they would be if they had lost to the Banner. We simply have to beat Waterford and Clare and at least get a draw with Tipp. Cork will definitely beat Waterford in Cork, especially if the Decies lose to us. Now on to Ennis and Clare and Cork. If it goes to a three way four point outcome Cork will almost certainly get though on points difference. Leaving ourselves and Clare to fight out the last place. Of course Waterford could still do some havoc to the apple cart especially if Tipp and themselves win their last two games."
Thats what I said. hope Tipp beat Clare

Hands (Limerick) - Posts: 9 - 23/05/2019 13:25:00    2186873

Link

Replying To Hands:  "How many changes did I recommend??????
I would have suggested Flanagan but I assume he is injured"
My reply wasnt just aimed at you but the general mood of alot of posters on here but seen as you brought up the subject you suggested moving Gillane back to the corner and dowling to start at FF . thats 2 changes , you also hinted that TM and KH might be dropped so thats 4 changes . .
i would agree with Gillane going back to the corner and Flanagan starting in at FF as Quaid had no runners last sunday to gather his Puckouts and Flanagan did this brilliantly last year in PUC and in Croke Park but it looked to me as though he may have done his Hamstring but i have heard nothing on his injury so imo he is doubtful and a big loss if injured .
I dont think Kiely will make too many changes as he may give the lads a chance to redeem themselves but if its not going to plan i woudnt be waiting too long into the 2nd half to bring on subs . we have a very strong panel and they will all be required before this muns round robin is over thats if we can beat waterford which i for one think we will .

WhipOnTheBall (Limerick) - Posts: 120 - 23/05/2019 15:41:49    2186929

Link

Replying To WhipOnTheBall:  "Will yee all catch a grip suggesting wholesale changes . what do yee think that will achieve if you tinker with the team too much . we lose one game and panic sets in . i would only make one change but the man i have in mind may have pulled his hamstring the last day but i wouldnt be pressing the panic button just yet . let the management do their job . we dont want inexperienced players all over the field going in against waterford in a game i feel we must win . The lads were a bit rusty the last day in the 2nd half but i am sure they know they have more to give and need to up it to carry on in this championship and i am sure they will deliver on the 2nd june . God help us if we dont get out of Munster yee will be calling for Kielys head next ."
Moving Dowling to full forward and putting Gillane in the corner is hardly dramatic. Feels more like restoring order. Putting someone different in the half forward line is perfectly reasonable too. Hardly wholesale changes.
Also no one is questioning that the lads don't deserve another shot as there was a general malaise.
What does it look like though to the rest of the panel who are fighting for a place on the starting team to pick the exact same team who considerably underperformed.
I think the subs accept things if they feel the guy on the pitch is going a better job. But if not don't they deserve a chance. Even 2 changes would add a bit of freshness
Also when I think of the amount of quality ball Cork were able to get into their full forward line I actually think our full back line were superb.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 51 - 23/05/2019 17:52:31    2186958

Link

Byrnes has no interest in marking his man. Daniel Kearney has scored 9 points off him in the last 2 championship games against Cork. Daniel Kearny is a small man but by God does he Hoover up loose ball. I think it's a luxury having both Hannon and Byrnes in the half back line.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 999 - 23/05/2019 19:32:44    2186977

Link

Replying To Mads:  "Moving Dowling to full forward and putting Gillane in the corner is hardly dramatic. Feels more like restoring order. Putting someone different in the half forward line is perfectly reasonable too. Hardly wholesale changes.
Also no one is questioning that the lads don't deserve another shot as there was a general malaise.
What does it look like though to the rest of the panel who are fighting for a place on the starting team to pick the exact same team who considerably underperformed.
I think the subs accept things if they feel the guy on the pitch is going a better job. But if not don't they deserve a chance. Even 2 changes would add a bit of freshness
Also when I think of the amount of quality ball Cork were able to get into their full forward line I actually think our full back line were superb."
Good post.esp your point about the fullbacks, they defended really well with a consistent supply of ball falling in on top of them..
Wonder why there was such a lethargic energy though?
That mad hunger we had is satisfied and
Is it a fact that Corks beating at the hands of Tipp and their desperation to win an All ireland, gave a ferocious appetite that we couldn't match, now that we have finally got over the line?

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 502 - 23/05/2019 19:45:53    2186982

Link

Replying To ImokillyMan:  "Hear a lot of fellas saying here needs to be a Plan B but what would Plan B look like. Hurling these days is a possession game and our strength this year was winning possession in the half back line and using it from there. I always felt that the two teams who could beat us thsi year would be Cork and Clare, as they can play a short game that bypasses the half-back line. What surprised me on Sunday was how much possession Cork won from their puck-outs. It looked to me like Limerick were defending zones and didn't follow their men. Nash pucked it out to where Cork had numbers and they made no attempt to catch anything, just brought the ball to ground and won the breaks. We probably could have matched them numbers wise but they were probably afraid of the space that'd be left in front of the Cork FF line. That would be the only plan I'd be looking for off them, how to shore that up. I think we are OK, once we gain possession. We did score 1-19 on what was not a great day for us."
Plan B is probably the wrong expression to use but if you have players beaten all over the place and don't move them to try to get them into the game and when that doesn't work sub them then what ever you call it didn't happen on Sunday. The Limerick management seemed to be in shock and couldn't shake themselves out of it. Subs came on too late.

StandingBear (Limerick) - Posts: 249 - 23/05/2019 21:57:31    2187006

Link

Replying To skillet:  "Good post.esp your point about the fullbacks, they defended really well with a consistent supply of ball falling in on top of them..
Wonder why there was such a lethargic energy though?
That mad hunger we had is satisfied and
Is it a fact that Corks beating at the hands of Tipp and their desperation to win an All ireland, gave a ferocious appetite that we couldn't match, now that we have finally got over the line?"
I think if we fail to make it out of Munster, lack of hunger will be given as the main reason. Jackie Tyrell sounded very harsh and the start of the season when he said we weren't a top 3 team and I definitely think he was over the top.
Of course we are at least top 3 if we play with the same intensity as last year.

I think though Nickie English may have shed light on his possible thinking. Being such a successful former player and manager, it's difficult to ignore his comments. He said that he felt it was going to be extremely difficult to sustain the energy levels that our lads were showing. I mean those round robin matches, all the way up and including the AI final the lads emptied the tank constantly. That Clare game was the downpoint but thankfully we were already through. The lads then went on to get the Fenway and the league.

English said he felt that it was asking an awful lot to maintain those energy levels based on his time as player and manager and felt for this reason that we could get caught later on in the year.
Perhaps the game against Cork in time will be put down to first game rustiness or it will be put down to inevitable exhaustion.
Hopefully, it will be a good thing to be caught now than later on like English was forseeing, and hopefully the lads can get the required energy levels back the next day.
It's my personal opinion and i'm sure not popular with some posters here that if a couple of the non regular starters came in chomping at the bit that things would at least freshen up. I really don't see how it would weaken the team or indeed the panel.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 51 - 23/05/2019 23:18:42    2187021

Link

Totally true. What we had on the sideline on Sunday was shock followed by inaction. The half backs could have been moved..Finn and Casey could have swapped in the fullback line. Hegarty could have been left in Full forward.
And then we had the lack of subs. No Paddy O Loughlin brought into a leaking half back line. No Pat Ryan or Boylan upfront. On comes Dowling in the 55th min...came wasnt even in the balance then it was already nearly out the gap.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 999 - 24/05/2019 07:34:49    2187037

Link

Replying To WhipOnTheBall:  "My reply wasnt just aimed at you but the general mood of alot of posters on here but seen as you brought up the subject you suggested moving Gillane back to the corner and dowling to start at FF . thats 2 changes , you also hinted that TM and KH might be dropped so thats 4 changes . .
i would agree with Gillane going back to the corner and Flanagan starting in at FF as Quaid had no runners last sunday to gather his Puckouts and Flanagan did this brilliantly last year in PUC and in Croke Park but it looked to me as though he may have done his Hamstring but i have heard nothing on his injury so imo he is doubtful and a big loss if injured .
I dont think Kiely will make too many changes as he may give the lads a chance to redeem themselves but if its not going to plan i woudnt be waiting too long into the 2nd half to bring on subs . we have a very strong panel and they will all be required before this muns round robin is over thats if we can beat waterford which i for one think we will ."
Yeah I was recommending 2 changes but that was it. The half forward line would remain but be told in no uncertain terms to get going or else you are pulled at half time the next day. I'm a big fan of Flanagan but he did pull up the last day and looked like the hamstring was gone but no word since. I even feel im a bit harsh on the full forward line considering they got very little ball in 2nd half. Mulcahy will do untold if he gets the ball he craves. I think they should keep interchanging in there and see how it goes.

I think the full back line did as well as they could considering the ball the cork full forward line were getting. Mike Casey apart for the cork goal.

I think we will see a big performance the next day out,.....

Hands (Limerick) - Posts: 9 - 24/05/2019 10:12:10    2187063

Link

Replying To Mads:  "I think if we fail to make it out of Munster, lack of hunger will be given as the main reason. Jackie Tyrell sounded very harsh and the start of the season when he said we weren't a top 3 team and I definitely think he was over the top.
Of course we are at least top 3 if we play with the same intensity as last year.

I think though Nickie English may have shed light on his possible thinking. Being such a successful former player and manager, it's difficult to ignore his comments. He said that he felt it was going to be extremely difficult to sustain the energy levels that our lads were showing. I mean those round robin matches, all the way up and including the AI final the lads emptied the tank constantly. That Clare game was the downpoint but thankfully we were already through. The lads then went on to get the Fenway and the league.

English said he felt that it was asking an awful lot to maintain those energy levels based on his time as player and manager and felt for this reason that we could get caught later on in the year.
Perhaps the game against Cork in time will be put down to first game rustiness or it will be put down to inevitable exhaustion.
Hopefully, it will be a good thing to be caught now than later on like English was forseeing, and hopefully the lads can get the required energy levels back the next day.
It's my personal opinion and i'm sure not popular with some posters here that if a couple of the non regular starters came in chomping at the bit that things would at least freshen up. I really don't see how it would weaken the team or indeed the panel."
Hi Mads. I agree with your comments. English was the only pundit who in any shape or form predicted the season that Limerick had in 2018 and I'd respect his views very highly.

The aspect that keeps ruminating around in my brain is as to what is the performance gap between the first XV (The All Ireland starting) and the second. Everything that I'm hearing is that there isn't a big gap so I'm puzzled as to why all of our subs are almost exclusively forwards. I think there is a gap between the top 3 in the full back line and the alternatives. I also agree that in the circumstances, the full back line did ok. I'd still argue that Ritchie English should be the full back but that's not a big deal as they interchange anyway.

My thinking regarding the half backs and midfield is not as certain outside of Cian Lynch who I thought was heroic in a losing cause. The doubts (is Hannon a robust defender, is Morrissey technically good enough, does Byrnes track his man, is O'Donovan not powerful enough) that were banished by success in 2018 are creeping back in. Other posters may cry heresy and shame but i say that we need to pick our best players as of right now and not based on who was the right selection back in 2018. Think of it from the context that your William O'Donoghue or Philip O'Loughlin sitting on the sidelines watching our half back line malfunction. And malfunction they did in a dreadful second half display. Those two must be and should be pushing very hard for starting positions or else we're all codding ourselves about our vaunted panel depth.

BTW - where is DF when you need him for a grounded debate? I didn't agree with everything that he said but i did agree with a lot of it.

I suspect that Kiely will back his starters against Waterford in the expectation that they will recover their energy and verve but I continue to have the nagging suspicion that we need fresh impetus and energy from somewhere if we're going to keep our title.

I hope that I'm wrong like Varys and Tyrion.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 661 - 24/05/2019 12:02:07    2187088

Link

Replying To Dealer:  "Hi Mads. I agree with your comments. English was the only pundit who in any shape or form predicted the season that Limerick had in 2018 and I'd respect his views very highly.

The aspect that keeps ruminating around in my brain is as to what is the performance gap between the first XV (The All Ireland starting) and the second. Everything that I'm hearing is that there isn't a big gap so I'm puzzled as to why all of our subs are almost exclusively forwards. I think there is a gap between the top 3 in the full back line and the alternatives. I also agree that in the circumstances, the full back line did ok. I'd still argue that Ritchie English should be the full back but that's not a big deal as they interchange anyway.

My thinking regarding the half backs and midfield is not as certain outside of Cian Lynch who I thought was heroic in a losing cause. The doubts (is Hannon a robust defender, is Morrissey technically good enough, does Byrnes track his man, is O'Donovan not powerful enough) that were banished by success in 2018 are creeping back in. Other posters may cry heresy and shame but i say that we need to pick our best players as of right now and not based on who was the right selection back in 2018. Think of it from the context that your William O'Donoghue or Philip O'Loughlin sitting on the sidelines watching our half back line malfunction. And malfunction they did in a dreadful second half display. Those two must be and should be pushing very hard for starting positions or else we're all codding ourselves about our vaunted panel depth.

BTW - where is DF when you need him for a grounded debate? I didn't agree with everything that he said but i did agree with a lot of it.

I suspect that Kiely will back his starters against Waterford in the expectation that they will recover their energy and verve but I continue to have the nagging suspicion that we need fresh impetus and energy from somewhere if we're going to keep our title.

I hope that I'm wrong like Varys and Tyrion."
'BTW - where is DF when you need him for a grounded debate? I didn't agree with everything that he said but i did agree with a lot of it.'

DF got continually harassed with every post he put up by a half wit poster who's still with us unfortunately.
Knows f**k all about hurling and offered nothing constructive.

I'd say DF just got sick of it, life is too short to be dealing with other people's stupidity..Pity really.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 502 - 24/05/2019 14:22:48    2187117

Link

Replying To skillet:  "'BTW - where is DF when you need him for a grounded debate? I didn't agree with everything that he said but i did agree with a lot of it.'

DF got continually harassed with every post he put up by a half wit poster who's still with us unfortunately.
Knows f**k all about hurling and offered nothing constructive.

I'd say DF just got sick of it, life is too short to be dealing with other people's stupidity..Pity really."
Maybe DF changed his name since Limerick won the all Ireland I would also like to hear his views

treaty1973 (Limerick) - Posts: 82 - 25/05/2019 18:32:04    2187320

Link

I believe we need a few changes against Waterford
I would play
Quaid
Finn Casey English
O'Loughlin Hannon Morrissey
Lynch O'Donoghue
Hegarty Hayes Morrissey
Mulcahy Dowling Gillane
It is going to be a very tough match
and I barely gave Hannon the nod.
Although I feel Kiely will make few changes.

[email protected] (Limerick) - Posts: 1 - 25/05/2019 20:10:12    2187339

Link

What about
Quaid
Finn
Casey
English
Byrnes
Wod
Morrissey
Hanley
Lynch
Hego
Hayes
Boylan
Gillane
Flanagan/dowling if flanagan not fit
Mul
I'm not suggesting he plays this team but surely is an option he just might need to freshen things up

someday (Limerick) - Posts: 1043 - 26/05/2019 01:32:08    2187466

Link

Replying To someday:  "What about
Quaid
Finn
Casey
English
Byrnes
Wod
Morrissey
Hanley
Lynch
Hego
Hayes
Boylan
Gillane
Flanagan/dowling if flanagan not fit
Mul
I'm not suggesting he plays this team but surely is an option he just might need to freshen things up"
If we are to make change in the half back line, it definitely would be O'Loughlin in for me. I also think Hanley is a real work horse and would definitely add a lot of fight to the cause. He's a strong and abrasive. If Flanagan is fit, he definitely would add a lot of movement to the forwards.
It will be interesting to see if Kiely does make changes.
Whatever happens hopefully, the lads will shake off that performance against Cork and put our best foot forward.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 51 - 26/05/2019 11:35:28    2187547

Link

What about bringing Hayes back to no6.?

Slade (Limerick) - Posts: 348 - 26/05/2019 18:56:47    2187738

Link

Replying To Slade:  "What about bringing Hayes back to no6.?"
Do we really want to be making drastic changes after one poor showing. As a group they were just off in terms of intensity and accuracy. Mulcahy and maybe Cian Lynch in the second half aside things just didn't click collectively.I think close to the same team will start again assuming Flanagan is carrying an injury. Dowling maybe could come in to full forward line instead of Casey to add a bit of physicality. Maybe the likes of Hanley or Boylan can be given a chance off the bench instead of Dempsey this time round.

Fitzy01 (Limerick) - Posts: 147 - 26/05/2019 21:37:51    2187844

Link

Replying To Fitzy01:  "Do we really want to be making drastic changes after one poor showing. As a group they were just off in terms of intensity and accuracy. Mulcahy and maybe Cian Lynch in the second half aside things just didn't click collectively.I think close to the same team will start again assuming Flanagan is carrying an injury. Dowling maybe could come in to full forward line instead of Casey to add a bit of physicality. Maybe the likes of Hanley or Boylan can be given a chance off the bench instead of Dempsey this time round."
Id agree with you there. I think dowling may well start. I feel there might be one more change possibly in the half forward line.

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 368 - 26/05/2019 22:14:13    2187869

Link