Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Clareman:  "He wants the Clare job, he hinted at it a lot on his podcast, but the powers that be in Clare dont want him. He is more appreciated in Limerick and Galway and beyond that his own county. What a shame.

Kiely will stay I reckon.

What happened with Gillane?"
I heard Daly didn't want the Clare job. Interesting how opposite sources can be. My feeling was he was going to wait a year for Donohue to finish up but that's now been expedited for him if slices are true. It's very strange Clare haven't announced yet re the lads staying on or not. I thought they'd have had enough time now. Daly may have been waiting on Galway deciding????

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 424 - 21/08/2019 16:48:11    2228295

Link

Lads I warned ye about karma after the munster final!!! Ye cant be narrowing pitches for munster finals, I have seen wider golf fareways!! Also fans have to earn the right to be arrogant, ye need another 10 AI's before ye have that.
Ye were patting john kielys back after mun final after pulling one over Sheedys eyes in earlier game, but perhaps the ultimate wool was pulled over his eyes in the mun final?? As Sheedy said after Sunday, eyes were at all times on the big prize.
As I said on an earlier thread ye are lucky Sheedy did not come back last year!!!

PremierGold (Tipperary) - Posts: 108 - 22/08/2019 09:24:16    2228427

Link

Replying To PremierGold:  "Lads I warned ye about karma after the munster final!!! Ye cant be narrowing pitches for munster finals, I have seen wider golf fareways!! Also fans have to earn the right to be arrogant, ye need another 10 AI's before ye have that.
Ye were patting john kielys back after mun final after pulling one over Sheedys eyes in earlier game, but perhaps the ultimate wool was pulled over his eyes in the mun final?? As Sheedy said after Sunday, eyes were at all times on the big prize.
As I said on an earlier thread ye are lucky Sheedy did not come back last year!!!"
I'm sure you don't speak for the majority of Tipperary people who can enjoy their victories with dignity class and respect. Your comments above reflect you as a fan of your county. Not your county. Enjoy your spoils. You clearly have never hurled as any man that has hurled knows comments like that are beneath their scope. Tipp won the AI final and good luck to them. Limerick will be around a few years yet I can promise you that.

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 424 - 22/08/2019 11:10:15    2228461

Link

Replying To PremierGold:  "Lads I warned ye about karma after the munster final!!! Ye cant be narrowing pitches for munster finals, I have seen wider golf fareways!! Also fans have to earn the right to be arrogant, ye need another 10 AI's before ye have that.
As I said on an earlier thread ye are lucky Sheedy did not come back last year!!!"
You have no clue how last year would have gone. Ye went out by narrow margins in 72,'90 92 '10 and 16 yourselves and have not retained the All Ireland in well over fifty years. We will talk again after next years championship. The fact that a county have a lot more All Irelands won in the past does not give anyone the right to be arrogant, which is some thing your post implies. I have attended Limerick/Tipp since the sixties and I have met my fair share of arrogant Tipp supporters too. One example of many. Coming out from the drawn Munster Final in '96 a middle aged Tipp man, with whom i engaged cordially, said 'Tipp will win the replay- they always win replays'. Is that so I said. I went on to tell him as on that day we were ten points in 75 and 81(well fourteen that day), and came back and and won the replays and I was confident we would repeat the dose that year - which we did. In 2007 it was the same. I could throw the '92 League Final, but I do not want to make a long story boring. We are the last county ye should be getting on yere high horses with. I'll admit we have some clowns following us but most counties have a few.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2275 - 22/08/2019 11:18:21    2228465

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "You have no clue how last year would have gone. Ye went out by narrow margins in 72,'90 92 '10 and 16 yourselves and have not retained the All Ireland in well over fifty years. We will talk again after next years championship. The fact that a county have a lot more All Irelands won in the past does not give anyone the right to be arrogant, which is some thing your post implies. I have attended Limerick/Tipp since the sixties and I have met my fair share of arrogant Tipp supporters too. One example of many. Coming out from the drawn Munster Final in '96 a middle aged Tipp man, with whom i engaged cordially, said 'Tipp will win the replay- they always win replays'. Is that so I said. I went on to tell him as on that day we were ten points in 75 and 81(well fourteen that day), and came back and and won the replays and I was confident we would repeat the dose that year - which we did. In 2007 it was the same. I could throw the '92 League Final, but I do not want to make a long story boring. We are the last county ye should be getting on yere high horses with. I'll admit we have some clowns following us but most counties have a few."
Premier. In addition to the above. Did you see the savage and downright dirty tackles that were applied to Peter Casey and Diarmuid Byrnes in the closing stages of the Munster by members of a team who, in your opinion had 'no interest in winning the Munster Final''. Not interested in winning the Munster Final- You could have fooled me.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2275 - 22/08/2019 11:34:11    2228471

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Premier. In addition to the above. Did you see the savage and downright dirty tackles that were applied to Peter Casey and Diarmuid Byrnes in the closing stages of the Munster by members of a team who, in your opinion had 'no interest in winning the Munster Final''. Not interested in winning the Munster Final- You could have fooled me."
Limerick played Tipp 3 times This year under sheedy. They beat them very well twice in the league and Munster final by 12 points. The match tipp won limerick rested 4 all stars and played the panel unlike tipp who played their full team. The tipp hurling people I've spoken to since last Sunday said avoiding limerick in the AI final was a major factor in them winning it. It's plain and simple. Limerick unfortunately slipped up in the semi final that's their cross to bear for the next 6 months. That said tipp beat who were put in front of them and won the AI which is theirs to enjoy now.

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 424 - 22/08/2019 12:03:02    2228483

Link

Replying To daveboy:  "Limerick played Tipp 3 times This year under sheedy. They beat them very well twice in the league and Munster final by 12 points. The match tipp won limerick rested 4 all stars and played the panel unlike tipp who played their full team. The tipp hurling people I've spoken to since last Sunday said avoiding limerick in the AI final was a major factor in them winning it. It's plain and simple. Limerick unfortunately slipped up in the semi final that's their cross to bear for the next 6 months. That said tipp beat who were put in front of them and won the AI which is theirs to enjoy now."
Oh yes Dave. Tipp won the All Ireland and sincere congratulations to them, but I do not see why this gent should come on here dancing on Limericks Hurling Grave.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2275 - 22/08/2019 13:13:18    2228510

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Oh yes Dave. Tipp won the All Ireland and sincere congratulations to them, but I do not see why this gent should come on here dancing on Limericks Hurling Grave."
I agree with you. A "gent" is a stretch. A Troll would be more accurate.

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 424 - 22/08/2019 14:08:11    2228525

Link

I have to say that in my opinion and a lot of people probably won't agree with me on this that even if we justifybly got the correct lineball call and managed to best Kilkenny in extra time I'm not so sure we would have beaten Tipp. Definitely think we would have upped our standards after the poor Kilkenny performance but I genuinely think the all Ireland is completely 50/50. Last year with Clare springs to mind. A lot of Clare people felt they let an Ireland final slip by when they didn't get over the line against Galway because they beat us very well in the munster. I always felt that that result my be a blessing in disguise and we would come at them big time in the final. Cork were the same, if they did get through our match would they have beaten Galway with their lack of physicality, I'm not so sure.
I think Sheedy would have learned a serious amount from that Munster final and they would have been gunning for us. I'm not saying we would have not have won but definitely 50/50

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 103 - 22/08/2019 14:09:51    2228526

Link

Replying To Mads:  "I have to say that in my opinion and a lot of people probably won't agree with me on this that even if we justifybly got the correct lineball call and managed to best Kilkenny in extra time I'm not so sure we would have beaten Tipp. Definitely think we would have upped our standards after the poor Kilkenny performance but I genuinely think the all Ireland is completely 50/50. Last year with Clare springs to mind. A lot of Clare people felt they let an Ireland final slip by when they didn't get over the line against Galway because they beat us very well in the munster. I always felt that that result my be a blessing in disguise and we would come at them big time in the final. Cork were the same, if they did get through our match would they have beaten Galway with their lack of physicality, I'm not so sure.
I think Sheedy would have learned a serious amount from that Munster final and they would have been gunning for us. I'm not saying we would have not have won but definitely 50/50"
Hard to argue with that definitely. It's in the we'll never know category. But what I do know is tipp would have preferred kk. I think limerick put the bed the Clare question in the Munster championship earlier this year. It was all or nothing for both teams that day. Felt like a final before it

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 424 - 22/08/2019 14:42:51    2228542

Link

"..earn the right to be arrogant" that's a good one.

There is absolutely zero arrogance from the vast majority of true Limerick supporters, the team and management. In fact the unpretentious down to earth nature of the average Limerick person is one of the defining characteristics of us a county. There are always the handful of clowns who bang loudest on their keyboards after attending their first match in years and also from certain sections of the media but no, not from the true supporter.

I would say rather than arrogance there is an unrealistic feeling among some of the "traditional " counties that Limerixk got above their station and there is still an element of begrudgery towards the win. Losing to Limerick is not ok. Losing to Kilkenny Tipp or Cork would be more acceptable.

This arrogance is something that is constantly thrown at us when in the main the complete opposite is true and in fact the arrogance is generally coming from the person making the point.

Fitzy01 (Limerick) - Posts: 165 - 23/08/2019 07:14:43    2228683

Link

Replying To daveboy:  "I heard Daly didn't want the Clare job. Interesting how opposite sources can be. My feeling was he was going to wait a year for Donohue to finish up but that's now been expedited for him if slices are true. It's very strange Clare haven't announced yet re the lads staying on or not. I thought they'd have had enough time now. Daly may have been waiting on Galway deciding????"
Trust me he wants it, but he wont get it.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 977 - 23/08/2019 10:48:28    2228714

Link

Replying To daveboy:  "I'm sure you don't speak for the majority of Tipperary people who can enjoy their victories with dignity class and respect. Your comments above reflect you as a fan of your county. Not your county. Enjoy your spoils. You clearly have never hurled as any man that has hurled knows comments like that are beneath their scope. Tipp won the AI final and good luck to them. Limerick will be around a few years yet I can promise you that."
When I said that Limerick fans shouldnt dislike Clare, it was Tipp who are full of it, its this type of arrogance from Premier Gold that I was thinking off.

Limerick in my opinion would have beaten Tipp, the first 15 mins with KK will haunt them.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 977 - 23/08/2019 10:50:34    2228715

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Oh yes Dave. Tipp won the All Ireland and sincere congratulations to them, but I do not see why this gent should come on here dancing on Limericks Hurling Grave."
Ignore him, he is a bad winner and they a bad loser, classic Tipp fan.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 977 - 23/08/2019 10:51:47    2228716

Link

Replying To Fitzy01:  ""..earn the right to be arrogant" that's a good one.

There is absolutely zero arrogance from the vast majority of true Limerick supporters, the team and management. In fact the unpretentious down to earth nature of the average Limerick person is one of the defining characteristics of us a county. There are always the handful of clowns who bang loudest on their keyboards after attending their first match in years and also from certain sections of the media but no, not from the true supporter.

I would say rather than arrogance there is an unrealistic feeling among some of the "traditional " counties that Limerixk got above their station and there is still an element of begrudgery towards the win. Losing to Limerick is not ok. Losing to Kilkenny Tipp or Cork would be more acceptable.

This arrogance is something that is constantly thrown at us when in the main the complete opposite is true and in fact the arrogance is generally coming from the person making the point."
What oft' was said,but ne'er so well expressed.
Thanks

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2275 - 23/08/2019 11:28:15    2228731

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "When I said that Limerick fans shouldnt dislike Clare, it was Tipp who are full of it, its this type of arrogance from Premier Gold that I was thinking off.

Limerick in my opinion would have beaten Tipp, the first 15 mins with KK will haunt them."
I agree with you. That limerick team were savage hungry in 18 to prove to the country they were their own men. Their own team defining it's own path. Their past was not that of precious teams. My overriding feeling of the year was when they had that bit between their teeth they were unbeatable. Waterford league final Clare in Munster tipp in Munster final. In the semi I felt they didn't have that rabid hunger that was seen from kk. That 5% drop off from the Munster final that proved pivotal. This is why it's hard to do back to back esp after a long wait to win the big one.

However this team is young and still wants to define their legacy. That extra 5% you need will be garnered from this year's feeling another team took the big prize. The prize they felt was theirs if they wanted it enough. The bitter taste of the semi defeat will motivate these guys through next year as if they haven't won the AI yet. They will be hugely motivated and I'm expecting a big year from them. Its very rare you see a team win the AI by 14 points and are basically joint favourite with a losing semi final team for the following year.

I think a lot of pundits will have limerick high on their lists for potential winners next year.

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 424 - 23/08/2019 14:32:50    2228788

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Trust me he wants it, but he wont get it."
Why won't he get it if he wants it out of interest? From a limerick man looking in he would be a great appointment . If the two lads were not reinstated who else would be approached in your opinion? Daly has a lot of admirers here in limerick myself included.

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 424 - 23/08/2019 14:36:56    2228789

Link

Less of the whinging and whining premier we won a tough AI last year not like last Sundays- the handiest AI since ye beat Armagh in '89. Nothing wrong with the size of the pitch in Limerick just not enough room for yer fancy forwards to run away to-they left the pitch with all the Tippers that day with 20 mins to go. Role on 2020 and Kiely will rip Liam back out of Sheedys hand. Hon Limerick

updwell (Limerick) - Posts: 350 - 23/08/2019 16:51:01    2228822

Link

Premier karma has nothing to do with winning All Irelands. Want to know how I know that? Simple. Your crowd would never have won one if it did. For years and years ye were the worst shower of supporters and now ye all bitch and moan because some Limerick fans give ye something like the stick ye have been dishing out for years. Enjoy your All Ireland and don't be letting your County Down with this kind of BS. More in your line to watch out for your own Karma.

welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 689 - 23/08/2019 22:49:53    2228917

Link

Some and mean only some Tipp fans trying the old tried and trusted obnoxiousness. And they wonder why they dont do 2 in a row? It's because everyone wants to wipe the Bulmers smile off their ugly mugs the year after they win. Worst winners in the history of team sports over the past 100 years.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1156 - 24/08/2019 22:38:49    2229066

Link