Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

We have had a good year, league & munster champions is not a bad haul. Kilkenny were the better team on the day and deservedly in the final regardless of 65 incident at the end. Would be much unhappier that Buckley should have gotten red for elbow on Nash. End of Kiely's three year term would hope he will remain to go again as think we definitely are good enough to win another

higgins (Limerick) - Posts: 219 - 29/07/2019 11:31:46    2218069

Link

We have had a good year, league & munster champions is not a bad haul. Kilkenny were the better team on the day and deservedly in the final regardless of 65 incident at the end. Would be much unhappier that Buckley should have gotten red for elbow on Nash. End of Kiely's three year term would hope he will remain to go again as think we definitely are good enough to win another
higgins (Limerick) - Posts: 215 - 29/07/2019 11:31:46 2218

Well done Limerick died with the boots on lots of regrets but as you say great year two National titles still an all Ireland in this team wont be going anywhere.

I read that the Leader were predicting 10 point that was stupid can never underestimate the Cats

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 29/07/2019 11:53:12    2218093

Link

Replying To clooney:  "We have had a good year, league & munster champions is not a bad haul. Kilkenny were the better team on the day and deservedly in the final regardless of 65 incident at the end. Would be much unhappier that Buckley should have gotten red for elbow on Nash. End of Kiely's three year term would hope he will remain to go again as think we definitely are good enough to win another
higgins (Limerick) - Posts: 215 - 29/07/2019 11:31:46 2218

Well done Limerick died with the boots on lots of regrets but as you say great year two National titles still an all Ireland in this team wont be going anywhere.

I read that the Leader were predicting 10 point that was stupid can never underestimate the Cats"
I think most Limerick supporters stopped taking notice of what he had to say years ago, will say anything to remain relevant. Had heard about this piece alright and not in the least bit surprised

higgins (Limerick) - Posts: 219 - 29/07/2019 12:16:04    2218111

Link

Replying To LowerTheBlade:  "What happened Declan Hannon last night? Watched the game back but couldn't see any belt he got that had medics in and out to him throughout the half and lads at half time thinking he was confused. He did look very sluggish though, but was it because he wasn't right at all from the start or what?
Either way, he should have been taken off well before half time."
Agree completely , Hannon from a very early stage was not right , there was something amiss and a lot of damage was done down the centre that may have been prevented if he had been replaced earlier .
That and our forwards too far out the field in the second half were the 2 biggest reasons we lost out .

OpenStand (Limerick) - Posts: 179 - 29/07/2019 13:11:52    2218157

Link

Hard luck to both minor & senior panels Saturday. We had an off day that we will learn from.

Our County board need to do whatever it takes to keep hold of this management team. Its crucial and if it happens, we will win the All-ireland in 2020. Alot of counties are going to go through a period of transition over the next 3 years. That's why we are so far ahead of other counties in this regard so its very important we keep things rolling as they are. With talent like Patrick Kirby & Cathal o Neill to add to this panel in the near future we will be a fierce force. I personally can't wait to see Kinnerk & Joe o Connor get there hands on the 2 minors mentioned above. How much those players will improve even more and make us stronger.

As for the match itself, we done nothing wrong tactically but just hit too many wides. When you hit 15 wides then its not your day.
Maybe in future we can be that bit sharper making sub's but I'm sure we will learn from it.

Very disappointed with the officials at the end to not see that sideline deflection. Fair enough the better team won but Kilkenny often won games down the years having not been the best team. 09 all-ireland final comes into mind.

brud (Limerick) - Posts: 909 - 29/07/2019 13:37:26    2218176

Link

Nearly 48 hours later, and I'm still so annoyed over Saturday.
Yes, we can console ourselves given that we hold 3 trophies, and have had a wonderful last 18 months or so, and that this panel and management team certainly owe us nothing, and that Kilkenny were better than us both tactically and in general play for too much of the game….. But it doesn't change how I feel right now.
In hurling, so much is up to the referee's discretion. Like, if a player gets caught in possession, he might get a free for robust tacking, or he can be pulled for overcarrying. Either way, one set of fans is upset….but generally those decisions average out over a game. But some decisions are so much more clearcut. i.e. it's either a 65 or it's not. I'm so annoyed with that final sideline. So annoyed that the linesman didn't interject when Buckley was only about 10 yards away. So annoyed that neither umpire saw it as a 65. So annoyed that, other than Darragh who ran to the linesman, none of the other forwards ran into the umpires (by the time Cian and Brian Geary ran to the ref the final whistle was already blown so he was never going to change his mind at that stage)…..But who was that ref? The same ref that Babs Keating wrote should never be let ref an intercounty game again last year, after Austin Gleeson was deemed to have caught the ball behind the line in the Gaelic Grounds. I wonder if those were the same two blind umpires?

Cmonlimerick (Limerick) - Posts: 12 - 29/07/2019 14:12:03    2218210

Link

Replying To Cmonlimerick:  "Nearly 48 hours later, and I'm still so annoyed over Saturday.
Yes, we can console ourselves given that we hold 3 trophies, and have had a wonderful last 18 months or so, and that this panel and management team certainly owe us nothing, and that Kilkenny were better than us both tactically and in general play for too much of the game….. But it doesn't change how I feel right now.
In hurling, so much is up to the referee's discretion. Like, if a player gets caught in possession, he might get a free for robust tacking, or he can be pulled for overcarrying. Either way, one set of fans is upset….but generally those decisions average out over a game. But some decisions are so much more clearcut. i.e. it's either a 65 or it's not. I'm so annoyed with that final sideline. So annoyed that the linesman didn't interject when Buckley was only about 10 yards away. So annoyed that neither umpire saw it as a 65. So annoyed that, other than Darragh who ran to the linesman, none of the other forwards ran into the umpires (by the time Cian and Brian Geary ran to the ref the final whistle was already blown so he was never going to change his mind at that stage)…..But who was that ref? The same ref that Babs Keating wrote should never be let ref an intercounty game again last year, after Austin Gleeson was deemed to have caught the ball behind the line in the Gaelic Grounds. I wonder if those were the same two blind umpires?"
Officials have a tough job the light sliother skill of players who catch & strike 90 metres in blink of an eye but it always seems to me that the big teams usually gets the breaks pity though as you said that more Limerick players dident complain but i was watching on TV dident notice neither Ger Canning & Brendan Cummins linesman was ahead of the strike C Buckley was too close pity that D Donovan dident try to work it short could have manufactured a free ref often makes a draw off it. Of course it was the poor wides in the end that cost the most.

No consolation at all to Limerick people but I think that Limerick Team have more potential that KK but its on the day that matters

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 29/07/2019 14:42:15    2218235

Link

It was so disappointing to lose in the manner we lost, not getting either a free at the end or a 65 as a result of the sideline.
The number of wides was the main reason we lost and that has been a problem with some time. It is hard to understand
why Declan Hannon was not replaced earlier,especially when their was such an excellent replacement in Barry Nash.
I do not Know why Will O Donoghue was replaced as he was having a very good game. Shane Dowling won the game
for Limerick in last years All-Ireland semi-final against Cork and he could have done the same this year if he had been
brought on earlier. There was cry out for changes well before they were made in last years All-Ireland semi-final, we got
away with it last year but did not last Saturday.
This team have been great ambassadors for Limerick and for hurling, they have ended the famine in Limerick hurling.
Limerick hurling fans will be grateful to them.

fainleog (Limerick) - Posts: 513 - 29/07/2019 16:16:18    2218299

Link

One of the few decisions I could not understand is why Brynes took the last long range free when Dowling was on the field, Dowling much more accurate with long range frees

higgins (Limerick) - Posts: 219 - 29/07/2019 16:44:40    2218327

Link

Replying To higgins:  "One of the few decisions I could not understand is why Brynes took the last long range free when Dowling was on the field, Dowling much more accurate with long range frees"
Yeah I thought the same if there is ever a man for the big occasion it's dowling he revels in pressure.

Also I see a lot of people saying KK were the better team. I would say it was 50\50. We were lost and overcome slightly by KK intensity the first 20 mins but I thought we were the better for a lot of the rest of the match and had we taken a few more chances when on song who knows. In saying that KK took their chances better than we did and deserved the win. It's a pity we didn't get that 65 at the end that part does hurt a bit especially as it was the last play. In truth the game was not lost there though. I hope to god the management and panel take a break now and regroup and all come back to give it one hell of a go again next year. They are all a credit to this county.

Fitzy01 (Limerick) - Posts: 165 - 29/07/2019 21:41:15    2218490

Link

Replying To Fitzy01:  "Yeah I thought the same if there is ever a man for the big occasion it's dowling he revels in pressure.

Also I see a lot of people saying KK were the better team. I would say it was 50\50. We were lost and overcome slightly by KK intensity the first 20 mins but I thought we were the better for a lot of the rest of the match and had we taken a few more chances when on song who knows. In saying that KK took their chances better than we did and deserved the win. It's a pity we didn't get that 65 at the end that part does hurt a bit especially as it was the last play. In truth the game was not lost there though. I hope to god the management and panel take a break now and regroup and all come back to give it one hell of a go again next year. They are all a credit to this county."
I agree with you in that if we took our chances even 3 or 4 points more no one would be saying Kilkenny were the better team overall. The shooting was way off by a number of different players and I suppose that's why we accept that Kilkenny were better. That does not mean however that the 65 should not have been given. In fact it's completely unacceptable As an earlier poster said Kilkenny did not always win being the better team. Sometimes won on sheer resilience. Definitely that '09 final and in 2014 semifinal in the downpour against ourselves. They were dominated for long periods in both of those games.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 103 - 30/07/2019 11:25:19    2218667

Link

maybe this is only 20 20 vision in hindsight but i feel that we fell right into kilkennys trap. We crowded the midfield. They crowded the midfield. It was like a war in the middle third. The more i think about it should we not have changed our style for the first 20 mins to allow the game settle. Maybe traditional positions with plenty long balls into a man on man full forward area and not give kilkenny targets to hit. As I said 20 20 vision

Goldenoldie (Limerick) - Posts: 73 - 30/07/2019 13:56:12    2218735

Link

just saw a video of the 65 from behind o donovan in cusack stand. looked right on target. WHAT A SICKENER

Goldenoldie (Limerick) - Posts: 73 - 30/07/2019 16:26:23    2218792

Link

Replying To Fitzy01:  "Yeah I thought the same if there is ever a man for the big occasion it's dowling he revels in pressure.

Also I see a lot of people saying KK were the better team. I would say it was 50\50. We were lost and overcome slightly by KK intensity the first 20 mins but I thought we were the better for a lot of the rest of the match and had we taken a few more chances when on song who knows. In saying that KK took their chances better than we did and deserved the win. It's a pity we didn't get that 65 at the end that part does hurt a bit especially as it was the last play. In truth the game was not lost there though. I hope to god the management and panel take a break now and regroup and all come back to give it one hell of a go again next year. They are all a credit to this county."
I have to agree with you Fitzy01 in that it was a lot more 50/50 in general play than a lot of commentators have said. Looking back on the video we won as many turnovers with our intensity as KK but when we won the ball we missed the chance to score. A lot of our misses should have been points Gillane, Mulcahy and Lynch in particular in the first half had easy opportunities but missed and I would argue it had nothing to do with KK pressure but bad execution from the lads. If we had scored them the discussion at half time would have been about Limericks great fight back and how we met KKs intensity head on and overcame it but most pundits look at the score first and use the score to say the team in the lead is doing more things right and the team behind is doing a lot wrong. Basically a lethal forward line with good score takers can paper over the cracks and faults in a team and we didn't have that on Saturday

updwell (Limerick) - Posts: 350 - 30/07/2019 18:01:39    2218831

Link

Jaws

Awakening on Sunday morning the birds were singing and the sky was blue. It was a pleasant day and in the distance children could be heard playing. The effects of the long journey to the capital as well as the refreshments in the local hostelry began to subside. Many hours of rest had passed but that heavy feeling in the chest took hold and the sickening knot in the pit of the stomach enveloped through the body. The one second memory of the previous evening flashed into the mind; where hearts were tested and disappointment see sawed on the opposite side of the triumph coin, before the stark realisation of reality. Limerick had exited the Liam MacCarthy Cup at the semi final stage. It was the start of a long day of reflection. Reflecting on what might have been, reflecting on that gnawing numb feeling of regret, reflecting on what the Limerick hurling panel have achieved in the last two seasons. A second all Ireland final had been within touching distance. Now we must watch Kilkenny and Tipperary parade on the greatest occasion in Irish sport. It hurts. It is going to hurt. Hurt may be exactly what is needed.

Kilkenny learned from their league defeat to Limerick in Nowlan Park. The long straight February ball into their forward line was now diagonal July balls. TJ Reid was magnificent getting possession and changing the direction of play. Kilkenny's plan was three fold. (i) Stop Limerick men from catching the ball (ii) stop Limerick men from running with the ball (iii) unleash hell. This is not Brian Cody's most talented bunch of hurlers. But Saturday night's performance might just be from the hardest working group of his era. There was a ferocity to Kilkenny's play that startled our lads. Kilkenny play right on the edge. When Limerick players contested aerial duals Kilkenny men went up with hands grazing Limerick helmets. Kilkenny hit hard, time after time Limerick players didn't even get to take their four steps after getting ball in hand. Kilkenny disrupted and at times halted, in particular they targeted players who have been superb under puck outs for the last two years. They gambled in their forward line. When a Limerick player was in possession Kilkenny men left their marker to swarm the man with the ball. But to say that was all Kilkenny did would be folly. They themselves used the ball extremely well and they pounced on mistakes. They limited wides. They held their nerves right at the death and they rightly take their place in the final. Sincere congratulations to them. They are the kingpins of hurling for a reason.

At times some of Limerick's play was electrifying. Aaron Gillane was a threat all day. Is there a better forward in the country to win his own ball and produce a score? When our lads did manage to run the ball out of defence the stadium came alive. Shane Dowling's goal thirteen minutes from the final whistle was a score of beauty. With pace and power the mighty men in Green surged forward; Lynch to Hayes, Hayes to Dowling and the most outrageous finish to bat the ball into the net. Shane Dowling gave us one of the moments of 2018 with his penalty against Cork and another in his post-match interview by saying Limerick were not just coming to the final to march behind the band. His goal celebration was one of joy but also determination that we had to get back on level terms. When David Reidy pointed the next score the expectation was that Limerick would power on. But Kilkenny's steely resolve etched them further in front. Then came the moment where time stood still. Limerick's build up play was again superb to release Reidy to the left of the goal. Croke Park seemed to fall silent as those of us Green waited for the net to bulge. Instead Eoin Murphy got a block on the sliothar before it was ushered out of play like a chap who was getting messy in a nite club. The chance had come and gone, or had it? Diarmuid Byrnes slotted over the '65 to leave the minimum between the sides. Limerick forced a line ball. Darragh O'Donovan hit it and it seemed to squirm wide. Subsequent videos have gone around on social media which show that his sideline cut may in fact have been on its way over the bar before being deflected out of play by a Kilkenny hurley. No placed ball was awarded. Final whistle, the champions out, abyss. Many years ago Nelly Furtado told us that 'all good things come to an end'. Had they? Were Limerick really out? It was hard to take in. But yes we were.

Hurling is like the film 'Jaws'. Counties take turns at being the hunter and the hunted. Each endure wounds yet fail to go away, returning with an air of menace. Just when you think one is down they resurface showing the scars of battle but ready to end the reign of the opposition. Limerick are like Matt Hooper from the 1974 classic. Studious, brave, taking on board information, hungry for success. Kilkenny are like Martin Brody constantly at odds with the shark until the battle is won for another year and the sequel begins production. The rest of us? We're probably a bit like Quint. Battle hardened, sometimes inebriated, able to tell stories, scarred. Hurling drives us crazy to the point where it engulfs us and we ultimately play our part but are consumed by the game. In the midst of the excitement that music is always playing in our heads until the game is over. Attack is imminent. Hurling produces an array of emotions that can be hard to comprehend. It is like a drug, taking us fans to the highs of Everest to the lows of that one point defeat.

Defending the Liam MacCarthy Cup repeatedly has proven impossible to all apart from Kilkenny. In the last forty years of hurling only Galway (87/88) and Cork (04/05) have won back to back all Ireland hurling titles, Black & Amber apart. Tipperary have not managed this feat since 1965. Limerick were so close to a crack at this coveted prize. But it is not just the excellent panel of players and Management that dares us to dream of further success. Three times in that same forty year era we have seen teams win an All-Ireland, be dethroned and then win it back. Champions Clare fell victim to Ciaran Carey's legendary run and finish in 1996 before sweeping all before them in 1997. All Ireland Champions Tipperary were toppled in Munster by Cork in 1990 before emerging stronger and meaner in 1991 to win the big one back. All Ireland Champions Cork were shocked in the Croke Park rain by Galway in 1985 before beating the same opposition in the all-Ireland final the following year. The break might help this Limerick team. Take time out, shoot the breeze with family and friends, play club hurling. Anyone who follows Shane Dowling on Twitter will know that he has on more than one occasion mentioned that there are more things in life than hurling. Spot on. All we have lost is a title. Our respect and bravery are intact, our loved ones safe. Should this Management team stay together then during dark days in Winter's bowels small things about this defeat may make more sense. Great champions learn from defeats. There is so much more to come from these players.

What has been achieved in a relatively short time has been phenomenal. How the players have carried themselves has been a credit to Limerick GAA. They answered every call to bring the Liam MacCarthy Cup to each high road and by road of the county. Stalwarts have gone to their graves in the interim with a treasured photo of the cherished cup and/or a player/manager. There have been so many highs it has been hard to catch breath. Not only have they won silverware, their play has had us on the edge of our seats in many a game. They have put a smile on the faces of so many Limerick people and it is telling that criticism of those who pick up hurleys on our behalf has been fairly muted. The biggest thing they have done for us it to give us expectation backed up with a proven track record. We now go to games not just in hope, but knowing Limerick are competitors. The players play as though they are lucky fans who are living the dream. This defeat might just have been necessary to pave the way for further great days ahead. Thank You to John Kiely and his team for all the time they have given up and for giving us a team to be proud of.

The Sunday Game panel sent social media into meltdown with a colourful discussion which inspired images of Winston Churchill, Dick Van Dyke and University degrees in hurling. One former Sunday Game panelist led his county to All-Ireland success with roofers, engineers, Gardai and Auctioneers. He even beat Biddy Early. Perhaps, rather than debating the merits of formations and tactics from the past, debating how we get more counties competing at MacCarthy Cup level would have been more appropriate. On September 14th 1997 Ger Loughnane said in the aftermath of an All-Ireland final victory: 'There is no game, no game in the world, like the game of hurling'. Twenty two years on with semi finals producing this quality and drama, his simple words then speak louder than ever now.

If it ain't broken ………

Roll on 2020.

slayer (Limerick) - Posts: 6182 - 31/07/2019 01:13:57    2218970

Link

Well done Slayer,great post,you have captured how most of us Limerick fans feel,looking fwd to 2020 already!

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 337 - 31/07/2019 16:52:37    2219168

Link

Two excellent posts there from updwell (i totally agree that the narrative post game starts with the scoreline and this totally influences the narrative, where all was right for the victors and wrong for the losers) and from Slayer

pj_mcmanus (Limerick) - Posts: 425 - 01/08/2019 18:44:21    2219539

Link

I'd imagine I'm similar to many only just coming round to analyzing Saturday's game now. Amazing the we could have 2 horrendous periods 18 min first half and 13 mins second half when it all went astray and yet we still only lost by one. No point in going over the coals too much. What's done is done. We'll have to watch either tipp or kk climb the steps of the hogan knowing we're probably able for both. Interesting that last year's game v kk balanced on dod clattering Tj while this year Declan's early loss was pivotal.

The players owe us nothing. Most here would have taken just one all Ireland win after all the years of heartache but I suppose now that we've a decent team you'd love to at least get another win to cement them as a great team.

Next year presents a new challenge. Like loughnane said last year we're right down at the bottom of the mountain again. Hopefully Saturday hurts badly for the players and management (in the nicest possible terms). The fighting of wrongs is always a good starting point to get them started but it'll need some crucial learnings from the year. Firstly I suspect we showed our hand too much in the league. Next year there'll be a new all Ireland champion and we won't be under massive focus.
I'd hope to see darragh o Donovan and Flanagan rehabilitated to form. Frankly neither could have any complaints about not starting but we need both. (Perhaps darragh at wing forward option ). We need a big presence at 14 if the game goes like sat. You need a different option. Surprised to see Barry Nash at wing back. I can see the logic in it but I'd wonder is he a better impact up front. As a forward sub I can't help feeling he'd have nailed the Reidy goal chance. While in POL we've a decent player to cover half back.

All in we've been clearly analyzing with our link up play being broken down in the kisses to kk tip and cork. If Kielty and kinnerick are as good as we all hope they'll realize certain tweets are needed.

We'll be back at the sf stage hopefully next year. How we progress from there depends on ourselves. It's a wonderful time to be a limerick supporter.

Sugary_tae (Limerick) - Posts: 3 - 02/08/2019 13:22:35    2219751

Link

It's vital This Limerick team keep the management in place. If kiely and the lads stay on limerick imo will be strong favourites for next year. Give em what they want and get it sorted quickly.

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 424 - 02/08/2019 13:34:46    2219756

Link

Defending an AI is never easy and given the new system and how competitive Munster is the year must be looked as in perspective. Alot of pundits were predicting that Limerick could find it difficult to get out of Munster so to win a league, Munster Final and come within a point of getting to an AI is not a bad year. The most galling aspect is that this was an All Ireland that was within Limerick's grasp and 4 times out of 5 we would have beaten this Kilkenny team.

I have no doubt that this team will be back hungrier than ever next year. They have given us a great 18 months.

journeyman (Limerick) - Posts: 33 - 02/08/2019 14:09:08    2219771

Link