Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To katser:  "Tut tut tut, terrible attempt at defending the All Ireland....should have been hammered and good ridones!!!"
Typo error....good riddance!!

katser (Galway) - Posts: 704 - 27/07/2019 20:33:47    2217230

Link

Replying To welpastit:  "I know both Mulcahy and Casey are flying right now but with the physicality of the Kilkenny full back line does anyone see a case for starting Flanagan at 14?"
Really think given Kilkenny strength at the back not starting Flanagan was a huge error. All year we have been asking a top class forward like Gillane to do the spade work and leaving him to the mercy of the likes of Cadogan and Lawlor. Gillane should be a finisher and nothing else. I know P Casey has been excellent but I bet a manager as ruthless as Cody would have dropped him for Flanagan

welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 689 - 27/07/2019 21:09:10    2217256

Link

Replying To Breezy:  "We were outplayed. None of those wides were tactical problems they would have went over other days. We just were not at our best and KK were"
We ll have to disagree on that. I'm sorry but theres no excuse for missing chances 30 yards out or snatching at chances. Morrissey, Hegarty, even Mulcahy.. Gillane doesn't take that extra step that the Kilkenny boys do, just to steady himself. Limerick nearly lost the All Ireland last year because of wides and theyve got hurt badly today because of them. Hats off to Kilkenny, the better team won but it's an aspect of Limericks game that's never improved.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1154 - 27/07/2019 21:40:04    2217285

Link

On the way back, I want to start on a positive note and say that Inspite of the number of wides throughout the match, which really could have killed our lads' hearts they kept on going like tigers right to the death. In truth, it would have been a get out of jail win with Dowling being the hero once more.. yes it is downright wrong that the last "wide" was actually a 65 but the worst thing to swallow was even after going down a whopping 9 points we had buckets loads of chances to win the match never mind draw. We shot ourselves in both feet 10 times over.
And yes on this point I agree with bloodyban we have had several matches where the wide count should have come back to bite us. Today was that day.
People will talk now about the 4 week lay off but how come Barry Nash who probably played 5 mins of a Munster final looked like the sharpest player on the pitch. He was outstanding. Maybe it's collective fatigue from the last 20 months. We'll never know.
Kiely did launch the subs who did have positive influence. definitely not going to name particular players but I felt he should have subbed off one or 2 a bit earlier. They seemed out of sorts even when not under pressure.
Alas when the dust settles, they are still a fantastic crew who have given everything for the cause thus far. Did any of us ever dream of holding all 3 cups at once

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 103 - 27/07/2019 21:41:38    2217289

Link

Replying To katser:  "Typo error....good riddance!!"
We were beaten today and we congratulate KK and we will not be whinging bitterly about losing for the next year. The fact is Galway have a disastrous campaign and are long gone.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2269 - 27/07/2019 22:53:45    2217331

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Shambles. Game over after 17 mins. Wides kill teams and they are just shocking"
Well you lost faith pretty quickly

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2269 - 27/07/2019 22:55:12    2217334

Link

Replying To Mads:  "On the way back, I want to start on a positive note and say that Inspite of the number of wides throughout the match, which really could have killed our lads' hearts they kept on going like tigers right to the death. In truth, it would have been a get out of jail win with Dowling being the hero once more.. yes it is downright wrong that the last "wide" was actually a 65 but the worst thing to swallow was even after going down a whopping 9 points we had buckets loads of chances to win the match never mind draw. We shot ourselves in both feet 10 times over.
And yes on this point I agree with bloodyban we have had several matches where the wide count should have come back to bite us. Today was that day.
People will talk now about the 4 week lay off but how come Barry Nash who probably played 5 mins of a Munster final looked like the sharpest player on the pitch. He was outstanding. Maybe it's collective fatigue from the last 20 months. We'll never know.
Kiely did launch the subs who did have positive influence. definitely not going to name particular players but I felt he should have subbed off one or 2 a bit earlier. They seemed out of sorts even when not under pressure.
Alas when the dust settles, they are still a fantastic crew who have given everything for the cause thus far. Did any of us ever dream of holding all 3 cups at once"
All-Ireland , League and Munster champions. Thanks to players and management for great run.
Average age less than 24 .. great days still ahead.
All for now, except to say : What about officiating in general for hurling especially.. 2nd ref? Instant replay of controversial calls?

Come On Ye Boys In Green

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1055 - 28/07/2019 00:01:42    2217352

Link

Incredibly disappointing day and I feel for the players more than anyone else. They will feel they did not do themselves justice against kk but they have given us an amazing 12 months. I think these lads will come back stronger next year. It's little solace now but might sharpen the edge for days like this again. All Ireland's are hard won. The age profile and management structure is better than anything around for next 5 years so I'm positive there's more big days to come. Learn respond achieve.

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 424 - 28/07/2019 00:38:20    2217359

Link

Tough day for the players but as always with this bunch never gave in wasn't at the game unfortunately as that was a day that showed the resilience of this bunch and if they had got the 65 and nailed it I think they would have got over the line in ETvi think Hannob got the Hickey 07 treatment Was targeted by the cats.
But have great faith in this team and management will be back Again better for this
I feel as proud a fan to support this team tonight as I did when they won last year.

Limdreamer (Limerick) - Posts: 69 - 28/07/2019 02:43:43    2217386

Link

First off a big thanks to all involved it's been a great 18 months or so following this panel of players. When the dust settles I'm sure there will be some regrets from all involved. Agree with previous poster sideline too slow making changes when obvious some players were struggling, not the players fault they've been immense for limerick but last night wasnt their night and it's why we have a panel. Wides - well at least 4 players will scratch their heads and wonder how they missed chances, again it happens. Ref/sideline official/umpires - 65 all day long and not good enough at this level that it was missed. Lastly re Seamus Flanagan my view is that a 2018 version of Seamus Flanagan starts all day long, the 2019 version doesn't and that's largely up to the player himself as to which version we get in 2020.

Sean Wall (Limerick) - Posts: 141 - 28/07/2019 06:14:28    2217393

Link

Firstly can I thank all the players and mgmt for their efforts over last while though I'm so disappointed and waking up with that pang in the stomach isn't nice I'm genuinely optimistic actually very optimistic its not all doom and gloom. Let's look at the facts we handed them a 9 pint lead and got it back to the minimum of course questions have to be asked why that happened but that's for another day in short we didn't hurl at all and came up just short they died with their boots on . Like others I thought subs should have been brought on earlier dowling made some difference and an ace from the pack was nash remember also flanagan barely featured this yr I'm not privy to the reasons but he did look out of sorts when he did play if we got him back to 2018 form lads we'll be back here again next yr.
There's so much positives we can take on going forward if the same commitment by the players is given next yr I've no doubt we'll be back at the top again next yr.

someday (Limerick) - Posts: 1073 - 28/07/2019 09:13:06    2217417

Link

Every single Kilkenny fan I met yesterday whinged and moaned about almost every single free given against them. They moaned about the penalty which all analysts agree was a penalty. Cillian Buckleys tackle on Nash was outrageous. Will he be banned retrospectively as Waterfords Gleeson was for the 17 final? Kilkenny get away with murder and their fans expect it probably because they continue to do so. On the plus side their work rate and tactics were exceptional but Barry Nash is lucky he wasn't seriously hurt yesterday

Green2debone (Limerick) - Posts: 17 - 28/07/2019 10:22:57    2217433

Link

Replying To PatOLogical:  "All-Ireland , League and Munster champions. Thanks to players and management for great run.
All for now, except to say : What about officiating in general for hurling especially.. 2nd ref? Instant replay of controversial calls?

Come On Ye Boys In Green"
Amen to that. We lost by the odd point in 47 and experts all over this board are telling us how we played badly and how much better than us Kilkenny were. If they were that much better after getting a nine point lead they have beat us out the gate. Fact is no team has ever regained the McCarthy Cup after more than a ten year absence and retained it the following year except Wexford in 1956 and they were the nucleus of a team that had lost two previous finals beforehand. I still great hopes for this team, but lessons must be learned from yesterdays expierience for all involved, both management and panel.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2269 - 28/07/2019 10:38:12    2217446

Link

Replying To PatOLogical:  "All-Ireland , League and Munster champions. Thanks to players and management for great run.

Come On Ye Boys In Green"
Totally agree

someday (Limerick) - Posts: 1073 - 28/07/2019 10:40:45    2217447

Link

Replying To Green2debone:  "Every single Kilkenny fan I met yesterday whinged and moaned about almost every single free given against them. They moaned about the penalty which all analysts agree was a penalty. Cillian Buckleys tackle on Nash was outrageous. Will he be banned retrospectively as Waterfords Gleeson was for the 17 final? Kilkenny get away with murder and their fans expect it probably because they continue to do so. On the plus side their work rate and tactics were exceptional but Barry Nash is lucky he wasn't seriously hurt yesterday"
I'll have to second that same for me yesterday and last yr in thurles.
Learn our lessons and move on it won't be long coming around again. All Ireland's aren't easy won kk tipp cork Galway etc are all hard beat but we are more than a match for them.

someday (Limerick) - Posts: 1073 - 28/07/2019 11:06:49    2217468

Link

Sad morning for Limerick hurling. However, It's only a game nobody died. We will have more good days. A final reflection as we wrap up this year. People say goals win matches, but I believe wides loose matches and we had one wide too many. I am convinced we would have won in extra time. How can a referee, a linesman and an umpire all miss what should have been a 65? These things happen but shouldn't happen in a match as important as an All Ireland semi-final.

To the management and backroom team thank you. To the players thank you for the past two seasons, you lifted our spirits by delivering all that could be won but in particular ending the 45-year wait for Liam McCarthy.
The microanalysis of the performance can wait until next year. For now, let's end this chapter and look forward to the Spring of next year when we will do it all again.

paddyG (Galway) - Posts: 90 - 28/07/2019 11:34:05    2217483

Link

We have great players and great management. They are great individuals as well as great sportsmen but we need to be careful we dont adopt a good loser approach. We need to accept that we lost this due to mistakes on the line and due to lack of intensity for the first 20 minutes. It's counter productive to brush over these facts. We don't want to be like Mayo with a hard luck story every year. We need to accept our failings if we are to become ruthless winners. The truth is that this All Ireland was ours to lose and we contrived to lose it. There are more All Irelands in this group but only if we don't gloss over the big mistakes made yesterday.

welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 689 - 28/07/2019 11:47:29    2217490

Link

These boys don't owe any of us anything . But for the life of me I will never understand the column in the leader by our back page man this week. .Was he employed by Cody? My reservation s bout result were fuelled immediately on reading it.It was an insult to kk integrity to say we would beat them by 10 or 12 points. And then repeatedly state how we couldn't lose..if Cody needed ammunition it fell into his lap..Amazing stuff from someone who normally stays on on low key track..

flyinghigh (Kerry) - Posts: 205 - 28/07/2019 12:55:15    2217520

Link

Game over Kilkenny won the match.
Am not talking from "sour grapes" point of view BUT

There is an element of the game becoming not just "on the edge" but completely beyond the bounds of safety.

Did not see the the cause of injury to Declan Hannon.
Wonder if it could be isolated and put on YouTube for further freebies,debate. May be perfectly innocent but may prevent future injuries to all players in all codes.

Maybe Croke Park needs to be awoken from its slumber..
How about it?

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1055 - 28/07/2019 13:16:33    2217526

Link

Game over Kilkenny won the match.
Am not talking from "sour grapes" point of view BUT

There is an element of the game becoming not just "on the edge" but completely beyond the bounds of safety.

Re Did not see the the cause of injury to Barry Nash. Wonder if it could be isolated and put on YouTube for further freebies,debate. May be perfectly innocent but may prevent future injuries to all players in all codes.

Maybe Croke Park needs to be awoken from its slumber..
How about it?

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1055 - 28/07/2019 13:19:09    2217528

Link