Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To ONdeDITCH:  "I see Limerick play Kilkenny in the minor game also on Saturday at 4pm.Is there much interest in the game in Limerick...reports say tickets are selling slow which is really surprising!"
No ruch I suppose as its not expected to be a sell out

Breezy (Limerick) - Posts: 375 - 21/07/2019 22:45:40    2214389

Link

I know both Mulcahy and Casey are flying right now but with the physicality of the Kilkenny full back line does anyone see a case for starting Flanagan at 14?

welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 694 - 22/07/2019 09:20:18    2214483

Link

Replying To welpastit:  "I know both Mulcahy and Casey are flying right now but with the physicality of the Kilkenny full back line does anyone see a case for starting Flanagan at 14?"
Not sure to be honest. Mul and Casey were excellent against Tipp in the munster final, physically well able to mix it also.

Both have a serious skill set and are a scoring threat that Flanagan doesn't offer at the moment.

His first touch has been poor, serious athlete but hurling wise not at the level of last year.
Can't see him starting even though earlier in the season thought we missed his presence in the full forward line.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 596 - 22/07/2019 14:53:00    2214749

Link

Replying To welpastit:  "I know both Mulcahy and Casey are flying right now but with the physicality of the Kilkenny full back line does anyone see a case for starting Flanagan at 14?"
I would say the same team will start. Casey has done enough all season to start and the other 2 are nailed on. Its starting to get close to nervy time now and hopefully we can hit the ground running and get up to championship pace right away. We need to put in a performance to match what we did against Clare and Tipp and that should be enough to see us through, but Kilkenny will not be beaten until the 70+ minutes are up.

Clubgaa (Limerick) - Posts: 829 - 22/07/2019 15:20:41    2214767

Link

In 2013 David Attenborough warned about the damage that cats were doing to British wildlife. Around the same time, Marty Morrissey or any other clued in hurling media mogul could have given the same warning in Ireland. The Kilkenny cats were in the middle of an awesome ten year period of hurling domination in Ireland. While 2013 was not their year it was a year that captured perfectly the Limerick mantra of that era; 'nearly'. Limerick won the Munster Championship and excitement rose to fever pitch before being brought to earth with a Banner Bang. All Ireland Semi final defeat hurt, hurt really badly if we are being honest. The hurt was so bad that the only person who spoke in our car going home was a young lad bawling for a feed. 'Next year' was a phrase we never wanted to hear again. Sadly next year was more of the same.

The 2014 All-Ireland semi final between Kilkenny and Limerick can be summed up in one word; 'epic'. TJ Ryan and Donal O'Grady had been joint Managers of the side before the Cork man left due to classic Limerick Achilles heel activities. TJ's men played with passion and inspiration in the rain. After half time the heavens opened sending child and parent alike to the upper tiers. Alas as people watched from the Gods an Eoin Larkin goal ended Limerick dreams. Despite playing Kilkenny off the park for a ten minute period where Limerick outscored their opponents by five points to nil, we left empty handed. Seamus Hickey's post-match interview mirrored the hurt we all felt. He was proud to win man of the match but ultimately he wanted the win. We all did. That day I left Croker wondering just what Limerick had to do in order to win the Liam MacCarthy Cup.

NHL

The Black & Amber jerseys have always made Limerick people more alert. Limerick have never feared Kilkenny, there has been no need to. However when facing them in League and Championship Kilkenny have always shown Limerick teams respect. They know they'll get a physical battle. They know Limerick will throw the kitchen sink at them. They just found ways to get past us. My earliest memories of them go back to the 1983 National Hurling League Final. Limerick had a fine team and having been in the All-Ireland final in 1980 & semifinal in 1981 we fancied our chances of beating them in the League decider in Thurles. Crowds flocked as it was a novelty to play them in a final. There was blood and thunder before they ultimately ran out 2-14 to 2-12 winners. Kilkenny won the Leinster Championship and Limerick lost to Cork in Munster. Kilkenny beat Cork in the all-Ireland final. No disgrace losing to the Cats, but we have always wanted more from these meetings.

One game that stands out between the sides was a league game in Nowlan Park in October 1984. The great Tommy Quaid (RIP) had made a couple of bad errors in the Championship against Cork a few months earlier. He played the majority of the National Hurling League games outfield and he scored 1-3 against Kilkenny in a 5-8 to 1-18 win. Pat McCarthy who would later blitz Clare in the League Final scored a hat trick of goals. Leaving Nowlan Park that day was sweet. Any day you beat Kilkenny in hurling is sweet. One thing that stood out though was the frightening ferocity of the Kilkenny men. Dick O'Hara sported a beard and was like a fearsome looking Viking as he marked Ollie O'Connor. That Kilkenny team were tough men, they could take punishment on the field of play and God bless anyone who tried it on with them.

Over the years the meetings were run of the mill in the National Hurling League. There was a league play off game in 1997 where Limerick demolished Kilkenny en route to winning the NHL title. There was an NHL semi final in Limerick in 2002 which was hot tempered and frantic. Kilkenny won 2-14 to 0-15 but as often happened they admired how Limerick stood up to them. Then came the NHL final of 2006. With Cork having won back to back All-Irelands in 2004/2005 Kilkenny were developing a ruthless new game plan to get goals. Both sides hit fourteen scores apiece but Kilkenny's finishing power was the difference with Kilkenny winning 3-11 to 0-14 in Thurles. It served them well, they won the All-Ireland final four months later.

Championship

Kilkenny & Limerick had met in the 1973 & 1974 All-Ireland finals. We of course won the first with Ritchie Bennis producing hurling from another galaxy to elevate those beautiful Green & White jerseys towards heaven itself. Going for back to back glory we were torn apart in the 74 decider. Amazingly the sides didn't meet again until 2005 mainly due to the muddy waters of Munster but Limerick again hopped off the Cats & gave them something to think about. Unfortunately I couldn't attend this game due to a holiday in Cyprus. Sitting in a bar bedecked in Green & White, one our crew got to his feet shouting 'easy easy easy' as TJ Ryan pointed the opening free of the game. When Kilkenny went in front 0-8 to 0-1 a lot of Kilkenny holiday makers were looking our way singgering. Limerick recovered somewhat, eventually going down by 0-18 to 0-13. Kilkenny went out at the semi final stage so perhaps neither side was at their best.

In 2007 the sides met in the final. Limerick had a most wonderful year including the trilogy of games against Tipperary and a Munster Final appearance. There is a sense that we 'caught' Waterford in the All Ireland semi, but in truth we turned a 9 point Munster Final defeat into a 5-11 to 2-15 win against the Deise. The experience of the final was somewhat surreal. The Sopranos TV show had ended in June that year and Journey's 'Don't Stop Believin' had been rocking the charts. It became somewhat of an anthem for our lads approaching the final. What nobody saw coming was how ruthlessly the Cats would start. 2-3 to 0-0 in an instant. Seamus Hickey getting roughed up by Henry Shefflin before Brian Geary was booked for sticking up for his team mate. After the game Limerick Manager Ritchie Bennis said 'Kilkenny have a ferocity that we aspire to'. Maybe the problem was that we didn't start believin. Either way it was a pleasure to see Limerick in an All-Ireland final. Coppers was too packed that night though - every round had to be a treble when drinking with big bullocks of men.

The 2012 quarter final summed up a lot about battles between both counties. In a frenzied second half period Kilkenny opened Limerick's defence like a freshly caught kipper on a trawler with two deadly goals. Tom Condon had stuck to Henry Shefflin like glue in the first half and still the Kilkenny great scored one of the greatest goals seen in hurling. Limerick man Wayne McNamara had absolutely buckled Richie Power with a shoulder in the second half. Limerick's physicality was never questionable against Kilkenny. But they brought on TJ Reid for Power and Reid was instrumental in our demise. A substitute so good you wouldn't see him on a PlayStation.

The intensity of the 2014 semi final could never be matched so when the sides met in the qualifiers in 2017 Limerick were hoping to shock the home side but ultimately failed. That game however gave us hope that we were getting closer. When we met Kilkenny in the 2018 quarter final we seemed by far the better side but you can't write them off. A Richie Hogan goal late on made it seem like same old story but Tom Morrisey's point showed the new composure in the side. In the past a Limerick man would have lashed it upfield, but he had the confidence to slow down, take a challenge and put the ball over the bar. A Late Shane Dowling free sealed it. Limerick went on to be champions. You cannot beat Kilkenny and then fail to win the All-Ireland. Beat the best, become the best.

Aftermath

The trip to Nowlan Park last February was a memorable day. Limerick produced a performance of sheer brilliance before Kilkenny made the score respectable. You'd be a fool to treat that game as a litmus test for Saturday evening. Kilkenny are the kingpins of the game with more All-Ireland titles than anyone else. While Limerick are favourites that tag never sits well with Limerick teams. We are at our best when written off and we produce a performance. However since winning Liam MacCarthy last August we have powered on to NHL & Munster Championship success. Kilkenny lost the Leinster final but were impressive against Cork. That said, Cork have been conceding massive scores all season even conceding 1-19 when impressively beating Limerick. People say Limerick should win. Our record in All Ireland semifinals since & including 1980 is P10 W5 D1 L4. Interestingly in the last two championship meetings and in the NHL game five months ago, Kilkenny haven't scored a goal. If they rattle the net early on Saturday we could be in for a rollercoaster.

Cody

Sincere hat tip to this man. What he has achieved in hurling is unparalleled. This is his twenty first season as Manager and he has weighed down Kilkenny's trophy cabinet like a fat man sitting on a see saw. His body language, baseball cap and customary post-match handshake with the opposition Manager (despite having words with him through games) will be missed when he leaves his post. It is four years since his team won the big one, he is doing all in his power to put Kilkenny back on top of the pile. A lesser man might be happy with his lot and let his CV do the talking. You always get the feeling that Cody sees his CV as dependent on the next game. Legend.

Kiely

What this man has done for Limerick hurling is unreal. Picture a Skoda Superb with dirty diesel becoming a Ferrari. No matter what happens this year he and his Management team have given us something to be immensely proud of. No matter what happens this year we will have a team to compete in 2020.

Verdict

Don't bet on this one. Save your money for the match and enjoy a horse load of Heineken and Chips.

Luimneach Abú.

slayer (Limerick) - Posts: 6189 - 22/07/2019 15:26:05    2214771

Link

Replying To skillet:  "Not sure to be honest. Mul and Casey were excellent against Tipp in the munster final, physically well able to mix it also.

Both have a serious skill set and are a scoring threat that Flanagan doesn't offer at the moment.

His first touch has been poor, serious athlete but hurling wise not at the level of last year.
Can't see him starting even though earlier in the season thought we missed his presence in the full forward line."
Very honest, hardworking selfless player. Like you say doesn't seem to be as good as 2018 form. Injuries haven't helped him to gain momentum..
For me he doesn't seem suited to coming off the bench.. He'll hastle like mad but sometimes you need a sub to nip in with a score like Peter Casey and Dowling did time and time again last year. Who knows maybe he's tearing it up in training. Kiely and Co will know best.
Very stark figures thrown out there about the number of semis Munster teams have lost and indeed the number of semis Kilkenny have won. Incredible.
Really hope both trends won't continue on Saturday.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 112 - 22/07/2019 20:11:30    2214943

Link

I think Flanagan is a good option to start. Like people say hes more suited to starting. If he got on the first ball or 2 and takes on his man he could go to town on him. His finishing is hit or miss but he is a powerhouse, he ll blow guys out of it. I think he hasn't been coached very well since last year . He needs to simplify his game.
1. Get the ball in your hand.
2. Settle
3. Take on your man
4 . Go for goal
5. Wait for the chance or the foul
6. Pass or go down and win your free or penalty.
7. Repeat
Mulcahy and Casey stand up physically but they cant hurt a player like Flanagan can...remember his challenge on McInerney last year. He went chest first into McInerney..the ref therefore couldn't give a free and he bounced McInerney. Flanagan would be a great first centre in Rugby....to go right up the middle .

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1176 - 23/07/2019 09:59:39    2215106

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "I think Flanagan is a good option to start. Like people say hes more suited to starting. If he got on the first ball or 2 and takes on his man he could go to town on him. His finishing is hit or miss but he is a powerhouse, he ll blow guys out of it. I think he hasn't been coached very well since last year . He needs to simplify his game.
2. Settle
3. Take on your man
4 . Go for goal
7. Repeat
Mulcahy and Casey stand up physically but they cant hurt a player like Flanagan can...remember his challenge on McInerney last year. He went chest first into McInerney..the ref therefore couldn't give a free and he bounced McInerney. Flanagan would be a great first centre in Rugby....to go right up the middle ."
im amazed john kiely hasn't brought onto he's management team.

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 810 - 23/07/2019 10:08:29    2215112

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "I think Flanagan is a good option to start. Like people say hes more suited to starting. If he got on the first ball or 2 and takes on his man he could go to town on him. His finishing is hit or miss but he is a powerhouse, he ll blow guys out of it. I think he hasn't been coached very well since last year . He needs to simplify his game.
2. Settle
3. Take on your man
4 . Go for goal
7. Repeat
Mulcahy and Casey stand up physically but they cant hurt a player like Flanagan can...remember his challenge on McInerney last year. He went chest first into McInerney..the ref therefore couldn't give a free and he bounced McInerney. Flanagan would be a great first centre in Rugby....to go right up the middle ."
If Flanagan was to start who would you put on the bench?
For me Mulcahy has been overall more consistent but Peter Casey might gain more confidence from his fantastic performance against Tipp.
Like I said I don't think Flanagan would be a great impact subs but neither of these 2 probably deserve to put on the bench based in form.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 112 - 23/07/2019 10:16:46    2215116

Link

2. Settle
3. Take on your man
4 . Go for goal
7. Repeat
Who would you drop for Flanagan? Seamus has been very unlucky with injuries at bad times this year. I don't thinking the coaching is the problem whatsoever.

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 433 - 23/07/2019 10:21:08    2215120

Link

Quaid
Finn Casey English
Byrnes Hannon Dan
Lynch WoD
Hego Hayes Tom
Gillane Mul Casey

Don't see any changes from Munster final for team. The bench I feel will be along very similar lines also unless a player is really putting their hand up in training. I just wonder about a guy like boylan as a bit of a bolter for the 26 jersey. Good in air and a possible plan c/d option if things not going our way. Anyway kiely and the team will make the right calls.

The key to Saturday is attitude. If that's good all the other things will follow...work rate/application/energy/process/conversion. Kiely pre match presser yesterday was again on the money. All the right notes coming from the camp. A clean bill of health is an enormous luxury for this time of year (Murphy excepted).

The hype is very muted across the county as opposed to last year but there's expectation this year where there was utter excitement last year with the thoughts of an AI semi final. I expect an enormous battle Saturday. The physicality of kk will be enormous. They're also getting key serial AI winners back on form....

Expect the kitchen sink being hurled our way the weekend. These boys will deal with it. Luimneach abu.

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 433 - 23/07/2019 10:51:51    2215135

Link

Replying To munsterchamps:  "im amazed john kiely hasn't brought onto he's management team."
Couldnt agree more, absolute nonsense again from bloodyban

McFan88 (Limerick) - Posts: 371 - 23/07/2019 13:39:28    2215249

Link

Replying To McFan88:  "Couldnt agree more, absolute nonsense again from bloodyban"
Agreed and good to note. Poster sounding more like a disruptor or "troll".

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1079 - 23/07/2019 14:33:34    2215285

Link

Replying To Mads:  "If Flanagan was to start who would you put on the bench?
For me Mulcahy has been overall more consistent but Peter Casey might gain more confidence from his fantastic performance against Tipp.
Like I said I don't think Flanagan would be a great impact subs but neither of these 2 probably deserve to put on the bench based in form."
No I couldn't bench any of the full forward line with the current form they are in.. Maybe Mulcahy at a stretch if Kiely really wanted to start Flanagan.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1176 - 23/07/2019 17:57:44    2215378

Link

Replying To PatOLogical:  "Agreed and good to note. Poster sounding more like a disruptor or "troll"."
That's ironic coming from the rudest poster on the page. You've no manners and that's a shame because every so often you do post good stuff but then you go and ruin it by being rude. You've been badly brought up Pat.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1176 - 23/07/2019 17:59:41    2215380

Link

Limerick - 8
Wexford to beat Tipp (a nice double)

As for Saturday nights team I can see no change from the Munster final.
Onwards and upwards just 2 more games.

[email protected] (Limerick) - Posts: 23 - 23/07/2019 19:15:58    2215400

Link

Replying To [email protected]:  "Limerick - 8
Wexford to beat Tipp (a nice double)

As for Saturday nights team I can see no change from the Munster final.
Onwards and upwards just 2 more games."
I backed Limerick and Wexford to win @ 11/2

I can't see Davy letting Tipp beat him. He will plan Tipp's downfall down to a Tee

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 179 - 23/07/2019 20:50:56    2215442

Link

In the name of all that is positive..its a wonderful time to be a Limerick supporter.
Someone mentioned earlier we have Liam McCarthy, Leauge and Munster Championship trophy , (and yes, Fenway Cup) ... I'm telling everybody, let them call me a braggart.. why wouldn't I?

Thanks to players and management. This statement holds till end of year and beyond.

Can't help but think that selectors have the toughest and most thankless job in Limerick hurling at the moment but what a windfall for us the fans.

Come On Ye Boys in Green... Declaw Dem Cats.

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1079 - 23/07/2019 22:15:19    2215488

Link

Replying To daveboy:  "Who would you drop for Flanagan? Seamus has been very unlucky with injuries at bad times this year. I don't thinking the coaching is the problem whatsoever."
I think Flanagan's downfall was being sent off against Wexford. Yes he did pick up an injury or two along the way but i think his confidence took a knock after Wexford Park.
I certainly wouldn't drop Casey or Mul. Two of the hardest working players in the game. To be the devils advocate, if I had to drop someone it would be Tom Morrissey. I thought he had very poor first 35min in at least three Championship games this year. Then he has very strong finishes albeit when we are reasonably well ahead. Problem is Flanagan is a full forward line player as are Mul & Casey??

Our cover for the half forward line has very little game time. If Hayes, Hego or Morrissey picks up an early injury we could be in trouble. We know Dowling has a serious impact in the last 20min. He isn't a 60 - 70 min player. Boylan, & Reidy have very little Championship experience. David Dempsey seems to have fallen off the radar a bit. Am I correct when I say that Hayes & Morrissey have started every Championship game since JK took over? And I'm pretty sure all from the half forward line too. So if KK took Hegarty out of it in the first 5 min we could be in bother.

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 179 - 23/07/2019 22:32:44    2215493

Link

Replying To Seeking_silver:  "I think Flanagan's downfall was being sent off against Wexford. Yes he did pick up an injury or two along the way but i think his confidence took a knock after Wexford Park.
I certainly wouldn't drop Casey or Mul. Two of the hardest working players in the game. To be the devils advocate, if I had to drop someone it would be Tom Morrissey. I thought he had very poor first 35min in at least three Championship games this year. Then he has very strong finishes albeit when we are reasonably well ahead. Problem is Flanagan is a full forward line player as are Mul & Casey??

Our cover for the half forward line has very little game time. If Hayes, Hego or Morrissey picks up an early injury we could be in trouble. We know Dowling has a serious impact in the last 20min. He isn't a 60 - 70 min player. Boylan, & Reidy have very little Championship experience. David Dempsey seems to have fallen off the radar a bit. Am I correct when I say that Hayes & Morrissey have started every Championship game since JK took over? And I'm pretty sure all from the half forward line too. So if KK took Hegarty out of it in the first 5 min we could be in bother."
As a replacement for Tom Morrissey early on maybe barry nash could do a job even though we haven't seen much of him there he seems to potentially have all the attributes required.
Replacing Hayes or more importantly hegarty would be trickier if we lost them early on.

Nickie Quaid, the full back line, Hannon, Cian Lynch, hegarty and Gillane are the pillars of This limerick team imo and any one of them missing would be massive and difficult to replace

Fitzy01 (Limerick) - Posts: 167 - 23/07/2019 23:44:16    2215535

Link