Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To pj_mcmanus:  "Dreadful that words like bully get thrown around here, it's immature and it's not happening here. And that DF guy is still on this forum, just posting under a different name. I always found him to be far more disagreeable than Pat"
Noted and probably the one crying foul the loudest...familiar strains emerge. But no bother, .the anonymity here allows for that.
Great to be focusing on another AI celebrate. Let the good times roll on!

Come On Ye Boys In Green!

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1055 - 04/07/2019 14:12:11    2205452

Link

Replying To Dealer:  "The only pundit that called Limerick last year correctly was Nicky English. He rated them as potential winners before a ball was thrown in based on his involvement in Fitzgibbon and he was spot on.

I'm rather pleased that there's a lot of pundits out there that haven't gotten the memo about the capabilities of this team. That's a good thing as a bandwagon of media admirers does not suit us as we're not a county with a history of clinical performance consistency like Kerry, Dublin or KK. We need the doubts running around in our heads. I thought that it was noteworthy that the shades of opinion seemed to favor Tipp before last Sunday despite the fact that it was Limerick that were reigning All Ireland champions. Pundits normally back the holders but not last Sunday which relieved the pressure of excess expectation which has infected us in the past.

At this point, t looks to me that Cork are the biggest threat even though Tipp are second favorites with the bookies. I'd worry for Tipp against Dublin who gave us a very tough game up in Nowlan Park. They're the type of robust team that the likes of Bubbles struggle against.

Another random thought is that the majority of the really top forwards in the game (Horgan, Canning, Callinan, Reid, Conlon) are either in going into or are in their 30's. To me, that's a leading indicator that's pointing to a window of opportunity for Limerick to make hay in.

These are wonderful times. We haven't seen them before and should enjoy them because time will move on and the beat goes on.

I"
Agree for the most part.. would also be great to see Dublin or someone put manners on Dublin if he has not been sanctioned or banned in the meantime as a menace to society.i

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1055 - 04/07/2019 14:18:48    2205457

Link

Replying To PatOLogical:  "Noted and probably the one crying foul the loudest...familiar strains emerge. But no bother, .the anonymity here allows for that.
Great to be focusing on another AI celebrate. Let the good times roll on!

Come On Ye Boys In Green!"
Sorry for typo.. * Great to focus on another AI semi-final! Hope we go into it injury free.

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1055 - 04/07/2019 14:53:42    2205475

Link

Replying To pj_mcmanus:  "Dreadful that words like bully get thrown around here, it's immature and it's not happening here. And that DF guy is still on this forum, just posting under a different name. I always found him to be far more disagreeable than Pat"
Have to agree pj if poster's have strong opinions about players or management's on here and there proven to be totally wrong e.g..Casey last Sunday then you have to expect a bit of slagging or poster's pointing out how wrong you were. It's a good job these poster's aren't in the public eye like players or managers, they'd never survive with those thin skin's

updwell (Limerick) - Posts: 350 - 04/07/2019 15:09:28    2205482

Link

Think William o donoghue has been solid in midfield. Capable of a few stray passes but makes up for it in work rate. Casey was brilliant the last day but needs to be consistent going forward . He shows he has it .

Greenmen73 (Limerick) - Posts: 25 - 04/07/2019 19:37:03    2205590

Link

Replying To Dealer:  "Expectations from this group were very muted so I'm actually reasonably content that they were competitive against a very strong Cork side last night. I suspect that the only candidate for senior is Connolly who looks to have the capability to further improve his game. He's got the physical attributes and the right attitude but probably still needs to work on his technique. I could see him as a viable backup in the full back line in 2020 at least. I'd expect that we'll be much stronger in this competition next year.

Cork need to find players from this group is much greater than ours as there is a major refresh in the Cork senior team coming. If they don't get to the All Ireland final this year, I'm expecting that they will be in full rebuild mode in 2020 which is why I'd love to see them fail to do so."
Is Paul o Brien not a good prospect? Or Wolfe? I thought they were very good minors.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 950 - 05/07/2019 09:56:10    2205762

Link

Replying To blackspot91:  "Is Paul o Brien not a good prospect? Or Wolfe? I thought they were very good minors."
They were good minors. I wish them every success with the senior careers but its going to be bloody difficult to get into the senior panel as a forward in the near future. You can see opportunities for defenders in the panel - specifically in the full back line but everywhere else is manic. You need to be beyond exceptional to force your way in.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 681 - 05/07/2019 10:14:09    2205775

Link

Replying To Dealer:  "They were good minors. I wish them every success with the senior careers but its going to be bloody difficult to get into the senior panel as a forward in the near future. You can see opportunities for defenders in the panel - specifically in the full back line but everywhere else is manic. You need to be beyond exceptional to force your way in."
I agree with your statement although I would say that if you are good enough you will get you're chance, all sport teams evolve and changes will always take place. Brian Cody always injected new blood into his team, it keeps things fresh and it maintains the hunger in the team.

We are so lucky that this team came along, it is great to be going to the games with some confidence and start to forget some of the bad days we had, long may the good times last.

[email protected] (Limerick) - Posts: 23 - 05/07/2019 10:44:54    2205793

Link

Jackie Tyrell writes in todays Irish Times and states, Limerick are the masters of timing in changed landscape, also
Limerick are the front runners and favourites after Sundays demolition job.

fainleog (Limerick) - Posts: 513 - 05/07/2019 10:49:44    2205796

Link

Replying To Dealer:  "They were good minors. I wish them every success with the senior careers but its going to be bloody difficult to get into the senior panel as a forward in the near future. You can see opportunities for defenders in the panel - specifically in the full back line but everywhere else is manic. You need to be beyond exceptional to force your way in."
Fair point. Even the likes of Brian Ryan, who, in another generation would be close to a senior limerick team already but not near this panel even.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 950 - 05/07/2019 11:04:43    2205807

Link

Replying To [email protected]:  "I agree with your statement although I would say that if you are good enough you will get you're chance, all sport teams evolve and changes will always take place. Brian Cody always injected new blood into his team, it keeps things fresh and it maintains the hunger in the team.

We are so lucky that this team came along, it is great to be going to the games with some confidence and start to forget some of the bad days we had, long may the good times last."
I think the whole 'Brian Cody always freshened things up' is overstated. If you look back over their era of dominance, there was a consistent core of players, and when new players came it, it was to replace retirements/injuries or a better player came along. Bottom line is, he always played his best 15.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 950 - 05/07/2019 11:08:19    2205813

Link

Match set for Saturday 27th at 6pm, we will have an unusual routine that day for sure. The countdown is on now. the next 3 weeks will fly. Temple Bar will get a lash and hopefully we will have to worry about the scramble for FInal tickets after it. Luimneach Abu

Sean Wall (Limerick) - Posts: 141 - 05/07/2019 12:07:44    2205860

Link

Replying To blackspot91:  "I think the whole 'Brian Cody always freshened things up' is overstated. If you look back over their era of dominance, there was a consistent core of players, and when new players came it, it was to replace retirements/injuries or a better player came along. Bottom line is, he always played his best 15."
A manager has to pick his panel fairly so as to have the best players in the county available to him but I think he also has to factor in future requirements which might mean carrying a player in the panel with a view to that player developing into a starter in the future. That's a difficult balancing act because you might end up dropping a player that's better right now in favor of a younger player who you think has the potential to be a better player in 2 years time. There's a real conundrum here is that participating in the senior panel is the fastest way for a young player to develop but you also need to maintain competitive standards within your overall panel as your A versus B games are probably you best methodology for preparing for championship. My understanding is that Limerick have found it very hard to get friendly games this year from other counties.

It's a very strange phenomenon but the track record indicates that we generate players in waves and not in a linear fashion. We don't get one player from every minor team. We tend to get 3 or 4 from one and then nothing from the next.
I think that's the pattern with this current U20 team as well. I reckon that there's no more than one or two of them who will make the senior squad and I'd suspect that Mikey O'Brien is on the bubble.

I'm beyond pleased with the manner that our minors this year have developed. As the campaign has gone on, the team has improved and now looks stronger than at the start. There are a few budding stars in there but there's also a very even standard across the full extent of the side as well. These guys won't be anywhere near a senior panel for at least 2 years but I'm optimistic that they're the next wave and they could coming crashing into the panel when refreshment will be needed. There are a handful of players on the senior panel right now who need to make shapes in the next year or be overcome. You have to sink or swim as you can't stand still with pressures in all directions.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 681 - 05/07/2019 12:40:49    2205875

Link

Congratulations to Limerick, I think the home advantage and smaller pitch(did ye narrow it again after clare game?) really suited ye.
One thing though, I was very surprised with the Limerick supporters on Sunday, booing free-takers, cheering Tipp wides, abusing fellow GAA patrons, I thought I was a soccer match!!Ye could do worse than go to a game in Thomond park to learn some etiquette. Ye are hot favs now but maybe karma will get ye yet!!

PremierGold (Tipperary) - Posts: 108 - 05/07/2019 14:51:27    2205927

Link

Just wondering if both Cork & Dublin won through to the semi finals would we then be playing Dublin

higgins (Limerick) - Posts: 219 - 05/07/2019 15:20:17    2205938

Link

Replying To PremierGold:  "Congratulations to Limerick, I think the home advantage and smaller pitch(did ye narrow it again after clare game?) really suited ye.
One thing though, I was very surprised with the Limerick supporters on Sunday, booing free-takers, cheering Tipp wides, abusing fellow GAA patrons, I thought I was a soccer match!!Ye could do worse than go to a game in Thomond park to learn some etiquette. Ye are hot favs now but maybe karma will get ye yet!!"
Hahaha your a gas man PremierGold I got a laugh from that.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 520 - 05/07/2019 16:00:57    2205953

Link

Replying To higgins:  "Just wondering if both Cork & Dublin won through to the semi finals would we then be playing Dublin"
Yes Higgins, we would then be playing Dublin

pj_mcmanus (Limerick) - Posts: 425 - 05/07/2019 16:01:51    2205954

Link

Replying To pj_mcmanus:  "Yes Higgins, we would then be playing Dublin"
thanks pj, was thinking as much. on the announcement today you'd think the only possible teams we could meet are Kilkenny or Cork

higgins (Limerick) - Posts: 219 - 05/07/2019 16:46:41    2205966

Link

Replying To PremierGold:  "Congratulations to Limerick, I think the home advantage and smaller pitch(did ye narrow it again after clare game?) really suited ye.
One thing though, I was very surprised with the Limerick supporters on Sunday, booing free-takers, cheering Tipp wides, abusing fellow GAA patrons, I thought I was a soccer match!!Ye could do worse than go to a game in Thomond park to learn some etiquette. Ye are hot favs now but maybe karma will get ye yet!!"
Agreed, booing much more dangerous to life and limb than wildly swinging across a player's chest. Loose cannons still on the loose?

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1055 - 05/07/2019 16:51:24    2205968

Link

Really poor post but perhaps just trolling which I'm sure you are doing . Tipp fans were assaulting each other in the terrace for the Waterford match so not sure where you're going with etiquette or is that how they celebrate a win in thurles.. I've been to plenty of hurling matches where fans are less than perfect on both sides. It's just the fact of life. I'm not biting here on your provocative post but just needed to say thanks for your congratulations and wish tipp the best in the quarter final against a very under the radar and dangerous Dublin team one I'm delighted to be avoiding after such a gut wreching defeat

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 424 - 05/07/2019 17:17:08    2205974

Link