Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To PatOLogical:  "Delighted with yesterday's minor and senior win and latest Golden age for Limerick Hurling. Munster ZChsmps- how sweet the sound! Grateful to coolness that is John Kiely and his back room team. Don't envy him his job. That said I look forward to his team and roster of 26 for aAll Ireland semi -final. Happy to support whoever he picks, rather than some barstool pundit. That's my point.

Come On Ye Boys In Green!"
From the sublime to the ridiculous as the saying goes.
Just a few posts back we had slayer's eloquence and now this.

Westfester (Limerick) - Posts: 867 - 01/07/2019 23:40:45    2204055

Link

Congratulations fine Team nothing to fault with last Sunday

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 465 - 02/07/2019 10:40:21    2204178

Link

Superb performance on Sunday.

Just an interesting side note. Brian Gavin has column in Irish Examiner on Mondays where he looks at referee's decisions over the weekend.
He says;
"The problem for Paud (O'Dwyer-referee) is he missed two close to blatant red cards" and "it's a pity Paud didn't have help from any of his fellow officials on it"
The two incidents Gavin picks and dissects are Bubbles and Ronan Maher's ones.

Tipp had a very high yellow card score against us in Thurles in June as well. Are refs being too lenient against our opponents because of our championship status? Or is there less players being sent off this year in general?

ancientrush (Limerick) - Posts: 22 - 02/07/2019 10:56:54    2204193

Link

what a time for all of us as limerick supporters.i think i can safely say everyone in limerick has falken in love with them.a lot has to do with their behavior,all very down to earth and any time they are asked for autographs or photos they obliege.of course all this comes from the leadership shown by the management team.if i have one pity from sunday it is limerick didnt win by more,thoughts of that 7 goal humiliation in croke park and all of tipp laughing at us.we have come a long way and please god it will continue.

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 966 - 02/07/2019 11:30:05    2204213

Link

Replying To ancientrush:  "Superb performance on Sunday.

Just an interesting side note. Brian Gavin has column in Irish Examiner on Mondays where he looks at referee's decisions over the weekend.
He says;
"The problem for Paud (O'Dwyer-referee) is he missed two close to blatant red cards" and "it's a pity Paud didn't have help from any of his fellow officials on it"
The two incidents Gavin picks and dissects are Bubbles and Ronan Maher's ones.

Tipp had a very high yellow card score against us in Thurles in June as well. Are refs being too lenient against our opponents because of our championship status? Or is there less players being sent off this year in general?"
If referees are being too lenient against Limerick's opponents because of your success that is obviously not right.. I wouldn't pay too much heed to Gavin's comments in the Examiner. He sent off very few players himself as referee but hardly a week passes now but he has a go at referees for not issuing red cards. He can't expect to be taken seriously when he criticises former colleagues for not doing what he himself failed to do.

midlands (Westmeath) - Posts: 108 - 02/07/2019 11:49:09    2204230

Link

Replying To clooney:  "Congratulations fine Team nothing to fault with last Sunday"
thanks clooney fair play.

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 810 - 02/07/2019 11:59:16    2204235

Link

Watching the game back theres still lots to work on. Its amazing to say that after such a dominant win.

1. The sidelines are still not working. Mike Casey topped one. Gearoid Hegarty stood over one for an age in the second half and then hit it straight to Ronan Maher. He really needs to disguise his short ones..hes capable of pointing them too...but just standing over them waiting for a man to get loose usnt working.

2. William O Donoghue had a great game overall. His hand passing is still dodgy. Again abit of nous and disguise would prevent the interception. He got intercepted 3 times. Mike Casey throws every hand pass. He will get caught someday.

3. The missed goals. Who is coaching the forwards when shooting for goal? Gillane who has a tendency to snatch at his chances therefore leaning back and then the inevitable rising miss over the bar. Cian Lynch attempt straight down the goalies throat..there was a low shot to the goalies right on. Kyle Hayes attempt was just poor and lacking power. All things that can be rectified but now the time. If your going for goal...go for it...shoot low and get this clap trap of shooting high so you ll get a point at worst out of your head. You're not completely focusing on goal scoring with that attitude . Low to where the goalie isnt..that's Cyril Farrells mantra

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1176 - 02/07/2019 15:59:26    2204362

Link

A great performance on Sunday and now we look forward to the semis.
The 2 quarter finals should be
Tipp v Dublin
Cork v Kilkenny

I would say Tipp will beat Dublin while the other one is harder to Call but I would just fancy Cork

That would leave us with
Limerick v Cork
Wexford v Tipperary.

I can see a final pairing of
Limerick v Wexford, with us winning comfortably.

[email protected] (Limerick) - Posts: 23 - 02/07/2019 18:49:57    2204463

Link

Replying To [email protected]:  "A great performance on Sunday and now we look forward to the semis.
The 2 quarter finals should be
Tipp v Dublin
Cork v Kilkenny

I would say Tipp will beat Dublin while the other one is harder to Call but I would just fancy Cork

That would leave us with
Limerick v Cork
Wexford v Tipperary.

I can see a final pairing of
Limerick v Wexford, with us winning comfortably."
By god I hope your right

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 109 - 02/07/2019 19:02:02    2204472

Link

I dont see both Limerick and Wexford making the final. I wouldn't like to play Wexford either. Limerick had a way better team than them in 1996 too and that turned out bad. I also see Cork as a huge obstacle coming down the tracks...the speed they have is unreal and it would be no more than a 50/50. So theres a long,long way to go.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1176 - 02/07/2019 19:23:21    2204487

Link

Replying To Westfester:  "From the sublime to the ridiculous as the saying goes.
Just a few posts back we had slayer's eloquence and now this."
Have a nice day!

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1079 - 02/07/2019 20:15:33    2204515

Link

Congratulations to John Kiely and Declan Hannon and all involved with this magnificent team last Sunday, what a time to be a Limerick supporter.

On the Peter Casey issue nobody on here questioned his ability or nothing like that out of the way, some like myself made a suggestion would he be more effective coming off the bench. He proved us wrong and we are all delighted he proved us wrong. We all have difference of opinions and the debate is 1 of the many reasons what makes sport great, there is no need to insult a fellow supporter with a different opinion to your own.

Also best of luck to our u20 hurlers and management team tonight hopefully they can keep the party going. I can't make it I'll be keeping an eye on the score.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 543 - 03/07/2019 12:58:42    2204878

Link

Completely forgot this but I was in the open stand behind casey for his 'wide' that he was arguing and it looked of to me, should have been 1.6 :D

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 952 - 03/07/2019 14:43:16    2204940

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "I dont see both Limerick and Wexford making the final. I wouldn't like to play Wexford either. Limerick had a way better team than them in 1996 too and that turned out bad. I also see Cork as a huge obstacle coming down the tracks...the speed they have is unreal and it would be no more than a 50/50. So theres a long,long way to go."
Alot of people are talking up the threat of cork and for good reason to be fair, especially saying they should have beat us last year, but imo we've improved alot more that them since then. Were a young team on an upward graph but I feel like cork have pretty much had the same team at the same level for the last 3 or 4 years. They do have good underage coming through but I'd be confident this year. Limerick would definitely want to put that rivalry to bed too and prove they're the better team with the talk of them not suiting us and beating us this year and being lucky against them last year etc

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 952 - 03/07/2019 14:48:30    2204942

Link

Replying To blackspot91:  "Alot of people are talking up the threat of cork and for good reason to be fair, especially saying they should have beat us last year, but imo we've improved alot more that them since then. Were a young team on an upward graph but I feel like cork have pretty much had the same team at the same level for the last 3 or 4 years. They do have good underage coming through but I'd be confident this year. Limerick would definitely want to put that rivalry to bed too and prove they're the better team with the talk of them not suiting us and beating us this year and being lucky against them last year etc"
Very good observation and well articulated. Limerick may have to win 5 in a row in order for others to stop thinking that our wins are mostly due to the other 7 or 8 teams being "off form on the day, and start believing that this bunch is for v real.
Maybe Limerick should not concern ourselves with either the "paid" and recreational pundits, ( all three picked Tipp before throw -in last Sunda)y. Maybe we should bask in the tag of underdogs as it seems to be serving us fairly well for the last 2 years.
to borrow from the golf expression: "it's not how you drive, its how you arrive".

Come On Ye Boys in Green

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1079 - 03/07/2019 15:35:38    2204971

Link

Replying To PatOLogical:  "Very good observation and well articulated. Limerick may have to win 5 in a row in order for others to stop thinking that our wins are mostly due to the other 7 or 8 teams being "off form on the day, and start believing that this bunch is for v real.
Maybe Limerick should not concern ourselves with either the "paid" and recreational pundits, ( all three picked Tipp before throw -in last Sunda)y. Maybe we should bask in the tag of underdogs as it seems to be serving us fairly well for the last 2 years.
to borrow from the golf expression: "it's not how you drive, its how you arrive".

Come On Ye Boys in Green"
In fairness Daly picked Limerick last Sunday as his county man Ger Loughnane did against two other denizens before the All Ireland Final last year.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2341 - 03/07/2019 16:29:09    2205001

Link

Replying To PatOLogical:  "Very good observation and well articulated. Limerick may have to win 5 in a row in order for others to stop thinking that our wins are mostly due to the other 7 or 8 teams being "off form on the day, and start believing that this bunch is for v real.

Come On Ye Boys in Green"
Actually they diden't Anthong Daly gave an emphatic YES to Limerick

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 465 - 03/07/2019 16:43:06    2205007

Link

Yes, Anthony Daly has been predicting Limerick with some time, Ger Loughnane did go for Limerick prior to last years
All-Ireland final, Nicholas English did likewise.

fainleog (Limerick) - Posts: 520 - 03/07/2019 17:19:44    2205026

Link

Replying To fainleog:  "Yes, Anthony Daly has been predicting Limerick with some time, Ger Loughnane did go for Limerick prior to last years
All-Ireland final, Nicholas English did likewise."
And many other pundits also. Some people love to feel offended.

Westfester (Limerick) - Posts: 867 - 03/07/2019 18:03:42    2205046

Link

Replying To welpastit:  "Pat do you come on here because you are not getting enough confrontation in your own life? Even when you try to take someone on they can't be bothered to reply to you. Nothing as repugnant to me as hypocrites. In your time you have been more than a little abusive to players yet now you set yourself up as a defender of all. Can't speak for everyone but I'm really tired of your relentless attacks. If you don't have something positive to say maybe you should get a hobby ."
All your posts over the last few pages have been having a go at Pat. Are you not doing exactly what you are accusing him of?

pj_mcmanus (Limerick) - Posts: 426 - 03/07/2019 18:21:04    2205058

Link