Mayo Forum

Where From Here?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To MayoDan:  "I'd agree with most of that but McLoughlin only turned 29 recently so he has a few more years in him easily.

I'd also be inclined to keep Higgins, SOS and Andy on the panel, but for the good of the team going forward they need to accept a substitute role. We won't be winning an All Ireland next year, but having a positive league and winning a Connacht title is still possible.

I'm not sure if Rochford is the man to lead the changes. He remained very loyal to the experienced players this summer, despite O'Donoghue, Caolan Crowe and Loftus playing key roles in the league. Might be easier for a new voice to come in."
No doubt ye are capable of winning Connacht and having a decent league by keeping on the older lads. They are definitely the best in their position at the moment.......but the question is will they deliver an All Ireland. I think that ship has sailed. You can make an argument for any of the older guys on an individual basis but if the objective is winning an All Ireland you need to plan for future.

Why would you keep Andy or SOS etc on the bench? What good is that? They are taking up a bench spot from someone else. If you want their experience, get them into the backroom set up.

The only exceptions I would make are in lynch pin positions and in Mayo's case that probably means full back. You might want to keep Barrett until you have a replacement. Full backs are hard got so I would make exception there.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 683 - 12/07/2018 13:08:14    2120980

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "No doubt ye are capable of winning Connacht and having a decent league by keeping on the older lads. They are definitely the best in their position at the moment.......but the question is will they deliver an All Ireland. I think that ship has sailed. You can make an argument for any of the older guys on an individual basis but if the objective is winning an All Ireland you need to plan for future.

Why would you keep Andy or SOS etc on the bench? What good is that? They are taking up a bench spot from someone else. If you want their experience, get them into the backroom set up.

The only exceptions I would make are in lynch pin positions and in Mayo's case that probably means full back. You might want to keep Barrett until you have a replacement. Full backs are hard got so I would make exception there."
It's about introducing new blood gradually and not a huge cull of players that's required. No doubt there will be 2/3 retirements and possibly a new management...so we just have to wait and see.

An u20 All Ireland win would be a huge boost to an otherwise disappointing 2018 for Mayo

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9153 - 13/07/2018 17:44:16    2121400

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "No doubt ye are capable of winning Connacht and having a decent league by keeping on the older lads. They are definitely the best in their position at the moment.......but the question is will they deliver an All Ireland. I think that ship has sailed. You can make an argument for any of the older guys on an individual basis but if the objective is winning an All Ireland you need to plan for future.

The only exceptions I would make are in lynch pin positions and in Mayo's case that probably means full back. You might want to keep Barrett until you have a replacement. Full backs are hard got so I would make exception there."
I meant have a positive league and winning Connacht while at the same time introduce some younger players into starting 15. That's a realistic goal for 2019.

Kerry still have Kieran Donaghy coming off the bench this year and he's older than Andy. MDMA has got back a starting position in the Dublin team this year and is a year older than Seamie O'Shea. Donegal have a new team these days but McGee and McGlynn are still starting. Etc etc.

Bottom line is there are a handful of players on mayo panel who have had umpteen chances but are not at the required standard. They're the ones that need to step aside, not guys who are still able to contribute. I don't think any player should be brought straight into the management team either.

MayoDan (Mayo) - Posts: 74 - 13/07/2018 23:26:47    2121469

Link

The significant players who'll be 30 or over (derived from a match programme) by next summer (2019) are:

Kevin Mc (who'll be 30)
Donal Vaughan (will be 30)
Tom Parsons (will be 31)
Chris Barrett (will be 32)
SOS (will be 32)
Ger Caff (will be 32)
Colm Boyle (will be 33)
Barry Moran (will be 33)
Keith Higgins (will be 34)
David Clarke (will be 35)
Andy (will be 35)

I think it'd be reasonable to expect that if all of these great players still decide to keep going (and Tom recovers from his knee injury) the lads who are 32 or less will still be potential starters, while the 5 above that age with the exception of David Clarke should be with the cavalry on the bench for the last 20 minutes of games. No reason why Clarke can't still be between the sticks.

Only 4 of the players currently established will still be under 25: DOC, Paddy Durcan, Eoin O'Donoghue and Stephen Coen. Of the less established players used Conor Loftus, Cian Hanley, James Durcan, Adam Gallagher and Fergal Boland will also still be under the mid-twenty mark.

The backbone of every team tends to be the guys in the 25-29 age group and the likes of AOS, Lee K, Jason Doc, Cillian O'C, Brendan Harrison, Rob Hennelly, David Drake, Caolan Crowe, Evan Regan, Shane Nally, Danny Kirby and Conor O'Shea will be somewhere in that age group.

We need to bring in another 4 - 6 players, with 3 or 4 different faces being needed to establish themselves (probably one of them being a midfielder, assuming DOC isn't going to become a fixture in that department), and ideally a couple of these new guys should be under 23.

The question is who'll be given their chance (and who should be), and are there more out there like Eoin O'Donoghue who doesn't look to others for leadership?

The U20's will be in the shop window today and hopefully we'll see something to be optimistic about against Derry.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1793 - 14/07/2018 10:52:28    2121517

Link

Well done to the U20s. Hopefully they can do the business in 3 weeks time.

Future may not be so bleak after all.

MayoDan (Mayo) - Posts: 74 - 14/07/2018 20:25:12    2121698

Link

Great Results for the Ladies and Under 20s today, a lesson there for Rochford , if some players think they are too big for their Boots just drop them from the panel and use players who want to play for You and Mayo

culmore (None) - Posts: 1272 - 14/07/2018 21:27:33    2121744

Link

Mayo always produce good quality players....no need to get carried away in defeat or victory...the RIP Mayo football signs can be put away for now

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9153 - 14/07/2018 21:27:33    2121745

Link