Mayo Forum

Support Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

As a Galway man and Galway football supporter, I would like to commiserate to Mayo for their loss on Saturday, absolutely excellent game, best football I've seen so far this year by both teams. Brilliant to see traditional football. What Mayo have done for Connaught football over the last number of years has been phenomenal & fairplay.. your intensity of football has definitely helped bring on Galway & Roscommon into the top 5-8 teams over the last number of years.. I'm just making this point because of some of the ridiculous stuff being said on social media by some Galway people over the wkend, its shameful and disrespectful.... it's embarrassing as a fellow Galway man.... fairplay to Padriac J for commenting on these stupid f**ls making ridiculous comments. without ye guys, Mayo, Galway and Roscommon would not be strong enough of beating other teams outside the province.. I'm all for banter and rivalry & it's good fun for the game, but below the belt stupid comments I can't stand for...no doubt Mayo be back over the next year or so...

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 94 - 02/07/2018 12:28:41    2117649

Link

Replying To Hupgalway:  "As a Galway man and Galway football supporter, I would like to commiserate to Mayo for their loss on Saturday, absolutely excellent game, best football I've seen so far this year by both teams. Brilliant to see traditional football. What Mayo have done for Connaught football over the last number of years has been phenomenal & fairplay.. your intensity of football has definitely helped bring on Galway & Roscommon into the top 5-8 teams over the last number of years.. I'm just making this point because of some of the ridiculous stuff being said on social media by some Galway people over the wkend, its shameful and disrespectful.... it's embarrassing as a fellow Galway man.... fairplay to Padriac J for commenting on these stupid f**ls making ridiculous comments. without ye guys, Mayo, Galway and Roscommon would not be strong enough of beating other teams outside the province.. I'm all for banter and rivalry & it's good fun for the game, but below the belt stupid comments I can't stand for...no doubt Mayo be back over the next year or so..."
Fair play to you for your stance, this is an unwelcome development in GAA circles that has coincided with the emergence of social media, or anti-social media as I like to call it. The county Facebook pages are particularly bad for this kind of nonsense, and the Mayo one is as bad as any of them.

It does seem that Mayo seem to be a particular target for the most venomous posts- I have seen no other county mocked simply for announcing their starting team for a match, for example. Cowards like easy targets, I guess.

Irrespective of whether our present side is finished or not, the Mayo public will stand behind them. They have given us many great days over the past seven years, even if the ultimate prize has eluded our grasp.

Maigh Eo abú, Maigh Eo go deo!

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 1489 - 02/07/2018 16:32:46    2117796

Link

It's a strange feeling not having football to look forward to and most of the summer ahead. The achievement of getting to the semi-finals and further every year after 2010 had almost become a right.... same as Dublin and Kerry. Things are made even worse by the fact that this will be the very first year of the new system and both Galway and likely the Rossies will be in it... it's like coming back to your house and finding the neighbours eating your dinner!

Like Yewtree I don't believe that the future is all that bleak. Mayo players develop in a very competitive club environment which is healthy (there's no one big fish like Corofin are in Galway... the Mitchells have a good team but are not in a different class). I wouldn't be too worried about underage either... we have our cycles of good and bad, but in general produce enough talent. Apart from AOS how many of our players were big star minors? The foundations of the current side was and even still is a single successful U21 side in 2006. Kerry might be doing whole lot right at underage now, but they were winning senior AI titles when their minors got to just two finals between 1994 and 2013 (winning in '94). The talent they have right now seems to be real, but you never know till they really deliver. Munster seems to have been very poor this year compared with the last few years, so the real tests are ahead for them. U21 has been a better indicator and last year's win indicates that developed talent is present in the county.

I feel a huge sense of gratitude to the players and managers, coaches, officials and of course supporters who have given us a lot to shout about over the last 7 years... we may not have gotten over the line but true pride and even real expectation has been restored. This standard is something which will stand to all future teams.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1793 - 02/07/2018 18:16:31    2117848

Link

Apart from AOS how many of our players were big star minors? The foundations of the current side was and even still is a single successful U21 side in 2006.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1786 - 02/07/2018 18:16:31 21178

-------------------------------
Both O Connors were "big stars" at minor level and thats why both was got called into the Mayo senior team so soon. Paddy Durcan stood out at minor level also whenever i seen him. Wasn't a single successful U21 side it was a 4 in a row Connacht successful sides from 2006 to 2009 and the current senior foundations was built on those 4 teams. Those U21 sides were far stronger and higher quality teams that the 2016 Mayo U21 IMO.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2166 - 03/07/2018 23:45:50    2118271

Link

Hope we can all agree that supporting Mayo doesn't start and finish with the seniors. The u20s are in a semi-final on Sat in Carrick at 4pm against Derry. I was at the wins over Leitrim and Roscommon and there is plenty of talent in Michael Solan's team and well worth a watch. Don't know whether they'll get the better of a fancied Derry outfit but as many Mayo fans as possible should be there to cheer them on. We might even be seeing a good few of this group lining out for the seniors very soon.

ponga (Mayo) - Posts: 424 - 09/07/2018 21:09:12    2120187

Link