Louth Forum

Senior Championship 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I agree with u dundalkgael about more soccer than rugby in Drogheda but rugby is making huge strides in the town especially with the youngsters..huge numbers attending training sessions...as ollie said success breathes success

Singingtheblues (Louth) - Posts: 23 - 19/12/2018 14:50:47    2154732

Link

Replying To OLLIE:  "Maybe so but 2018 was some year for Irish rugby with Ireland winning the Grand Slam, Leinster winning the European Champions Cup and Pro 14, Ireland beating New Zealand at home for the first time ever and winning a test series in Australia for the first time in nearly 40 years. Success breeds success."
It was the greatest year rugby has ever had Ollie . There is no doubt about that . The fact remains though that of the 9 major rugby playing nations Ireland have the worst record of all at the World Cup . In 8 attempts we have never got beyond the quarter final . Every one of the 8 other major rugby playing nations have made at least one semi final . Scotland were robbed of a semi final place at the last World Cup by Australia . We were slaughtered by Argentina at the last World Cup . Steve Hanson was right when he said the big one is in 10 months time . In ten years time we will be the only ones talking about beating the All Blacks in Dublin in 2018 . The fact that we are still talking about Munster beating the All Blacks in 1978 is embarrassing.
Rugby at the highest level in Ireland is still the preserve of the privileged . 80% of the current Irish squad went to fee paying schools . 79% of Leisters Irish born players went to fee paying schools . 85% of Leinsters academy players went to fee paying schools .69% of of Munsters Irish born players went to fee paying schools . 70% of Munsters academy players went to few paying schools . The club rugby scene in Ireland has been decimated by the advent of the professional game . Who are the current A champions ? Rugby is now extremely popular as a barstool sport but the number of clubs and the number of active participants are still small in comparison with football, hurling and soccer . The pathway to playing at the highest level in Irish rugby means that an awful lot of young children are ruled out before they start .

Greengrass (Louth) - Posts: 4938 - 19/12/2018 18:18:40    2154758

Link

And your point is Greengrass?

sandyBeach (Louth) - Posts: 238 - 19/12/2018 21:38:41    2154778

Link

I don't agree that there are more kids playing rugby in Drogheda than Gaelic Football. If you put every kid that plays Gaelic Football training every Saturday in one club in the town you would have more kids than you would see in the Boyne Rugby Club. Most of them are the same kids anyway. I heard recently that at Under 14 or 15 (cant remember which) they have something like 42 registered players. I would estimate that in Drogheda there would be more kids playing Gaa than that at the same age group if you combined all the players.

There are more ladies playing Gaelic Football than there are men and women combined playing rugby in this Country.
I'm proud of our international rugby teams success but it's the minority sport in Ireland and the success is down to the provincial set up. It goes back to the decisions taken many years ago to not let the clubs have the power. Boyne is no different to any Gaa club and it faces the same difficulties we all do. I support them when I can as at club level they are no different to Gaels, pure volunteers.

Ihateforums (Louth) - Posts: 103 - 20/12/2018 11:07:14    2154801

Link

My point is that it has increased tenfold in the last number of years of the amount of kids involved

Singingtheblues (Louth) - Posts: 23 - 20/12/2018 12:25:28    2154811

Link

Replying To Greengrass:  "It was the greatest year rugby has ever had Ollie . There is no doubt about that . The fact remains though that of the 9 major rugby playing nations Ireland have the worst record of all at the World Cup . In 8 attempts we have never got beyond the quarter final . Every one of the 8 other major rugby playing nations have made at least one semi final . Scotland were robbed of a semi final place at the last World Cup by Australia . We were slaughtered by Argentina at the last World Cup . Steve Hanson was right when he said the big one is in 10 months time . In ten years time we will be the only ones talking about beating the All Blacks in Dublin in 2018 . The fact that we are still talking about Munster beating the All Blacks in 1978 is embarrassing.
Rugby at the highest level in Ireland is still the preserve of the privileged . 80% of the current Irish squad went to fee paying schools . 79% of Leisters Irish born players went to fee paying schools . 85% of Leinsters academy players went to fee paying schools .69% of of Munsters Irish born players went to fee paying schools . 70% of Munsters academy players went to few paying schools . The club rugby scene in Ireland has been decimated by the advent of the professional game . Who are the current A champions ? Rugby is now extremely popular as a barstool sport but the number of clubs and the number of active participants are still small in comparison with football, hurling and soccer . The pathway to playing at the highest level in Irish rugby means that an awful lot of young children are ruled out before they start ."
Ireland have def underachieved at the rugby world cup especially in the last three world cups. Argentina no doubt are our bogey team beating
us three out of four times in the World Cup. What can I say about our own Rob Kearney. Louth's loss is Ireland's gain. He is only one of two players along with Rory Best to win a Grand Slam for Ireland.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 11779 - 20/12/2018 13:38:16    2154819

Link

Replying To OLLIE:  "Ireland have def underachieved at the rugby world cup especially in the last three world cups. Argentina no doubt are our bogey team beating
us three out of four times in the World Cup. What can I say about our own Rob Kearney. Louth's loss is Ireland's gain. He is only one of two players along with Rory Best to win a Grand Slam for Ireland."
Ollie,

I saw the young Kearney in clan na Gael park in 2004. county final against the Pats. I think he scored a point but Colin Goss kept a close watch on him.

I'd say he have loved to have finished his gaa career with a county winners medal.

a big loss to Cooley but more importantly the wee county.

moresthepity (Louth) - Posts: 214 - 20/12/2018 15:45:15    2154836

Link

Replying To moresthepity:  "Ollie,

I saw the young Kearney in clan na Gael park in 2004. county final against the Pats. I think he scored a point but Colin Goss kept a close watch on him.

I'd say he have loved to have finished his gaa career with a county winners medal.

a big loss to Cooley but more importantly the wee county."
I would say more importantly to the club... No county without the clubs

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 20/12/2018 17:18:16    2154843

Link

Replying To GAAdundalk:  "I would say more importantly to the club... No county without the clubs"
ah yes gaadundalk but they were able to win plenty of league titles and acc cups without him.

but couldn't get over the line when it mattered most in county championship.

and now look where the proud Cooley men are - the intermediate c'ship!!

would love to see them back at the top table soon...

moresthepity (Louth) - Posts: 214 - 20/12/2018 17:58:47    2154848

Link

Replying To moresthepity:  "ah yes gaadundalk but they were able to win plenty of league titles and acc cups without him.

but couldn't get over the line when it mattered most in county championship.

and now look where the proud Cooley men are - the intermediate c'ship!!

would love to see them back at the top table soon..."
Moresthepity do you think that Cooley were just unlucky not to get over the line or do you think that they just bottled it? They have lost more finals this century than any other club. They are the only club in the last twenty five years to lose back to back finals. Those five finals they have lost since 2000 include twice to arch rivals the Pats, twice to Mattock and once to the Blues. Between them three clubs (Pats, Mattock and Blues) they have won 17 Joe Wards since 2000. 2016 is the only time when none of the above three reached the final. S.O.M beat the Marys with a last min goal. The only other year when none of the other three won Joe Ward since 2000 was in 2006 when the Joes shocked the Pats. All the other teams beat at least one of the others to win Joe Ward in the final. Pats beat the Blues in 2011 after a replay, Mattock beat the Blues in 2005 and Blues beat Mattock in 2001 and 2008. Cooley always have at least one player in the Louth squad and not too long ago they had five players on the Louth panel. It would be great to see them and Mattock back playing senior football.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 11779 - 21/12/2018 12:18:49    2154911

Link

Replying To OLLIE:  "Moresthepity do you think that Cooley were just unlucky not to get over the line or do you think that they just bottled it? They have lost more finals this century than any other club. They are the only club in the last twenty five years to lose back to back finals. Those five finals they have lost since 2000 include twice to arch rivals the Pats, twice to Mattock and once to the Blues. Between them three clubs (Pats, Mattock and Blues) they have won 17 Joe Wards since 2000. 2016 is the only time when none of the above three reached the final. S.O.M beat the Marys with a last min goal. The only other year when none of the other three won Joe Ward since 2000 was in 2006 when the Joes shocked the Pats. All the other teams beat at least one of the others to win Joe Ward in the final. Pats beat the Blues in 2011 after a replay, Mattock beat the Blues in 2005 and Blues beat Mattock in 2001 and 2008. Cooley always have at least one player in the Louth squad and not too long ago they had five players on the Louth panel. It would be great to see them and Mattock back playing senior football."
Here here. It would be great if they were back up.
The only big final we missed this century was St. Pats.(7 wins) v Mattock (4 wins). They had some great quarters and semis. A few big turnarounds on both sides in those games. Powerful finishes.

19616609 (Louth) - Posts: 1288 - 21/12/2018 12:53:43    2154917

Link

Replying To 19616609:  "Here here. It would be great if they were back up.
The only big final we missed this century was St. Pats.(7 wins) v Mattock (4 wins). They had some great quarters and semis. A few big turnarounds on both sides in those games. Powerful finishes."
Paddy Keenan v Mark Brennan. They had some great battles. The Pats and Mattock are two great clubs who represented the Wee County well. You are right 19616609. Pats v Mattock was the dream final that wee all missed out on.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 11779 - 21/12/2018 17:57:00    2154941

Link

Replying To OLLIE:  "Moresthepity do you think that Cooley were just unlucky not to get over the line or do you think that they just bottled it? They have lost more finals this century than any other club. They are the only club in the last twenty five years to lose back to back finals. Those five finals they have lost since 2000 include twice to arch rivals the Pats, twice to Mattock and once to the Blues. Between them three clubs (Pats, Mattock and Blues) they have won 17 Joe Wards since 2000. 2016 is the only time when none of the above three reached the final. S.O.M beat the Marys with a last min goal. The only other year when none of the other three won Joe Ward since 2000 was in 2006 when the Joes shocked the Pats. All the other teams beat at least one of the others to win Joe Ward in the final. Pats beat the Blues in 2011 after a replay, Mattock beat the Blues in 2005 and Blues beat Mattock in 2001 and 2008. Cooley always have at least one player in the Louth squad and not too long ago they had five players on the Louth panel. It would be great to see them and Mattock back playing senior football."
Ollie I think you would have to say a bit of both.

It would be hard for anyone who watched those tight games between Cooley and the Pats in the noughties not to say they were a bit unlucky.

But they obviously weren't as mentally strong as a group as the Pats or Collon. they also hadn't the same amount of top-level club players as their rivals. Maybe management had a part to play as well.

They lost county finals in every way imaginable!! Some tight ones they just got edged out in, or got hammered and even led for most of one of the games and got pipped at the end.

moresthepity (Louth) - Posts: 214 - 21/12/2018 18:50:52    2154950

Link

Replying To moresthepity:  "Ollie I think you would have to say a bit of both.

It would be hard for anyone who watched those tight games between Cooley and the Pats in the noughties not to say they were a bit unlucky.

But they obviously weren't as mentally strong as a group as the Pats or Collon. they also hadn't the same amount of top-level club players as their rivals. Maybe management had a part to play as well.

They lost county finals in every way imaginable!! Some tight ones they just got edged out in, or got hammered and even led for most of one of the games and got pipped at the end."
Moresthepity Cooley have great tradition. They are one of the most successful clubs in Louth. They are the last club to win three Joe Wards in which they did this in the seventies plus they are the only Louth club to reach two Leinster club senior finals. Carlingford is my favourite part of the wonderful Wee County.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 11779 - 21/12/2018 20:09:08    2154954

Link

Replying To sandyBeach:  "And your point is Greengrass?"
Self explanatory. The IRFU have committed totally to the professional game . The domestic game at club level is struggling for any kind of exposure. You would have us believe that everything is amazing with rugby. It's not. The game at the highest level is the preserve of the privileged. It is primarily a barstool sport. There are only three rugby clubs in Louth. Participation levels are way behind Gaelic games and soccer.

Greengrass (Louth) - Posts: 4938 - 23/12/2018 12:11:06    2155045

Link

Overall i felt the 2018 Championship was vry good. Attended a lot of games. Ok the Blues were the stand out team but in Dreadnots knocking around and Mairtins making strides I think we will see some great rivalries in years to come. Power base to be towards the South of the County for the next while I feel?

highway (Monaghan) - Posts: 79 - 03/01/2019 07:53:55    2155519

Link

Replying To highway:  "Overall i felt the 2018 Championship was vry good. Attended a lot of games. Ok the Blues were the stand out team but in Dreadnots knocking around and Mairtins making strides I think we will see some great rivalries in years to come. Power base to be towards the South of the County for the next while I feel?"
The Blues are always there or there abouts. The Dreads have been there or there abouts since 2012 while the Jocks have come along way since defeating Mattock in a relegation play-off final in 2015. Does anyone think the Mochs could surprise a few teams this year in the Senior Championship?

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 11779 - 03/01/2019 13:06:42    2155545

Link

Replying To OLLIE:  "The Blues are always there or there abouts. The Dreads have been there or there abouts since 2012 while the Jocks have come along way since defeating Mattock in a relegation play-off final in 2015. Does anyone think the Mochs could surprise a few teams this year in the Senior Championship?"
Mochs have an average squad age of something like 20 in their squad so will be around for the next 10 years in Senior I would imagine and could possible land Joe along the way with a bit of luck!

Nobody would fancy marking a two man full forward line of Decky and Casey Byrne next summer.

Past hurler (None) - Posts: 183 - 05/01/2019 00:09:07    2155714

Link