UK Forum

London Club Fixtures

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Cilldara2012:  "Massive Congrats to Dulwich and Tommy Macs, two well run clubs thriving in the south and east respectively. Think there have been some very valid points made on here about Irish being attracted to settling in different areas of London more recently and it probably explains why some of the clubs out west are struggling given how close clubs are to each other.

Dulwich shouldn't have anything to fear next year in intermediate, stand out junior team all year round and deserved champions. Likewise Tommy Macs had a great year winning two competitions, hopefully they can avoid the drop straight away, it can be very tough for intermediate teams moving up to senior grade (without bucket loads of cash).

Great coverage by the Irish World on the games, nice to see. Not much content from London gaa however which isn't surprising.

TCG to beat Kiernans and Neasden to beat Fulham this weekend to set up a mouth watering final. Neasden's bench or lack of could cost them but it's hard to know.

See Tommy Macs play Dulwich in an All Britain contest, think the winner progresses to play in the quarter or semi of that competition around November time, CB are probably trying to run off the games as quickly as possible hence the quick turnaround? Speaking to one of the delegates this morning, I think the party is still going in East London so don't know how competitive the game will be. I'm sure Dulwich are still celebrating too, that cup was a long time coming for them! Always hard to tell how those games go."
If the senior teams that have struggled don't turn things round next year then you would expect McCurtains to stay up next year. I few additions to the squad and they should be ok. Much easier to attract players now they are senior, a good few Irish in East London who wouldn't have played for McCurtains because they were not senior. Dulwich I see giving intermediate a decent rattle next year, have a solid core, 1 or 2 additions and no reason why they couldn't go all the way. Not sure if Dulwich have ever been senior before?
Regarding the All Britain, always difficult for the London team, their objective at the start of the year is to win London, don't think of the All Britain, after they win London think about All Britain, next year they are at senior, so no chance of competing in All Britain. But say in Lancs, Scotland etc, after winning a couple of county tiltles their aim at the start of the year changes to winning not just the county but the All Britain also.

Rosineri1 (UK) - Posts: 1784 - 04/10/2019 09:20:20    2241277

Link

Replying To interested32:  "How can they field in 1 Senior Championship this year and only have a handful of players a few weeks later? I'm not suggesting play all the homegrown players but they will supplement the existing team. TCG showed the path while simultaneously fielding a senior team so comparing apples and pears there. I agree playing teams at their own level will be better for them but same goes for KKG, Towers, NLS who know they won't win the senior championship next year (unless something significant changes) but they didn't just throw in the towel."
As far as I know the homegrown lads were allowed to play one senior game and still be eligible for the junior which is why they fielded the one game. The majority of KKG, NLS panel would be experienced lads, exposing some of the Parnells youngster (who the majority would be 17-21) to beatings every week is a bit like apples and pears.

I'd be disappointed if they 'just threw in the towel', sometimes you've got to look at the bigger picture.

Anchorman_6 (Cavan) - Posts: 23 - 04/10/2019 14:26:35    2241338

Link

I got it badly wrong on the McCurtain Dulwich game, was expecting it to be a tight contest, but sounds like it was very one sided. McCurtains now face Oisins or Mitchells I believe.
Glad to see Fulham beat Neasden, don't like the way Neasden have gone about bringing in players, its not a model that can really be used to grow the club. Another meeting between Fulham and TCG in the final. TCG slight favourites, the two teams have dominated now for the past few years so should be a decent clash.

Rosineri1 (UK) - Posts: 1784 - 07/10/2019 12:34:39    2241783

Link

Replying To Rosineri1:  "I got it badly wrong on the McCurtain Dulwich game, was expecting it to be a tight contest, but sounds like it was very one sided. McCurtains now face Oisins or Mitchells I believe.
Glad to see Fulham beat Neasden, don't like the way Neasden have gone about bringing in players, its not a model that can really be used to grow the club. Another meeting between Fulham and TCG in the final. TCG slight favourites, the two teams have dominated now for the past few years so should be a decent clash."
Delighted for neasden...Murphy's win intermediate next week Rossi??

edshamrocks (Wexford) - Posts: 314 - 07/10/2019 14:37:55    2241843

Link

Good to see Fulham beat Neasden. Would be good to see clubs move away from the policy of flying players over like Parnells did last year and Neasden this year. Plenty of footballers in London and work should be put into attracting talent and nurturing talent rather than buying talent. Will only work short term and clubs will struggle once the money gets turned off.

Think Tommy Macs could make a good fist of the All Britain. Did well in it two years ago and much better now!

macruiskeen (UK) - Posts: 21 - 08/10/2019 08:56:11    2241977

Link

The 2 senior clubs with questionable transfer policies were dumped out at the weekend setting up another tasty clash between TCG and Fulham.

Think the final itself will be a physical battle. Adverse weather conditions would suit FI better, though I would fancy TCG on a decent day.

Thomas McCurtains will hopefully give the provisional championship a good rattle, they look a well organised outfit and big panel.

interested32 (Galway) - Posts: 69 - 08/10/2019 09:42:32    2241985

Link

Two great games on Sunday, everyone loves a bit of an upset don't they. Kind of disappointed Neasden didn't do it as I think they would have got a lot of traction at home in a Connacht SFC given the high profile players they have and that would have enhanced London's profile in turn. That said like most on here, I'm glad to see proper football morals win through on the day.

Shaping up to be a great final, TCG surely favourites now although Fulham probably fancy themselves. It should be a close call. Looking forward to it!

Cilldara2012 (UK) - Posts: 85 - 08/10/2019 18:33:06    2242136

Link

What's the incentive in the all Britain shield? I'd be concerned at how easy it would be to keep lads training and up for games. Perhaps that's a London focused view of it.

WestAwake88 (Galway) - Posts: 42 - 09/10/2019 14:24:24    2242366

Link

Replying To WestAwake88:  "What's the incentive in the all Britain shield? I'd be concerned at how easy it would be to keep lads training and up for games. Perhaps that's a London focused view of it."
I agree with the above. It is a long enough season for players and management as it is without having this additional competition sprang on clubs with little notice.

Participation aside, there is also the additional financial strain placed on clubs to hire flood light pitches into the winter months and paying for transport around Britain for the games.

I have heard that the competition is for a commemoration which is fair enough. However the competition would gain much more support and participation if it was organised as a one of tournament which could be held as a curtain clsoer to the 2019 season or a curtain raiser to the 2020 season.

The current hastily arranged format will do little to generate enthusiasm for the competition - especially if it runs into mid-November.

SouthLDN_Spud_Murphy (UK) - Posts: 4 - 10/10/2019 13:02:07    2242554

Link

Should be a good day of hurling Sunday. Gabriels, Emmetts and Murphys I reckon.

LondainBhoy (UK) - Posts: 13 - 11/10/2019 09:47:03    2242739

Link

I was right...but look, I don't mean to be banging the same old drum but you had a triple header of quality hurling in Ruislip Sunday and you wouldn't have known anything about it unless you read the fixture list in the Irish World. Nothing on London's Twitter or Facebook page, and obviously nothing on the website. If I was sponsor of the hurling league I'd be demanding changes next season.

Apart from that, the final should be a great game, good to see Murphy's back senior, they deserve it for the work they do at underage if nothing else. Murphy's, Kilburn, Granuaile and McCurtain's the only clubs with youth set ups in hurling so fair play to them.

LondainBhoy (UK) - Posts: 13 - 15/10/2019 14:43:14    2243720

Link

Replying To LondainBhoy:  "I was right...but look, I don't mean to be banging the same old drum but you had a triple header of quality hurling in Ruislip Sunday and you wouldn't have known anything about it unless you read the fixture list in the Irish World. Nothing on London's Twitter or Facebook page, and obviously nothing on the website. If I was sponsor of the hurling league I'd be demanding changes next season.

Apart from that, the final should be a great game, good to see Murphy's back senior, they deserve it for the work they do at underage if nothing else. Murphy's, Kilburn, Granuaile and McCurtain's the only clubs with youth set ups in hurling so fair play to them."
It's fairly pathetic, 0 promotion, 0 information.

You would hardly know there is County final either Sunday....

fíoragusmacánta. (UK) - Posts: 9 - 15/10/2019 15:18:38    2243726

Link

Very little coverage of the IHC final on Official London Social Media channels which is disappointing, very disrespectful to players and management involved.

It's the big one in Ruislip this weekend with a 2:00 pm throw-in I think, struggling to find anything online so only going on what I heard. The two teams had some big battles this year and Fulham probably hadn't showed their cards up until the semi final so it's a very difficult one to call. What is the verdict on here?

Interesting appointment for the county football set up, shocked they didn't go with Coggins!

Cilldara2012 (UK) - Posts: 85 - 16/10/2019 13:14:47    2243921

Link

Fulham by 2, I don't think TCG have the quality in depth to win.

Maher wasn't an obvious option for me but I wonder how much Coggins wanted!

Justlooking123 (UK) - Posts: 1 - 16/10/2019 15:08:43    2243944

Link

Very disappointing work from the county board all year. No wonder a lot of lads aren't interested. Sounds like Lancashire is also a shambles. Major shake up needed at the end of the year but will never happen.

Anchorman_6 (Cavan) - Posts: 23 - 17/10/2019 09:36:13    2244023

Link