Limerick Forum

What Next For Limerick Football

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To brud:  "Time to get Liam Kearns back as manager for a few seasons when this season ends."
He wouldn't be interested in coming back to a county that has no interest in promoting football, and to be fair to Billy Lee, he is not the reason Limerick football has fallen back so much.

county man (Limerick) - Posts: 1078 - 16/06/2019 23:07:33    2196133

Link

Were way better than anyone could have hoped at the start of the season and im confident all the players tried their best so well done guys.

Would love to see another Munster final or day in Croke park but if it never happens im still proud of the effort Limerick footballers put in every season

Breezy (Limerick) - Posts: 261 - 22/06/2019 21:02:56    2198689

Link

We aren't even competing in Div 4 under Lee. His failed to bring through fresh blood into the panel. About time we got a high pedigree coach in. Why such a shortage of senior club footballers on the starting 15 & Panel??

brud (Limerick) - Posts: 909 - 23/06/2019 07:11:12    2198817

Link

His had 3 years at the helm. About time we got a good coach/manager in. Liam Kearns would be the man. There is enough talent in the county to at least have us playing in Div 3 and competing better in the championship.

brud (Limerick) - Posts: 909 - 23/06/2019 09:57:15    2198855

Link

Replying To brud:  "His had 3 years at the helm. About time we got a good coach/manager in. Liam Kearns would be the man. There is enough talent in the county to at least have us playing in Div 3 and competing better in the championship."
Please put up the team you would pick to compete in Division 3
The starting 15 will do.

Westfester (Limerick) - Posts: 844 - 23/06/2019 10:05:50    2198857

Link

Replying To brud:  "His had 3 years at the helm. About time we got a good coach/manager in. Liam Kearns would be the man. There is enough talent in the county to at least have us playing in Div 3 and competing better in the championship."
if dublin don't win the 5 in a row this year we should go for jim gavin.....

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 804 - 23/06/2019 10:13:27    2198862

Link

@brud I think you are being disingenuous to Billy Lee and his coaching staff. he is a good coach and a better manager and I wouldnt like to think where Limerick football would be at had he not stepped in when he did. He stood up for his players last year when nobody else gave a toss.Limerick football was at a low ebb when he took over and he has brought a group together that play for the jersey and have restored a bit of pride in Limerick football. Also if people choose not to play for their county that is their decision and move on, plenty have been approached and refused to commit which is understandable so we should not criticise the group that have given so much of their time for Limerick and football in the county. Fair play to the Limerick squad and management this year, they have made progress.

fenianfullback (Limerick) - Posts: 24 - 23/06/2019 10:28:19    2198868

Link

Replying To fenianfullback:  "@brud I think you are being disingenuous to Billy Lee and his coaching staff. he is a good coach and a better manager and I wouldnt like to think where Limerick football would be at had he not stepped in when he did. He stood up for his players last year when nobody else gave a toss.Limerick football was at a low ebb when he took over and he has brought a group together that play for the jersey and have restored a bit of pride in Limerick football. Also if people choose not to play for their county that is their decision and move on, plenty have been approached and refused to commit which is understandable so we should not criticise the group that have given so much of their time for Limerick and football in the county. Fair play to the Limerick squad and management this year, they have made progress."
we need jim gavin or eamon fitzmaurice as manager to see the best of limerick........

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 804 - 23/06/2019 10:55:15    2198883

Link

I think Limerick football is in a good place. The players are enjoying it under Billy Lee. They are playing some decent football. The players to compete arent there but the guys that are there are giving their all. I say dont fix it if it's not broken. Limerick football is at its level and theres no need pressurise the players. It's a pastime and it cant and wont compete with soccer,rugby and hurling. It is what it is .

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1156 - 23/06/2019 11:46:53    2198894

Link

Media reports on the game are being a bit kind to Limerick I feel, Westmeath never looked like losing and were in full controll of the game and got their scores alot easier than we did, we did have some form of a fight back after Darragh Treacey got his goal but Westmeath were still able kick a point or 2 to keep us at a distance. Holding on to possession in build up play and kicking scores from long range are big weakness in the team. Jamie Lee and Seamus O'Carroll are the only forwards who scored from play and that has being a problem for a few seasons forwards not being up to standard. I do like Billy Lee I think he has done a decent job considering what he has to deal with, but 1 thing I would question is leaving Michael Donovan on the bench this season in my opinion he is better than a good few lads on the team. I would be happy enough if he stays on as manager next season but I think the county board have to back him properly, I think he needs to add to his backroom team and get in a high profile coach from outside Limerick to get lads interested.

I agree with lads who say we haven't our best team out on the field, in 2015,2016 and 2017 we had 3 very good u21 teams and our senior team at this stage should be backbones by those players now and most of those lads won't commit for 1 reason or another.

Now it's time for the county board to show some bit of respect and ambition for football a full root and branch review of football has to be done from the club scene and from underage academy up to the senior to improve the game in Limerick. Winning the all ireland hurling did so much for Limerick last year for atmosphere, increased interest and attendances at games and financially, if football could even win a Munster final in the future it would do something similar for Limerick.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 520 - 23/06/2019 16:56:24    2199059

Link

Replying To Westfester:  "Please put up the team you would pick to compete in Division 3
The starting 15 will do."
Here is a team I would love to see line out for Limerick football. From what games I have seen at some clubs,underage and senior the last 3 or 4 years.

1 Donal O'Sullivan
2 Sean O'Dea
3 Stephen Cahill
4 Jim Liston
5 Paul White
6 Iain Corbett
7 Brian Fanning
8 Josh Ryan
9 Tommie Childs
10 Cian Sheehan
11 Darragh Treacey
12 Michael Donavan
13 Hugh Burke
14 Seamus O'Carroll
15 Jamie Lee

Subs: Cillian Fahy, Sean Flanagan, Robert Childs, Killian Ryan, Shane Cusack, Jack English, Kevin Moore, Brian Donavan, Evan Quinlan and I would add in Pat Begley just to have height on the bench.

I know a couple of those lads are out of the the country at the moment but I think that would be a good team for the footballers if those lads committed.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 520 - 23/06/2019 17:21:45    2199091

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "Here is a team I would love to see line out for Limerick football. From what games I have seen at some clubs,underage and senior the last 3 or 4 years.

1 Donal O'Sullivan
2 Sean O'Dea
3 Stephen Cahill
4 Jim Liston
5 Paul White
6 Iain Corbett
7 Brian Fanning
8 Josh Ryan
9 Tommie Childs
10 Cian Sheehan
11 Darragh Treacey
12 Michael Donavan
13 Hugh Burke
14 Seamus O'Carroll
15 Jamie Lee

Subs: Cillian Fahy, Sean Flanagan, Robert Childs, Killian Ryan, Shane Cusack, Jack English, Kevin Moore, Brian Donavan, Evan Quinlan and I would add in Pat Begley just to have height on the bench.

I know a couple of those lads are out of the the country at the moment but I think that would be a good team for the footballers if those lads committed."
Slightly better team than we have at the moment. But still not Division 3 standard in my opinion.
Well Brud where is your team and maybe just pick players who are actually living in this country and currently playing football.

Westfester (Limerick) - Posts: 844 - 23/06/2019 22:43:36    2199503

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "Media reports on the game are being a bit kind to Limerick I feel, Westmeath never looked like losing and were in full controll of the game and got their scores alot easier than we did, we did have some form of a fight back after Darragh Treacey got his goal but Westmeath were still able kick a point or 2 to keep us at a distance. Holding on to possession in build up play and kicking scores from long range are big weakness in the team. Jamie Lee and Seamus O'Carroll are the only forwards who scored from play and that has being a problem for a few seasons forwards not being up to standard. I do like Billy Lee I think he has done a decent job considering what he has to deal with, but 1 thing I would question is leaving Michael Donovan on the bench this season in my opinion he is better than a good few lads on the team. I would be happy enough if he stays on as manager next season but I think the county board have to back him properly, I think he needs to add to his backroom team and get in a high profile coach from outside Limerick to get lads interested.

I agree with lads who say we haven't our best team out on the field, in 2015,2016 and 2017 we had 3 very good u21 teams and our senior team at this stage should be backbones by those players now and most of those lads won't commit for 1 reason or another.

Now it's time for the county board to show some bit of respect and ambition for football a full root and branch review of football has to be done from the club scene and from underage academy up to the senior to improve the game in Limerick. Winning the all ireland hurling did so much for Limerick last year for atmosphere, increased interest and attendances at games and financially, if football could even win a Munster final in the future it would do something similar for Limerick."
Limerick winning a Munster Football Final. This has to be the silliest thing I have heard in a while. It's not realistic goal setting.There is no chance of that. There isnt the interest among talented Kids to play the game. I think Limerick should aim to row in behind the tier 2 and 3 proposals and aim to compete in that. There is an appetite to have a good well run county championship and really set the game up as an alternative to the hothouse competition in Hurling and Rugby...Have Gaelic football as a proper fun pastime in Limerick..like tag rugby.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1156 - 24/06/2019 10:04:17    2199676

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Limerick winning a Munster Football Final. This has to be the silliest thing I have heard in a while. It's not realistic goal setting.There is no chance of that. There isnt the interest among talented Kids to play the game. I think Limerick should aim to row in behind the tier 2 and 3 proposals and aim to compete in that. There is an appetite to have a good well run county championship and really set the game up as an alternative to the hothouse competition in Hurling and Rugby...Have Gaelic football as a proper fun pastime in Limerick..like tag rugby."
Did you not take notice I said in the future, it goes without saying that our current panel are well off that standard. In the 00's we just came up just short on 4 occasions against Kerry and Cork who were competing and winning all Irelands at the time in 09 vs Cork we certainly left that 1 after us, we have a sizeable population in Limerick to accommodate all sports. If football got proper backing it would improve the game in Limerick, it showed in the recent past we are capable of producing good footballers. You are right in fairness playing in a tier 2 or 3 competition would be a good starting block to get things rolling at senior level at least but you are just trying to be condescending comparing Gaelic football to tag rugby.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 520 - 24/06/2019 18:15:21    2200122

Link

Replying To fenianfullback:  "@brud I think you are being disingenuous to Billy Lee and his coaching staff. he is a good coach and a better manager and I wouldnt like to think where Limerick football would be at had he not stepped in when he did. He stood up for his players last year when nobody else gave a toss.Limerick football was at a low ebb when he took over and he has brought a group together that play for the jersey and have restored a bit of pride in Limerick football. Also if people choose not to play for their county that is their decision and move on, plenty have been approached and refused to commit which is understandable so we should not criticise the group that have given so much of their time for Limerick and football in the county. Fair play to the Limerick squad and management this year, they have made progress."
I agree, Limerick football has alot to be thankful to Billy Lee for and they have made progress this year. He is also willing to stand up for his players and say how it is in a county that doesn't care about football and doesn't treat them the same as the hurlers.

Without county board backing, it doesn't matter who the manager is, Limerick football will go nowhere. The success of the 2000's was in spite of and not because of any football plan. We just happened to get a very talented group of underage players coming up together. Many were dual players who were more than happy to play hurling and football for their county but of course we know that can't happen now as U17's have to decide if they want to play football or hurling for Limerick and naturally hurling is more the more attractive.

I fear it will be along time again before we will be challenging the likes of Kerry and Cork in Munster.

county man (Limerick) - Posts: 1078 - 24/06/2019 22:06:32    2200329

Link

You had one of the greatest mid fielders ever in John Galvin. I used to tune into your matches just to watch him tear cork and kerry apart. Am I right in saying there is a decent number of clubs in limerick that play football? Are there many players playing underage? If croke park got behind limerick with the aim to increase football standards and participation like they did for hurling in Dublin I've no doubt you'd get it together.

Jack_Goff (Meath) - Posts: 2844 - 26/06/2019 01:46:55    2201028

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Limerick winning a Munster Football Final. This has to be the silliest thing I have heard in a while. It's not realistic goal setting.There is no chance of that. There isnt the interest among talented Kids to play the game. I think Limerick should aim to row in behind the tier 2 and 3 proposals and aim to compete in that. There is an appetite to have a good well run county championship and really set the game up as an alternative to the hothouse competition in Hurling and Rugby...Have Gaelic football as a proper fun pastime in Limerick..like tag rugby."
Football like tag rugby?? Football is taken seriously by hundreds of adults across the county from February to October every year, tag rugby is a bit of light hearted exercise during the summer for peopele who generally dont play any other sport or are retired from sport. If you try and agrue that its not taken seriously then you obviously have no involvement in your local club. There are 24 senior and intermediate clubs who all have panels of 20+ that train and play regularly, if you cant see the difference between football and something like tag rugby then I dont know what you're at. Making a comparison between the two belittles the effort that everyone involved in football puts in. Club football in Limerick is not as bad as people make out and is fiercely contested on a number of fronts.

I'd definitely agree with the poster who says that the right focus and assistance from Croke Park could make us competitive again.. the heady days of the noughties when we could've added a few Munster titles (and we were narrowly beaten in the division 1 league semi final in 04!) seem far away but Dublin hurling in the early noughties was in a similar place to Limerick football now and they've completely turned it around.

McFan88 (Limerick) - Posts: 357 - 26/06/2019 10:40:36    2201113

Link

Replying To Jack_Goff:  "You had one of the greatest mid fielders ever in John Galvin. I used to tune into your matches just to watch him tear cork and kerry apart. Am I right in saying there is a decent number of clubs in limerick that play football? Are there many players playing underage? If croke park got behind limerick with the aim to increase football standards and participation like they did for hurling in Dublin I've no doubt you'd get it together."
Yeah John Galvin is a legend in Limerick football. He was a key reason why we were so competitive in the 2000's. There are a decent number of football clubs in Limerick, mostly in West Limerick. There isn't much hurling on that side of the county apart from a few junior clubs. The standard at club level has noticeably fallen though in the last 10 years.

The players numbers are dropping though and some clubs are amalgamating at under-age level, this is mainly due to the population falling in the more rural areas of West Limerick and the county not encouraging dual players anymore. I'm not sure what Croke Park can do though if the county itself doesn't want to promote football.

county man (Limerick) - Posts: 1078 - 26/06/2019 22:47:34    2201515

Link

Replying To county man:  "Yeah John Galvin is a legend in Limerick football. He was a key reason why we were so competitive in the 2000's. There are a decent number of football clubs in Limerick, mostly in West Limerick. There isn't much hurling on that side of the county apart from a few junior clubs. The standard at club level has noticeably fallen though in the last 10 years.

The players numbers are dropping though and some clubs are amalgamating at under-age level, this is mainly due to the population falling in the more rural areas of West Limerick and the county not encouraging dual players anymore. I'm not sure what Croke Park can do though if the county itself doesn't want to promote football."
Think you keep missing the point , the game of Gaelic football has gone so defensive etc it's hard attract young lads in traditional football counties not to mind Limerick . Football used be a game of skill but now it's a game of fitness with a basketball pattern of play , the big problem for Gaelic football in limerick is that there are 2 serious alternatives for the sporting public .
In limerick people are seeking something more exciting and at this point in time rugby and hurling are ticking the box for the vast majority . Soccer too bar a few city clubs is losing the battle v rugby and hurling as it's become boring and uneventful also . Regardless of what the county board did or could do unless the game becomes more skill based and less defensive it doesn't matter what they do .in counties that have little hurling or rugby like mayo , Tyrone etc football will keep going as there's little else but even in those counties interest is flat enough and it's more their desire for their county to win something than the standard of fare Gaelic football serves up .
RTEs figures for live Gaelic football last couple of years showed serious declines in viewership so it's not just Limerick where the lack of interest is .

OpenStand (Limerick) - Posts: 179 - 27/06/2019 13:13:45    2201688

Link

Replying To Jack_Goff:  "You had one of the greatest mid fielders ever in John Galvin. I used to tune into your matches just to watch him tear cork and kerry apart. Am I right in saying there is a decent number of clubs in limerick that play football? Are there many players playing underage? If croke park got behind limerick with the aim to increase football standards and participation like they did for hurling in Dublin I've no doubt you'd get it together."
Your right in the inner city clubs more are playing football then hurling,some very good footballers in Limerick who choose not to play with the county,alot is down to politics but the underage teams seem to be improving and picking the best players instead of the club their from.

cityman73 (Limerick) - Posts: 446 - 27/06/2019 18:57:13    2201829

Link