Sligo Forum

London

(Oldest Posts First)

As london continue to get stronger and stronger the addition of irwin (a minor and u21 all Ireland winner) and Witherow (all ireland winner with Donegal), and we continue our dire league form. One cannot help but be worried that a repeat of 2012 is in store. Playing all the league games at home will serioulsy strenghten London also, ironically shane Mc a player we could serioulsy do with is supposed to be playing serious ball for the exiles. They are however weakened with the new cormac coyne is returning home a huge boast for Carly locally.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 100 - 05/03/2018 14:20:31    2081930

Link

Replying To pointman2007:  "As london continue to get stronger and stronger the addition of irwin (a minor and u21 all Ireland winner) and Witherow (all ireland winner with Donegal), and we continue our dire league form. One cannot help but be worried that a repeat of 2012 is in store. Playing all the league games at home will serioulsy strenghten London also, ironically shane Mc a player we could serioulsy do with is supposed to be playing serious ball for the exiles. They are however weakened with the new cormac coyne is returning home a huge boast for Carly locally."
Any truth in Eoin Flanagan and James Hynes lining out for the exiles aswell? All 4 should be lining out for us not against us. Repeat of 2012 must be avoided.

grassroots14 (Sligo) - Posts: 92 - 06/03/2018 12:21:37    2082171

Link

Replying To grassroots14:  "Any truth in Eoin Flanagan and James Hynes lining out for the exiles aswell? All 4 should be lining out for us not against us. Repeat of 2012 must be avoided."
I wouldnt say all 4 now. 1 maybe 2 out of the 4. Lets be serious...

I've never really heard of this Coyne lad

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 241 - 06/03/2018 17:04:56    2082255

Link

It was 2013 we last played London over there....the catastrophic day

an_broc (Sligo) - Posts: 18 - 06/03/2018 17:46:04    2082269

Link

I know Flanagan is over there dont know if he has been called in. Not sure about hynes, he'd be a huge addition to them and a fella who I think didnt get a fair chance when he was in with the county. Coyne has been one of London's best performers for the last 2 years, won 2 club all stars with calry prior to that and played sigerson for sligo IT. Also it would be quite novel if the 2 carabine's come up against one another surely that will be the first time at intercounty level?

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 100 - 06/03/2018 18:06:42    2082275

Link

Many travelling for the London game? know of any reasonably priced hotels going?

Heever86 (Sligo) - Posts: 16 - 11/04/2018 15:02:35    2092390

Link

Replying To Heever86:  "Many travelling for the London game? know of any reasonably priced hotels going?"
4 of us going, we got an Airbnb and it worked out much cheaper compared to price of hotels

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 296 - 11/04/2018 15:49:53    2092406

Link

Heard our Seniors lost by 10pts to Leitrim in a challenge the other night, not worried at all for the London match, probably lost on purpose to try and get the underdogs tag for the London match, btw is Corey still here?

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1391 - 19/04/2018 15:23:20    2093986

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "Heard our Seniors lost by 10pts to Leitrim in a challenge the other night, not worried at all for the London match, probably lost on purpose to try and get the underdogs tag for the London match, btw is Corey still here?"
Still there but rumor has it that Sam Allardyce is taking over for the London game.

Benbulben (Sligo) - Posts: 297 - 19/04/2018 16:44:28    2093996

Link

Heard Paddy O'Connor and Mc Donnell are struggling to be fit, worrying times ahead.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 100 - 20/04/2018 10:16:49    2094076

Link

Hearing Keelan Cawley is out, plenty of niggling injuries too but most should make it.

This is a worrying game, I never enjoy the build up to the London, Leitrim or New York games, we owe them one for sure, lets hope its better organised than 2013 when we ran out of water in the warm up and we keep the heads if everything isn't perfect. The players showed character in the league but that character now needs to be consistent not jekyll and hyde like Offaly away 0-8 to Derry at home 3-11 from 1 week to the next.

I read a good article this week on the Galway 98 team and relationship between the older and youngers players having great chemistry and made me think of earlier this year within our panel, probably time to get a new players liaison officer but hopefully the end of the league gelled things better and everyone looks at pushing everyone on up a few levels.

On Corey, hopefully his poor management wont be too much of a disadvantage, he won't have prepared a team for Intercounty championship before so one can only hope the experienced players and Aaron Gyles carried him there. Just hope we don't start off too defensive for too long and get energy in our game. We need to set the intensity and pace and dictate to them and at least with the ball get it moving fast. Players need to overrule any of his stupid tactics out on the field to and push up and stay calm if it's tight late on, just like we did when 4pts down to Derry.

Best of luck and safe travels all.

Sligeach abu

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1391 - 02/05/2018 21:08:43    2096316

Link

"We haven't focused on Sligo too much, not out of a lack of respect but more out of respect for ourselves, as we want to impose our own game where previously we may have tried to prevent the opposition from playing."

A quote from London vice captain, what an idiot saying this is in public in the week of the game, couldn't contain himself I guess.

Just to make this clear to the Sligo players if yere in any doubt London absolutely don't respect or rate Sligo. Motivation shouldn't be lacking for so many reasons now. We should be ravenous.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1391 - 03/05/2018 05:52:42    2096338

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  ""We haven't focused on Sligo too much, not out of a lack of respect but more out of respect for ourselves, as we want to impose our own game where previously we may have tried to prevent the opposition from playing."

A quote from London vice captain, what an idiot saying this is in public in the week of the game, couldn't contain himself I guess.

Just to make this clear to the Sligo players if yere in any doubt London absolutely don't respect or rate Sligo. Motivation shouldn't be lacking for so many reasons now. We should be ravenous."
Sligo to win by min of 5 points!

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 173 - 03/05/2018 14:39:24    2096435

Link

Cathal Corey will put out his strongest team. Anything less would be taking London for granted therefore there will be u.20 players used. His sole objective is the Senior team. Sligo to win, but not by much.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 485 - 04/05/2018 08:04:22    2096563

Link

What to we make of the team? Paddy O Connor a big loss but wouldn't be surprised if he was a late call up. A huge test for Nicholson at FB. Hate seeing Murphy at MF not his position, we lose his threat as a forward and he doesnt have the work ethic for it. Excited to see how young Gaughan goes. Safe travelling to everyone going over

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 100 - 04/05/2018 11:56:57    2096611

Link

Yeah I know your right Eoinog, he will play his best team.

Pointman yeah I'm expecting a few changes before throw in too and positional switches, hopefully the radio will pick up on it all.

The Masters had a great win over there today, well done like last year great to see those legends wearing the Black and White again.

Good weather so hopefully a big Sligo support over there.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1391 - 05/05/2018 19:33:55    2096837

Link

Sligo 1-21 London 1-11, would of taken that scoreline before the game, good start meant we could all relax to a certain extent. London did get to 4pts a few times and should of had a penalty in first half but credit to our players we kept them at arms length throughout and picked it up when needed. London were poor though.

2 Changes at the throw were Eoin McHugh and Paddy O Connor started instead of nicholson and breheny.

I like that we brought on Carrabine and Breheny when London were tiring and to close the game out.

We didnt seem to pick up any injuries either which is great.

We played Galway last at Home in 2014 and Mayo Away last year so we are away if Galway win and at Home if Mayo win.

All I would say is about that Game on June 3rd is last year, Sligo had Mayo pegged back 1-10 to 10 and we had a chance of goal ourselves with 10 mins to go, with a bit more belief could of caught them, (we held back a little when it was there for us), and the influx of youngsters this year will add to the belief, they're used to beating mayo/galway underage at schools and county level. Both Mayo or Galway will have one eye on the final 2 weeks later. Look how Roscommon did against Galway in the Connacht final, a good gameplan built around midfield possession destroyed Galway.

For me this year the minimum goals were to stay up in Div3 and beat London, im delighted we achieved that, credit to the players. Anything now is now bonus territory for me and will interesting to see how we get on the next day.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1391 - 06/05/2018 17:48:04    2096927

Link

Forgot to mention Cathal Henry who had a great debut (0-3)even more so that he wasn't involved in the league, Clearly must have went very well in training and challenges but the Gerry McGowan influence clearly evident there. McGowans stock is certainly rising and Rouse aswell both are rumoured to be very good additions to the management team. Fair play.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1391 - 06/05/2018 18:27:30    2096933

Link

Great result, agree with a lot of what sligonian is saying great to have the pace and impact of Breheny and Carrabine off the bench. Our forward play seems a lot sharper, that could be attributed to Gerry Mc Gowans appointment. Im sure the mangement team will have some headaches now picking the starting team next time out. Sligonian I think you may have had some Canadian ale in you during the last post, both mayo and Galway are both currently in the top 5 teams in the country and we would do well to compete with either team. Id be hoping for a mayo win next weekend because they are an ageing team and can be got at more so than Galway in terms of the way we play on the otherhand I think galway would absolutely demolish us and it would not be pleasant viewing. Anyways a great reuslt & performance that would some in evoking the deamons of 2013.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 100 - 08/05/2018 10:09:29    2097212

Link

Job done with the minimum of fuss. I never support Mayo but this weekend I will be hoping that they beat Galway. Playing Mayo in Markievicz Park is a lot more appealing than going to the game force winds of Salthill.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 485 - 08/05/2018 12:14:37    2097253

Link