Down Forum

Down Senior Footballers 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

In fairness the county are putting the work in with the emerging talent squads which hopefully will reap reward and will have us competitive in the future. The manager of the senior team is so important though and if we could get the right person lke tyrone did with mickey harte who helped shape the tyrone structures not to mention the success he had with their senior team in tandem.

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 223 - 28/03/2018 20:01:42    2089147

Link

I was sorry to hear of the passing of Maurice Hayes in December, a man who played a huge part in Down's late 1950s and 60s successes. I have heard him referred to a a visionary in regards to Down football. He and other likeminded men and women revolutionized Gaelic football at the time, humbling the mighty Kerry who dominated the game like the modern day Dublin.
Mickey Harte, Kevin Heffernan, Mick O'Dwyer, love them or loathe them changed the way the game was played. Giants of the game, all I see in Down are pygmies, more interested in defending their own little fiefdoms.
We in Down are shaping up to join Derry and Cork, counties where there seems to be perennial trouble between the players and County Board and fans. We'll see what sort of crowd turns up in Newry on Sunday, at Pairc Esler which is fast becoming the graveyard of Down football, the players must dread the sight of it. I'd love if Down could play their games in Newcastle again, and I'm a Newry man.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 10 - 28/03/2018 21:06:54    2089164

Link

Replying To downtothecore:  "In fairness the county are putting the work in with the emerging talent squads which hopefully will reap reward and will have us competitive in the future. The manager of the senior team is so important though and if we could get the right person lke tyrone did with mickey harte who helped shape the tyrone structures not to mention the success he had with their senior team in tandem."
What age groups u talking about?

Thekid14 (Down) - Posts: 152 - 28/03/2018 23:08:50    2089212

Link

Replying To Newmitch:  "I was sorry to hear of the passing of Maurice Hayes in December, a man who played a huge part in Down's late 1950s and 60s successes. I have heard him referred to a a visionary in regards to Down football. He and other likeminded men and women revolutionized Gaelic football at the time, humbling the mighty Kerry who dominated the game like the modern day Dublin.
Mickey Harte, Kevin Heffernan, Mick O'Dwyer, love them or loathe them changed the way the game was played. Giants of the game, all I see in Down are pygmies, more interested in defending their own little fiefdoms.
We in Down are shaping up to join Derry and Cork, counties where there seems to be perennial trouble between the players and County Board and fans. We'll see what sort of crowd turns up in Newry on Sunday, at Pairc Esler which is fast becoming the graveyard of Down football, the players must dread the sight of it. I'd love if Down could play their games in Newcastle again, and I'm a Newry man."
Newmitch, Newcastle sadly no longer has the facilities to stage major games. The Tipperary match is on Saturday, not Sunday, and Down's poor record in Newry is of relatively recent origin.

MourneRising (Down) - Posts: 229 - 28/03/2018 23:15:10    2089214

Link

Replying To Thekid14:  "What age groups u talking about?"
U14, u15 and u17.

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 223 - 29/03/2018 06:57:13    2089234

Link

Replying To MourneRising:  "Newmitch, Newcastle sadly no longer has the facilities to stage major games. The Tipperary match is on Saturday, not Sunday, and Down's poor record in Newry is of relatively recent origin."
Under Eamon Burns down have only won one game in Newry, against Armagh in last years championship. I don't expect that statistic to change on Saturday. Burns' record at under age level was actually worse, he had never managed to win a game while he managed any of the county teams. You'd really have to ask yourself what the hell Sean og was talking about when he announced that 'they had got their man' when Burns was ratified as manager of the senior team. There are statistics on facebook and the gaaboard that really don't make for great reading when it comes to Eamon's tenure as manager, especially when you consider that Down have played a further two league games and lost both. It's going to be a short summer.

5iveTimes (Down) - Posts: 49 - 29/03/2018 11:37:02    2089290

Link

Replying To Newmitch:  "I was sorry to hear of the passing of Maurice Hayes in December, a man who played a huge part in Down's late 1950s and 60s successes. I have heard him referred to a a visionary in regards to Down football. He and other likeminded men and women revolutionized Gaelic football at the time, humbling the mighty Kerry who dominated the game like the modern day Dublin.
We in Down are shaping up to join Derry and Cork, counties where there seems to be perennial trouble between the players and County Board and fans. We'll see what sort of crowd turns up in Newry on Sunday, at Pairc Esler which is fast becoming the graveyard of Down football, the players must dread the sight of it. I'd love if Down could play their games in Newcastle again, and I'm a Newry man."
......I'd love if Down could play their games in Newcastle again, and I'm a Newry man."

Couldn't agree more, same goes for County Finals, no atmosphere in Newry, couldn't care less if Down were playing in front of an ole barn if they were at least a team worth watching.....The County Board spent a small fortune redeveloping Newry which is handier to get to from surrounding counties than large swathe's of Down.

We're badly in need of a Maurice Hayes type character & then some, lack of imagination from the top down.....Also sadly seems to be a malaise of apathy in general around the county. There was a great support that came out for our surprise run to the Ulster Final last year so the roots are there, they just need serious watering!

Mourne.Identidy (Down) - Posts: 12 - 29/03/2018 11:49:13    2089293

Link

Saturdays game should tell us a lot about the mood in the Down camp. From a spectators point of view it seems as if we are in the exact same place as 2017, on the verge of exiting Division two, needing a miracle result to escape.
There is the same bad vibe in the county, there seem to be defections from the camp on a weekly basis, a siege mentality from management and board, no one made available to local media after the Meath game.
Unfortunately two miracles are needed, Tipperary must be defeated and Louth must beat Meath if Down are to maintain their status. I expect a major effort from the players, to be fair to them they always give it their best, even if it falls short. They haven't quit and given up, what worries me is the body language after the defeat to Clare
As the crowd trooped out, the players were gathering for their warm down. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but they looked totally dejected, lost. If their is a surrender on Saturday, I can't see how the management can lift them for an Ulster title challenge. If Eamonn Burns falls on his sword I hope the person who put him in his position follows him.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 10 - 30/03/2018 12:41:30    2089520

Link

Replying To Newmitch:  "Saturdays game should tell us a lot about the mood in the Down camp. From a spectators point of view it seems as if we are in the exact same place as 2017, on the verge of exiting Division two, needing a miracle result to escape.
There is the same bad vibe in the county, there seem to be defections from the camp on a weekly basis, a siege mentality from management and board, no one made available to local media after the Meath game.
Unfortunately two miracles are needed, Tipperary must be defeated and Louth must beat Meath if Down are to maintain their status. I expect a major effort from the players, to be fair to them they always give it their best, even if it falls short. They haven't quit and given up, what worries me is the body language after the defeat to Clare
As the crowd trooped out, the players were gathering for their warm down. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but they looked totally dejected, lost. If their is a surrender on Saturday, I can't see how the management can lift them for an Ulster title challenge. If Eamonn Burns falls on his sword I hope the person who put him in his position follows him."
No mention on any of the Down GAA social media pages that the senior team have a game today. I doubt you'll have much bother getting a seat anyway. Maybe they could get someone to run the pages for them, someone with an interest in Down GAA. The PRO and his cohorts are obviously too busy.
No team named, but you can't really blame them for that. On the bright side you won't have to waste £3 on a programme as the team named in that will bear no resemblance to the team that take the field. Division 3 here we come. An utter shambles.

5iveTimes (Down) - Posts: 49 - 31/03/2018 11:48:26    2089673

Link

On the morning of the original Down v Tipperary fixture I had to go to the Tipperary Gaa Twitter account to find out if the game was still on
Good news, Benny Coulter in Newry Democrat thinks, "Down still have a real good chance of making an Ulster Championship Final".
The people who really know have Down as fourth favourite to win a title. The little media interest in Down will dwindle to almost nothing in Division Three. As far as The Sunday Game is concerned Down don't exist.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 10 - 31/03/2018 12:23:06    2089677

Link

Folks our underage has not been competitve. We have no trophies in 10 years. We dont deserve div 2. We need competitive successfull teams at underage to start challenging at higher level again.

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 223 - 31/03/2018 14:16:21    2089695

Link

Pregame a minutes silence was beautifully observed in memory of Rachel Kennealy, a Senior Tipperary footballer who died aged 26. All The Tipperary subs and staff standing to attention on the sideline.
. A win, and a hard working performance, still didn't save Down from relegatation though. Tipp made seven changes, this was a game they didn't need and it showed. Liam Kearns and his sideline staff looked relaxed, their thoughts probably on the Munster Championship.
Down won the throw in and Dornan goaled within the first 14 seconds. I hope the team and manager take the lesson, get the ball forward quickly, preferably kicking it and good things happen. Down were doing better at midfield, Turley was effective, and plenty of loose ball was picked up. The wide count was down too, but Donal O'Hare still missed a free from his hands. Anthony O'Doherty missed two off the ground. There has to be improvement here, it'll cost Down against better teams.
Down definitely seemed to be trying to play at a higher pace and looked better for it. They also went with two sometimes three men up, much better and more attacking. They still had problems penetrating Tipps perimeter, players not spotting runs, not using the space on Tipps right flank. You have to try and play with your head up. Turley and McKernan both need to work on their passing, turning over hard won possession with sloppy passing. McKernan needs to work on his body position in the tackle, several Tipp players got past him too easily with a simple drop of the shoulder.
The Down goalkeeper twice kicked the ball unopposed to a Tipp player. He also failed to clear the ball for the Tipp goal, but wasn't helped by his backs. He needs to speed up the restarts, he missed Down players who had got open. I had feared a surrender pre match but it didn't happen, the Down players effort couldn't be faulted. I just hope the slow motion football is abandoned, its a dead end, most teams are moving away from the blanket even Donegal and Tyrone. The blanket has put Derry in Division Four, let's not join them. Hard to judge the crowd size, maybe 1,500 to 1,800, Lots of work to do, still can't see us in an Ulster Final. Keep kicking the ball lads, and start finding the net, that's the real Down style.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 10 - 02/04/2018 16:49:19    2090371

Link