Donegal Forum

NFL 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Just thinking that our backline could include McGrath,McGee,McGlynn,McLoone and possibly Anthony Thompson.There is a lot of experience there but what worries me is, can these players be as good as they once were.Apart from Eoghan Ban none of the newer players are a" must include" for May although I personally think Caolan Ward should be a definite starter.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 446 - 03/04/2018 12:49:20    2090634

Link

Replying To gunman:  "Just thinking that our backline could include McGrath,McGee,McGlynn,McLoone and possibly Anthony Thompson.There is a lot of experience there but what worries me is, can these players be as good as they once were.Apart from Eoghan Ban none of the newer players are a" must include" for May although I personally think Caolan Ward should be a definite starter."
I would say myself that Anthony Thompson will be a squad player rather than a definite starter but I guess much will depend on the form he is showing in training. He is obviously a high caliber player so. Ban is now a definite starter who along with Daoire O'Baoill and Tony McClenaghan could form quite a half back line in a couple of years time. As for Caolan Ward where would u play him?

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 1464 - 03/04/2018 13:01:22    2090643

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "I would say myself that Anthony Thompson will be a squad player rather than a definite starter but I guess much will depend on the form he is showing in training. He is obviously a high caliber player so. Ban is now a definite starter who along with Daoire O'Baoill and Tony McClenaghan could form quite a half back line in a couple of years time. As for Caolan Ward where would u play him?"
I would have Eoghan Ban and Caolan Ward on the same wing of the defence left or right probably right and they would be interchangeable between the full backline and the half backline as circumstances would dictate.I think that would give us tremendous counter attacking options from one side of the field.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 446 - 03/04/2018 14:54:57    2090686

Link

Replying To gunman:  "I would have Eoghan Ban and Caolan Ward on the same wing of the defence left or right probably right and they would be interchangeable between the full backline and the half backline as circumstances would dictate.I think that would give us tremendous counter attacking options from one side of the field."
One thing against Ward is that he is not really a score taker something I think is important especially when playing wing back.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 1464 - 03/04/2018 17:32:15    2090756

Link

Replying To Commodore:  "There's a lot of discussion around the Country about inconsistent refereeing this year, a lot of frees we conceded have been soft and are more to do with referees than our own discipline. I'm impressed with our physical edge this year, and our pace.

Looking at our National League, while results-wise it wasn't great, the clear positives were our younger players who joined the panel in last 2 years stepping up (Jamie, Eoghan Ban, Hugh etc), newer faces showing their potential and generally as a team showing we have the potential to go toe to toe with the best."
I agree it was a good league campaign despite relegation. I think Division 2 will do no harm for the younger guys in the panel to develop even more. As you pointed out the players who played last year have really kicked on this year and you would hope some would follow suit. Done Tyrone no harm a couple of years ago and I think Donegal are at a similar stage developmentally. Hopefully playing in division 2 as well as this years championship will bring back that winning mentality. Important lessons are learned in that rather playing a game out keep the foot on the throat so to speak rather than giving teams who should be dead and buried a chance to get a result. Donegal were definitely on the end of some poor refereeing decisions. In alot of cases players were falling to the ground as soon as feeling even light contact. But it is a national problem not just a Donegal one. Another bug bearer for me is the amount of steps players take. There is one team in particular who regularly are allowed 8 steps or more without being penalized and I am not referring to Mayo when I say this. I am sure those of you who watch games on the national stage know exactly who I mean.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 1464 - 03/04/2018 17:42:52    2090765

Link

Replying To gunman:  "Just thinking that our backline could include McGrath,McGee,McGlynn,McLoone and possibly Anthony Thompson.There is a lot of experience there but what worries me is, can these players be as good as they once were.Apart from Eoghan Ban none of the newer players are a" must include" for May although I personally think Caolan Ward should be a definite starter."
We have a formidable list of new and older defenders, I see enough talent there to hold off any attack. There is more experience now than in Jim McGuinness side of 2011, and I think we are in a good place.

I've listed my preferred starting defensive six in full back and half back lines, and some alternative players for each line (Although Gillespie & Walsh are currently both out)

Full back line: Eamon Doherty, Neil McGee, Paddy McGrath.
Alternative players: Caolan Ward, Conor Morrison, Kieran Gillespie, Stephen McMenamin.

Half back line: Eoghan Ban Gallagher, Leo McLoone, Frank McGlynn.
Alternative players: Anthony Thompson, Paul Brennan, Tony McClenaghan, Caolan McGonigle, Daire O'Baoill, Declan Walsh.

Commodore (Donegal) - Posts: 269 - 03/04/2018 20:27:07    2090811

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "I would say myself that Anthony Thompson will be a squad player rather than a definite starter but I guess much will depend on the form he is showing in training. He is obviously a high caliber player so. Ban is now a definite starter who along with Daoire O'Baoill and Tony McClenaghan could form quite a half back line in a couple of years time. As for Caolan Ward where would u play him?"
Ward plays in the half backline for Eunans and does score the odd point.I think he is a very good footballer,great on the ball and fast.I agree with you about Daire O'Baoill ,great potential but surprisingly Declan didn't give him much game time which would suggest he will not be a starter against Cavan.My backline would be
Gallagher McGee McGrath

Ward McGlynn Ryan McHugh (maybe a forward but he plays better coming from deep)

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 446 - 03/04/2018 22:05:53    2090840

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "I agree it was a good league campaign despite relegation. I think Division 2 will do no harm for the younger guys in the panel to develop even more. As you pointed out the players who played last year have really kicked on this year and you would hope some would follow suit. Done Tyrone no harm a couple of years ago and I think Donegal are at a similar stage developmentally. Hopefully playing in division 2 as well as this years championship will bring back that winning mentality. Important lessons are learned in that rather playing a game out keep the foot on the throat so to speak rather than giving teams who should be dead and buried a chance to get a result. Donegal were definitely on the end of some poor refereeing decisions. In alot of cases players were falling to the ground as soon as feeling even light contact. But it is a national problem not just a Donegal one. Another bug bearer for me is the amount of steps players take. There is one team in particular who regularly are allowed 8 steps or more without being penalized and I am not referring to Mayo when I say this. I am sure those of you who watch games on the national stage know exactly who I mean."
Hi Panamasam: Would they wear blue by any chance.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 347 - 03/04/2018 22:06:33    2090843

Link

Replying To AudiMan:  "Hi Panamasam: Would they wear blue by any chance."
That would be correct and right ;)

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 1464 - 03/04/2018 23:07:41    2090862

Link

Replying To gunman:  "Ward plays in the half backline for Eunans and does score the odd point.I think he is a very good footballer,great on the ball and fast.I agree with you about Daire O'Baoill ,great potential but surprisingly Declan didn't give him much game time which would suggest he will not be a starter against Cavan.My backline would be
Gallagher McGee McGrath

Ward McGlynn Ryan McHugh (maybe a forward but he plays better coming from deep)"
Yeah I know he plays there for Eunans seen him in action with them a few times. I know he might get the odd point with them but when I see him with Donegal he gets into decent positions but does not have the confidence to take a score. As a result he ends up turning back looking to pass the ball off. Yeah I cannot see O'Baoill starting but he is definitely one for the future. Surprised he not really got much game time since the McKenna Cup final. Anybody who was there will tell you how good he was even against a Tyrone team far from full throttle especially defensively.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 1464 - 03/04/2018 23:12:08    2090863

Link

Looking at the selection for the backs above, would it be sensible to suggest that Ryan McHugh could play in the half forward line, potentially a number 12?

He played there in his breakthrough years and pace in the half forward line is something we might be lacking / miss from losing Eoin McHugh at the start of the year.

Potential 15:

Shaun Patton

McGrath
McGee
Ward

Ban Gallagher
McLoone
Paul Brennan

McFadden
Mullins

R McHugh
McNiallais
S McBrearty

Brennan
Murphy
P McBrearty

Potentials:
O'Baoill (scored well from play in NFL)
McClenaghan
McGlynn (invaluable experience)

I think we need to keep up with the winning formula of very fit, physically strong and scoring half backs, which O'Baoill, McClenaghan etc proved in the league they can do.

Also, having McHugh in the half forward line would free him up more for fast, counter attacking football that Declan Bonner is keen on.

burkepatrick (Donegal) - Posts: 5 - 03/04/2018 23:35:12    2090868

Link

Replying To AudiMan:  "Hi Panamasam: Would they wear blue by any chance."
Holding the ball up in one hand as if you were going to bounce it for a number of steps is a good one.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 446 - 03/04/2018 23:44:16    2090870

Link

Replying To gunman:  "Ward plays in the half backline for Eunans and does score the odd point.I think he is a very good footballer,great on the ball and fast.I agree with you about Daire O'Baoill ,great potential but surprisingly Declan didn't give him much game time which would suggest he will not be a starter against Cavan.My backline would be
Gallagher McGee McGrath

Ward McGlynn Ryan McHugh (maybe a forward but he plays better coming from deep)"
Caolan Ward is a very good player, he reminds me a little bit of Eamon McGee. He has been played at a number of defensive positions this year, but I thought he impressed most in the full/Corner back positions. Is he currently better than Neil McGee, Paddy McGrath and Eamon Doherty? Maybe not at the minute.

Eamon Doherty has been excellent this year, he has put in some very gritty defensive performances and is definitely vying for starting position at Corner back against Cavan.

Commodore (Donegal) - Posts: 269 - 03/04/2018 23:46:24    2090872

Link

Replying To burkepatrick:  "Looking at the selection for the backs above, would it be sensible to suggest that Ryan McHugh could play in the half forward line, potentially a number 12?

He played there in his breakthrough years and pace in the half forward line is something we might be lacking / miss from losing Eoin McHugh at the start of the year.

Potential 15:

Shaun Patton

McGrath
McGee
Ward

Ban Gallagher
McLoone
Paul Brennan

McFadden
Mullins

R McHugh
McNiallais
S McBrearty

Brennan
Murphy
P McBrearty

Potentials:
O'Baoill (scored well from play in NFL)
McClenaghan
McGlynn (invaluable experience)

I think we need to keep up with the winning formula of very fit, physically strong and scoring half backs, which O'Baoill, McClenaghan etc proved in the league they can do.

Also, having McHugh in the half forward line would free him up more for fast, counter attacking football that Declan Bonner is keen on."
Good team...like it but Frank definite starter for me.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 1464 - 04/04/2018 13:19:33    2091006

Link

Another player missing off a lot of lists, Martin O'Reilly.

A powerful runner, regularly scoring from play.

Is he injured or out of selection at the moment?

burkepatrick (Donegal) - Posts: 5 - 04/04/2018 15:15:00    2091047

Link

Replying To burkepatrick:  "Another player missing off a lot of lists, Martin O'Reilly.

A powerful runner, regularly scoring from play.

Is he injured or out of selection at the moment?"
Not sure what the story is there. Again a player who impressed in the McKenna cup final but not seen much of him since. Can play in a few positions and a pretty accurate shooter. I often felt under the previous regime he was wasted been constantly asked to run back towards his own goal. Also a hard worker with a good engine so surprising Marty has not seen more game time if not injured.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 1464 - 04/04/2018 17:15:26    2091100

Link