Dublin Forum

The Dubs: NFL DIV 1 / NHL 1B 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I can't get my ahead around that it is not Tyrone, Kerry, or Mayo that will put it up to Dublin in the years to come.. it looks like galway are the team to watch.
Plus they have have Corofin lads to come back too!

Dublin were just lucky that Galway did not have the game know how yet.
That wide Conroy took before he was taken off summed things up for me.
If the was more patience and played the galway lads in they were on for a goal on the break.

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 945 - 01/04/2018 21:15:09    2090145

Link

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "I can't get my ahead around that it is not Tyrone, Kerry, or Mayo that will put it up to Dublin in the years to come.. it looks like galway are the team to watch.
Plus they have have Corofin lads to come back too!

Dublin were just lucky that Galway did not have the game know how yet.
That wide Conroy took before he was taken off summed things up for me.
If the was more patience and played the galway lads in they were on for a goal on the break."
I will reserve judgement on Galway until the Mayo game. No doubt they have some class players but looks to me like they have put serious effort and training into the league, a but like Roscommon 2 years ago, albeit they look a different proposition to them. Look at all the players we gave to come back and as JG says only 2 weeks training in advance of the league. I am very confident that come summer time and withmost of our key pkayers back we will be a different animal #4inarow

fingalman (Dublin) - Posts: 145 - 02/04/2018 10:44:41    2090254

Link

Replying To fingalman:  "I will reserve judgement on Galway until the Mayo game. No doubt they have some class players but looks to me like they have put serious effort and training into the league, a but like Roscommon 2 years ago, albeit they look a different proposition to them. Look at all the players we gave to come back and as JG says only 2 weeks training in advance of the league. I am very confident that come summer time and withmost of our key pkayers back we will be a different animal #4inarow"
No doubt about that.
Just to clarify I was not saying that I thought Dublin were poor.
I was impressed with them the way they kept going when a man down.
I just feel that Galway had the winning of it and left it behind them.

I think Jim Gavin is doing a great job.
I hope he stays around as long as Valdimir Putin!

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 945 - 02/04/2018 16:00:04    2090349

Link

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "No doubt about that.
Just to clarify I was not saying that I thought Dublin were poor.
I was impressed with them the way they kept going when a man down.
I just feel that Galway had the winning of it and left it behind them.

I think Jim Gavin is doing a great job.
I hope he stays around as long as Valdimir Putin!"
Haha

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 18690 - 02/04/2018 17:58:07    2090391

Link

Its been a massively positive league lads, for me i cant remember another campaign were we have taken so much from it.

The positives have been the padding out of the squad and some genuine contenders for starting slots just look at what has been blodded in this league Comerford, O Shea, Small, Mually, Murchan, Howard, Basquel. Other lads who have been on fringes like McHugh, Redden, O Conghaile, Carthy etc have all been opportunists and all go home with league medals. Of all the talk of Kerry and Galway young players, is there anyone who bloods and develops youngsters like Dublin. Its hugely positive and as we know the strength of the panel is key.

Essentially we have won the league playing half the of seasoned established players and the other half fringe players and youngsters. Granted we have looked almost human in some games but such is the cost of devloping players and evolving the panel. Galway looked about as good as could be on offer this year and with a hybrid team they were beaten by four points, dont get me wrong Galway were excellent, but four points with a hybrid team, with 14 men, playing against the wind, with a loose cannon ref, fantastic result.

So where does that leave us for the summer, the panel looks very strong and very youthful to me, when you actually sit down and look at how we may start and what we have to spring from the bench we are looking in very god shape even if Dermo and Bernard arent seen until 2019. I suspect Dermo will be back though.

What stands out is the evolution of the panel and maybe even a changing of some of the guard in the last two years, the side is looking pretty youthful with some of the lads with 5 medals being very well managed to contribute. There are some real battles for positions across the lines that i wouldn't like to call. But massive massive options and depth everywhere.

So the panel is looking good:

__________________________Stephen Cluxton________________________________
___________________________Evan Comerford_______________________________

Philly McMahon___________Johnny Cooper_____________Michael Fitzsimons
MCGowen___________________ ___O Shea______________________Davy Byrne

John Small________________Cian O'Sullivan________________Jack McCaffrey
Darren Daly__________________ Murchan___________________Eric Lowndes
Mulally

_______________________Brian Fenton______James McCarthy__________________
__________________________________MDMcA_____
___________________Emmet O'Conghaile______Ciaran Reddin__________

Niall Scully_______________Con O'Callaghan___________Ciaran Kilkenny
Brian Howard_____________Paul Flynn______________Diarmuid Connolly
Shane Carthy

Paddy Andrews____________Dean Rock____________Paul Mannion
Cormac Costello___________Eoghan O'Gara__________Kevin McManamon
Conor McHugh____________Paddy Small_____________Bernard Brogan

Personally i think we will go under the radar publicity wise going into the championship, media and general public are sick hearing about us and how good we are is old news. Media focus will be on the likes of Galway and Mayo early doors and Kerry i think will turkey shoot Munster racking up some scores and with the new faces down there will be built up.

We are very nicely poised with everyone back to have a real crack and continuing to make history. Our first 15 out will take some beating before we spring the bench.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 1887 - 03/04/2018 13:18:43    2090655

Link

* Forgot to throw Basquel into the forwards.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 1887 - 03/04/2018 14:17:27    2090669

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "Its been a massively positive league lads, for me i cant remember another campaign were we have taken so much from it.

The positives have been the padding out of the squad and some genuine contenders for starting slots just look at what has been blodded in this league Comerford, O Shea, Small, Mually, Murchan, Howard, Basquel. Other lads who have been on fringes like McHugh, Redden, O Conghaile, Carthy etc have all been opportunists and all go home with league medals. Of all the talk of Kerry and Galway young players, is there anyone who bloods and develops youngsters like Dublin. Its hugely positive and as we know the strength of the panel is key.

Essentially we have won the league playing half the of seasoned established players and the other half fringe players and youngsters. Granted we have looked almost human in some games but such is the cost of devloping players and evolving the panel. Galway looked about as good as could be on offer this year and with a hybrid team they were beaten by four points, dont get me wrong Galway were excellent, but four points with a hybrid team, with 14 men, playing against the wind, with a loose cannon ref, fantastic result.

So where does that leave us for the summer, the panel looks very strong and very youthful to me, when you actually sit down and look at how we may start and what we have to spring from the bench we are looking in very god shape even if Dermo and Bernard arent seen until 2019. I suspect Dermo will be back though.

What stands out is the evolution of the panel and maybe even a changing of some of the guard in the last two years, the side is looking pretty youthful with some of the lads with 5 medals being very well managed to contribute. There are some real battles for positions across the lines that i wouldn't like to call. But massive massive options and depth everywhere.

So the panel is looking good:

__________________________Stephen Cluxton________________________________
___________________________Evan Comerford_______________________________

Philly McMahon___________Johnny Cooper_____________Michael Fitzsimons
MCGowen___________________ ___O Shea______________________Davy Byrne

John Small________________Cian O'Sullivan________________Jack McCaffrey
Darren Daly__________________ Murchan___________________Eric Lowndes
Mulally

_______________________Brian Fenton______James McCarthy__________________
__________________________________MDMcA_____
___________________Emmet O'Conghaile______Ciaran Reddin__________

Niall Scully_______________Con O'Callaghan___________Ciaran Kilkenny
Brian Howard_____________Paul Flynn______________Diarmuid Connolly
Shane Carthy

Paddy Andrews____________Dean Rock____________Paul Mannion
Cormac Costello___________Eoghan O'Gara__________Kevin McManamon
Conor McHugh____________Paddy Small_____________Bernard Brogan

Personally i think we will go under the radar publicity wise going into the championship, media and general public are sick hearing about us and how good we are is old news. Media focus will be on the likes of Galway and Mayo early doors and Kerry i think will turkey shoot Munster racking up some scores and with the new faces down there will be built up.

We are very nicely poised with everyone back to have a real crack and continuing to make history. Our first 15 out will take some beating before we spring the bench."
Jayus when it is written down like that the choice of Forwards in particular look very impressive.
As you alluded to it got the stage where I forget about injured fellas or fellas that are left out (bar Connolly).
Everything is so seamless.
Even Spillane, Brolly and the likes are slowly (but grudgingly) praising the Blue corner now.
It is some era to be a Dub supporter.
It makes me laugh to think there are Dublin supporters aged 18 and below now who know no different.
Spoiled rotten the lot of them!
They should be shown the 04 leinster match between Westmeath and Dublin on repeat!

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 945 - 03/04/2018 16:32:55    2090726

Link