Fermanagh Forum

NL Division 3 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Hill_hound:  "Agree with you on the whole. I think we do lack the depth of that Donegal side though, mostly due to management ignoring untapped potential 6 or 7 years ago, but I do feel a few days in croker are a strong possibility. We are very hard to beat and if we can get a few of the other forwards up and running - corrigan/sean we will have a forward line to envy. Good to see seamie on the team of the week - on par with Michael Murphy on his day."
Quote hillhound........"We are very hard to beat.................

Can you remember 2 weeks ago when westmeath beat us by 2 points?

abitawit (Fermanagh) - Posts: 272 - 27/03/2018 17:35:17    2088813

Link

Replying To abitawit:  "Quote hillhound........"We are very hard to beat.................

Can you remember 2 weeks ago when westmeath beat us by 2 points?"
Yes, Westmeath lucky to win in the last few mins in their back garden. Don't forget the Armagh, Longford, Sligo, Offaly, Derry and Wexford games. I think we are showing a lot of promise for the year ahead if we can get a few more forwards playing to their potential.

Hill_hound (Fermanagh) - Posts: 43 - 28/03/2018 12:07:17    2089001

Link

Replying To Hill_hound:  "Yes, Westmeath lucky to win in the last few mins in their back garden. Don't forget the Armagh, Longford, Sligo, Offaly, Derry and Wexford games. I think we are showing a lot of promise for the year ahead if we can get a few more forwards playing to their potential."
I hope fermanagh win on Saturday as much as anybody but let's be realistic about what level this team are at...westmeath beat us fair n square, if their had of been another 2mins played in the derry game we probly would of lost it...im delighted we secured promotion down in longford but were still to see this team put in a solid 70mins this year....maybe that's a good thing.

looking ahead to the final, fermanaghs ace card is supposedly their defence. Armagh have matched us defensively throughout the league you could probably argue they have been defensively better they have conceded only 3 goals compared to our 7conceded.

at the other end of the field Armagh have outscored fermanagh by 17points over 7 games..fermanaghs biggest problem this year is arguably the struggle to create enough scoring opportunities....

I'm hoping fermanagh put together their first good 70min performance of the leauge on Saturday night.if we do we have every chance of winning a national title..
if we perform to the level of the last 7 games the only rational outcome would be an Armagh win.

abitawit (Fermanagh) - Posts: 272 - 28/03/2018 13:26:41    2089030

Link

Replying To abitawit:  "I hope fermanagh win on Saturday as much as anybody but let's be realistic about what level this team are at...westmeath beat us fair n square, if their had of been another 2mins played in the derry game we probly would of lost it...im delighted we secured promotion down in longford but were still to see this team put in a solid 70mins this year....maybe that's a good thing.

looking ahead to the final, fermanaghs ace card is supposedly their defence. Armagh have matched us defensively throughout the league you could probably argue they have been defensively better they have conceded only 3 goals compared to our 7conceded.

at the other end of the field Armagh have outscored fermanagh by 17points over 7 games..fermanaghs biggest problem this year is arguably the struggle to create enough scoring opportunities....

I'm hoping fermanagh put together their first good 70min performance of the leauge on Saturday night.if we do we have every chance of winning a national title..
if we perform to the level of the last 7 games the only rational outcome would be an Armagh win."
Cannot underestimate the value of the open Croke Park pitch. Under Rory, Fermanagh are flying fit which is one of his traits for every team he has coached. The presence of Seamie alone will always cause a pit of panic among the defense due to his ability to score from anywhere if he gets the ball - he cannot be contained 1 v 1 so Armagh will have to deploy some sort of scheme in order to counter this. I can see Seamie mainly relying on dead ball scores this weekend compared to his usual exceptional outings but I believe Fermanagh will be able to get most of their joy from the runners coming from deep due to the extra attention being paid to Seamie. Those 5 yard gaps they usually have to run through will now be 10 yards wide giving more time to get the shot off.

If you look at both teams, man for man, Fermanagh clearly have the pick of the bunch. No one really to threaten us up front from Armagh and they certainly can be got at the back. If we break even in the middle third then I see no other logical outcome than a Fermangh victory!

2222 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 46 - 29/03/2018 11:01:15    2089279

Link

Replying To 2222:  "Cannot underestimate the value of the open Croke Park pitch. Under Rory, Fermanagh are flying fit which is one of his traits for every team he has coached. The presence of Seamie alone will always cause a pit of panic among the defense due to his ability to score from anywhere if he gets the ball - he cannot be contained 1 v 1 so Armagh will have to deploy some sort of scheme in order to counter this. I can see Seamie mainly relying on dead ball scores this weekend compared to his usual exceptional outings but I believe Fermanagh will be able to get most of their joy from the runners coming from deep due to the extra attention being paid to Seamie. Those 5 yard gaps they usually have to run through will now be 10 yards wide giving more time to get the shot off.

If you look at both teams, man for man, Fermanagh clearly have the pick of the bunch. No one really to threaten us up front from Armagh and they certainly can be got at the back. If we break even in the middle third then I see no other logical outcome than a Fermangh victory!"
I really hope you are joking.
Firstly, Do you think Kieran McGeeney won't have Armagh flying fit?
Also, You clearly have no idea about football if you think they have nobody to worry the Fermanagh defence. Ethan Rafferty has been one of the players of the league for a start. Rory Grugan is extremely consistent from frees and play as well. Andy Murnin as well can be dangerous, Not to mention Gavin McParland who made his return last week or the week before. That is just off the top of my head without even talking about Forker being a class playmaker. Again I will presume you are joking with that statement. Armagh will no doubt be favourites with their firepower up front. But I still think we can do it if we all turn up on the day !

shotgun (Fermanagh) - Posts: 35 - 30/03/2018 02:26:36    2089464

Link

We may have been fitter than Armagh and we seemed to finish stronger, but u have to wonder how much fresher and fitter we would have been if the team including some of the management team hadn't went on the beer last Sunday night, so much so that some people couldn't make it to work on Monday . Now I have nothing against them blowing off a bit of steam they had work hard for the last 3/4 months but surely with a national title on the line 6 days later it would have made sense to hold off on the celebration until tonight. A question should be asked of the management after all they call all the shots and we as ordinary members of the gaa pay them handsomely
to do just that. I think it's time our county board steps up to mark and start asking a. few hard questions. In fact when our county chairman was meeting the team today he could have asked that very question .

smiler (Fermanagh) - Posts: 76 - 31/03/2018 21:36:05    2089797

Link

Replying To smiler:  "We may have been fitter than Armagh and we seemed to finish stronger, but u have to wonder how much fresher and fitter we would have been if the team including some of the management team hadn't went on the beer last Sunday night, so much so that some people couldn't make it to work on Monday . Now I have nothing against them blowing off a bit of steam they had work hard for the last 3/4 months but surely with a national title on the line 6 days later it would have made sense to hold off on the celebration until tonight. A question should be asked of the management after all they call all the shots and we as ordinary members of the gaa pay them handsomely
to do just that. I think it's time our county board steps up to mark and start asking a. few hard questions. In fact when our county chairman was meeting the team today he could have asked that very question ."
Your manager is a busy man assistant manager of Killybegs actually its him who is calling the shots.

neutral (None) - Posts: 231 - 31/03/2018 22:18:31    2089815

Link

The game was lost due to poor goalkeeping as that jammy goal allowed the orchard men to steal the cup from a better team. Why did Gallagher not get his players to close the many open gaps which permitted Armagh's forwards to penetrate through to for scoring? Another point, the black card was a bit harsh for Sean Quigley when you review the footage. Final point, what has happened to Tomas Corrigan as his performance falls short of previous seasons?

ekn_teacher (Fermanagh) - Posts: 223 - 31/03/2018 23:32:32    2089842

Link

If the match was decided on solo runs we would have won it by a mile. We might even top the national charts for all four leagues. Unfortunately solo runs dont win matches now - quite the reverse in fact! We got another lesson yesterday on direct football and there is plenty of time to fix it before Brewster in May.

fearman (Fermanagh) - Posts: 20 - 01/04/2018 09:56:53    2089876

Link

Replying To neutral:  "Your manager is a busy man assistant manager of Killybegs actually its him who is calling the shots."
Please explain ?

smiler (Fermanagh) - Posts: 76 - 01/04/2018 11:03:13    2089891

Link

that wasn't the result anyone from fermanagh wanted but going by the form of fermanagh going into this game Its the result I expected.

17 point return was pretty good scoring...but 8 from play still highlights a problem....fermanagh get far to fond of playing behind the ball...armagh were more effective going forward

ultimately thou despite what the style of play looks like their was only 2points that separated the teams at the end. the turning point off the game was imo conceding the goal and letting the game slip to a 5point margin that was allways going to be a tough ask clawing that back. from watching the reply it's a bad goal...the ball was dropping under the bar but instead off catching the keeper slapped the ball down into the center of the D. it was a tricky high ball in but any decent county standard keeper would be expected to catch that. the fact is fermanagh conceded 8 goals over the 8 leauge games and at least 5 of them goals came from goalkeeping mistakes.

abitawit (Fermanagh) - Posts: 272 - 01/04/2018 12:19:52    2089910

Link

Eoin Donnelly went missing in the second half, don't know what happened to him. Our keeper and defenders were at fault for the goal. Pat Cadden needs to push or punch that away and the defenders need to actually move instead of watching the Armagh attackers run towards the ball. And someone tell me how Armagh didn't get a single black card in that game. Cynical, dangerous tackling all game and they only get yellows. Ridiculous.
We badly need a left footed free taker too.

effin (Fermanagh) - Posts: 31 - 01/04/2018 15:02:44    2089947

Link

Look plenty of motivation now to do the business in Brewster in May
You win or you learn and we learned a lot yesterday .. Pat Cadden is learning a lot too and his distribution was excellent .. Che and him need to work better under high ball .. I also read where Aaron Kerman said the score line flattered us .. so clearly Armagh have little respect for us .. suits us fine .. another poster said we rely on frees too much but surely that shows just how much Armagh was fouling yesterday where as Armagh's first scorable free came on the last 5 mins so our discipline was excellent
murnin is one of the best ball winners in the country but he will find it harder in our tight home patch
Also how many frees can a team give away before someone walks for repeat fouling .. clearly there is no limit
Can't wait for 19th May now
Also fair play Tomas Clarke as first run out for young lad all year great fetch and few good probing runs ... certainly one for the future

AnBuachaillGlas (Fermanagh) - Posts: 287 - 02/04/2018 11:44:03    2090264

Link